2020 Sunshine Coast 70.3

22 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Haha, thanks AA7.
I’ve been biting my keyboard fingers to not respond to all the consistent misspelling.

Boarderlyne infurriatinng.

• Haha 5
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't. Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the

AA7 after a last minute entry tops the podium 💪 and cranky takes second.  💪

Thank you. It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, zed said:

NT has said it won't open its borders till 2022, WA mid 2021... I'm guessing QLD might be similar? I have long service leave and was planning to go to see my folks, brother and sister on the SC, not good...

Zed, unless I've missed something, I thought the gist of what McGowan recently said was the WA border won't reopen until community transmission is under control and if that doesn't happen until mid 2021, we should be prepared for that.

Very different to saying WA won't reopen until then.

Not that I have any real expectations of when circumstances will change. I've long thought if IMWA goes ahead, it will be sandgropers only.

Like you, I'm missing family too. Particularly my partner. :sadwalk:

Edited by Paul Every
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
15 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Zed, unless I've missed something, I thought the gist of what McGowan recently said was the WA border won't reopen until community transmission is under control and if that doesn't happen until mid 2021, we should be prepared for that.

Very different to saying WA won't reopen until then.

Not that I have any real expectations of when circumstances will change. I've long thought if IMWA goes ahead, it will be sandgropers only.

Like you, I'm missing family too. Particularly my partner. :sadwalk:

Yeah I guess their prediction is mid 2021 when community transmission will be under control, but that is pretty arbitrary at this stage. Back in June, we were looking at August for opening our borders. So who knows.. earliest I'd imagine is Jan/Feb 2021. 

I'm suprised IM haven't been hammering this one more since the approval to proceed came in...I haven't seen any FB ads (like I usually do) and no emails as a past competitor.

Meh, I'm signing up with or without ads

7 hours ago, BNothling said:

Numbers look good, but there's a lot of people listing states other than QLD against their name. I'm not sure what's going to happen there or if they're QLD residents racing under a different state banner?

Probably some of the NSW people have exemptions because they are close to the border.... ie: tweed heads etc. Though for the people who have liste clubs in Sydney..... you would assume its next year for them.

Stage 4 has been extended another 2 months in WA. TWA have also announced that Busso 70.3 in October fits in with the stage 4 guidelines. 

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Probably some of the NSW people have exemptions because they are close to the border.... ie: tweed heads etc. 

NSW Border zone residents can only travel within the border zone, which extends as far north as Ormeau (half way to Brisbane). Wanting to come to Brisbane or Mooloolaba will require 14 days in hotel quarantine. 

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/998000/map-border-zones-qld-border-restriction-direction.pdf

Anyone know what the policy will be if you are 2 days out and get symptoms and have to get tested? In such a case you could not go and I'm curious what the deferral policy is for simply self isolating while awaiting a test? What happens if your test is not back by the time the race comes around you can't just rock up even if you feel well.

My kid has a cold last week and he was out of school for 4 days awaiting the results!

I've read the "if you are feeling sick don't travel" bit but its not clear if they will let you defer so late.

Edited by Paulj13
8 minutes ago, Paulj13 said:

Anyone know what the policy will be if you are 2 days out and get symptoms and have to get tested? In such a case you could not go and I'm curious what the deferral policy is for simply self isolating while awaiting a test? What happens if your test is not back by the time the race comes around you can't just rock up even if you feel well.

My kid has a cold last week and he was out of school for 4 days awaiting the results!

I've read the "if you are feeling sick don't travel" bit but its not clear if they will let you defer so late.

I don't know. There was that athlete who was taken hostage in a Turkish airport and missed his flight so couldn't make the race 2 days later and that wasn't a good enough reason for IM! 

Edited by zed
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, zed said:

I don't know. There was that athlete who was taken hostage in a Turkish airport and missed his flight so couldn't make the race 2 days later and that wasn't a good enough reason for IM! 

LOL 😂.  

9 hours ago, zed said:

NT has said it won't open its borders till 2022, WA mid 2021... I'm guessing QLD might be similar? I have long service leave and was planning to go to see my folks, brother and sister on the SC, not good...

Clive Palmer has your back

1 hour ago, zed said:

I’ve even tried emailing the Asia-Pac CEO about a transfer before (munted knee, requiring ACL graft and lateral and medial meniscus repair/trim) - he duffed a golden opportunity to ride in on a white horse (like the old spice guy?) and fix a bad situation by offering me a 70.3 three months later.

I must have forgotten the part of my email where I expressed a heartfelt desire to have a crack at racing as a wheelchair athlete when before hitting “send” 🤔

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Paulj13 said:

On Tri Buzz with Muzz tonight it was indicated that they’ll listen to these type of requests for a transfer up to race day.

I suspect they don’t want athletes thinking they’ll lose their entry fee, hence, turning up contagious (visible symptoms or not).

30 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

Will it even happen now?, a lot of Brisbane athletes will descend on the Sunshine coast?. It could become stage 3 there as well....

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, IM Asia Pac’s track record on transfers and refunds is appalling (not to mention suggestions by others with race organising experience that the “our systems don’t accommodate it” excuse is a convenient lie).

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Will it even happen now?, a lot of Brisbane athletes will descend on the Sunshine coast?. It could become stage 3 there as well....

Yes, the next week will be very concerning.

3 hours ago, trilobite said:

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, IM Asia Pac’s track record on transfers and refunds is appalling (not to mention suggestions by others with race organising experience that the “our systems don’t accommodate it” excuse is a convenient lie).

Really?  Ironman Melbourne are good and they haven't even cancelled it yet.

We would like to offer you the opportunity to make an alternative selection from the options now:

1) Free Deferral to 2021 IRONMAN 70.3 Melbourne on 14 November 2021; or

2) An Event Credit for the full value of your entry fee (and additional purchases), valid for three years, and able to be redeemed on any other IRONMAN Group events in Australia.

Please click the below link to confirm your selection. You will have until 11.59 pm AEST on Friday 28 August 2020 to confirm your selection. Your selection is final. If no action is taken prior to this deadline, your entry will remain in the 2020 event and you will lose the opportunity to defer or apply for an event credit if you are unable to attend the event.

Once you have made your selection, you will receive a confirmation email with further instructions. Free deferrals to another race are offered for entry into the same category as originally entered. 

If you have any questions, please contact us on Melbourne@ironman.com on or before 11.59 pm AEST on Friday 28 August.

We look forward to seeing you back at a race soon.  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Really?  Ironman Melbourne are good and they haven't even cancelled it yet.

Once bitten, twice shy - refer to the experience I outlined above.

You could say it felt like IM adding insult to injury...

Edited by trilobite
1 hour ago, trilobite said:

Did I mention the person I got was the CEO (ie Geoff Meyer)?

Guessing he doesn’t like you.

I was able to bump my Geelong entry a fortnight out a couple of years back. Only had to pay the admin fee. I had the flu. 

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Guessing he doesn’t like you.

I was able to bump my Geelong entry a fortnight out a couple of years back. Only had to pay the admin fee. I had the flu. 

Flu sounds much harder to race with than knee trauma (ruptured anterior cruciate ligament, plus medial and lateral meniscus tears).

Perhaps he didn’t think I wanted it enough after noticing my Strava files lacked 4am Mt Coot-tha repeats in the rain...

Thanks for your email. 

The IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast Event Team are excited to announce that the 2020 event will take place on Sunday 13 September 2020. 

Registrations can be made online via our website and will be open until the close of Athlete Check-In on Saturday 12 September, unless sold out prior. 

Will leave my rego to the last minute just to be sure

46 minutes ago, Fresh said:

Zero cases today as well

Well today's numbers are from yesterday's tests. 

• Thanks 1

I'd like to think that people just don't want to have Brisbane turn into a second Melbourne and are looking after themselves.

The local drive-through testing place had a 4 hour wait yesterday and they were queuing again at 7am today.

5 minutes ago, trilobite said:

To loosely quote what someone else said on here once before: “There are no fans on the bike course in Kona”...

Where the **** did that wind come from then?

I spent the last couple months labouring in NQ before I went. It still felt hot.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where the **** did that wind come from then?

I spent the last couple months labouring in NQ before I went. It still felt hot.

My sub-13 finish wasn’t fast enough to investigate this natural phenomenon first hand.

Next time I’ll need to enter in an “easy” category...

14 minutes ago, trilobite said:

My sub-13 finish wasn’t fast enough to investigate this natural phenomenon first hand.

Next time I’ll need to enter in an “easy” category...

Do you think you could disguise yourself as an 18 year old girl. ;)

Received the email this afternoon with instructions on how to book my appointment to check in and also rack my bike. It's a very simple process and makes it all pretty easy. It's all done first-past-the-post styles so they're 'selling out', although at this stage there were all of the spots still available.

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Gold coast going into shutdown mode. Schoolies off now. I am wondering how many people have fled Brisbane to take refuge in the Sunshine coast?..🤔

Any self-respecting human heads north instead of south for any sort of leisure activity short of an adult-based Schoolies week. All you need to do is look at the traffic that builds up from about 9am on Sunday morning heading south from about Bribie and back to Mooloolaba.

27 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Any self-respecting human heads north instead of south for any sort of leisure activity short of an adult-based Schoolies week. All you need to do is look at the traffic that builds up from about 9am on Sunday morning heading south from about Bribie and back to Mooloolaba.

It’s Friday and I’ve been accused of being slow at the best of times..

But how do I reconcile your suggestion with Ballistic and Slipstream breweries being at a lower latitude than my home?

2 minutes ago, trilobite said:

But how do I reconcile your suggestion with Ballistic and Slipstream breweries being at a lower latitude than my home?

I don't drink alcohol so that sounds like your problem to work out? :whistling::D

1 minute ago, BNothling said:

I don't drink alcohol so that sounds like your problem to work out? :whistling::D

I’m tempted to ask a mod to move it to the “if you could ask any question” thread in the sandbox...

But then again I could contemplate the answer to that, who really is Varondah and whether the economics of selling farmed echidna eggs to carnivore diet peeps stacks up, over a Barossa Grenache on my deck this afternoon 🤔

What are the chances of the QLD gubmint pulling this event you think? Is it going ahead regardless given IM's COVID "safe plan" is approved, similar to how bars, clubs etc can stay open with >30 people as they also have a safe plan?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fresh said:

What are the chances of the QLD gubmint pulling this event you think? Is it going ahead regardless given IM's COVID "safe plan" is approved, similar to how bars, clubs etc can stay open with >30 people as they also have a safe plan?

I don't think it's a drama. Even with the restrictions that are in place, there are plenty of other sporting events and stuff going on. Kids sport is still happening, it's just under the COVID-Safe plans. All of the cases that are popping up in QLD at the moment are directly related back to the Correctional Services cluster and a lot of those aren't in the community. The new cases today have come from carpooling with the person who was training the other officers.

I think there's just going to be a bit more emphasis on spectators spacing out and competitors staying home if they're unwell.

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I’m tempted to ask a mod to move it to the “if you could ask any question” thread in the sandbox...

But then again I could contemplate the answer to that, who really is Varondah and whether the economics of selling farmed echidna eggs to carnivore diet peeps stacks up, over a Barossa Grenache on my deck this afternoon 🤔

Que?

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

You can buy them both at Dan Murphy's, and they deliver.