2020 Sunshine Coast 70.3

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't. Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the

AA7 after a last minute entry tops the podium 💪 and cranky takes second.  💪

Thank you. It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Assuming it is all systems go for SC 70.3 this weekend?

I haven’t heard anything different. 

Yeh unless there's a major outbreak in the next few days, I think it's good to go.

3 hours ago, wombattri said:

Assuming it is all systems go for SC 70.3 this weekend?

I haven’t heard anything different. 

Yep. All good here. Final training session yesterday, taper week engaged.

10 hours ago, Peter said:

LOL 😂. If you like downhill easy races.  Sure. 

Busso isn't a downhill course.

It has plenty of climbs and I particularly remember the ascents and descents well. I calculated my optimum gear changes by gaffer-taping a spirit level to my top tube. The bubble shifted a couple of mm numerous times.

*NEW World Championship Roll Down Process*

At IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast 2020, there are 40 qualifying slots to the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship held in St George, Utah, USA, on 17-18 September 2021. 

As part of our Safe Return to Racing guidelines, we unfortunately can’t gather together to celebrate successful qualifiers at a Roll Down ceremony this year, so here’s how Roll Down will work this year: 

▪️During Athlete Check-In you will be asked to ‘opt-in’ and confirm you intend to accept a qualification slot should you qualify for the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship. 
▪️If you are successful in obtaining a qualification slot, we contact you within 24hrs after the race to let you know the good news.  
▪️You will then have 48hrs to complete your IM703WC registration and pay the registration fee online. 
▪️If you do not complete your registration within 48hrs, the slot will roll down to the next athlete. 

You won’t be able to change your mind and opt-in after Athlete Check-In, so if you are unsure if you’d like to accept a slot at the time of Athlete Check-In, it’s better to ‘opt-in’.

24 minutes ago, BNothling said:

*NEW World Championship Roll Down Process*

At IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast 2020, there are 40 qualifying slots to the 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship held in St George, Utah, USA, on 17-18 September 2021. 

As part of our Safe Return to Racing guidelines, we unfortunately can’t gather together to celebrate successful qualifiers at a Roll Down ceremony this year, so here’s how Roll Down will work this year: 

▪️During Athlete Check-In you will be asked to ‘opt-in’ and confirm you intend to accept a qualification slot should you qualify for the IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship. 
▪️If you are successful in obtaining a qualification slot, we contact you within 24hrs after the race to let you know the good news.  
▪️You will then have 48hrs to complete your IM703WC registration and pay the registration fee online. 
▪️If you do not complete your registration within 48hrs, the slot will roll down to the next athlete. 

You won’t be able to change your mind and opt-in after Athlete Check-In, so if you are unsure if you’d like to accept a slot at the time of Athlete Check-In, it’s better to ‘opt-in’.

Opting-in Ben?

Just now, BNothling said:

I'm about 45-60 minutes short of qualifying. It'd be cool to score a coin though. 

Surely you're opting in. 

Remember there are none of those "unclean" southerners at this race.

4 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Remember there are none of those "unclean" southerners at this race.

True. Last year I did a very underdone 5:29 and finished 85/136 in M30-34. I was about 57 minutes away from P30. 

I hold no disillusioned ideas of my own abilities and speed. 

7 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'm about 45-60 minutes short of qualifying. It'd be cool to score a coin though. 

Surely you're opting in. 

Unlikely I'll need to worry about it either.

But I have no desire to go to Utah.

If you qualify for St George worlds next year and you take the slot (ie make a donation to Ironman’s liquidity position), but the overseas travel ban is still in place by the time the race is on next year, what happens?

Does it transfer to Taupo 2022 70.3 worlds or is that too idealistic?

4 hours ago, wombattri said:

If you qualify for St George worlds next year and you take the slot (ie make a donation to Ironman’s liquidity position), but the overseas travel ban is still in place by the time the race is on next year, what happens?

Does it transfer to Taupo 2022 70.3 worlds or is that too idealistic?

Interesting question. Would be good to know.

The precedent has been set. 

you lose your chance to race.

I think if you really wanted to do the 70.3 world champs and could spare losing the $600 entry if you couldn’t fly, then take the spot. 

7 hours ago, zed said:

Rolldown will be a laugh. It's going to be a case of who wants to go can go. 

Yep.

This was often the case pre-pandemic. I’ve seen plenty of 70.3 roll-downs where Pete Murray is standing on stage saying “is there anyone here who finished the race who’d like to go to the world champs?”

Excluding when it was held on the Sunny Coast, they’re often giving away 70.3 WC slots at Oz races.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

The precedent has been set. 

you lose your chance to race.

I think if you really wanted to do the 70.3 world champs and could spare losing the $600 entry if you couldn’t fly, then take the spot. 

When did they drop the price yo $600? Nice was about $1000

Seems like an odd location for a race... I spent a couple of weeks in St George many years ago, but only because above I15 are the amazing rockclimbs in the Virgin River gorge.

Zion is nearby which is a nice rest day activity there isn't much else. Logistics will be a pain as it is a fair way from any major airports.

Have a great race those who have entered!

4 hours ago, Dalai said:

Seems like an odd location for a race... I spent a couple of weeks in St George many years ago, but only because above I15 are the amazing rockclimbs in the Virgin River gorge.

Zion is nearby which is a nice rest day activity there isn't much else. Logistics will be a pain as it is a fair way from any major airports.

Have a great race those who have entered!

Fly into Vegas & drive up. 

14 hours ago, zed said:

Rolldown will be a laugh. It's going to be a case of who wants to go can go. 

Done via phone call, so the IM staff will be spending lots of time on the phone next week I assume

7 hours ago, Bored@work said:

When did they drop the price yo $600? Nice was about $1000

I was guessing the price.  I have no idea what it costs to go to 70.3 worlds. 

Just now, BarryBevan said:

have fun, this is a great course

Thanks mate. I do love this race. I'm looking forward to getting up there and going for a bit of a swim and getting into the right head space. It's never as bad as what I'm expecting and I always seem to cross the line with almost a pang of regret that it's over for another year.

I'm most looking forward to the subtle changes to the bike and the run. I think it'll shave a fair amount of time off, and I'll be looking forward to any sort of advantage that I can get. That northern part of the run was always where my head went to pieces with all of those dead turns to make up the difference, and to shave that off will personally help me a lot.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Thanks mate. I do love this race. I'm looking forward to getting up there and going for a bit of a swim and getting into the right head space. It's never as bad as what I'm expecting and I always seem to cross the line with almost a pang of regret that it's over for another year.

I'm most looking forward to the subtle changes to the bike and the run. I think it'll shave a fair amount of time off, and I'll be looking forward to any sort of advantage that I can get. That northern part of the run was always where my head went to pieces with all of those dead turns to make up the difference, and to shave that off will personally help me a lot.

Yes those turns were not a heap of fun. I went out to hard for the first 8 K and paid the price

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Yes those turns were not a heap of fun. I went out to hard for the first 8 K and paid the price

For some reason, all of those little twists and turns seemed to make the run feel a lot more than it actually was. 

• Like 1

So the run doesn’t go to duporth anymore - that little car park extension on the second lap of run will be just as mind numbing I think!

with the ride, I last did the course in 2018 - is it right you go motorway lap and then down to Maroochy and turn come back up to buderim ave and back motorway Lap and then down to transition and no extension to maroochy on second lap? 

looks like it might be a repeat of 2018 with the rain forecast!

10 hours ago, chappy019 said:

So the run doesn’t go to duporth anymore - that little car park extension on the second lap of run will be just as mind numbing I think!

with the ride, I last did the course in 2018 - is it right you go motorway lap and then down to Maroochy and turn come back up to buderim ave and back motorway Lap and then down to transition and no extension to maroochy on second lap? 

looks like it might be a repeat of 2018 with the rain forecast!

Looking at the elevation from my bike garmin file from 2018 (when I too last did it) I have a feeling you do the extension to Maroochy on the second lap, but I’m not 100% on that. 

The run is a bit of a mental milkshake for me - after doing the Mooloolaba tri for so many years I keep forgetting the turnaround is that little bit further!

7 minutes ago, wombattri said:

Looking at the elevation from my bike garmin file from 2018 (when I too last did it) I have a feeling you do the extension to Maroochy on the second lap, but I’m not 100% on that. 

The run is a bit of a mental milkshake for me - after doing the Mooloolaba tri for so many years I keep forgetting the turnaround is that little bit further!

Yeah im not 100% sure but i figure there's only 1 extension from the comms around "less turns" etc.

Run will be interesting - I did a couple of repeats both sides of Alex the other week and heading all the way back down to the esplande and the doing the car park extension does bite a little more than the turn at the top of the hill thats for sure!

similar sentiments here - hats off to local council, TA and Event crew for being able to get this off the ground in current circumstances.

169 M35-39 Kevin Siah

Depending on the conditions, hoping to post a new PB! My wife said this morning, she has never seen me this excited about a race. Yes, we are very fortunate and massive appreciation for all the work done by all those involved, just so we can all have a play in the sun!

• Like 3

Just checked in, they’re asking if you want to ‘qualify’ for worlds at check in...I’m guessing they’ll be giving them away.

The weather is pretty awful, hoping the wind at least dies down a bit. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Fresh said:

Just checked in, they’re asking if you want to ‘qualify’ for worlds at check in...I’m guessing they’ll be giving them away.

The weather is pretty awful, hoping the wind at least dies down a bit. Fingers crossed.

Yep, that's how the rolldown is happening. Contact each nominee in order. 

12 hours ago, Peter said:

Predicted Finish Rankings. 

BB383C0A-D538-4CAA-AAC6-5AC196E4AD2E.jpeg

Jeez, all those crap races over the years really catch up with you 😂.

I’m in for first long course race/first proper race in nearly two years. Unfortunately battling an unknown groin issue, but given this + cairns will be only races till next year am going to have a go regardless. Lots changed in last two years, now being self employed and working full-time as opposed to working ‘easy’ part-time jobs, so will be out there enjoying the day and the challenge regardless of result

• Like 4