Motorcycles, show us what you got

The Ninja 1000SX I have had for a few years now, fantastic all rounder, sports tourer.  The CRF 450L is the latest addition, it took a bit of doing as I didn’t want to sell the Ninja.  The goal for the CRF is to adapt it to a light adventure bike to do a bit of dirt and camping.

6A500B83-E893-4816-9DC6-EEDDB896C764.jpeg

81ECD2AE-4F55-4087-8C15-2EC320B1DB5C.jpeg

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Had a ZZR250 for a number of years with the plan one day (have set up Bikesales searches) to buy a 1000cc superbike. Unfortunately keep buying more cars instead!  :whistling:

Any preference Dalai?  Always been pretty keen on the Fire blades myself, but the Ninja is a lot more comfortable, but plenty of options in the 1k super bike category

2 hours ago, Hymie said:

Any preference Dalai?  Always been pretty keen on the Fire blades myself, but the Ninja is a lot more comfortable, but plenty of options in the 1k super bike category

Was originally leaning towards the R1, but lately also keen on the Fireblade and is now in the lead.

When getting serious I will need to test ride them all as I haven't swung a leg over any of them.

• Like 1

Before we started doing Triathlons, my wife and I used to do a lot of track days (about 20 a year), mostly at Phillip Island.  There was a few years overlap, but could not afford to keep doing both.

She had an R6 (until I wrote if off) and I had the 600F4i pictured above.  She was a member of the Yamaha Riders Club, I was in the Honda Riders Club. So we got invited to the all the Yamaha and Honda new model launches and got to test ride them at Phillip Island.

Last test rides would have been around 2006ish.  In general I found the Honda's were setup easier to ride, whereas the Yamaha's felt like they could be faster if I was a better rider (was always faster on the Hondas).

The 2006 Fireblade was the best bike I ever rode.  Was getting my knee down on the first lap it was so confidence inspiring. Didn't get any lap times for my ride on the Blade, but pretty confident they were my fastest ever laps.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 2

One of the downsides of being an Admin is that I can’t see who it is that clicks on the like buttons on each post.

But if I find out who it was that laughed at my scooter I swear I will find you.....

1E8C32FD-8F38-4F82-8EC6-C78C87EBC8B9.jpeg

• Haha 4
10 minutes ago, roxii said:

One of the downsides of being an Admin is that I can’t see who it is that clicks on the like buttons on each post.

But if I find out who it was that laughed at my scooter I swear I will find you.....

Just navigate to the site on a device not logged in? :ninja:

I enjoyed my time on this site... Nice knowing you all. :D

Edited by Dalai
  • Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Just navigate to the site on a device not logged in? :ninja:

I enjoyed my time on this site... Nice knowing you all.

😂😂

seriously though I love my scooter. Especially round Cronulla in summer when parking is absolutely crap. Can  take all my gear for a shark island swim in my backpack, pull up anywhere and off I go or duck into the local Westfield’s at Christmas time and leave it at the front doors 

Other option was a Harley Iron, would you laugh at me then???  I think my wife would, and probably other Harley riders. 😂😂

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, roxii said:

Can  take all my gear for a shark island swim in my backpack, pull up anywhere and off I go or duck into the local Westfield’s at Christmas time and leave it at the front doors 

And you don't have to worry, because NOBODY would steal it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, roxii said:

😂😂

seriously though I love my scooter. Especially round Cronulla in summer when parking is absolutely crap. Can  take all my gear for a shark island swim in my backpack, pull up anywhere and off I go or duck into the local Westfield’s at Christmas time and leave it at the front doors 

Other option was a Harley Iron, would you laugh at me then???  I think my wife would, and probably other Harley riders. 😂😂

I love the scooters too. People park them anywhere -e sepcially near Shark Island. They're also nice and light so I can throw them in the back of my car and on-sell.

• Haha 2

I'm with Roxii on the scooter practicality on short local use, however if you are going to get a scooter then get a classic. Image is everything. And the smell of 2 stoke is almost as good as smell of coffee

lml scooter.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

I'm with Roxii on the scooter practicality on short local use, however if you are going to get a scooter then get a classic. Image is everything. And the smell of 2 stoke is almost as good as smell of coffee

lml scooter.jpg

2 stroke reminds me too much of lawn mowing.

I can't boast, my only motorbike was a Honda 90 step-through.

Honda 90 step through, first motorbike, dogged it in the dirt ...

If you are going to Scooter, do it properly. A friend had one of these.

The Italjet Dragster Looks Like George Jetson's Scooter

He also had a water cooled Lambretta he used to race, similar to this

image.png.e35d49be35af7d943ec8c9b48e9daa5a.png

Edited by Naut
  • Like 1

Some of you may know that I travel on my motorbike and have covered most of Australia on it. I have had several bikes over the course of my riding career (40 something years) and love riding. Started out as a country kid riding the “chicken kickin’ machines” as we called them. Little yammy 80’s. I’ve had trail bikes, ridden some motorcross, road bikes and tourers. I didn’t race road bikes on a track, but have done ride days and the super bike training course at Phillip island. Wow! Sums that up best. Going off into turn one at the end of Gardner Straight at 200+ Kph really gets your attention. You smile for a week after that. 
Travelling on the bike is probably the most enjoyable riding I’ve done and continue to do. Here’s some picks of mine. One is halfway Melbourne to Cairns via the outback and the other is on the King Valley highway in Vic, on the way to the Snowy icicle ride. 

6C09E88F-46A6-4AC7-94A0-169C348D5F2E.png

C38372C1-73F0-40ED-A5B4-F32508A915F0.png

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 6
4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Nice pic FM!  I thought riders had to remove mirrors & indicators before racing or maybe this was before the race started

Thanks Surfer. Yep, a great photo. Race testing new bikes. Setting single hot laps time trials for Yamaha. 

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 21/08/2020 at 7:10 AM, FatPom said:

Not being able to contribute makes FP sad 😢

Come and visit Ian and you can have a go on the Ninja, or CRF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, FatPom said:

God I miss having a motorbike.  BTW, if you want to waste a few hours watching some really well produced videos, check out Ryan F9.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNSMdQtn1SuFzCZjfK2C7dQ

Yes, I have recently discovered him, a great time waster, but I have a lot of time to waste in stage 3 lockdown

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hymie said:

If time and space allowed, im leaning toward the RE Interceptor but it will be a while before they hit the 2nd hand market.

Here's mine, will be a family heirloom, son has claimed it for when I'm finished with it. A 1982 Moto Guzzi Mk3 Le Mans, bought it in 1988 and was a daily commuter for a bit, now has 180,000km on it and on historic plates. Been all over NSW and to Phillip Island and SE Qld.861787161_GuzziLongFlat(3).thumb.jpg.934b6d1b01c1b90b3537950675d3a1bb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
On 22/08/2020 at 2:20 AM, FatPom said:

Very nice TP. No balance shaft issues?

Cheers FP. No issues so far, and wasn’t aware that they were prone to it. Thanks for the heads-up, will have to do some research!

5 hours ago, TenPints said:

Cheers FP. No issues so far, and wasn’t aware that they were prone to it. Thanks for the heads-up, will have to do some research!

My memory is hazy, I think it's balance shaft but it could be a gearbox issue. From what I can remember, it's only started showing up on the older WC twins but let me check.

• Thanks 1

There has been a recall but not the one I was thinking of.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2019/march/triumph-recall-/

I'm obviously losing the plot. I can't find the reference now but there does seem to be an issue if your bike has been dropped.

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/t120-gearbox-issues.966051/

The reference to Stuart Fillingham is pretty funny. I used to watch his channel but he drones on so much, seems to love his own voice and just doesn't get to the point. I've gave up his channel when he just used to moan about money and his subscribers all the time and started throwing shit at The Missenden Flyer.

Having said that, he owns a few Triumphs and is very detailed in what he finds.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGzIyZDzucpdn3xWwuLXsmA

• Like 1

Had the Yamaha SportsScoot in 2007/11 Was great around town (wasnt that safety conscious....was on my way to work). 

Traded it in (haha) on the Triumph Bonneville in 2012, (still have it, rubbish photo after I switched the snail eyes for bar end mirrors) and the Yamaha XT250 in 2017

100_0476.JPG

20200823_193031.jpg

20180505_162336 (1).jpg

Edited by Turts
  • Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2020 at 4:46 PM, batman said:

Got me a Mans bike. Well it gets to the shops and pool. Top speed about 75-80

34ADD304-4A5F-4864-8A56-1B8462D5F997.jpeg

You should have got the deluxe model, with the milk crate as standard.

• Haha 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 22/08/2020 at 3:09 PM, Hymie said:

Is that invite for locals? Lol. Geez mate, I’d love a go of that CRF chicken kickin’ machine one day. Whenever we get out of lockdown!

On 20/08/2020 at 6:21 PM, roxii said:

I ride a 2008 Fat Bob. Had it since new. Before that I had an 883 custom since new.

I'm actually thinking of going back to a sportster and getting an Iron: as a bit of a project bike: doing a 1200 conversion kit (I know I could simply get a 1200 sportie - And I like the lines of both the 72 and 48, but the gear ratios are actually different between the 883 and 1200 and I prefer the 883 ratios) and putting a flat bar on the front end and forward foot controls.

Or I could get a scrambler - either a Duc or Triumph. But, I also always wanted a Bonniville ...

Maybe I’ll just stick with my current ride for another 10 years ...

Anyways, I digress. The 883 Sportster is a sweet ride Roxii. Go for it!

Edited by Andrew #1
45 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I dropped my daughter down to work this afternoon at Cronulla on the scooter as the traffic was gridlocked. 
As I went to take off a bunch of Middle eastern bikies on too loud fat tyred Harleys roared past and started trying to weave through the stopped traffic. 
I jumped on the back of the pack much to the amusement of the car drivers and pedestrians around. Pulled up beside them at the lights and gave them a nod and then headed home. :lol: 

• Haha 3
2 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

I ride a 2008 Fat Bob. Had it since new. Before that I had an 883 custom since new.

I'm actually thinking of going back to a sportster and getting an Iron: as a bit of a project bike: doing a 1200 conversion kit (I know I could simply get a 1200 sportie - And I like the lines of both the 72 and 48, but the gear ratios are actually different between the 883 and 1200 and I prefer the 883 ratios) and putting a flat bar on the front end and forward foot controls.

Or I could get a scrambler - either a Duc or Triumph. But, I also always wanted a Bonniville ...

Maybe I’ll just stick with my current ride for another 10 years ...

Are you in the Shadetree Army? 

2 hours ago, Naut said:

Just started watching Long Way Up with electric Harleys

Been watching it too. Pretty good so far. I’m actually impressed by the Rivian electric pickups as well.