10 years ago, most members were active triathletes but not now

Because the sport is about

bucket listers in do a few Ironmans and gone  

they settle down and don’t have the time to race.

they go to other sports

And then there are those that just talk about them.  Most here now days. 

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

Again, so?  And no, I haven't wondered why anyone has left.

I don't wonder wither because people move on.

Look back at Peepee and JimmyC

Both amazingly good athletes and the knowledge was incredible between the 2 of them, but they had families and moved away from the sport.

I guess the question is, Why do people stay on a forum when they don't do the sport anymore?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Both amazingly good athletes and the knowledge was incredible between the 2 of them, but they had families and moved away from the sport.

I guess the question is, Why do people stay on a forum when they don't do the sport anymore?

Because you don't have to participate in a sport to have an interest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very simply, because it's also a community, and friendships form that surpass the necessity of a hobby to sustain it!  Do you still know or talk to anyone you went to school with?  If so, why?  You don't go to school with them anymore!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Very simply, because it's also a community, and friendships form that surpass the necessity of a hobby to sustain it!  Do you still know or talk to anyone you went to school with?  If so, why?  You don't go to school with them anymore!

Can you be part of a community/Sport when you aren't really part of it?

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Absolutely.  

• Like 1

The fact there are other rooms here on trailrunning, MTB, sandbox etc shows that people may come here for tri, but often stay for other things. 

If you are mean enough about those chats, you will have very few less to talk tri's with

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Peter said:
44 minutes ago, Rob said:

When I joined this forum 10 years ago, most members were active triathletes.  Have you ever wondered why most of them have left?

define "active" as a threshold for your support of us being here.

Done one in the last 6 months?  12? 

Distance? 

Goals to do a first one? 

Frequency? 

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

When you understand that everything is about the people involved not the activity itself then you'll understand why this question is so stupid.

• Like 3

sure.

I still won't be holding my breathe to see AJ at a tri anytime soon.

Turts, I guess someone that hasn't done a triathlon in the last 3 years of any distance is someone I don't get why they post here.

Surely they have a new interest they would like to discuss with other people in person or online.

Mind you, some people live off their glory days when they were a hero at school.  And achieved nothing since.

Just now, Peter said:

I still won't be holding my breathe to see AJ at a tri anytime soon.

No you won't.  Medical advice is that events such as triathlon are now dangerous to my ongoing desire to live to a ripe old age.  

14 minutes ago, Peter said:

Turts, I guess someone that hasn't done a triathlon in the last 3 years of any distance is someone I don't get why they post here.

It's been over 12 months since my last triathlon. 

I may never do another one - but I will maintain an interest in the sport through being a TO and/or volunteer. 

I will also maintain an interest in swimming and riding, and the trail running/walking aspect. 

Does this mean I have 18 months left to be able to validly post or read here? 

Do all event organisers participate in triathlons on a regular basis? There is a Race Directors thread here too. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Peter said:

Do they really move away from the sport though?  Swim, ride and run is an active lifestyle.  I know plenty of inactive competition triathletes who still log decent hours.

I still do all three, just not obsessively anymore.  I'd rather go on a decent golf trip or spend a week in Derby or Thredbo than pay a grand plus prep costs for an Ironman, something that I find a pretty underwhelming experience knowing that getting around is a given.  I race short stuff every other year or so.

But about the forum, it is like a good car crash.  I cant stop looking at the Covid and Politics threads.  NFI why.  I need serious therapy.  I have yet to a see an unexpected concession from either side of either thread, but I live in hope.  I am like a pokie addict living in hope of the jackpot.

Edited by Diamonds
typo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
7 minutes ago, Turts said:

It's been over 12 months since my last triathlon. 

I may never do another one - but I will maintain an interest in the sport through being a TO and/or volunteer. 

I will also maintain an interest in swimming and riding, and the trail running/walking aspect. 

Does this mean I have 18 months left to be able to validly post or read here? 

Do all event organisers participate in triathlons on a regular basis? There is a Race Directors thread here too. 

I think the highlighted part is way different to others here.

Once again most on here don't even volunteer but still SAY they want to be part of the community.

You are very different

Is it having to deal with the fact that you will never be as good as you once were? I mean what happens when people can no longer run 4 minute ks or 20 seconds/open water (I don't think I ever did this! :)) 100, or 35 km/hr ride averages? Is it something to be ashamed of to run 5 or even 6 minute ks?

I think becoming slower is a bitter pill to swallow and most triathletes come back into it because they are still AG competitive or they simply do it for fun. I must admit, if it wasn't for the convenience of the local (awesome!) club races I probably would have dropped off the triathlon radar.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think the highlighted part is way different to others here.

Once again most on here don't even volunteer but still SAY they want to be part of the community.

You are very different

and I've always been shiite at it.  So I never felt ashamed by dropping below any hour time expectation. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is it having to deal with the fact that you will never be as good as you once were? I mean what happens when people can no longer run 4 minute ks or 20 seconds/open water (I don't think I ever did this! :)) 100, or 35 km/hr ride averages? Is it something to be ashamed of to run 5 or even 6 minute ks?

I think becoming slower is a bitter pill to swallow and most triathletes come back into it because they are still AG competitive or they simply do it for fun. I must admit, if it wasn't for the convenience of the local (awesome!) club races I probably would have dropped off the triathlon radar.

That's why we have the enticer. 

Go hard.  Try not to blow your heart up.

Finish before the long course people

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I reckon there is some truth in that.  

But, the freshness of the challenge fades eventually and it isn't sustainable to put aside 12-15 hours a week and still expect to be involved in your kids lives.  That leaves you the choice of paying to do it poorly or changing the way you view it or participate.

And that's why the A type personalities move on from the sport and forum.

Their personality couldnt deal with not being as good as they were. Unless they are winning their age group, of which only one person can do.

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Jimmy c also said any person under 50 should do 40k tt in under 50 mins then had a cry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And I understand how your answer just then wasn't actually answering the question of why you don't understand why people persist in hangin out here.

I understand why they do, and I'm satisfied in my understanding of that.

• Like 3

I don't intend have any active plans to do another tri but could well do for sure.  I'm a 'toe dipper' in tri these days and my last one was over 2 years ago.  In fact, I think I've always been a toe dipper.

SBR training though gives you such a great pillar to do other things, like trail, XC, road running or TTs.  I like to do all of that but it ebbs and flows depending what my planned year looks like.

There is no forum for that really, unless you want to sign up for umpteen different ones and not participate much in them, then have a spike, then drop off.

I ask the opposite questions more.  When there are myriad endurance events out there now (in a normal year, I can race every single weekend, even in the UK), why do people remain welded to tri, just doing the same thing year in year out?  To me, it lacks imagination and closes off a world of experiences.

As for the forum?  I like to stay in touch with the friends I made through the sport in Oz and this forum does that but if it wasn't here, I wouldn't lose any sleep TBH. It's changed so much and I having an owner that couldn't answer straight questions didn't help.

Rog and I walked away the same day, I came back to wish everyone well during COVID and post a bit now and then but mainly stick to OFF Road or the Training thread.

The constant ganging up members that have a different opinion than somebody else gets real old and most days days makes me wish I had more resolve and not bothered to wish anyone well during COVID

• Like 6
On 21/09/2020 at 2:03 PM, Peter said:

That's why we have the enticer. 

Go hard.  Try not to blow your heart up.

Finish before the long course people

I just entered my 1st try for the summer, 300mts 10k 3k.
I’m planning on killing it in the transitions. I might put some flat peddles on my Tri bike and wear my runners in all 3 legs lol

i don’t really want to do it but I’d like to keep posting here so I guess I must lol

Edited by Mike Del

The constant ganging up members that have a different opinion than somebody else gets real old and most days days makes me wish I had more resolve and not bothered to wish anyone well during COVID

Yep. Just because people like me or more or ironjimbo think something else, we have people pile on. 

Some people sit back and take it, other like us take people on.  

the funny bit is people think I even care.  I don’t care what others think. Never have never will.

living a life you don’t believe just to please others is lame in my opinion. 

people appear online like they are as holy as the pope. But they aren’t.  

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yep. Just because people like me or more or ironjimbo think something else, we have people pile on. 

Some people sit back and take it, other like us take people on.  

the funny bit is people think I even care.  I don’t care what others think. Never have never will.

living a life you don’t believe just to please others is lame in my opinion. 

people appear online like they are as holy as the pope. But they aren’t.  

If you read objectively you might rethink who is piling on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Rog and I walked away the same day, I came back to wish everyone well during COVID and post a bit now and then but mainly stick to OFF Road or the Training thread.

I'm glad you came back for a bit mate. 

I'm in a sucky mood as I know I won't do any more tri or trailrunning, but love seeing the enthusiasm you now have for the trail scene. I kinda feel like I had 5 good years in that, and life caught up with me. 

Being in Vic in an essential service on the border, I am in the epicentre of COVID-crap - and the Melbourne/regional divide plus border issues.  But I'm not alone.  Neither is anyone on here, no matter what their opinion.   Sometimes it's like watching Dr Phil, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round and get things done. 

• Like 4

Thanks and well said Turts.  It can't be easy for you, straddling the border like that.  I'm thinking of deferring Arc of Attrition as it looks like supplying your own crew could be mandatory and they may not get access to the indoors for aid stations.

Given this will be an ultra in UK winter on the Cornish coast and I'm not that experienced in that, I might leave it until 2022. My new job is mega stressy and extremely under national political cosh right now, I should concentrate on that.

I also think more restrictions are coming here. So for me it will be a 'reset' and concentrate on the SDW100 miler in June and fingers crossed that some version of normality is in place then.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 5
18 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Jimmy c also said any person under 50 should do 40k tt in under 50 mins then had a cry 

Jimmy is a great athlete and coach, at the time the place was prone to saying things like:

Any able bodied man under 40 should be going under 9 hours stuff the 10 hour at IM and its not that hard. 

People just didn't want it enough, then came the under 50 minute TT standard. I thought sure for 60 minutes. Sub 50 is pro tour stuff, Tony Martin in his wins at WC was going 45 sometimes a bit lower or higher, though one year it was a paved gold road in Doha.

The Australian elite TT on a 37.5 km course were not all breaking 50 minutes https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/cycling-australia-road-national-championships-2020/elite-men-s-individual-time-trial/results/

This was also in the context of the IM Melbourne results where people who were not up the front in the packs were the useless ones who were always going to moan.

Still the place is poorer for having lost those members as the parry and thrust of those discussions was always a bit of fun and at least we were talking about the sport.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Diamonds said:

But, the freshness of the challenge fades eventually and it isn't sustainable to put aside 12-15 hours a week and still expect to be involved in your kids lives.  That leaves you the choice of paying to do it poorly or changing the way you view it or participate.

Exactly. One of the reasons I did the travelling IM thing for so many years. A new reace, new city, new people to meet and things to experience. 

After doing Busso & Port for years my family was burnt out. They were no longer excited about going to either location and hated the 12 to 15 hours a week I was away training. I was also the same my training became less and less and I started to no longer enjoy it but for some strange reason I kept going back. 

I had a two year break and then went and raced in Mexico and loved the travel/race combo.  

My family also found it easier to deal with the training, knowing we were going to have an awesome holiday. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2020 at 6:26 PM, Peter said:

When?

Depends on dictator dan. Christmas club race is looking good. Can’t see 2xu races happening before then.

On 21/09/2020 at 1:19 PM, -- AJ -- said:

No you won't.  Medical advice is that events such as triathlon are now dangerous to my ongoing desire to live to a ripe old age.  

Better to burnt out than fade away..........

Better to burn out than it is to rust........

Neil Young - My My Hey Hey

19 hours ago, Greyman said:

Depends on dictator dan. Christmas club race is looking good. Can’t see 2xu races happening before then.

I certainly hope so - I didn't kick off my swim training in the fricken freezing cold yesterday for nothing! Isn't amazing how wetsuits shrink over Winter..?!

Enticer's looking good at this stage..... :)

• Haha 1