2020 Sunshine Coast 70.3

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't. Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the

AA7 after a last minute entry tops the podium 💪 and cranky takes second.  💪

Thank you. It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wombattri said:

It was ok, some swell but manageable. Long run into T1.

Wishing I did some more swim training, was underdone in that department!

Yeah I'm going into Busso in 4 weeks underdone on the bike and swim and it's the swim fitness I want! Nothing worse than jumping on the bike with your HR through the roof!

Was an OK race for me, I was slower than last year (being under-done is partly responsible for that), but a few unplanned loo stops and an ITB flare up at around the halfway mark had me seriously debating whether to turn it in. But pressed on and got it done - paying for it now as I am hobbling around on one leg.

Swim and bike were on par from last year, which is good considering that southerly on the bike was a shocker and the rain was like needles there for a moment! Despite all that that, wouldn't change a thing. Really grateful to be able to compete, IM did a really good job and everyone was pretty well behaved with all the COVID rules and procedures put in place.

Hope Cairns is another top event for those going.

• Like 3
On 12/09/2020 at 10:52 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why is it an unfair advantage? Should folk that don't work 40 hours a week have to go in a different category than those who do? No, you shouldn't be able to chop and change depending on the race & the field, but there should be nothing stopping a pro racing AG once they decide they've had enough of pro racing.

Maybe a ruling that says if you have a pro licence you can't race AG, and once you hand it back and race AG, you can't get it again for a year.

I don’t have a strong view on what a “category solution” might look like...

But having a real job (which in all likelihood requires more than 40 hours per week) compared to training being your job is chalk and cheese.

Just now, trilobite said:

But having a real job (which in all likelihood requires more than 40 hours per week) compared to training being your job is chalk and cheese.

If ex-pro's want to race age group its a bitch but thats life - therefore I have no problem with it.

It's not really much different to when you get into the older age groups ie: 50+ and your racing against guys who are retired/semi retired and seem to just train full time. That's life I am afraid. Can't expect them to race in another category because they have the luxury of being able to train more.

I mean we all wish we didn't work - but for me....triathlon don't pay the bills and never will therefore I have to fit training around work.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, trilobite said:

But a lot of the peeps with a pro licence actually do have full time jobs...  Although "pro" they don't actually earn money from tris

The only thing this has ever been an issue for is the KQ.  And even that is a bit moot as the people at the pointy end of the AG below 50 are border line pro in terms of thier capability and training time.

Why should the ex pro or bottom of the rank pro be forced into one category or another. Sure they take a KQ slot so in 35 39 it meant a guy who did 957 misssed out.

It is not the biggest issue in triathlon. Right now it is running events at all. This event showed we can.

For pros, the biggest challenge is having a meaningful professional racing circuit outside of the ITU and the 70.3 IM circuit. The ITU created the absolute elite level and it has its regional events  so they have answered the mail, there are no psuedo AG at the WTS highest level.

WTC is another matter and the pro category is a bit of a farce, mainly because the business model was run as many fillled to the max AG events with the pro race a mere by line, with generally very thin pro fields.

We were already seeing WTC having events with no pro fields and think they should raise the standard for a pro license and have fewer deeper higher paying events for pros, which will in turn raise the quality of the pro field. 

13 hours ago, BNothling said:

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't.

Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the hill and down into the new carpark loop, just to get a feel for it so I wasn't caught out by anything Sunday. Nothing funky, nothing stupid, just comfortable.

Saturday? Not so much. Woke up with a really sore upper back and right side of my neck. Like really sore. Hopped on the bike for a gentle spin out to Kawana with my coach and realised pretty quickly that I was in trouble. Couldn't turn my head, couldn't look down, couldn't look up from aero. Nothing. Turned around and rolled gently back to the hotel. Try jogging. Every step was agony. It felt like someone driving a stake up into the base of my skull. Luckily one of my mates has a physio staying with him in my hotel so I see him. Entire right hand side of my torso is in spasm and there's nothing he can do. Massage will just make it worse. Manage to find some muscle relaxants and a hot water bottle and that's me horizontal for the entire afternoon. Come 8pm Saturday night, I'm loose enough to stand up and prep for the race.

Right up until I walked into the water for a bit of a splash on Sunday morning, I wasn't racing. My neck and back were still stiff, although a lot better than Saturday. I consult with my wife and we decide to give it a crack. I take the swim stupidly easily. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I love the ocean and OWS and I'm happy. Rolling onto my side a lot to breathe rather than a head turn. The wetsuit from @Tynowas really comfortable and I felt nice and relaxed. I spent the whole swim evaluating my training program leading in. Came to the conclusion that program had too much 'quality' and not enough volume. Will amend that for next time. Surfed a decent wave in from a long way out and was happy to hit dry land. Watch stopped at 38:42.

Bike leg was as everyone else reported - wet, windy and cautious. By this stage, I'm just happy to be in the race so I'm not taking risks. Got out onto the highway, selected a decent tune to have stuck in my head and got on with it. It was painful to be in the aero position for more than about 20 minutes, but the tailwind meant that I could sit up and stretch and still be sitting at about 40kmh. Just did the best that I could coming back. No risks up and over the hill and into the turns. Got lazy on the way back. Let the power numbers drop and my mind wandered. Back into transition in 2:36:21. New course PB, although on the altered course. 207W NP, 34.5kmh, 150bpm average HR. That included a lot of free-wheeling along the Esplanade. Again, just happy to still be in the game.

Run was something that I was looking forward to. I've run really well in training and I was keen to see it play out. Did my best not to push too hard out of the gate and up the hill, but noticed that my left foot had gone to sleep. Never done that before. My body is pulling all of the new tricks this weekend. Eventually woke up at about the 8km mark. Hit the start of the 2nd lap and started to check the overall time and do the maths. Body was feeling good so held station. Started to fight the mental demons at 17km mark about wanting to stop and walk through an aid station. Lost that battle at the second last station and gave myself that little reboot. Up the hill, down the hill and over the line. 1:56:59 for a total finish time of 5:21:23. 

New SC70.3 bike PB. Fastest SC70.3 run PB (by 5:47). Fastest ever half marathon (by 0:33). SC70.3 course PB by 2:22. Considering that 10 hours before the start I was laid up and not racing, I'm really happy with how the race went. Very grateful for the opportunity to race when so many aren't able to at the moment. 

Sorry for the waffle.

3_m-100967474-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-4014_001514-40338104.JPG

12_m-100967474-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-4014_018963-40338113.JPG

13_m-100967474-DIGITAL_HIGHRES-4014_022860-40338114.JPG

Great write up, congrats on the PB! Considering the turn of events for you, that's a really great result!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, k3vski said:

Great write up, congrats on the PB! Considering the turn of events for you, that's a really great result!

Thanks Kevin. Really happy with how it went all things considered, but can't help but feel a tiny bit of what-could-have-been. Still, very grateful for the ability to race when so many others aren't able to.

30 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Thanks Kevin. Really happy with how it went all things considered, but can't help but feel a tiny bit of what-could-have-been. Still, very grateful for the ability to race when so many others aren't able to.

Any idea what happened to cause it? sleeping in a different (probably shit) bed? 

22 minutes ago, pieman said:

Any idea what happened to cause it? sleeping in a different (probably shit) bed? 

Turning his head quickly every time a sexy bike rode past.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, pieman said:

I always take a pillow to races where I have to stay away to eliminate any sort of dramas. The only thing that I can think of is that I dozed off for about 45 minutes on Friday night watching the TdF on the TV. Maybe I slumped weirdly? It's all that I've got.

On ‎15‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 1:40 PM, BarryBevan said:

The only thing this has ever been an issue for is the KQ.  And even that is a bit moot as the people at the pointy end of the AG below 50 are border line pro in terms of thier capability and training time.

I have no issue with Pro's (EX) like Ken Glah turning up as an Age Group. He was about to do his 37th Kona this year. 

Mind you, he raced Pro for a lot longer than he should have. 

2 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I always take a pillow to races where I have to stay away to eliminate any sort of dramas. The only thing that I can think of is that I dozed off for about 45 minutes on Friday night watching the TdF on the TV. Maybe I slumped weirdly? It's all that I've got.

This is why husbands should listen to their wives 😉

• Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Peter said:

Great pic 

3FBA8EEA-EFF7-4E8C-A9F4-F474C217BBA7.jpeg

That's what it was like. Great fun. Really grateful for the Aerohead helmet with the visor, and also RainX to help the water clear off it and prevent fogging.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BNothling said:

That's what it was like. Great fun. Really grateful for the Aerohead helmet with the visor, and also RainX to help the water clear off it and prevent fogging.

What is Rainx? When I raced Busso in the rain my visor was a PITA.

7 hours ago, zed said:

What is Rainx? When I raced Busso in the rain my visor was a PITA.

This stuff.

Got the tip from my time in motorsport. All the karters and open wheelers use it on their visors and teams use it on the inside of windscreens.

Pretty cheap and it's easy to use too. 

16002891652841362411376168739488.jpg

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

This stuff.

Got the tip from my time in motorsport. All the karters and open wheelers use it on their visors and teams use it on the inside of windscreens.

Pretty cheap and it's easy to use too. 

16002891652841362411376168739488.jpg

Awesome thanks!

9 minutes ago, zed said:

Awesome thanks!

Don't worry about the eye irritant part. I think that's only really applicable if you were to put it on goggles or something. I've never had any issues with it. It should be well and truly dry by the time you go to use it if you apply it the day before the race.

It's super easy to use as well. Wipe it on, let it dry, buff it off with a microfibre. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig this up again but was curious about other people's opinion.

Ignoring the changed swim course because that was done last minute, but what did everyone think of the new bike and run courses? 

Personally, I thought the run course change was awesome, with the elimination of the faff at the northern end really helping the flow of the course. The run into the carpark on the 2nd lap before finishing was a bit rough on the legs, but I didn't really care at that point. I wasn't a huge fan of the bike course running along the Esplanade, as it was very tight and hard to pass, let alone get up to speed (or carry speed on the way into T2). It felt like a transfer ride out to the race course. Climbing the hill and turning right to the highway was great though and the legs appreciated that on the 2nd lap.

Thoughts everyone else?

Agree with the run change comments...you underestimate how all the twists and turns of previous years tax your body and disrupt your rhythm, so I was glad there were only 2 u-turns this year.

The bike changes didn't phase me much, I put them down to dead kms TBH...no one was passing in those narrow streets along the Esplanade. Not sure what else they could do as they're obviously trying to keep traffic flowing behind the central Mooloolaba beachfront.

The swim run was the worst...the waves looked perfectly fine at the original location that morning...they shoulda stuck with it IMO.   

On 27/09/2020 at 6:41 PM, BNothling said:

Sorry to dig this up again but was curious about other people's opinion.

Ignoring the changed swim course because that was done last minute, but what did everyone think of the new bike and run courses? 

Personally, I thought the run course change was awesome, with the elimination of the faff at the northern end really helping the flow of the course. The run into the carpark on the 2nd lap before finishing was a bit rough on the legs, but I didn't really care at that point. I wasn't a huge fan of the bike course running along the Esplanade, as it was very tight and hard to pass, let alone get up to speed (or carry speed on the way into T2). It felt like a transfer ride out to the race course. Climbing the hill and turning right to the highway was great though and the legs appreciated that on the 2nd lap.

Thoughts everyone else?

I didn’t mind the course, except that last little sneaky hook turn at the end did my head in a bit.

”Here, have a look at the finish line, you’re there....no wait, you have to go back there first....sucker.”

26 minutes ago, wombattri said:

I didn’t mind the course, except that last little sneaky hook turn at the end did my head in a bit.

”Here, have a look at the finish line, you’re there....no wait, you have to go back there first....sucker.”

Geelong is the same.  

here is the finish line. Now you can run another 7km until you can cross it 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Geelong is the same.  

here is the finish line. Now you can run another 7km until you can cross it 

Can't be any worse than Tweed Coast that actually sends you down the finish chute before kicking you out halfway along to start your 2nd and 3rd laps.

1 hour ago, wombattri said:

"What's that? You want to put in a big final km? Here, run up this sharp hill first and then down another hill just to completely finish off your quads."