2020 Sunshine Coast 70.3

45 minutes ago, lachie94 said:

Jeez, all those crap races over the years really catch up with you 😂.

I’m in for first long course race/first proper race in nearly two years. Unfortunately battling an unknown groin issue, but given this + cairns will be only races till next year am going to have a go regardless. Lots changed in last two years, now being self employed and working full-time as opposed to working ‘easy’ part-time jobs, so will be out there enjoying the day and the challenge regardless of result

Are they preditcing you top 10? That's okay

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't. Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the

AA7 after a last minute entry tops the podium 💪 and cranky takes second.  💪

Thank you. It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is Luke McKenzie racing as an age grouper?  

I guess as both the McKenzies are now retired they can do. Always thought it was a bit poor pros retiring then racing AG. They need a different division. My mate finished 2nd overall in Busso 70.3 to an ex-pro who had "retired" months earlier at 26..

16 minutes ago, zed said:

I guess as both the McKenzies are now retired they can do. Always thought it was a bit poor pros retiring then racing AG. They need a different division. My mate finished 2nd overall in Busso 70.3 to an ex-pro who had "retired" months earlier at 26..

Said it before will say it again. 
there needs to be an elite category for pros moving back to age grouper level but also for age groupers wanting to be a pro going up. 

probably more important going up.  

28 minutes ago, zed said:

Beth is racing pro.

18 minutes ago, Peter said:

Said it before will say it again. 
there needs to be an elite category for pros moving back to age grouper level but also for age groupers wanting to be a pro going up. 

probably more important going up.  

Agree there should be ‘open’ for going up but going back to AG should be zero issue.

I work circa. 40hr/week but just race in pro field, what diff. would it be if I went back and won 25-29? (not saying I would win, but you get the point)

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I think it depends on the situation. I'm not sure it was right Tom Rodgers raced and won Busso as an amateur months after racing as a pro aged 22 or whatever. Does he have an unfair advantage? But then what does he do, not race at all? 

Why is it an unfair advantage? Should folk that don't work 40 hours a week have to go in a different category than those who do? No, you shouldn't be able to chop and change depending on the race & the field, but there should be nothing stopping a pro racing AG once they decide they've had enough of pro racing.

Maybe a ruling that says if you have a pro licence you can't race AG, and once you hand it back and race AG, you can't get it again for a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I think it depends on the situation. I'm not sure it was right Tom Rodgers raced and won Busso as an amateur months after racing as a pro aged 22 or whatever. Does he have an unfair advantage? But then what does he do, not race at all? 

Tom was an age grouper who decided to try and find out how he would fare racing as a pro.  Think he lasted less than 2 years.  Didn't get the success he hoped for and dropped back to Age Group.

There was a large group from our club that travelled across to Busso that year, so I think it was more a trip with mates.  Note that the 70.3 (that he won), did not have a pro field.  He hasn't done many (if any) races since.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

Tom was an age grouper who decided to try and find out how he would fare racing as a pro.  Think he lasted less than 2 years.  Didn't get the success he hoped for and dropped back to Age Group.

There was a large group from our club that travelled across to Busso that year, so I think it was more a trip with mates.  Note that the 70.3 (that he won), did not have a pro field.  He hasn't done many (if any) races since.

Gotcha. Sorry didn't know his history.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Why is it an unfair advantage? Should folk that don't work 40 hours a week have to go in a different category than those who do? No, you shouldn't be able to chop and change depending on the race & the field, but there should be nothing stopping a pro racing AG once they decide they've had enough of pro racing.

Yeah I agree. There isn't a solution. Crowie fully deserves to race AG when he retires.

1 minute ago, zed said:

Yeah I agree. There isn't a solution. Crowie fully deserves to race AG when he retires.

Michellie Jones has dominated the Age Group Worlds since she retired.  Most seem to love racing next to her, some aren't so impressed.

Imagine seeing Crowie standing next to you on the beach at race start (in same age group).  Possibly a highlight of your triathlon career, but you'd also know your potential finishing position just dropped one place.

34 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe a ruling that says if you have a pro licence you can't race AG, and once you hand it back and race AG, you can't get it again for a year.

I thought that was the rule that’s in place, e.g. if go back to AG, then can’t race pro in that license year (July-June)

1 hour ago, zed said:

Didn’t McKenzie race Kona last year?

Not sure.  

im not saying he is racing ager either. 

just he is there with his bike and given they only live 40 mins away and has kids why?

Unless you are racing. 

1 hour ago, lachie94 said:

I thought that was the rule that’s in place, e.g. if go back to AG, then can’t race pro in that license year (July-June)

I thought it was12 month period from racing as pro before can race AG

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Not sure.  

im not saying he is racing ager either. 

just he is there with his bike and given they only live 40 mins away and has kids why?

Unless you are racing. 

So he can post it on insta obviously

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

So he can post it on insta obviously

Does it count if he isn’t in the picture or on barbie toes?

5EB4BB7D-D454-48F5-8914-5034E0D4B51E.jpeg

Edited by Peter
Add photo
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, more said:

Wtf, he is somewhere with blue sky's and can ride more than 5ks from home and he is riding Zwift on a balcony.... 😬

Yeh but you cant do work emails or watch TDF if you're riding in the great outdoors.

48 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Come on @lachie94, what sort of conspiracy is this?

Expected time, pre race:

image.png.091d76f28dbad1fa4b7e71848595a28c.png

Actual time:

image.png.c2ea1691bb92a8668972951c5b145636.png

Good race by the way.

To be fair, the added beach run to T1 did me in.. last 12-13km was pretty much an Ironman shuffle. Actually, legs never felt that beat up in an Ironman 😂. 100k running total in last 8 weeks + picking ‘fast’ shoes over comfort/support never gonna help the cause but a smile on my face for at least banking one after a long hiatus (although never fun going 5th to 7th in last few km!)

• Like 1

Just watched some highlights on Luke mckenzies insta. 

man it was pissing down for a lot of the race.  Must have been very sticky running when the rain stopped and the sun came out

18 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

And well done AA7 on the win!

Thank you.

It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

• Like 6
17 hours ago, Peter said:

Just watched some highlights on Luke mckenzies insta. 

man it was pissing down for a lot of the race.  Must have been very sticky running when the rain stopped and the sun came out

Nah it was more just a few showers.

Yes, was great to be out there yesterday.

I was happy with my day - finally got a run split under 1:40, which I've been trying to do for a couple of years.

Overall 4:42 which is a PB. 10th in category - but only Qld'ers....

Not complaining at all (as I acknowledge how fortunate we are to have done this), but the weather has done a complete 180 and it is absolutely beautiful here this morning!

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, wombattri said:

I was happy with my day - finally got a run split under 1:40, which I've been trying to do for a couple of years.

Not complaining at all (as I acknowledge how fortunate we are to have done this), but the weather has done a complete 180 and it is absolutely beautiful here this morning!

Solid time! How was the swim?

19 hours ago, lachie94 said:

To be fair, the added beach run to T1 did me in.. last 12-13km was pretty much an Ironman shuffle. Actually, legs never felt that beat up in an Ironman 😂. 100k running total in last 8 weeks + picking ‘fast’ shoes over comfort/support never gonna help the cause but a smile on my face for at least banking one after a long hiatus (although never fun going 5th to 7th in last few km!)

what are your fast shoes? Racing flats?

52 minutes ago, wombattri said:

You should head out and do it again now and see how much impact the weather had...😃

Congrats on hitting your goal. Well  deserved

3 minutes ago, AA7 said:

40-44

Cool, nice one. How was the race in comparison to non COVID races, did they still have post race ceremony, medals etc or once you crossed that line it was straight home?

44 minutes ago, zed said:

what are your fast shoes? Racing flats?

Gave the Addidas Adizero Pro a go. Carbon plate but not the stack height/softness of the Uber shoes (and their new Adios Adizero Pro that is released this week I think)

Edited by lachie94
1 minute ago, lachie94 said:

Gave the Addidas Adizero Pro a go. Carbon plate but not the stack height/softness of the Uber shoes (and their new Adios Adizero Pro that is released this week I think)

Gotcha.

Yeah I have the Next% now for racing and did a long run in my old 4%s, they're pretty good for training. I used to race in Asics Hyperspeeds, loved that shoes but man couldn't walk for a week! 

1 hour ago, pieman said:

You should head out and do it again now and see how much impact the weather had...😃

Congrats on hitting your goal. Well  deserved

Yes mate - this is what it looks like today.

sc.jpg