IM Cairns: 450 entrants, 75 Kona spots

If you're a Queenslander with Kona aspirations make sure you are on the start line

F1824: 1 entrant

F2529: 0 entrants

F3034: 2 entrants... 

Probably the best opportunity to qualify ever except for that funny race in Asia in the early 2000s where they ran the race but without IM support and had 30 or 40 slots for about 60 entrants from memory...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was a brutal tough race  The water looked calm but on the 2nd lap the chop picked up It was so hot I stopped at each bouy and let water in the front of the wetsuit  So so hot on th

I honestly never knew crocs swam this fast.       

I had a dream last night that I came out of retirement & was going to race Ironman Melb.  - The chain on my bike was rusted  - I hadn't swam in over two years But I was going to get

Posted Images

The first year of Ironman Melbourne only had one entry for F1824.  She ended up being a non-starter.  And the first year had perfect conditions.  An entire age group in a sold out event with no competitors.

My wife was in her team for the Corporate Cup Triathlon only a week or two before the Ironman. Not sure what happened.

Sunshine Coast will be an opt-in qualification procedure. At check-in, you must nominate if you intend to take a spot. Within 24 hours of the race finish you'll be contacted to inform you of qualification, and if you don't accept and pay with 48 hours, it rolls down to the next nominee. 

2 hours ago, Aidan said:

If you're a Queenslander with Kona aspirations make sure you are on the start line

Probably the best opportunity to qualify ever except for that funny race in Asia in the early 2000s where they ran the race but without IM support and had 30 or 40 slots for about 60 entrants from memory...

Guessing corky is about to enter.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Aidan said:

Ex suggested I could try racing in disguise 🤔

17 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I hear there are thousands sweating on the forecast for the next few days.

image.png.cb9d53c868919ad986255ebd8eb968d2.png

Friday & Saturday are looking good.

No point looking at the forecast. It's not going to change how I go about the race. If it's choppy in the water, I'll just take a bit longer that I hoped. If it's windy, the bike will be a bit more challenging, but being a bigger guy I'm not as affected as others. I ride to a power number so I'll just be holding 220W a little bit longer than hoped for. I'm not a super strong runner so I'll be running to a HR/power figure and sticking to my capabilities.

There's absolutely nothing that I can do to change the weather, so I'll focus on what I can control and let race day be whatever race day wants to be.

Everybody wants 0.2m swell, no wind, no rain and sub 20°C with an overcast sky for race day weather but I'm not going to pack up and go home because the forecast doesn't play ball, yet it's amazing how many people do.

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, -H- said:

I thought Ex was saying perfect weather for Mt Cootha reps at 3am 😂 😂 I must be going mad

I was

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

He would have suggested Thursday as well if he wanted it badly enough?

The forecast for tomorrow is for a fine morning, and showers developing in the afternoon. Coottha reps would be wasted.

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

Everybody wants 0.2m swell, no wind, no rain and sub 20°C with an overcast sky for race day weather but I'm not going to pack up and go home because the forecast doesn't play ball, yet it's amazing how many people do.

I was the opposite. Best races I ever had were big waves/chop, and stinking hot. I used to enjoy watching the pool swimmers suffer in the surf and then the southerners melt on the run.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Coottha reps would be wasted.

What? wash your mouth (or keyboard) out with soapy water. No such things as wasted reps on Coot-tha.

It was beautiful out there this morning at 0530hrs. (ok so I slept in 🙄 )

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, iFoz said:

What? wash your mouth (or keyboard) out with soapy water. No such things as wasted reps on Coot-tha.

What's the magpie situation around there at the moment?

37 minutes ago, BNothling said:

What's the magpie situation around there at the moment?

I've not been swooped yet. Didn't even see any, but I was only on the back of the mtn.

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

Obviously this is the reason why you didn’t make it to race hawaii in 2019 and again in 2020.  

you just don’t want it enough. 

• Sad 1

Personally, while complaining now & then after being hit, I've never changed a route or avoided somewhere due to magpies. I remember the one at Kelvin Grove that used to get me nearly every morning heading up the hill. It would swoop & sometimes make contact half a dozen times as you were going slow & it had all the time in the world. Then in the afternoons it would try swooping but had the world of trouble as I'd be doing 60km/hr down the hill.

The worst was one at Newport Waterways, just near the marina. I used to do 120km on my way to work some days, so would have a backpack on. It's landed on the backpack and taken a go at my ear while sitting there. I still went back the next week.

Maybe I'm lucky because I haven't been hit bad, but maybe that's because I just tuck my head down & ride rather than react and turn my head to look at the bird.

I just look back later & laugh.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Personally, while complaining now & then after being hit, I've never changed a route or avoided somewhere due to magpies. I remember the one at Kelvin Grove that used to get me nearly every morning heading up the hill. It would swoop & sometimes make contact half a dozen times as you were going slow & it had all the time in the world. Then in the afternoons it would try swooping but had the world of trouble as I'd be doing 60km/hr down the hill.

The worst was one at Newport Waterways, just near the marina. I used to do 120km on my way to work some days, so would have a backpack on. It's landed on the backpack and taken a go at my ear while sitting there. I still went back the next week.

Maybe I'm lucky because I haven't been hit bad, but maybe that's because I just tuck my head down & ride rather than react and turn my head to look at the bird.

I just look back later & laugh.

Sitting on your backpack, ex, that’s hilarious. Hope someone saw and got a chuckle out of it. Despite knowing the terror caused to the person on the bike, it always brings a smile to my face to see a magpie in pursuit. Postie, even better.

I’m still adamant that the city magpies have nothing on the country highway magpies. They wouldn’t last 10 minutes in the bush 

Just a reminder that those of us in communist Melbourne under the Adolf Andrews lockdown have until midnight tonight to defer to next years race or get credit for another IM in Australia over the next 3 years. Otherwise you just lose your entry.

On 18/09/2020 at 10:22 PM, Peter said:

Berkel and tim reed. Cairns via SA 

good Video explaining and interview 

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/other-sports/other-sports/ironman-training-covid-style!786310

Well they just wasted a heap of cash and time isolating. 

byron bay / Ballina are in the Queensland border bubble.  

they could have just gone straight to cairns. No quarantine.  LOL 😂

On 18/09/2020 at 9:04 PM, POT said:

Just a reminder that those of us in communist Melbourne under the Adolf Andrews lockdown have until midnight tonight to defer to next years race or get credit for another IM in Australia over the next 3 years. Otherwise you just lose your entry.

First world problems. So tough.

Okay should have said from Wednesday as they are in SA and finish their iso on Wednesday   They came from nsw   

SA will reopen its borders to NSW at midnight on Wednesday, as long as there is no community transmission of coronavirus reported in NSW today.

As well as being able to enter SA, NSW residents will no longer have to quarantine for 14 days.

I had a dream last night that I came out of retirement & was going to race Ironman Melb. 

- The chain on my bike was rusted 

- I hadn't swam in over two years

But I was going to get in and give it a crack. Luckily the alarm went off before the race started. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like the look of the new course changes. Whilst the course looks to be slightly tougher, the roads are good and you get to do the most scenic parts of the bike course three times. Rex’s lookout is no big deal and the rest of the little lumps give you a chance to get out the saddle, switch muscle groups and stretch out: which makes it much more pleasant by the time you get off the bike IMO. 

The limiting factor on bike splits will be the wind (as usual) as the course (whether it be this year or previous years) has 30km more southerly cycling (into the prevailing head wind). However, all things being equal I expect that the pros will be able to bike the new course within 5 minutes of what they could achieve on the same day on the old course. If the winner’s time is 8.30 it will because of the conditions on the day and the caliber of the field. I reckon the winner will go sub 8.10

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

31deg predicted, ouch.

The heat will cook many. Summer has arrived early. I did a 4k rough as guts open water swim today In Townsville. It will be very similar in Palm cove including the crocs. Don't worry about the stingers the crocs and sharks ate them!