Garmin experts needed

So......I am told I need to get a Garmin Bike computer. 

Currently I have 2 bikes see pics.

1. Polygon has an old wireless Bike computer and pretty much all I use it for is seeing how far I rode.

2. Cervelo has no computer. It has a SRAM red e-tap and I am told it has a power meter. I have no idea on this other than it has this dial on the crank with Q on it. Someone told me it is quark or quartz or something. I don't even know if it has a battery in it. how do I check.

Questions:

a) Do I need a Garmin bike computer

b) if so...why and which one..... there are 10 to choose from on the website. Whats compatable to a Q power meter. 

c) do I need to buy 2 (one for each bike).

d) how do you install them as the attachment thingy is for round handle bars not flat aero bars.

e) If i get one etc, who sets it up and who sets up what power i am supposed to push and how do you find that out.

IMG_8444.JPG

a) Do I need a Garmin bike computer - yes.  Cadence, HR, Power and other cool stuff like Strava - I'm told KOM hunting is very addictive (apparently).

b) if so...why and which one..... there are 10 to choose from on the website. Whats compatable to a Q power meter - somebody? Anybody? I have Garmin Edge 810. Had it for a few years now and very happy with it. I'm not a tech geek though so there may be better models available by now.

c) do I need to buy 2 (one for each bike) - No, just buy one bike computer and set up a bike profile for each bike which you can flick between depending on which bike you're on.

d) how do you install them as the attachment thingy is for round handle bars not flat aero bars - buy a mount for each bike. Mine is a K-edge Garmin TT mount like this:

11514814-1884506631535850.thumb.jpg.3db3c2bf2581fbdf8c104fa3710598d6.jpg

https://www.probikekit.co.uk/cycling-accessories/k-edge-garmin-tt-mount/11514813.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&variation=11514814&shoppingpid=ATM10_191217_&&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000051674281&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6575BRCQARIsAMp-ksNDztXPmtapdnmebnue1Yg-VsoQYtH3hhR0uBjRugNaFy9xjmw6jjYaAgc4EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The device fits really snug between the bars. The gap between my bars is 55mm including bar tape so make sure you have at least that much space as I barely have a mm to spare as you can see on the left side of my Garmin Edge 810:

IMG_20200803_190040_resized_20200803_070558506.jpg

If you race with an aero bottle up on your bars, make sure you can still fit the bottle mount on without messing with the device position. I can do this with my Bontrager components. The device is almost invisible (see below). If you can't do this, there are other types of mounts that fit to various aero bottle systems but it all gets a bit stacked and messy.

IMG_20200801_193551_431_resized_20200803_080626310.jpg.530d5741d666e18addfdfaf5fd5bcaab.jpg

e) If i get one etc, who sets it up and who sets up what power i am supposed to push and how do you find that out. - you set it up. It's easy peasy. Just go to Garmin connect and open an account for yourself, pair it with your bluetooth gadgets, HR strap, strava etc. Setting up the device is easy. Someone else will know about pairing it with your power meter but it paired easily with my Tacx Neo power meter seamlessly.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping to get a 530 for birthday soon, have left serious hints!  It retails for $500 but you can usually find it for $400 somewhere.

The ones I'd be looking at would be the 130plus, 530, 830 or 1030/130plus.  They pretty much all will connect with power meters and give you everything you want.  They all work with the garmin varia radars.  The smaller the number, the lesser the pretty features, but they all do the basics.  130 = non colour, non touch screen, max 12hrs battery.  530 is colour, non touchscreen and adds some mapping/routing/navigation ability, max 20hrs battery.  830 adds the touchscreen and better navigation ability (can set an actual address when navigating).  1030/1030plus is to show off to your mates.

I ride mostly with dudes with more money than they know what to do with and most have garmin 520/530's.

With regards to battery life, the more things you connect up (strava live, hrm, power meter, cadence/speed, etc etc) plus the backlight setting (thx TC) will suck a little battery life.  I reckon those stats are done with nothing connected.  But it'll last you fine.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Think they are up to the Edge 830 now ?

What's the battery life like -- I have a 520 at the moment and battery only lasts for about 6 hours or so

I think this is a well known problem for the 520.  530 is spose to have fixed it.

• Like 1

a) Do I need a Garmin bike computer if you want, but I just pair all my junk to my watch, less for me to think about during a race.

b) if so...why and which one..... there are 10 to choose from on the website. Whats compatable to a Q power meter. Most of the mid-range and higher end ones are compatible with the Quarq power meters.

c) do I need to buy 2 (one for each bike). Should be able to get away with 1 and two mounts, just remember to change the bike profile over when you change bikes, that way you have power data on the screen when you have the bike with the power meter and not when you are on the other bike :) I should probably setup the profiles on my watch 🤣

d) how do you install them as the attachment thingy is for round handle bars not flat aero bars. As the post above, but I also have an xlab torpedo bottle that comes with a garmin mount, I don't use mine. I might dig it out and pop it up here for someone to have.

e) If i get one etc, who sets it up and who sets up what power i am supposed to push and how do you find that out. Should be easy enough to pair everything, just need to look at replacing the battery in the power meter and calibrating the thing. It's a pain in the fingers to get off and on, I'll dig out a pic. Also, you are in Sydney, I can give you a hand :) 

Edited by MissJess
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

What's the battery life like -- I have a 520 at the moment and battery only lasts for about 6 hours or so

My 520 is only a few years old and I can only get 4hrs at best out of with no backlight. Less than 3hrs with back light. It died at 120km in Port Mac 2019. 😖

I just bought myself a Wahoo Bolt to compare. Interface isn't as nice as the 520 but the buttons are easier to mange with winter gloves on.

• Like 1

There we go - if it is on tight you might need an adjustable spanner to get her loose. It's almost like a jar lid, it's a bit fiddly, like most of the devices that need CR2032 batteries (which you can get from the supermarket and are a BITCH to get out of the pack). In order to pair you will need to dump her on a trainer or ride. When it is on there is a little red light that comes on the meter itself. The Garmin interfaces are pretty good with the calibration process, which you just need to have the pedal straight down with no weight on it.Capture.JPG.5dc374c35b1ee3d340ec4a70de5d83a8.JPG

• Thanks 1

Also, from what I understand of the 130plus, you have to do all the configuration of the screens etc on the 130plus unit itself.  I believe with the 530 up you can actually do that within the app on your phone, which may be a little more user friendly. Saying that, once you've set things up how you want you tend to just leave well enough alone.

As others have said, there are other players to look at.  To me, it's a bit like the apple/google thing.  I'm entrenched in google, so won't ever get an iphone.  My wife is the other way, totally in the apple ecosystem.  I've been in the garmins since the 310xt, so just can't be bothered with looking into another ecosystem (wahoo for instance).  They all will work with strava, but I don't do much with strava other than congratulate people on their rides.  If you aren't already into one ecosystem or another, you can just choose which one you want to go with.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

So......I am told I need to get a Garmin Bike computer. 

Currently I have 2 bikes see pics.

1. Polygon has an old wireless Bike computer and pretty much all I use it for is seeing how far I rode.

2. Cervelo has no computer. It has a SRAM red e-tap and I am told it has a power meter. I have no idea on this other than it has this dial on the crank with Q on it. Someone told me it is quark or quartz or something. I don't even know if it has a battery in it. how do I check.

If you've been using an old wireless bike computer, a $400 bike computer is probably going to be overkill. I like my 520 because of all the data ir provides, but if you're not interested in average speed, power, cadence etc then go with something basic.

• Like 1

No you don't 

Your 920xt should be able to pick up power from your PM. You may have to strap it to the bars to get it to read (distance to wrist may be 2 far)

Ask some of the young people on your next tri club ride to set it up for you.

• Like 1

You guys/girls are legends. Thank you thank you thank you. 

I got 10x more out of reading the above in a few minutes than I did sitting on the Garmin website for a few hours. Website gave me the impression I can only sync Power meter with a Garmin (pedal) power meter.

Goughy - will post crank this evening but it's pretty much what Jess posted with that little Q thing on the pedal.

8 hours ago, The Customer said:

Brilliant

6 hours ago, MissJess said:

which you can get from the supermarket and are a BITCH to get out of the pack

Very deliberately so and it's a good thing!  So much energy in such a small package  - if swallowed by a child they make a real mess!

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

e) If i get one etc, who sets it up and who sets up what power i am supposed to push and how do you find that out.

Most average triathletes are comfortable with 300 watts for an easy training ride, pumping it up to around 400+ for a long sustained effort.  If you can't do that you might as well take up crochet....

Sorry I couldn't resist! Seriously, it is a bit like cadence speed or heart rate - as you ride more and take more notice you will get to understand what you can and can't do and learn to "keep it real" in a race when your ego wants to write cheques your body can't cash. (a bit cliche' but I've always wanted to say that!) I think most people have an FTP (kinda like your 1 hour max) of about 250...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Goughy - will post crank this evening but it's pretty much what Jess posted with that little Q thing on the pedal.

Not that I'll be any help with it.  Just thought the collective here can help you once they know exactly what you're got, and pics help with that.

Here is the pic of the crank. I unscrewed that Q thing. Didn't even have a battery in it. I have had it for about 6 months and I never knew :)

IMG_0014.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, PeterW said:

Most average triathletes are comfortable with 300 watts for an easy training ride, pumping it up to around 400+ for a long sustained effort.  If you can't do that you might as well take up crochet....

That my Sir is the triathlon equivalent of the Whirlpool Forums where everyone earns $200k and if you are not, you might as well be a janitor 🤣

• Like 1
On 05/08/2020 at 9:41 AM, IronmanFoz said:

Here is the pic of the crank. I unscrewed that Q thing. Didn't even have a battery in it. I have had it for about 6 months and I never knew :)

IMG_0014.JPG

it;s been a while since I fired up my Quarq but from memory there was a bit of a process to keeping them real - I think you had to do some kind of "force calibration" before the ride and check it was within certain limits, and pedal backwards during the ride every now and again to keep it accurate ?!  Not sure if you even have to do that crap anymore but might pay to google your model and see what the correct procedure is for your model. Other than that it is an excellent device :)

Oh, and it needs a magnet behind it (on the BB/chainstay) which, as i recall can be a bit of a pain to get going sometimes.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Update: I have tonight purchased a Garmin 530 Cycling computer. 

Don’t be surprised if I start asking new questions in the coming weeks. 
The knowledge of everyone on this forum is always a joy and appreciated.

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1

Did you know that the Garmin 945 when paired with a HRM-RUN strap will actually give respiration (breath) rate? Apparently it does it by the slight change in pulse when you breath in and out. How freak'n cool is that?!! :)

My 935 can't do it apparently, even when partnered with the new HR strap.  I'm devastated :( 

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

Did you know that the Garmin 945 when paired with a HRM-RUN strap will actually give respiration (breath) rate? Apparently it does it by the slight change in pulse when you breath in and out. How freak'n cool is that?!! :)

My 935 can't do it apparently, even when partnered with the new HR strap.  I'm devastated :( 

My Edge 530 bike computer does it, but my 935 watch does not. I pair them with the HRM-TRI. It's clearly a firmware thing because the strap is the same across both devices.

They've gotta hold some features for just the new devices, otherwise there'd be no need for people to upgrade.  I'm still peeved my original Garmin F3 never got the wrist hr upgrade 😉

10 minutes ago, Naut said:

Yeah, my 530 does it with my Wahoo chest strap.

Do you think it is helpful to know how fast we are breathing? Probably more for running than riding maybe? it's not something I thought about much, but people do make comments about how fast/shallow I am breathing when I am going hard?

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Do you think it is helpful to know how fast we are breathing? Probably more for running than riding maybe? it's not something I thought about much, but people do make comments about how fast/shallow I am breathing when I am going hard?

I look at it a bit like average HR, the relationship between power and average respiration rate. So if my efforts are roughly the same but my respiration rate is coming down over time, it would indicate that I am functioning more efficiently.

Not super scientific, but then none of my training ever is.

• Like 1

I have the 530 and luv it. I find the maps really useful when I am riding in an area I am not familiar with.

I am no power guru. However when I am in the TT position I have the cycling dynamics page open on the 530. It helps me to concentrate on smooth pedaling and increasing the power phase of each revolution.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-AEA5BC72-9B27-4F4A-8E44-68E24DDC57D0.html

• Like 1

I use my 935 for everything and didn't use any kind device for years before that.  The only bike computer I would consider is one of the new Garmin  jobs that show rideable trails when exploring on the XC bike.

Plus you don't have the worry of it getting nicked from your bike.

I don't do Strava or any of that stuff, so my needs are pretty simple.

Edited by FatPom

Update: Garmin 530 arrived in the post today. ($499.00), but was able to get 25% off so got it for $374.00.

Opened boxed.....looked scary so closed box again. 10 minutes later re-ropened....decided I need TT mounts...so order x 2 from Bike Bug.

Zipp - Garmin mounts are $26.00

Garmin are $69.00

K-Edge is $62 GBP pounds.

I went with the Zipps. 

Stay tuned for the next instalment/adventures of Foz going technical.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Turning that data into information, and that information into knowledge is where the magic happens.

That respiration rate data could be quite handy if you were using HR and breathing rate as a measure of perceived exertion on a climb or long ride. Nice and calm breathing with a low HR, compared to breathing out your arse. Could also be an indication of getting sick and not being able to take big, deep breaths.

Just for some basic examples.

I haven't got respiration rate on any my of devices, and it isn't something that would entice me to upgrade.

However...

I often use strides per breath to gauge my pace:

- 3  strides per breath in, 3 strides per breath out = easy aerobic pace

- 2 strides per breath in, 2 strides per breath out = threshold pace

Would be 'mildly' interesting to see how the above stats match heart rate zones.  Would help me improve my 'perceived effort'

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Rob said:

I haven't got respiration rate on any my of devices, and it isn't something that would entice me to upgrade.

However...

Would be 'mildly' interesting to see how the above stats match heart rate zones.  Would help me improve my 'perceived effort'

I am assuming that you call stride rate 90 (ie cycles of one foot) as opposed to 180 (counting both feet) in which case that gives you a breath rate of between 30 and 45 which is pretty much in line with Peter's metrics.

Although if I am mistaken you are breathing between 60 and 90 in which case you probably raise a few eyebrows!!

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I am assuming that you call stride rate 90 (ie cycles of one foot) as opposed to 180 (counting both feet) in which case that gives you a breath rate of between 30 and 45 which is pretty much in line with Peter's metrics.

Although if I am mistaken you are breathing between 60 and 90 in which case you probably raise a few eyebrows!!

20 hours ago, Rob said:

3 strides per breath in, 3 strides per breath out = 6 strides per full breath (in and out)

So at 180 strides per minute, that would be 30 breaths per minute

• Like 1
On 23/09/2020 at 6:27 AM, Rob said:

However...

AP used to say 4 strides in and 4 out for easy but I could never make it sync. I find 3 in/out much easier. 

My brain can't function calmly enough once the pace really ramps up, so I have NFI what's happening then. 😅

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, FatPom said:

AP used to say 4 strides in and 4 out for easy but I could never make it sync. I find 3 in/out much easier

But then you are always breathing out on one leg and and in on the other...  e.g. breath in on R,L,R, out on L,R,L, in on R,L,R, etc. When you breath out, your diaphragm / core relaxes a bit and you dont *hold* yourself as well.  Better to do a 4/3 or 3/2?  I do the latter....

I have a HRM run, and when I do a 3/3 or a 2/2 run, my GCTB (ground contact time balance) is quite different on a RL,RL to  LR,LR - hope that makes sense...

• Like 1

I'm just saying what works for me., I can't 4/4 and can do 3/3.  One is easy and one isn't in my world but every now and then I find my cycle has turned, so I'm probably not doing it exactly on step.

Either way, I haven't died yet, so all good.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎23‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 12:33 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Update: Garmin 530 arrived in the post today. ($499.00), but was able to get 25% off so got it for $374.00.

Opened boxed.....looked scary so closed box again. 10 minutes later re-ropened....decided I need TT mounts...so order x 2 from Bike Bug.

Zipp - Garmin mounts are $26.00

Garmin are $69.00

K-Edge is $62 GBP pounds.

I went with the Zipps. 

Stay tuned for the next instalment/adventures of Foz going technical.

Things clearly go very slowly in the Foz household. Today, approx 30 days since I got my Garmin Edge 530, I actually went and put a battery in the Qarq power metre. To my surprise a little green light came on.

Looks like i have been able to pair it with the Garmin and update a few settings etc. Now I guess I just need to ride it and then have someone tell me what I should be pushing. 

Any suggestions for what is next are welcome.

Until next time.