So what's ya non-tri related sport???

So I mean nothing swim, bike, or running related! Or maybe you don't have anything outside those 3?

For me, it would be golf.  Been crappily bashing the ball for as long as I can remember.  Got down to a 10 handicap at my best, and my best ever round was 6 over par.  Back being pretty crap at it again now.  I only get out about once a year.  Too expensive for how little I can fit in.  But it'll always consider myself a golfer.  One of my nicknames at school was golfing goughy (others were turbo trap and motor mouth).

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, goughy said:

So I mean nothing swim, bike, or running related! Or maybe you don't have anything outside those 3?

For me, it would be golf. 

Really? That surprises me. You should start a golfing sub-forum 😜 

Pink font required?  Sorry goughy, but someone had to 😁 

• Haha 2

I was a squash freak too!  Played it from about grade 4 up until I moved back to toowoomba and the bottom had fallen out of it up here.  I used to work at Jindalee Allsports in the early 90's and played there.  Bugger me the driving all over brissie though was a pain at night.  We used to complain up here when we had to drive 15mins to get to the courts.  Lost a few teeth to that game (but I did win that match 27-0, so came out on top.....).  My only claim to fame was beating Rachael Grinham, but she was like 13 or 14 at the time.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1

I've played three Aussie Rules games this season (not Masters).   I play when numbers get low with injury etc so I dont have to commit to the season.  I have coached Juniors at same club for 10 years so I have hands on the footy regularly and they just give me a call to play.  I like being the old weird guy who is still fitter than many of the 20's piss heads.

Play comp golf most Wednesdays.  Shiftwork has advantages I guess.

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 1

Played a lot of Aussie Rules Football, Cricket, Indoor Cricket, Volleyball.

Was pretty much up for any sport, except that I sucked at Basketball. At 6'3", I was sometimes asked to fill in for teams when they were short a player.  No team ever asked me twice.

Non competitive I did Indoor Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Tennis, Golf, hiking.

Had joined a Motorcycle club (racing not outlaw) and was about to start racing my motorbike at the same time I started doing Triathlons. Could not afford to do both, so decided to pick Triathlon as my new sport thinking it would be cheaper

• Like 1

Golf for me, but you already knew that Goughy!  Got down to a 2 handicap, best round was 2 under par.  Now out to 6 and lucky to break 80 (COVID enforced stoppages haven't helped)

Actually it is one thing I really struggle with, balancing my time between fitness training and golf.  I feel like I can do one or the other well, but not both.

• Like 1

I didn't get into tri until my late 30's. Before that it was mainly surfing, but that pretty much stopped when I moved from Geelong to Melbourne which was when I took up running which eventually led to tri's.

Now 20 years later I've started surfing again, before lockdown I would head down to Jan Juc on Wednesday's and catch up with a mate I grew up surfing with and usually surf Winki. Can't wait to get back down there, and to UrbnSurf in Tullamarine.

Like a few others I played squash for awhile, the most fun seemed to be the drinking sessions after each week's comp. We used to take turns driving...

• Like 3

I used to Surf (knee boarder) and probably still would if I lived near the beach. Also did some Ice Skating for a while and have also done dog Obedience trials and other dog related activities. At the moment walking the dog and also wouldn’t mind joining a bush walking club. Not really a sport, but keeps you moving.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Toolish said:

Golf for me, but you already knew that Goughy!  Got down to a 2 handicap, best round was 2 under par.  Now out to 6 and lucky to break 80 (COVID enforced stoppages haven't helped)

Actually it is one thing I really struggle with, balancing my time between fitness training and golf.  I feel like I can do one or the other well, but not both.

That's how I feel.  It kinda has to be one or the other!  And golf takes so much of the middle of my day, whereas tri stuff I'm done by 8am on a weekend.  Cept for the very rare race.

Edited by goughy
9 hours ago, goughy said:

I was a squash freak too!  Played it from about grade 4 up until I moved back to toowoomba and the bottom had fallen out of it up here.  I used to work at Jindalee Allsports in the early 90's and played there.  Bugger me the driving all over brissie though was a pain at night.  We used to complain up here when we had to drive 15mins to get to the courts.  Lost a few teeth to that game (but I did win that match 27-0, so came out on top.....).  My only claim to fame was beating Rachael Grinham, but she was like 13 or 14 at the time.

Cool.  Yes the driving was a pain. We were Lucky as we eventually moved our super league Comp to Friday night and we had all teams play at the same centre and started at 7 so it wasn’t a late finish. 

Must be a thing - Squash and golf is my background as well. Never overly great at Squash, but enjoyed it. Golf I got down to single figures but took a lot of time and effort to maintain.

Bike crash and a buggered shoulder pretty much put an end to both of those past times.

• Like 2

I always surfed as a kid from the age of about 10 and still do when my body isn’t broken 😔

it’s my go to sport 

The old man always tells me about a story when I was 12 ish that I said to him “Dad I’m really struggling to decide weather to be a professional surfer or triathlete for a job “😂😂

Guess that’s why I idolised Spotty😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Always had sport in my life.

My one true love is rock climbing. Took it up in my mid teens, travelled the world including a few 6-7 month road trips to the States and Europe.

Was ranked 2nd in Australia for a few years and competed nationally and internationally including the US Nationals and a round of the World cup in Birmingham in 97. Both of those road trips and competitions overseas were at the end of huge training blocks and resulted in some serious elbow injuries. Had planned to return to Europe the year after my Birmingham experience to compete in the whole World cup series only to wreck my elbows again...

Martin3l.jpg.200b754e66aa6e6d52e9eb5e8b956130.jpg

Took up surfing and would drive down to the Island 2 or 3 days a week and skated when stuck back in Melbourne where I rolled my ankle in the Fitzroy bowl. For recovery my physio had me do some deep water exercises at the pool where I met an old climbing friend who was now into tris... Post tris I got heavily into road / TT / Track and CX but stopped competing when my wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2015.

I still boulder weekly outdoors locally (prior to the current lockdown), though need to rely on my technique as my elbows won't allow me to climb more frequently. Just grateful to be able to get out and move over rock again to be honest as it is my mental health outlet.

My brother dragged me out of the house and back to the snow (skied a little as a teenager but made the decision to focus on climbing) soon after my wife died and excluding this year due to lockdowns was skiing and boarding regularly through Winter. 29 days and 21 days skiing the last 2 seasons plus a week in Japan between those two.

Really into my cars (I now own 4 including my daily driver) and most recently bought a Historic Australian Formula 2 car which once recommissioned I plan on racing it in Historic races.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Dalai said:

My one true love is rock climbing. Took it up in my mid teens, travelled the world including a few 6-7 month road trips to the States and Europe.

Was ranked 2nd in Australia for a few years and competed nationally and internationally including the US Nationals and a round of the World cup in Birmingham in 97. Both of those road trips and competitions overseas were at the end of huge training blocks and resulted in some serious elbow injuries. Had planned to return to Europe the year after my Birmingham experience to compete in the whole World cup series only to wreck my elbows again...

Took up surfing and would drive down to the Island 2 or 3 days a week and skated when stuck back in Melbourne where I rolled my ankle in the Fitzroy bowl. For recovery my physio had me do some deep water exercises at the pool where I met an old climbing friend who was now into tris... Post tris I got heavily into road / TT / Track and CX but stopped competing when my wife was diagnosed with cancer in 2015.

I still boulder weekly outdoors locally (prior to the current lockdown), though need to rely on my technique as my elbows won't allow me to climb more frequently. Just grateful to be able to get out and move over rock again to be honest as it is my mental health outlet.

My brother dragged me out of the house and back to the snow (skied a little as a teenager but made the decision to focus on climbing) soon after my wife died and excluding this year due to lockdowns was skiing and boarding regularly through Winter. 29 days and 21 days skiing the last 2 seasons plus a week in Japan between those two.

Really into my cars (I now own 4 including my daily driver) and most recently bought a Historic Australian Formula 2 car which once recommissioned I plan on racing it in Historic races.

Great pic!  Thanks for sharing, climbing is something I've only done indoors & was great fun. Serious question- how come elbows take such a hit, I wouldve thought hands first or is it the elbow tendons , kinda tennis elbow thing?

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 10:20 PM, goughy said:

For me, it would be golf.  Been crappily bashing the ball for as long as I can remember.  Got down to a 10 handicap at my best, and my best ever round was 6 over par.  Back being pretty crap at it again now.  I only get out about once a year.  Too expensive for how little I can fit in.  But it'll always consider myself a golfer.  One of my nicknames at school was golfing goughy (others were turbo trap and motor mouth).

If you got down to a 10 handicap - you are no crappy basher. Lets just call you ' A lot better than average"!!!!

Me:

Skiing 40 + years. Its heaven when you get good powder and a blue sky day.

Golf - a hacker - but a good hacker. Played Thursday (1 birdie, 2 pars, 4 missed pars and a few shockers)

Tennis - my first love. Play most days at home with my youngest thought this year has been rather unusual - bush fires, rain, corona and two broken arms (son).

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

Serious question- how come elbows take such a hit, I wouldve thought hands first or is it the elbow tendons , kinda tennis elbow thing?

Finger pulleys in particular do get damaged and have had a number of finger injuries over those years. Same with shoulders. You can usually still work around these and keep training in some capacity. But all the load goes through the elbows and the medial epicondyle (golfers elbow) my nemisis.

Much to do was the lack of training methodology specific to climbing back then, so much was made up as we went along or heard about through the grapevine.

The main injury trigger for me was when I built a Campus board in the house. Basically it is an angled board with edges of different widths (mine had 12mm,18mm and warmup rungs of 32mm) spaced 22cm apart where various footless moves are done up and down - plyometric training. The idea muscle fibre recruitment is maximized as they are loaded quicker than the muscle spindle reflex can react and protect the muscles and tendons.

It was super addictive! I'd plateaued and saw immediate strength gains. Training was quick too; 1 1/2 hours versus 6 hours plus bouldering or doing routes and so convenient being at home! So one session a week, became two, then three... Then not suprisingly my elbows started hurting!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Great pic!  Thanks for sharing, climbing is something I've only done indoors & was great fun. Serious question- how come elbows take such a hit, I wouldve thought hands first or is it the elbow tendons , kinda tennis elbow thing?

Used to go Indoor Rock Climbing every week with a group of friends.  We were not particularly good, but still loved it. We would climb until our muscles gave out.

The funny bit was, after the session our fingers were so worn out, we struggled to open the car doors.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob said:

Used to go Indoor Rock Climbing every week with a group of friends.  We were not particularly good, but still loved it. We would climb until our muscles gave out.

The funny bit was, after the session our fingers were so worn out, we struggled to open the car doors.

After Ironman at Forster one year a few of us back in Sydney thought we would go to a rock climbing gym for something different. We were youg fit and strong etc.... When we rang up I asked is 2-3 hours long enough....they said yep.

We smash out 3 hours. It was great fun. At the time we were using all these muscles in our arms etc that we really hadn't used before.

The next day.............we were all all ringing each other to ask if each other was sore....... and yep we were. In fact we all had trouble at work typing on a keyboard. 

Oh... and watching the goods guys...... they were impressive. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Dalai said:

Super impressive.

And sorry for your loss.

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Dalai said:

But all the load goes through the elbows and the medial epicondyle (golfers elbow) my nemisis.

Was going to ask is it golf or tennis elbow.

I've also got constant low level golf elbow from pull ups and chin ups in the gym.  Even feel it a bit after a swim now.

But not as bad as when I got both tennis & golf together after a week of fly-fishing in NZ.  That took 9mths to settle.

On 29/08/2020 at 2:02 AM, Dalai said:

Hey Martin - I just started getting into it for the first time at Altona but I hear they have shut their doors and won't be reopening  - Please tell me this is BS...?!  Is there another place like it in Melbourne?

On 29/08/2020 at 7:15 AM, more said:

Duck shooting, frustrating you can't do it year round.. 

I've got an over and under and though about it - what does wild duck taste like (please don't say "like chicken") - is it worth the effort?

39 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I've got an over and under and though about it - what does wild duck taste like (please don't say "like chicken") - is it worth the effort?

Lol I was only baiting, haven't been shooting for years. It does taste nice though, a little gamey perhaps for some. 

I enjoy duck and rabbit but can't stand kangaroo. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Hey Martin - I just started getting into it for the first time at Altona but I hear they have shut their doors and won't be reopening  - Please tell me this is BS...?!  Is there another place like it in Melbourne?

Heart sank as soon as I saw this as I'd heard nothing. Worked a number of years as an instructor / route setter at Nunawading and would travel across town regularly to specifically train on the AME wall! From FB posts in June it mentions only new owners and closing 8-16 weeks for renovations, therefore hoping it isn't closing for good.

There are numerous climbing gyms opening across Melbourne, though most are bouldering. For ropes:

Gravity Worx in Pascoe Vale

Hardrock in the CBD & Nunawading

Bayside Rock in Carrum Downs

Edited by Dalai
  • 2 weeks later...

Cross Country Skiing .... Classic or Skate, it doesn't matter .... there is nothing like the quiet and still and solitude of the mountains of Norway, the plains of Sweden, valleys in Switzerland or Austria and rolling up to some random hut in the middle of nowhere and getting a kaffe and a waffler .... or a G&T after 3:00PM! 

The first one is taken near St Moritz in a valley I discovered where at the head of the valley was a 4 star hotel and bar/ The second one is in the hills outside of Sjusjoen, about 30 minutes into the hills from Lillehammer ..... it was -37C that afternoon and stunning. 

The other thing about XC skiing is the lack of W@nkers .... it really is the most amazing sport for families and friends to just have a bloody good time. Hard work, but great fun.

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 18.45.33 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-09-07 at 18.45.33.jpeg

• Like 3

Played a little bit on everything really but just an average competitor. Cricket, lots of touch plus a little bit of every code of senior footy (pub/sub district ect). Probably excelled in tournament fishing, won a few boats, cash, and a Aussie title over the years. Most fun I ever had was 10 years of Surf Lifesaving though. Won a few state masters medals and now get to tell some newby triathletes I train with that I’ve competed in over 100 Ironman events 😂

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1

Nice @Rimmer I need to get out and spend more time on the skinny ski's. Spent many days up at Lake Mountain in my teens.

I did head up there again a few years ago and dusted off my Fischer AirCore Superlite Crown's. Thankfully they have a Fischer Nordic Demo Centre on the hill, as my old shoes delaminated clean off the sole within metres so was able to demo a pair of Fischer boots for the day!

• Like 1

I had a few Sports but has come down to golf at the moment. I played rugby league for 13 years and represented Canterbury once.

I played and coached basketball for over 30 years. This was mainly at a senior level, including coaching and playing for Vanuatu. I played in the Sydney championships and the Metropolitan League, winning a few titles. I didn’t play in the National League but did play against them in state championships.

Other than this, I swam competitively for years. 

i have played sport competitively from 1968 until now, missing only 2009 after a bike accident. Triathlon and running for over 30 years.

FM - sport, my way of life.

• Like 1

Played hockey and squash as a teenager, early adult,

then when I could afford sport and moved to near the sea, windsurfed (IMCO racing and sarloum) for a few years.

Then into multi sport (run, bike, Kayak) and onto Tri. with a lot of off road running and MTBing.

outside of this snowboarding is the other activity still do.

I have no hand/eye coordination so ball sports are out.

• Like 1
On 08/09/2020 at 4:43 AM, Dalai said:

Nice @Rimmer I need to get out and spend more time on the skinny ski's. Spent many days up at Lake Mountain in my teens.

I did head up there again a few years ago and dusted off my Fischer AirCore Superlite Crown's. Thankfully they have a Fischer Nordic Demo Centre on the hill, as my old shoes delaminated clean off the sole within metres so was able to demo a pair of Fischer boots for the day!

Hey Dalai, 

If you are ever in the hood, let me know and we can find some trails. I am lucky enough to live and work in a City where I can take my skis and head-torch to work (if I go into the Office at all at the moment) and then be on the trails 45 minutes from the desk. 

Also, if you need anything sent out to Australia, let me know as there is so much more available here than there and would be happy to spend your money for you. 

Take care and we'll soon be free once again to ski to heart's content, 

Rimmer

• Like 3