Active Network - 12 month older still no better

So I teach IT and one thing that is going to limit your marks at anything past year 8 (ie 13-year-olds) is an inability of your web site to work on popular browsers.

So once again I go to pay my TA fees (new credit cards so auto-renew failed) and the system STILL does not support Safari the country's second most popular browser?

No error message or warning, just fails to react to clicking on the link. (Yes I'm using my MacBook, I try to keep my private stuff off my work laptop.)

And don't even get me started on their add on fees. Com on TA find a better value / better service / fairer treatment payment gateway. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.36.16 pm.png

(Graph from Statcounter.com)

Edited by trifun
credit
44 minutes ago, trifun said:

So I teach IT and one thing that is going to limit your marks at anything past year 8 (ie 13-year-olds) is an inability of your web site to work on popular browsers.

So once again I go to pay my TA fees (new credit cards so auto-renew failed) and the system STILL does not support Safari the country's second most popular browser?

No error message or warning, just fails to react to clicking on the link. (Yes I'm using my MacBook, I try to keep my private stuff off my work laptop.)

And don't even get me started on their add on fees. Com on TA find a better value / better service / fairer treatment payment gateway. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 12.36.16 pm.png

(Graph from Statcounter.com)

I had no idea Chrome or Safari was so widely used.

I still prefer IE/Edge

23 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I still prefer IE/Edge

We still have a lot of work programs that can only work on IE. I find it hard to believe that IE has dropped that low.

Then there is the issue of payments failing for no apparent reason. TA (active) say old card/insufficient funds/bank refused as reasons. None of those applied to my failed payment. Just failed. Quite a few from our club had the same issue. 

I use Opera.

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I still prefer IE/Edge

Of course you know that the latest version of the Edge Browser is based on Chromium.  Basically Chrome with a MS wrapper.

5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We still have a lot of work programs that can only work on IE. I find it hard to believe that IE has dropped that low.

I can.  From memory, the default browser in Windows 10 is now the Edge Browser.  Just had a look and I don't even have MSIE11 on my Windows 10 box.  Not sure if that standard.  I'm not above removing stuff I don't need anymore to save disk space.  

I'm feeling old.  I can remember when MS first released Internet explorer back when Netscape Navigater was the browser of choice.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Oh Christ, our local club has just started using these clowns.

I registered for our first race today, and they seem to give you a 30 day trial membership of Active (unless you opt out - which I think I did, but the process is not clear?) and after the 30 days is up start charging you an annual membership fee.

I'm now emailing them to confirm I did opt out & therefore not to charge me, but their customer service don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Our Club indicated there would only be limited cash entries on the day (hence I registered online) but not again, I'll risk turning up on the day with cash and missing out rather than dealing with this dodgy mob.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
17 minutes ago, Crappy said:

awe cute @ComfortablyNumb, you expect a reply from active :P

ok, ok they're known to be absolutely hopeless with replies etc. But I find active the most confusing thing in the world. Why is it clubs etc are still signing up to use them? 

Actually, they have replied quite promptly, but just don't seem to understand what I'm telling them, despite explaining it very clearly.

This is the first time our club has gone online & I suspect they have NFI about the Active history.

Just now, ComfortablyNumb said:

Actually, they have replied quite promptly, but just don't seem to understand what I'm telling them, despite explaining it very clearly.

This is the first time our club has gone online & I suspect they have NFI about the Active history.

I'm surprised they answered so quickly! Maybe they've improved or by the sounds of things shipped it off as cheaply as possible to Asia hence them having no idea (and no i dont blame the person in asia, but typically they have very limited training by the companies they're working the phones for)

That sucks that they went to active! @MissJess runs hills club and can share some stories. 

6 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

You might not have an issue in Oz.  I've read loads of threads on ST complaining about this but they all come from the US or Canada. 

Loads of races use Active here (not just tri) and I've never had to opt out and never had a membership charge I've had to reverse. I've never read that anyone in the UK has either.

So maybe it's a geographical thing with different regulations on opt in?

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:35 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Our Club indicated there would only be limited cash entries on the day (hence I registered online) but not again, I'll risk turning up on the day with cash and missing out rather than dealing with this dodgy mob.

Ask any tradie....cash is King. But where i sit - we need to move to a cashless society. I am sick of paying high taxes.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Ask any tradie....cash is King. But where i sit - we need to move to a cashless society. I am sick of paying high taxes.

How would moving to a cashless society reduce your taxes?

And I laugh.  I laugh hard when I hear Aussies complaining about paying high taxes...  I nearly fell off my chair when I saw my first payslip here in Australia

20 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

How would moving to a cashless society reduce your taxes?

The theory is that having a cashless society will get rid of the hidden cash economy and force some organisations to reveal their true incomes and therefore pay more tax which in turn will enable a reduction in the overall tax burden through a reduction in the tax rate because more money is coming in.

Not to mention the reduction in the number of pensioners because the oldies won't be able to hide their wealth under the mattress and claim the pension

Personally I think its all BS.

Edited by -- AJ --
added more reasons why its BS
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

The theory is that having a cashless society will get rid of the hidden cash economy and force some organisations to reveal their true incomes and therefore pay more tax which in turn will enable a reduction in the overall tax burden through a reduction in the tax rate because more money is coming in.

Personally I think its all BS.

The cash economy is HUGE. I have heaps of tradie mates and they all do cash jobs. Get any tradie around for a quote and ask them how much for cash. The you have all the markets all cash etc...

2 minutes ago, more said:

The cash economy is HUGE. I have heaps of tradie mates and they all do cash jobs. Get any tradie around for a quote and ask them how much for cash. The you have all the markets all cash etc...

They say if you are going to break into a house do a tradie house.  
they have cash hidden everywhere. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, more said:

At times I've worked for a bottle of Rum.

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Peter said:

Hot bread shops, cafes, takeaways, hairdressers working from home etc. a lot of these only take cash or claim the eft system is on the blink (always) 

Its not just tradies. In fact a lot of tradies are deliberately moving away from cash as a better way to ensure they get paid by asking for an eft deposit before they start the works.

15 minutes ago, roxii said:

Hot bread shops, cafes, takeaways, hairdressers working from home etc. a lot of these only take cash or claim the eft system is on the blink (always) 

Its not just tradies. In fact a lot of tradies are deliberately moving away from cash as a better way to ensure they get paid by asking for an eft deposit before they start the works.

Yep, as I said the cash economy is huge. How is a EFT transfer any better/different than cash in hand though?

15 minutes ago, more said:

Yep, as I said the cash economy is huge. How is a EFT transfer any better/different than cash in hand though?

It means they definitely get paid. Only because (according to a few plumbers and sparkies I know) people offer to pay cash, then say they didnt know how much it was going to cost, say they will get to the bank and Ill get it to you, then never do.  

So they get a deposit by eft to at least cover the call out, or basic quote before they even start or turn up. 

Seems to be abit different here.  I've had a stack of tradies to pay over the last two years in this house. Most of them invoice after with EFT details or they carry the little 'calculator' type machines tethered to their phone.

I had one that said he'd take either/or  but the price was the same and he was stickler for paperwork (electrician), certifying his work for etc.  

7 hours ago, Peter said:

Nearly 30 years in the finance industry. Have lost count of how many times I have been sitting around the kitchen table and old mate will pull out shoe boxes full of cash.  Mostly used to buy toys - Harleys, Malibu's, Jetski's, Camper trailers etc

• Like 1
11 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Correct. I know a heap of tradies who have the best bikes, boats, impressive house and all declaring an income of around 30-40K per year. They tell me they and there accounts know the formaula in which to operate there beusiness ie: what does through the books and what doesn't etc. 

What shits me is that if I was to buy a $10K bike, I essentially have to earn around $18k to pay for it......they pay Cash. I also know a guy who did a reno about 10 years ago - cost about 400K.... most of it was cash....In the end the builder said...Mate....I can't take any more cash!!!