sportsmanship is not dead it would seem.

Saw that last night on The Project.  Yes, great sportsmanship.  But I guess the other side of it is the leader should have known the course!

25 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Look closely at the very start of the clip....pretty sure old mate gave him a shove then felt bad about it.

I'd say that it was less of a shove and more of a heel clip or body contact when old mate went in a direction that the other dude wasn't expecting. It looks like he was trying to check up a bit.

7 hours ago, AA7 said:

Lots of people saying he should've known the course.

I have seen this article going around and surprisingly even on mainstream TV.
Must be a slow news day.

Looked to me like they were battling it out shoulder to shoulder and a mistake was made.
Not sure why he needed to stop and give up the spot.
Agree, its in the rules to know the course. 

James works with us at Scientific Triathlon, great bloke.

My understanding is that he had gone the wrong way before what you see in this video (50m before finish chute), then this happened after the other athlete had caught up due to that.

In any case, a nice gesture by the other athlete and really did it because he thought it was right thing to do as I think we can safely assume he wouldn’t have expected to become a viral hit

• Like 3

I was thinking about this further last night, because what else do you do on a long run?

It's interesting how old mate is being hailed a modern hero for stopping, but what happened to "don't ever quit" or "it's not over until it's over". There is a fine line between what happened here and it turning into "Greatest Sprint Finish Evaaar" or "Never Give UP!!" or "It's Not Over Until It's Over!"

What if old mate had reeled in the other guy by a minute in the last 2km and was chasing him down and that's what forced him to make the wrong turn? What if he cracked under the pressure and he was going to lose anyway? Should he have stopped then? 

The race isn't done until you're across the line, and in my mind it would have been fair game for him to keep P3.

• Like 2