seeking suggestions with this

Am considering retiling a entire house except carpeted bedrooms.

Just sounds expensive without obtaining any quotes yet.

Not sure if I'm keen on having tiles laid on top of each other. Also considering vinyl flooring.

Wondering how difficult it is, and what would be involved in removing the existing tiles myself.

Not considering doing the tiling myself, just the removal.

Edited by Merv

If the tiles were originally installed well, then they'l be an absolute mongrel to pull up. If they were put down with lots of air gaps between the glue, they'll be much easier (but still probably a mongrel job). Once the tiles are up you need to get all the old glue up so the floor is level again before laying the new tiles, and that is likely to be a very dusty/messy job.

3 hours ago, -H- said:

Floating floorboards? 

Vinyl floorboards.  These are my study but we also laid them down in the Garage to turn it into a rumpus.  Glued straight to the concrete slab.  Looks just like a wood floor.  And considering the amount of office chair movement that happens in here, pretty hard wearing.

.20200614_171851.thumb.jpg.79e228745fd3a54f48f174c82f7f6ff8.jpgIMG_1148.thumb.JPG.c6b0b819e8938b11c38a659c8e57131b.JPG

Edited by -- AJ --
Added the garage photo
  • Like 1

Why are you thinking of retiling?  Time for a change?  I reckon pulling them up is a job for somebody else.  It looks like a pita.

They don't really suit the place after all the other work that's been done. I'm all for making a saving on labour costs if possible. Not a masochist though.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Vinyl floorboards... Glued straight to the concrete slab.  Looks just like a wood floor.  And considering the amount of office chair movement that happens in here, pretty hard wearing.

I'm with AJ. A vote for vinyl floorboards. Cheaper, softer, quieter and zero risk of water damage than real timber. Mine are 12 years down and with a polish would look like new again.

DSC04647.JPG

Just now, Merv said:

Just wondering how do they go being laid on top of tiles though ?

I suppose it would depend on what the grout lines are like ie are they deep or flush? 

16 minutes ago, iFoz said:

I'm with AJ. A vote for vinyl floorboards. Cheaper, softer, quieter and zero risk of water damage than real timber. Mine are 12 years down and with a polish would look like new again.

DSC04647.JPG

We did bamboo. Brilliant! But get the heavy duty thicker boards ....not the cheaper veneer. The heavy duty ones can be sanded again after 10 years. Though.... ours are 8 years old and no issues at all.

12 minutes ago, Merv said:

Just wondering how do they go being laid on top of tiles though ?

That I cannot say, perhaps a topping/leveling coat? (might have trouble adhering to the existing tiles.)

Mine original tiles were jack hammered out.

DSC04640.JPG

Edited by iFoz
1 minute ago, IronmanFoz said:

We did bamboo. Brilliant! But get the heavy duty thicker boards ....not the cheaper veneer. The heavy duty ones can be sanded again after 10 years. Though.... ours are 8 years old and no issues at all.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Good pickup IronmanFoz.

2 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Good pickup IronmanFoz.

And with our bamboo flooring it is actually floating. Sometimes they glue it down...for us they didn't. 

29 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

And with our bamboo flooring it is actually floating. Sometimes they glue it down...for us they didn't. 

Even the new vinyl ones don't get glued down, they are similar  to "click" style floating boards. 

2 hours ago, iFoz said:

That I cannot say, perhaps a topping/leveling coat? (might have trouble adhering to the existing tiles.)

Mine original tiles were jack hammered out.

DSC04640.JPG

Who actually decided on the removal then ? Was laying them on top discussed and quoted on ?

The best thing about the vinyl is that it is a dead easy DIY. Don't even need any spacial tools. 

A straight edge, a knife and maybe a chalk line to get started , buy some good knee pads and you are good to go. 

46 minutes ago, Merv said:

Who actually decided on the removal then ? Was laying them on top discussed and quoted on ?

The existing area was a mix of carpet and tiles. So the tiles had to be removed to get a level base.

• Thanks 1

I’m about half way through renovating and about to do the floors. Currently have tiles with about 10% of them drummy and requiring re glueing if I decide to keep them. 

what I recon......

If you’re going to remove your tiles you’ll need a Kanga and a blade. It will do the job easily but will create a hell of a mess.

BTW Tiles are out, wood look is in. If I’m taking up the tiles there’s no way I’d lay more tiles.
Vinyl is fantastic, 100% waterproof (great for mopping and if you have naughty pets) hard wearing, so easy to lay, no worries about expansion. Most new commercial buildings are using it now. But ...... the slab has to be perfect. Might need to be levelled and sanded back before you can lay the vinyl strips.

A floating floor looks great too and the base doesn’t need to be so perfect. You can use a foam membrane over the slab first to allow for small sections of residue of tile glue. Some floating floors will resist water damage for 24 - 36 hours but none are waterproof to my knowledge. My mother-in-law’s washing machine overflowed and ruined some of her floor once (insurance 👍). Floating floors are easily installed, my sister did a few rooms at her house. Not quite as easy to install as vinyl though. I wouldn’t lay anything over the top of existing floor tiles unless they were 100% solid and perfectly flat, plus that would also require lifting the skirting so I probably wouldn’t do it anyway.

If your skirting boards currently sit just over the edge of the tiles a floating floor might work well. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 1

@Mike Del, my mate up here just had a guy reglue his tiles down as some were loose, and had some cracked ones replaced.  But this guy doesn't pull them up, but drills a hole through the grout and injects the glue in.  Was much cheaper than replacing or pulling them up.  He's been happy with the result.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

@Mike Del, my mate up here just had a guy reglue his tiles down as some were loose, and had some cracked ones replaced.  But this guy doesn't pull them up, but drills a hole through the grout and injects the glue in.  Was much cheaper than replacing or pulling them up.  He's been happy with the result.

Yeh I bought a kit that does that and used it on some of the tiles. I wasn’t that happy with the results. Some of my tiles were a little too far gone and I could even lift them up by hand. It’s not hard to re glue them but getting all the old glue off the back of the tile and the slab is a pain, about 30 mins each tile. I’ve done about 50 in my spare time over the last 12 months and I’ve got about 50 to go. Think I’ll give up and just go with a more modern floating floor. 

DD3C500E-E6B0-419D-8DAB-4B6D6DBF2838.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del
3 hours ago, Mike Del said:

You don’t have any spares? 

No . I did try to find something similar once, wasn't successful. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike Del said:

You don’t have any spares? 

Is this close enough? (300mm) ? It’s the same one being broken up in my picture earlier in the thread. 
I have 13 of these gathering dust in the garage. If you’re around Brisbane, you’re welcome to collect them.

F192B1D0-482B-4129-832D-7E37E1C52ADD.jpeg

There are toppings available that will adhere to tiles with no problem 

you could then lay and glue down whatever you want on top

another option is to top and then polished so you have a polished concrete floor, but that’s not a diy proposition and the price can start to get up there

cheapest will be as Roxi suggested, diy floating vinyl floor

• Thanks 1

Have a look at imperial flooring

they do a range of different products that are reasonably priced but top quality and will deliver to your door

no affiliation other than I buy stuff from their local guy from time to time

On 16/06/2020 at 9:52 AM, iFoz said:

Is this close enough? (300mm) ? It’s the same one being broken up in my picture earlier in the thread. 
I have 13 of these gathering dust in the garage. If you’re around Brisbane, you’re welcome to collect them.

F192B1D0-482B-4129-832D-7E37E1C52ADD.jpeg

Thanks Foz, they’re just a little too different but thanks anyway. 

• Like 1

So the floating floor isnt used in areas of water eg toilets, bathroom, laundry ? Leave the tiles in these areas there. Kitchen?

28 minutes ago, Merv said:

So the floating floor isnt used in areas of water eg toilets, bathroom, laundry ? Leave the tiles in these areas there. Kitchen?

Bathrooms/Toilets - are tiled areas generally. 

Kitchens - wooden floors are fine. We have Bamboo floors in ours.

• Thanks 1

Pulling up tiles can be tough but doable if you have time and the tools.

its dirty, dusty and you’re left with lots of very heavy rubbish.

it also depends what you’re left with when the tiles come up and how much scraping you need to do to level it out.

i pulled up tiles in our laundry which was a freakin nightmare. House built on stumps in the 80s so back then they put wire mesh staples to the floor boards, then cement and the tiles.

pulling up that mesh was horrible and I was left with thousands of staples in the subfloor boards which were also warped.

i ended up cutting out the whole subfloor and replacing with particle board ( and putting in under floor insulation while at it). I haven’t done the new tiles yet but at least I have a smooth subfloor to start, which is critical.

In the main living area we put in a floating floor with laminate boards. They’re easy as to do yourself as they just click in and go over an insulating underlay. They look awesome and definitely dyi. Took us 1 day for 10m x 6m ( no tiles to pull up!). Quick Step brand from Flooring Xtra.

We’ll eventually do the rest of the house with these.

back to the tiles...maybe start by yourself and if there’s cement or mesh just get a dude in. They’ll have the jack hammers and tools needed.

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Merv said:

Just wondering,  when selecting a tile, would anyone choose one that might be discontinued on sale ?

If you do, make sure you get spares to keep if you need to replace some. I grabbed an extra 3 boxes when I did my house. I'm thinking of tiling the study now, but that's not enough, and even thought these weren't discontinued or run-out, I still can't get them any more. :(

Chances are if you're looking for more in ten years you won't find them even if they are normal stock.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...