Appetite to attend races

6 minutes ago, trilobite said:

As a thought experiment, if no restrictions (eg quarantine, travel, etc) were required, would you feel comfortable with participating in a tri at the moment (let’s say a large event like Port or Noosa)?

Yep. If I can look after myself and my own health - washing hands, face mask, social distancing - I'd be OK with it. Realistically the only time you'd be near someone would be at registration, bike racking, swim start and finish line.

I'd like to think that for a major event like that, if you're feeling under the weather, you're probably not going to be attending and especially cautious about mingling near everyone given the social stigma of coughing in public at the moment.

Edited by BNothling
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I'd like to think that for a major event like that, if you're feeling under the weather, you're probably not going to be attending and especially cautious about mingling near everyone given the social stigma of coughing in public at the moment.

I'd also like to think if you had actually tested positive for covid, you would stay home & quarantine. That seems to be working sell in Vic.

Triathletes are often self absorbed and "everything is about me". If they haven't had the chance to compete for nearly a year, do you really think feeling slightly under the weather will stop them.

Though I do agree that if you are careful & take all the proper restrictions, you do limit the chance of catching it yourself.

Right now, is probably make the choice to not do it.  I think I'd wait till next year's races and see what happens.  I'm not concerned about catching it myself, but I think I'd just let things settle down for a while.

No, I have no plans to race in the near future.  Currently setting my sights on the 2021/22 season.  Might do some Trail Running races during the 2021 Winter (assuming things are under control by then).

For reference, I've averaged over 10 races per year for the last 17 years.

Also have no intention of catching the train or working from the office in the near future.  Very happy working from home.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BNothling said:

Yep. If I can look after myself and my own health - washing hands, face mask, social distancing - I'd be OK with it. Realistically the only time you'd be near someone would be at registration, bike racking, swim start and finish line.

The severity of these risks to long term health (and athletic capacity) don’t outweigh the potentially low likelihood?

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/what-are-the-long-term-health-risks-post-covid-19

I'm in QLD and planning to race GC Running Festival in a few weeks and probably some of the QTS races following that. Currently, QLD has low case numbers, closed borders, and it's tentatively looking like we might avoid the escalation being experienced by those down south. But, if that changes, I would probably not race.

All going well with continued low numbers, I'm comfortable that I won't be mingling and will have minimal contact with anyone/anything. For a bigger and busier event like Noosa, I'd be watching the infection numbers closely, but might still consider it.

Here in WA I am comfortable as long as the border restrictions remain.

Last weekend I did the Perth Half Marathon. The only concession to Covid was wave starts. I took a camelbak so that I do not need to use the on course hydration.

1 hour ago, bRace said:

I'm in QLD and planning to race GC Running Festival in a few weeks and probably some of the QTS races following that. Currently, QLD has low case numbers, closed borders, and it's tentatively looking like we might avoid the escalation being experienced by those down south. But, if that changes, I would probably not race.

All going well with continued low numbers, I'm comfortable that I won't be mingling and will have minimal contact with anyone/anything. For a bigger and busier event like Noosa, I'd be watching the infection numbers closely, but might still consider it.

are you sure the GC Running festival is on?  I see they say they have a covid safe plan but has it been approved by the Qld Govt?

Common knowledge - triathletes dont get COVID. 

Doing races..... My bike box is packed.

In all honesty - what BNothling said in the first response. You just need to be safe and if people are unwell they should go near the place.

Oh.... Noosa - social distancing bike racking - hope your not the unlucky one who has to rack there bike on the Monday/Tuesday before race day :)

• Haha 1

Give it up, racing is bloody selfish, shelve 2020 and respect that people are dying because selfish prats want to do their special thing. Eventually every one has their oh we can control it.

People die, real people died, Vics are in absolute dire situation and doing tris is some how important.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
4 hours ago, AA7 said:

Racing this weekend. I feel quite comfortable doing so.

Thats the USA mindset, I'll be fine, when there are people who could be impacted by your choice who had no say in what you did

• Sad 1
8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Give it up, racing is bloody selfish, shelve 2020 and respect that people are dying because selfish prats want to do their special thing. Eventually every one has their oh we can control it.

People die, real people died, Vics are in absolute dire situation and doing tris is some how important.

Or if you want to be selfish, does the risk of having your heart / lung function permanently impaired not ring alarm bells?

Edited by trilobite
52 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Or if you want to be selfish, does the risk of having your heart / lung function permanently impaired not ring alarm bells?

Would hope so!!

For anyone about to climb into me for my reply, I am not rational, it is 3 months since my kids relatively young grandma died of COVID and it sucked big time watching her die.

And I'm in a foul mood, and hate 2020

Edited by BarryBevan
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

Good for you guys - seriously. 
I know I’m selfish however I’ll just do what the government tells me. If they say it’s ok to race, I’ll be racing. 

Edited by Bosco
1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

4.4 M died in the first 6 months of this year from Starvation (24665 died today as at 19:19)........ same thing happens year in year out. Did you change your ways in any of those years? 

Suicide 642,892 this year so far.........you don't know peoples circumstances. You don't know what drives people - some people may need to do tri's (race/Train) to avoid being  a statistic.

There have been 35 million deaths this year already.

The answer is to be mindful and sensible. For the most part it would seem people are. And from the responses most people above have this front of mind.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Would hope so!!

For anyone about to climb into me for my reply, I am not rational, it is 3 months since my kids relatively young grandma died of COVID and it sucked big time watching her die.

And I'm in a foul mood, and hate 2020

You speak from experience. Condolences to you and your family. Never good.

But....like i posted above we all need to be mindful and sensible in what we do. That said...I would still race. I would take the same approach as i do when going into Woolworths. I take the appropraite precautions.

6 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

You speak from experience. Condolences to you and your family. Never good.

But....like i posted above we all need to be mindful and sensible in what we do. That said...I would still race. I would take the same approach as i do when going into Woolworths. I take the appropraite precautions.

Sure, I don't know mate, I don't even know what I'm doing right now, I just try to get through each day trying to answer my boys when they ask will she be happy in heaven, will the dog be there with her and why dod coronavirus take her away.

I make crap up, which I suppose every one ever gone before me did, this just feels more crap than it should be. Look I get it the shops is more likely to give it to you than doing a tri.

In a way sports might be a good answer, I know the EPL and Liverpool title helped me, and outdoors activity has been shown to be very low risk

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Prince said:

are you sure the GC Running festival is on?  I see they say they have a covid safe plan but has it been approved by the Qld Govt?

Yep, as far as I know. They got the tick a few days ago according to their FB announcement. I'm still holding off registering until closer to the date, in case the situation here changes.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, trilobite said:

So back to the risk of permanent lung scarring impairing respiratory function - this doesn’t seem like a material concern for many athletes?

I feel more anxious about catching it doing the groceries or being at work.

Going off how many snot factories and coughing machines still turned up to swim squads over the years, the chance of a triathlete risking a forced lay off by getting tested is pretty low.  I reckon plenty would happily race with symptoms too.  

Trilobite- I am unsure if you wanted to create discussion with this thread or actually wanted to feel where people are at? . If you are wanting amoral discussion on Coronvirus, selfishness of people etc, can we do it in one box in sandbox? It looks fun over there and I hate seeing some of that cross into Trichat area. 

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Trilobite- I am unsure if you wanted to create discussion with this thread or actually wanted to feel where people are at? . If you are wanting amoral discussion on Coronvirus, selfishness of people etc, can we do it in one box in sandbox? It looks fun over there and I hate seeing some of that cross into Trichat area. 

The risk of long term complications associated with contracting COVID-19 (see the link I posted earlier in the thread) has dampened my enthusiasm for attending races.

I was curious on how others assessed the risk (ie struggling to walk a tri course in future) against the benefit (ie getting an IM / 1/2 IM done in 2020).

In that regard, there seem to be quite a few people inclined to the view that I’m being a girly man.

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

So back to the risk of permanent lung scarring impairing respiratory function - this doesn’t seem like a material concern for many athletes?

Pre-COVID-19 the chance of serious health damage if you train too soon after a virus is well know and that never stopped people from "getting back in the saddle".  Has human nature changed that much?

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

In that regard, there seem to be quite a few people inclined to the view that I’m being a girly man.

Where do you live Trilobite? If in NQ, then maybe you could be doing some races. I'd be a bit "girly boy" about doing any bigger races here in SEQ.

If racing was on, and I was allowed to get there, I'd be comfortable.  

I would do all the PPE things as we are doing now - keep away from others, hand sanitiser, clan surfaces, mask.  

I figure not much different than going to the supermarket or such. 

Your exposure to any one person would be minimal, and according to the Govt. #cough# it's only a risk if you are within a distance for a certain period of time to be a risk.

My only issue is that as of an MI last week, I'm not even walking, let alone running (progressive knee degeneration - and need a newy)

2 hours ago, Turts said:

Your exposure to any one person would be minimal, and according to the Govt. #cough# it's only a risk if you are within a distance for a certain period of time to be a risk.

Not really, it only takes one airborne droplet of sweat or spit so hence my surprise if they allow racing, considering they won't allow the protests to go ahead here in QLD due to social distancing concerns. (rightly so i might add)

Any decent number of athletes in an ironman race or half marathon etc, there is just no way of social distancing. Porta Loos for a start, drink stations, bike compound. 

Edited by Prince
  • Like 1
On 06/08/2020 at 11:23 AM, trilobite said:

As a thought experiment, if no restrictions (eg quarantine, travel, etc) were required, would you feel comfortable with participating in a tri at the moment (let’s say a large event like Port or Noosa)?

Sydney metro, maybe as I can race and leave and so can everyone else, but I would need assurance that everyone plays by the rules, and from what I have seen, I cannot confirm they will.

Coastal NSW (Port, Forster) no, as I cannot race and leave, and others cannot either. We would be putting our germy selves into what are essentially retirement villages. These people are not in aged care homes, they are in neighbourhoods and it's not fair to lock them away just so we can come race.

20 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Sure, I don't know mate, I don't even know what I'm doing right now, I just try to get through each day trying to answer my boys when they ask will she be happy in heaven, will the dog be there with her and why dod coronavirus take her away.

I make crap up, which I suppose every one ever gone before me did, this just feels more crap than it should be. Look I get it the shops is more likely to give it to you than doing a tri.

In a way sports might be a good answer, I know the EPL and Liverpool title helped me, and outdoors activity has been shown to be very low risk

By the sound of it your boys are young. I can only suggest to keep positive and discuss with them the good times they had with her. Your positivity is important to them. Stay strong/Stay safe!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where do you live Trilobite? If in NQ, then maybe you could be doing some races. I'd be a bit "girly boy" about doing any bigger races here in SEQ.

SEQ (perfect conditions right now for some Mt Coot-tha repeats)

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Is there some sort of requirement to train before you race??

For the first time in 28 years since I started to compete in tris, this bullshit around 1 hour of training has removed my motivation to train. 

IM Cairns is run by a delusional bunch of people that refuse to face reality. Thee is no chance it will happen

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2020 at 9:29 PM, POT said:

For the first time in 28 years since I started to compete in tris, this bullshit around 1 hour of training has removed my motivation to train. 

IM Cairns is run by a delusional bunch of people that refuse to face reality. Thee is no chance it will happen

POT it's an absolute cracker of a day in Melbourne today with the most beautiful blue skies - I was out early this morning for a pretty hard and technical ride albeit for an only an hour and within the 5k limit - bagging a Strava PB in the process and almost no cars!  Followed by a great coffee and an awesome sunrise.    Mate, ya gotta get out there!! :)

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, PeterW said:

POT it's an absolute cracker of a day in Melbourne today with the most beautiful blue skies - I was out early this morning for a pretty hard and technical ride albeit for an only an hour and within the 5k limit - bagging a Strava PB in the process and almost no cars!  Followed by a great coffee and an awesome sunrise.    Mate, ya gotta get out there!! :)

How do the cops know if you're out for longer than your one hour or if you're out for the second time in a day? Apart from them obviously seeing you twice or for a long time, which I assume would be very unlucky.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

How do the cops know if you're out for longer than your one hour or if you're out for the second time in a day? Apart from them obviously seeing you twice or for a long time, which I assume would be very unlucky.

Call me paranoid, but by sheer coincidence and good luck... :) 

...all of my Strava activities are around 59 minutes long....

2 hours ago, AA7 said:

they don't. First time or second time. Just because it is not really enforceable doesn't mean they can't make it a rule and ask people to follow it.