IM Cairns: 450 entrants, 75 Kona spots

Yes. 

The 2020 Cairns Airport IRONMAN Asia-Pacific Championship Cairns will have 75 slots to the 2021 IRONMAN World Championship held in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, October 9 2021. 

For up to date information please stay tuned to www.ironman.com/im-world-championship for the latest information.

For more information on how to qualify for the IRONMAN World Championship, visit www.ironmanworldchampionship.com

Edited by Peter
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was a brutal tough race  The water looked calm but on the 2nd lap the chop picked up It was so hot I stopped at each bouy and let water in the front of the wetsuit  So so hot on th

I had a dream last night that I came out of retirement & was going to race Ironman Melb.  - The chain on my bike was rusted  - I hadn't swam in over two years But I was going to get

I honestly never knew crocs swam this fast.       

Posted Images

On 24/09/2020 at 6:52 PM, Chuckie M said:

Summer has arrived early. 

Funny you say that, cause it's been windy as and cold at my place, and snowing down south!

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Been there, done that. Over rated.

Agree.  In 2011 cost me about 10k just for the 8 days in Kona plus food etc...  

done it but wouldn’t go again. 

11 hours ago, goughy said:

Funny you say that, cause it's been windy as and cold at my place, and snowing down south!

You are practically interstate some 1500k's from me. I am surprised that Dan has locked you down?🤪

Edited by Chuckie M
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Am I correct in thinking that there's zero coverage of Cairns besides the few Insta Stories? 

No tweets? 

Live cameras. They did a Facebook photo or tweet I saw this morning. Follow Luke McKenzie insta if you want to know what’s happening too. 

Just watching Luke McKenzies insta story and there are going to be so many that miss the turn to go back out and just ride straight back to town.  If he wasn’t there yelling at people, they would have missed the u turn for sure and just headed back to the finish.

its a disaster waiting to happen for sure. 

seems no officials there. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Just watching Luke McKenzies insta story and there are going to be so many that miss the turn to go back out and just ride straight back to town.  If he wasn’t there yelling at people, they would have missed the u turn for sure and just headed back to the finish.

its a disaster waiting to happen for sure. 

seems no officials there. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

FDA1189F-C671-4C2A-97FF-CFF4B690641A.png

F12975B7-E0F0-4EEF-B5BF-957A45C1C1B2.jpeg

they should put some signs out or something.......

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Excellent women’s race.  

some great results for a few of them. 

BF308312-5C33-4C62-AFBB-98D0E5F9080B.jpeg

Sarah had a drafting penalty.

Kylie Simpson had the 3rd fastest run split of the day, male and female. She's an awesome runner.

One of my club mates was a DNF on the bike. Made it through about 95km before starting to feel incredibly nauseous and dizzy. Decided to play it smart and come home in one piece.

Sounded like an absolutely brutal day.

I was wondering how many would DNF. It was very windy and warm. The heat has picked up just over the past week. I walked 8km at 1.30 and it was very warm and I am used to the heat.   

Edited by skel
5 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

That was a brutal tough race 

The water looked calm but on the 2nd lap the chop picked up

It was so hot I stopped at each bouy and let water in the front of the wetsuit 

So so hot on the bike - I didn't push too hard just so I could finish it ( and new course is quite hilly - going over Rex lookout 6 times ) 

So many people didn't finish- pulled out during the bike or the run. Quite a few went to hospital from dehydration. 

I usually finish mid field but because not that many were I was at the tail end 

Happy to say that hubby and I both finished 

Sounds like a great course in tough conditions. Awesome 

6 hours ago, Limited said:

Going through the results only 185 men finished and 30 females, There were lots of DNS. Seems like it was a good chance to go to Kona

So every woman that finished would have got a spot. 
they would have just kept rolling between age groups until all were taken and then would have rolled into the men’s.  

what a day. Kona will probably be cooler for them next October. 

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Anyone got the good oil on all the Kona spots

Well every woman that finished got a spot. 

you could work it out pretty easy just looking at the results given there 1 in 4 guys got a spot. 

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

Well every woman that finished got a spot. 

you could work it out pretty easy just looking at the results given there 1 in 4 guys got a spot. 

No they didnt

Thanks AA7. Be interesting to see if everyone takes their spot or if there are a lot of rolldowns. 5 spots in 55-59 males. Sub 13 gets a spot to Kona. Seems like they have been listening to Transitions 🙂

• Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Thanks AA7. Be interesting to see if everyone takes their spot or if there are a lot of rolldowns. 5 spots in 55-59 males. Sub 13 gets a spot to Kona. Seems like they have been listening to Transitions 🙂

Interesting, I'd be very keen to know also. There's probably quite a few people that perhaps never thought they'd be ever offered a slot, so therefore haven't really thought about it much or really aspired to it. 

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

IMG_20200928_160515.jpg

I thought the way it works is there are half the slots for me and half for men. And then they roll thru the women’s and then into men. 

well there you go. Learn something new 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I thought the way it works is there are half the slots for me and half for men. And then they roll thru the women’s and then into men. 

Only when the women have 50% of the field. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I'm surprised you didn't know the way it works Peter 😕