Starts Saturday night. 

but what’s the chances of it lasting?

If I was the team manager,I’d want my guy in the lead from the start as I’d assume whoever is winning when its cancelled will win. 

tainted.  But still in the record books 

079D16D9-82FD-471F-AEE1-8659A87966F3.jpeg

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If any organisation was going to have a large group of people test negative, it'd be the UCI.

Yeah it’s sad isn’t it.  as someone famous once said “The last thing I’ll say for the people that don’t believe in cycling, the cynics and the sceptics, I’m sorry for you. I’m sorry you can’t d

Posted Images

I will probably stick with the 1 hour highlights package. Not many live stages. Nice looks good. Great place for a ironman. The Ride magazine le tour guide sucks this year..🤔🙄

3 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

The Ride magazine le tour guide sucks this year.

They probably did no preparation to put it together as they wouldn't have thought it would get this close to going ahead.

49 minutes ago, BNothling said:

It'll be fine until a spectator gets in a rider's face going up a climb and gives it to them.

I'll be happy if they keep the spectators away on the mountain climbs.  They give me the shits.  Everyone cheering is great, but the dickheads who want to run alongside the bikes, I'm always hoping someone will take them out with a coathanger.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rob said:

I'll be happy if they keep the spectators away on the mountain climbs.  They give me the shits.  Everyone cheering is great, but the dickheads who want to run alongside the bikes, I'm always hoping someone will take them out with a coathanger.

0ECD109F-C356-4A29-8210-06376A2DB487.jpeg

Caleb is lucky to still be in the race as it leaves Nice tonight. Two support staff tested positive for Covid this week, but at that point the race was operating under UCI guidelines that said if 2 riders test positive the team is pulled out. As of today, the French Government has stated that if 2 of the team, support staff included test positive within 7 days, the team will be pulled, or the race will stop. 

Lotto are lucky that there cases were prior to this rule being in place, so are allowed to continue.

Let's hope for an exciting race, with all the drama on the road rather than with the medical reports.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
Posted (edited)

Win tomorrow night is my suggestion and hold on until its cancelLed.  

I just can’t see it lasting all the way to Paris now 

Edited by Peter

Quite a messy stage 1, with lots of accidents (the same as nearly every race this year), and a good sprint finish. 

For those interested, but didn't stay up or record the racing, here is the SBS highlight show.  https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/1776486979841/Daily-Stage-1-Update-Tour-de-France-2020

41 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Turts, I agree. Less team, more individual. I find it more interesting racing......

The last 10 km or so was great.  The sprint finish was interesting, and quite a surprise!  You could really see the way they played, and the two who were teammates made Vos go just that smidge too early

Edited by Turts

In shocking weather, the riders at the front of the peleton called for a neutral descent of one of the climbs this morning, given the stage was all but certain to be decided in a bunch sprint 50km later. It appeared all agreed, except for Astana, who went to the front and pushed the pace.

Karma's a bitch.

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/video/1782683715769/Miguel-Angel-Lopez-Crash?fbclid=IwAR2P3MwAyW2wcio2s8prAPkJLROTqvcip6aa2wSqriYEJkwHKcWM6JuM1sU

• Haha 3

Spoiler alert: do not read if you don't know the results.

Had to laugh this morning when I saw the results. Robbie's first piece of commentary: " That's Kristoff sitting at the back, and he looks to be labouring already and we haven't even left the neutral stage. It's going to be a long Tour for him.😆" Then I think Keenan even continued on by saying that riders were coming in massively underdone, due to the uncertainty of whether the race was even going to start.

Guess he had them fooled.😉

• Like 1

Stayed up last night, which was a mistake. But the ending was worth it.

JA win was exciting to see and his style of racing and emotional transparency is just plain exciting to watch. 

GC was dull, but that's their job for now I guess. 

Polka dot jersey battle was great with Benoit Cosdefroy making a massive attack on the first climb to take full points, only to explode on the second, but then fight back to regain contact with the breakaway and take second over the top. Finished in the jersey on equal points. 

Edited by dazaau

George Hincappie is suggesting that the race is on for day 9 the rest day. 

saying that the next mass COVID testing and if enough teams have it and get removed they will declare the winner then. 

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

saying that the next mass COVID testing and if enough teams have it and get removed they will declare the winner then. 

If that's the case Julian will be hard to throw off by then. Stage 4, 6 and 8 would be the chance but they either aren't that steep or have a downhill finish... 

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

If a frenchman is leading, then yes. Otherwise, they may require at least half the tour finished to crown a winner.

20 minutes ago, zed said:

interesting the 3 french riders made a break so early. I will b surprised if that pays off. 

Two of them were going for KOM points. They were tied for the lead, so were chasing points on the first 2 Cat3 climbs to try to claim the jersey at the end of the stage. As soon as they were over those 2 climbs they went back to the peleton.

The 3rd guy is having his day of glory I would have said "day in the sun", but it's raining again), with cameras following him for most of the way. He's won combativity awards in TdF stages before, and they don't have a major GC contender, so this will be a big day for the team.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Wow! just got back from my ride to see a replay of the finish. How small was that gap Caleb flew through. Another reason I’m definitely not a sprinter lol

Edited by Mike Del
2 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Wow! just got back from my ride to see a replay of the finish. How small was that gap Caleb flew through. 

Whats gap!

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Two of them were going for KOM points. They were tied for the lead, so were chasing points on the first 2 Cat3 climbs to try to claim the jersey at the end of the stage. As soon as they were over those 2 climbs they went back to the peleton.

The 3rd guy is having his day of glory I would have said "day in the sun", but it's raining again), with cameras following him for most of the way. He's won combativity awards in TdF stages before, and they don't have a major GC contender, so this will be a big day for the team.

Yeah the commentators were saying it was pretty much for the sponsors. I didn't even know that was a thing. I wonder how much harder he worked solo vs being in the peleton? 5 hours pretty much solo. The peleton must have been having an easy day. I would have thought a 5, 6 man breakaway could have done well. 

Edited by zed
26 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah the commentators were saying it was pretty much for the sponsors. I didn't even know that was a thing. I wonder how much harder he worked solo vs being in the peleton? 5 hours pretty much solo. The peleton must have been having an easy day. 

A lot of the guys were saying it was pretty much a rest day. They just let that guy hang out the front so no-one counter-attacked.

5 minutes ago, Naut said:

A lot of the guys were saying it was pretty much a rest day. They just let that guy hang out the front so no-one counter-attacked.

It's strange but kinda of cool, they have these unofficial agreements like slowing down waiting when someone crashes or flats or whatever.

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Unbelievable.

Anthony Perez, one of the 2 that were tied for the KOM jersey, but on count-back didn't get it the night before, won both of the first 2 climbs and so had an unassailable lead and would pull the polka-dot jersey on that evening. Late in the stage he crashed into his own team car, broke his collarbone and was forced to pull out.

• Sad 1
42 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Unbelievable.

Anthony Perez, one of the 2 that were tied for the KOM jersey, but on count-back didn't get it the night before, won both of the first 2 climbs and so had an unassailable lead and would pull the polka-dot jersey on that evening. Late in the stage he crashed into his own team car, broke his collarbone and was forced to pull out.

yeah, crazy is right. Your own team car...

And Caleb's sprint included quite the detour ha ha

Edited by dazaau

Nice contest going on for the green jersey atm, with Sagan and Bennett level on points

Sagan is still a slight favourite but Bennett is getting the better of him more often than not thus far

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yates in yellow. 

What I can't understand is why Quickstep would have thought to do something that stupid, especially on a sprinter's stage, where all he had to do was finish with the pack.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What I can't understand is why Quickstep would have thought to do something that stupid, especially on a sprinter's stage, where all he had to do was finish with the pack.

Moronic. I don't understand how someone thought they would get away with it given this is the yellow jersey we are talking about, or that JA took it - he would know too. And I am not convinced the director didn't know about the decision to get him a bidon . Surely some dude doesn't go, yeah, I'll just break the rules and no one will notice without running that up the line? And why does only JA need a bidon at 20km to go?

All very weird. And why so important? And if you are going to break the rules you obviously get a domestique to do it. Not the national hero guy in yellow with the chopper on him?! 

3 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Moronic. I don't understand how someone thought they would get away with it given this is the yellow jersey we are talking about, or that JA took it - he would know too. And I am not convinced the director didn't know about the decision to get him a bidon . Surely some dude doesn't go, yeah, I'll just break the rules and no one will notice without running that up the line? And why does only JA need a bidon at 20km to go?

All very weird. And why so important? And if you are going to break the rules you obviously get a domestique to do it. Not the national hero guy in yellow with the chopper on him?! 

Bizarre.  Surely everyone on the team would know basic rules like this?

What if it was deliberate? What if for some reason he'd rather hunt than be hunted? We've all heard the stories about the pressure and media responsibilities associated with being the guy in yellow. 

The other unknown is what condition he was in. If he was absolutely parched or starting to bonk, he might have made the call himself to get a drink with some electrolyte or carbohydrate in it to get him to the finish line. Maybe he was on the verge of cramping and the 20s penalty wasn't as bad as potentially losing more time on the side of the road with cramping?

I don't think that either of these are the case, but it's worth the thought.

19 minutes ago, BNothling said:

What if it was deliberate? What if for some reason he'd rather hunt than be hunted? We've all heard the stories about the pressure and media responsibilities associated with being the guy in yellow. 

The other unknown is what condition he was in. If he was absolutely parched or starting to bonk, he might have made the call himself to get a drink with some electrolyte or carbohydrate in it to get him to the finish line. Maybe he was on the verge of cramping and the 20s penalty wasn't as bad as potentially losing more time on the side of the road with cramping?

I don't think that either of these are the case, but it's worth the thought.

Speaking as a DQT fan, I think they just f*cked it up