I just entered a competition at work to win a free entry to IMWA2020.  Probably the only race that’ll go ahead this year.  Better start training.

Think I’m going to go to an all fish diet, my freezer is nearly overflowing with Coral trout at the moment.

not sure if I should do the marathon in just budgy’s this year, been talking about it for a while now.

been hitting the gym a bit lately, not really working out though.  Just been going so the wife stops threatening to pull my membership.  I like being a member of a club.

even put my bike light on charge before I went to work tonight, with the intent of going for a ride in the morning.....bed is more appealing right now though. 

• Like 3

I don't think the corona virus will affect whether or not IMWA goes ahead,  probably more about $$? If the borders are open to WA, it will be only a few states, so numbers will be limited. I'd imagine there are a fair few (like me) that don't want to commit to an IM program without some kind of assurance the race is going ahead as well. If they only get 500 entrants for IMWA would the race still go ahead? Everyone gets a Kona spot! You will just need to wait till 2025.

Edited by zed
Just now, trilobite said:

How did Clive Palmer get on with his constitutional law challenge to the WA border closure?

Still in court at the moment.

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I just entered a competition at work to win a free entry to IMWA2020.  Probably the only race that’ll go ahead this year.  Better start training.

Think I’m going to go to an all fish diet, my freezer is nearly overflowing with Coral trout at the moment.

not sure if I should do the marathon in just budgy’s this year, been talking about it for a while now.

been hitting the gym a bit lately, not really working out though.  Just been going so the wife stops threatening to pull my membership.  I like being a member of a club.

even put my bike light on charge before I went to work tonight, with the intent of going for a ride in the morning.....bed is more appealing right now though. 

That is a weird prize for a competition. I guess that the company that we both work for gets a few free entries as they are a race sponsor.

Good luck with the training.

2 hours ago, trilobite said:

How did Clive Palmer get on with his constitutional law challenge to the WA border closure?

I wouldn’t minds a few dollars on him winning.  

and the WA will do a deal with just Queensland and tassie and SA and Clive will be happy with that. 

23 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

That is a weird prize for a competition. 

It is isn't it! Most people would want an Iphone or dinner for 2 not an entry into a race where you have to train 3 months for!

1 hour ago, zed said:

It is isn't it! Most people would want an Iphone or dinner for 2 not an entry into a race where you have to train 3 months for!

I guess being that the company is providing the vollies it’s a fair deal that they get given two entries to give away.  I’d rather a dinner for two also but seen as though I’m toying with the idea of participating again I figure I may as well put an entry in and save myself ~$900 if I were to win.

• Like 2
On 29/07/2020 at 10:12 AM, Peter said:

I wouldn’t minds a few dollars on him winning.  

I also think that he will win the high court challenge. I also think that he will lose a lot of WA votes.

He has bugger all votes to lose !!!!!!

What will be interesting if that he wins and I think he will [ based on the constitution stating that all states must provide free and open access across the borders at all times] and the worst happens and we get a bunch of Corona cases here the government will blame Clive for forcing the border to be open and the locals will be mighty pissed.

He has a house here in Applecross.....it will be vandalised and burned to the ground with him in it.

5 hours ago, KieranR said:

I guess being that the company is providing the vollies it’s a fair deal that they get given two entries to give away.  I’d rather a dinner for two also but seen as though I’m toying with the idea of participating again I figure I may as well put an entry in and save myself ~$900 if I were to win.

Don't toy.......Do!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Its so sad its funny.

no cases in months from anyone other than returned travellers. 
The economy is apparently booming in WA

you can travel anywhere.

but can’t do a race.  

I guess its all About protecting the West Aussies. 

• Haha 1

Pretty inevitable. I had a look at the start list for 2019 IMWA and it was 70% overseas or interstate competitors. They would have been lucky to get 300 people.

Yes, the half in October is definitely going ahead. And I am sure the numbers will be boosted by this turn of events. I know in our club a few are already saying, "well, better train for October instead then...."

29 minutes ago, Katz said:

Yes, the half in October is definitely going ahead. And I am sure the numbers will be boosted by this turn of events. I know in our club a few are already saying, "well, better train for October instead then...."

I'm on a condensed 6 week program lol

I'm going to sign up as late as possible when I know what the weather is like. If it's too cold, too hot, too wet, too sunny, too windy, too choppy I'm not doing it.

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, zed said:

I'm on a condensed 6 week program lol

I'm going to sign up as late as possible when I know what the weather is like. If it's too cold, too hot, too wet, too sunny, too windy, too choppy I'm not doing it.

Spoken like a true triathlete. lol

Now that this is cancelled -- what is everyone else doing that has registered?

I was thinking of taking the credit -- but think it will then cost money to enter into another race - active fee?- can't seem to find any info about any hidden costs.

52 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

I was thinking of taking the credit -- but think it will then cost money to enter into another race - active fee?- can't seem to find any info about any hidden costs.

As above Busso in October. Then Mullaloo OD 2 weeks later. I guess WA could still have a full race season despite COVID-19 minus IMWA. 

1 hour ago, Youngy2 said:

I would check with them, it depends on how they will raise the credit, if they raise it as a cover the full ticket including the active fee then there should be nothing to pay (that would more or less be a transfer), but if they just raise it as the cost of the ticket (so excluding active), then there will be an active fee to pay on top.

At least you get a credit, you are in a better spot than us who have had Port cancelled on us twice now, it's now May 2021. Not sure if we will ever get an event over 500 here until there is a vaccine. I reckon the council won't like it.

2 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I would check with them, it depends on how they will raise the credit, if they raise it as a cover the full ticket including the active fee then there should be nothing to pay (that would more or less be a transfer), but if they just raise it as the cost of the ticket (so excluding active), then there will be an active fee to pay on top.

At least you get a credit, you are in a better spot than us who have had Port cancelled on us twice now, it's now May 2021. Not sure if we will ever get an event over 500 here until there is a vaccine. I reckon the council won't like it.

Cheers

I had entered Port as well-- I had transferred to the weekend just gone but now 2021

3 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

I am going to roll my IMWA over to 2021. I have taken a credit for UTA. 

Until there is a vaccine, I will not be entering any races early.

12 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I am going to roll my IMWA over to 2021. I have taken a credit for UTA. 

Until there is a vaccine, I will not be entering any races early.

Coming down for the half IN?

24 minutes ago, Katz said:

Coming down for the half IN?

Sadly no. I am going back to work next week. So will be away for the half. It is a pity as I am in the best run and cycle shape that I have been in for 10+ years.

Are you doing the Half?

4 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Sadly no. I am going back to work next week. So will be away for the half. It is a pity as I am in the best run and cycle shape that I have been in for 10+ years.

Are you doing the Half?

Nah. Stikman is 'racing', I will be manning the greatest club tent in history.

I'm on a surgical list and was supposed to be done by now, but it's becoming increasingly likely it'll be right on top of the half, so I decided to just stop training and be a fat lazy slob instead. :D 

44 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Since this race got cancelled I’ve done the most exercise I’ve done all year 😂 - 4 days in a row

We should go down and do an unofficial Ironman

I wonder how much it would cost for TWA or even Busso tri club to run an Ironman at the same weekend. I know Busso tri club have done a few unofficial 70.3s as training sessions. 

A lot of people will have accomodation booked for that weekend. There will probably be a number of tri clubs and training groups doing a training camp down there on that weekend.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, pieman said:

@KieranR can be your swim guide, although not sure if him spearing fish would be a shark attractant or repellent...

I’m a bit of a fish snob, I only like shooting coral trout and blue bone - don’t get them down there.  All though I wouldn’t mind finding a great white shark to dive with- I have a long held wish to free dive with one. I find them fascinating.

i swam with a  big tiger shark on Tuesday up here.  Haven’t done that in ages.  It was beautiful.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

A lot of people will have accommodation booked for that weekend. There will probably be a number of tri clubs and training groups doing a training camp down there on that weekend.

Yeah, we're booked and going down. We're organising a club weekend of it too. There may be a Trannie or two floating around down there as well. 

10 hours ago, KieranR said:

Since this race got cancelled I’ve done the most exercise I’ve done all year 😂 - 4 days in a row

Good Work Keiran. Keep up the training and balance along with those fishing trips. Set goals on a new race - it will happen!

But gee its hard training at a high level in hope that a race is forthcoming

If you are still going I’d suggest doing the swim Friday. Bike sat. Run Sunday. 

still do the Ironman.  Ask them to mail you a medal.  They will be made. Sitting in a box. 

To be honest, if the medals and finisher shirts are as bad as last year's design, they can keep them.

There was a 4 way competition, handicapped based on average IM times over the years, between me, Stikman, Ratdog and Humdrum. She was coming over as it was to be on her birthday. We were still talking about doing an IM distance on the day, just with HD in SA. She may not be willing to consider it at the moment though. Might give her a week or so before I bring it up again. 

Edited by Katz
1 hour ago, Peter said:

If you are still going I’d suggest doing the swim Friday. Bike sat. Run Sunday. 

still do the Ironman.  Ask them to mail you a medal.  They will be made. Sitting in a box. 

Do they put the year on the medals? I suppose even if they do they can use them again next year.

Anthing is possible.

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do they put the year on the medals? I suppose even if they do they can use them again next year.

Anthing is possible.

The Sunshine Coast medals didn't have 2020 on them this year. I only have 3 of them now, but the 2018 and 2019 versions did.

17 minutes ago, BNothling said:

The Sunshine Coast medals didn't have 2020 on them this year. I only have 3 of them now, but the 2018 and 2019 versions did.

They probably had enough foresight to realise they could use them again if the race gets cancelled.