2020 Sunshine Coast 70.3

Well, here we are. 1 month away. 

A few changes to the course over the last 2 years with a relocation of transition, the swim being clockwise instead of anti-clockwise, trimming off the little bit out the front of Coles on the bike leg, and the run leg has also had the top end of the course trimmed off, as well as the southern turn around being down in the carpark previously used for the expo, with the finish line down in the old transition zone.

https://www.ironman.com/im703-sunshine-coast-course

Training for me has been going really well. Swimming is a bit behind the 8-ball after not swimming for many months leading up to starting again in May, but the bike and run is a big leap forward for me over previous years. Sitting comfortably at 220W in Z2 and holding 5:30/km in Z3 on long runs.

Who else is racing?

Ben

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My race weekend went pretty well to plan, except for when it really really didn't. Friday was awesome. Arrived at about 130, dropped bags, got changed and went for a nice easy run up and over the

AA7 after a last minute entry tops the podium 💪 and cranky takes second.  💪

Thank you. It was a last minute decision to enter, last Monday. Pleasantly surprised with a win after not specifically training for any long distance racing. Haven't run 21km since 2015.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Well, here we are. 1 month away. 

A few changes to the course over the last 2 years with a relocation of transition, the swim being clockwise instead of anti-clockwise, trimming off the little bit out the front of Coles on the bike leg, and the run leg has also had the top end of the course trimmed off, as well as the southern turn around being down in the carpark previously used for the expo, with the finish line down in the old transition zone.

https://www.ironman.com/im703-sunshine-coast-course

Training for me has been going really well. Swimming is a bit behind the 8-ball after not swimming for many months leading up to starting again in May, but the bike and run is a big leap forward for me over previous years. Sitting comfortably at 220W in Z2 and holding 5:30/km in Z3 on long runs.

Who else is racing?

Ben

We kept the accommodation booking, so will be heading up regardless of whether there is a race on or not. Feel very fortunate to only be a couple of hours drive away from Bris, and there are a lot worse places to go for a weekend.

Like most, swimming is very underdone. Thanks for the course updates, seems like they are making an attempt to hold the event, even if it gets pulled at the last minute. 

2 minutes ago, wombattri said:

We kept the accommodation booking, so will be heading up regardless of whether there is a race on or not. Feel very fortunate to only be a couple of hours drive away from Bris, and there are a lot worse places to go for a weekend.

Like most, swimming is very underdone. Thanks for the course updates, seems like they are making an attempt to hold the event, even if it gets pulled at the last minute. 

Yeah, we're the same. Myself and a few others from my tri club have a really good relationship with the hotel that we stay at and we are choosing to support them in what must have been tough times for them.

I checked the course earlier in the week and it has changed since. Not sure how many versions it's been through, but the fact that they are making an effort gives me a hit of confidence. As I said in the other thread, I feel like they've made the change to the finish line to keep spectators away from that cafe strip and stop people congregating unnecessarily in that reasonably confined space. Can only assume that the change to the transition location is to allow more spacing as well, especially if race entry numbers are down. 

Received this an hour ago:

---

Dear Ben,

We hope this email finds you safe and well.

No doubt you’ve been closely monitoring the situation here in Australia and closer to home in Queensland over the past few months and wondering about the certainty of IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast taking place as planned on 13 September 2020.

While the situation continues to be highly changeable, and we’ve faced enormous challenges over the past few months, I want to reassure you that our team, with the support of our stakeholders, are doing everything we can to ensure the event can take place on 13 September 2020, for those who are able to attend.

Current Queensland Government restrictions mean that with an approved COVID Safe Event Plan, events between 500 - 10,000 can take place. We are pleased to confirm that our IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast COVID Safe Plan was approved today. More information about how this relates to your experience will be shared over the coming weeks.

If interstate borders remain closed we expect to be in a position to proceed with a Queensland only event, subject to any further changes in health orders. So, for now, we encourage you to keep your training up, stay positive, and stay patient.

We hope to see you in September.

Luke Palmer,
IRONMAN 70.3 Sunshine Coast Race Director

I'm somewhat regretting deferring to next year now that it seems its going ahead. 

Saying that, I've had little chance to train in the last couple of months anyway due to huge workload etc etc.

Good luck to all competing. Will be a great day to be racing thats for sure!

2 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

I'm somewhat regretting deferring to next year now that it seems its going ahead. 

Saying that, I've had little chance to train in the last couple of months anyway due to huge workload etc etc.

As much as it sucks to defer from an event that may go ahead, I'm sure you'd rather be in decent condition on the beach. It's a long day and if you're not prepared for it, it's even longer. Nobody wants to be standing on the beach wishing that they did more swim training.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

Good luck to all competing. Will be a great day to be racing thats for sure!

Registrations are still open, just saying 😀

I'm in! For my 4th year in a row, looking forward to it! Especially with all the uncertainty prior to this.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

See the numbers probably only 400 or 500 ?.Will be like the 80's before the sport became sardines...

Where did you see that?

1 hour ago, BNothling said:

As much as it sucks to defer from an event that may go ahead, I'm sure you'd rather be in decent condition on the beach. It's a long day and if you're not prepared for it, it's even longer. Nobody wants to be standing on the beach wishing that they did more swim training.

100% correct. I've tried to do a half iron off littel training before and while I did complete, it was pretty awful. Rather be in good shape!

38 minutes ago, k3vski said:

Registrations are still open, just saying 😀

Don't tempt me :D

Good thing about swimming unless you are pointy end trained = about 32 minutes untrained 36 minutes. But lockdown did not impact run or bike so If I could get into QLD I'd probably do it.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Good thing about swimming unless you are pointy end trained = about 32 minutes untrained 36 minutes. But lockdown did not impact run or bike so If I could get into QLD I'd probably do it.

I'm a 2:00/100m swimmer in the pool, but in the open water and with a wetsuit and feet to follow I can manage about 1:53-1:55/100m. When I started swimming again in May, I was struggling to break 2:10/100m. I'm down to about 1:58/100m at the moment but slowly building distance by about 100-200m per week. It'll be a bit rough on the day for me as I'm not a super confident swimmer, but I know that once I get started I'll make it as long as I keep moving my arms and legs in the general direction of travel.

Just now, BNothling said:

I'm a 2:00/100m swimmer in the pool, but in the open water and with a wetsuit and feet to follow I can manage about 1:53-1:55/100m. When I started swimming again in May, I was struggling to break 2:10/100m. I'm down to about 1:58/100m at the moment but slowly building distance by about 100-200m per week. It'll be a bit rough on the day for me as I'm not a super confident swimmer, but I know that once I get started I'll make it as long as I keep moving my arms and legs in the general direction of travel.

Yes, I figure as long as I get out feeling okay, how I fast i go does not matter too much as I'm not winning anything, though a bit like the IM par, over 5 hours we don't like you :)

Just now, BarryBevan said:

Yes, I figure as long as I get out feeling okay, how I fast i go does not matter too much as I'm not winning anything, though a bit like the IM par, over 5 hours we don't like you :)

My PB time was set at the 2018 Sunshine Coast at 5:23:45. I went into the 2019 event massively underdone after the twins arrived a few weeks earlier and did a 5:29:40 with a much higher proportion of fun. All things going well this year, I'm going to be disappointed if I don't break 5:15 or at the very least set a new PB.

22 minutes ago, BNothling said:

My PB time was set at the 2018 Sunshine Coast at 5:23:45. I went into the 2019 event massively underdone after the twins arrived a few weeks earlier and did a 5:29:40 with a much higher proportion of fun. All things going well this year, I'm going to be disappointed if I don't break 5:15 or at the very least set a new PB.

sunny coast is a bit harder than it looks on the map, wind gets up on bike and there is a a bit of lumpy hill and then twisty bits on the run turn around area.

Western Sydney is much easier and then Melbourne and Shepparton are like 30 minutes faster

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

sunny coast is a bit harder than it looks on the map, wind gets up on bike and there is a a bit of lumpy hill and then twisty bits on the run turn around area.

Definitely. This will only be my 3rd event on the course so I'm not massively experienced, but that first few rollers out to the highway, and the hill on the run course can really ruin your race if you go too hard too early.

Just now, BNothling said:

Definitely. This will only be my 3rd event on the course so I'm not massively experienced, but that first few rollers out to the highway, and the hill on the run course can really ruin your race if you go too hard too early.

hah, last year I ran the first 5 k in 20 minutes, thought I was going great until 15 Km and then I hit a wall and carried a piano on my back.

Up until that point i had run for 6 Km with a very nice lady who said come on baby run  with me, even with that motivation I walk jogged home

3 hours ago, BNothling said:

Nobody wants to be standing on the beach wishing that they did more swim training.

Or even worse... having those thoughts while treading water halfway around the course, like I expect I'd be doing 😀

42 minutes ago, bRace said:

Or even worse... having those thoughts while treading water halfway around the course, like I expect I'd be doing 😀

That too. My first race there in 2018 was when that storm hit on race morning and the surf was fairly hectic. The number of people being plucked out at the first turn buoy, or simply withdrawing before even having a crack at it, was crazy.

• Like 1

I cancelled my accomodation today as wasn’t convinced it would go ahead and not ready to race really. I also have been trying to get some Assioma pedals which are still unavailable plus haven’t dipped my toe in the water.  
Hoping Geelong May go ahead next year 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

yep think 2021 is more realistic. Though respect for not being able to race without a PM, my wife still looks amazed when  I come back in and say not riding PM flat.

Were you in Tony Abbott’s security detail?

Edited by trilobite
  • Haha 2
14 hours ago, BNothling said:

That too. My first race there in 2018 was when that storm hit on race morning and the surf was fairly hectic. The number of people being plucked out at the first turn buoy, or simply withdrawing before even having a crack at it, was crazy.

I remember that. It was absolutely bucketing down in transition before race start and Pete Murray was on the mic telling everyone to have a cup of concrete and harden up. Big swell in the surf - getting out to the first buoy was like a roller coaster. Good times.

Athlete guide is up. Well worth a read to see how this is all going to work.

Sounds like lots of QR code scanning to be able to contact trace, aid stations on run course will be self-serve and bike stations will have gloved volunteers. Check in and bike racking will be done via 50 minute appointment windows.

2020_IM70.3SC_AIG_-_FINAL_V1.pdf#_ga=2.2

11 hours ago, BNothling said:

Athlete guide is up. Well worth a read to see how this is all going to work.

Sounds like lots of QR code scanning to be able to contact trace, aid stations on run course will be self-serve and bike stations will have gloved volunteers. Check in and bike racking will be done via 50 minute appointment windows.

2020_IM70.3SC_AIG_-_FINAL_V1.pdf#_ga=2.2

This sounds good and really never knew why we needed people to hand us stuff on the run anyway. If they can do this , then there is hope for a summer season every where except Vic.

Now to get over 20K for swimming this year, bit hard with these 45 minute sessions

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

This sounds good and really never knew why we needed people to hand us stuff on the run anyway. If they can do this , then there is hope for a summer season every where except Vic.

To be honest, I was the same. Reading the guide, a lot of the changes are common sense or will actually improve the experience. Having appointments for bike racking and check in isn't a huge inconvenience, nor is using QR codes to trace where I am at what point in time. I've never needed to have a post-race massage and I'm not a big eater immediately after the finish so that stuff won't be missed for me either.

I think the only change that I'm 'unhappy' about is not being given my medal and towel as I think that's pretty cool, and having to take my own timing chip off. I'm 0-3 at managing that chip strap after a 70.3. 

21 minutes ago, gregb said:

No medals and towels at all, or just not given to the sweaty athletes at the finish line?

Self-serve at the finish line. Not presented by finish line volunteers.

Can anyone tell me what Ironman have said about interstate participants that can't cross the border to race?

Edited by Slowlane
Sorry I even bothered posting
2 minutes ago, zed said:

Numbers look good.

Numbers look good, but there's a lot of people listing states other than QLD against their name. I'm not sure what's going to happen there or if they're QLD residents racing under a different state banner?

2 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Numbers look good, but there's a lot of people listing states other than QLD against their name. I'm not sure what's going to happen there or if they're QLD residents racing under a different state banner?

Even discounting the NSW, VIC, WA etc entrants, there's probably at least 800 QLD? Which would be good. Maybe some of those are interstate now though. But I reckon if they can get 800, that would be good and give us some hope for IMWA.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Can anyone tell me what Ironman have said about interstate participants that can't cross the border to race?

I haven't seen anything from them as yet. They might have been waiting to see if the border will reopen, although I think I heard that QLD want to keep their border closed until Victoria and NSW have eliminated community transmission, so I don't think that's going to happen in the next 3 weeks.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I haven't seen anything from them as yet. They might have been waiting to see if the border will reopen, although I think I heard that QLD want to keep their border closed until Victoria and NSW have eliminated community transmission, so I don't think that's going to happen in the next 3 weeks.

NT has said it won't open its borders till 2022, WA mid 2021... I'm guessing QLD might be similar? I have long service leave and was planning to go to see my folks, brother and sister on the SC, not good...

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Can anyone tell me what Ironman have said about interstate participants that can't cross the boarder to race?

I'm assuming they will be able to transfer their race to another one. No refunds. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, zed said:

Even discounting the NSW, VIC, WA etc entrants, there's probably at least 800 QLD? Which would be good. Maybe some of those are interstate now though. But I reckon if they can get 800, that would be good and give us some hope for IMWA.

Agreed. I'm kinda looking forward to racing on a much quieter bike course. I would imagine that numbers will boost now that they've all but confirmed that the event will go ahead.

36 minutes ago, zed said:

Had a bit of fun with Excel and if you take out everyone on that list who isn't a QLD registered entry, there's 823 on the list.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Slowlane said:

Can anyone tell me what Ironman have said about interstate participants that can't cross the boarder to race?

Border

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BNothling said:

They want a month of no community transmission before we let them in. That's a long way away, especially for Victoria.

42 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Border

Haha, thanks AA7.
I’ve been biting my keyboard fingers to not respond to all the consistent misspelling.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1