Cancel culture

I think what we’re actually seeing here is the end of acting as a profession overall. Isnt acting just appropriating someone else anyway. Maybe now everybody in a movie needs to be played as themselves and by themselves

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's right. You don't.

You didn't mention that he decided to put his country first in standing up to the Irish rebels with the Black and Tans, The criticism came from the left when he stood up to the miners and sent in the

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, roxii said:

I think what we’re actually seeing here is the end of acting as a profession overall. Isnt acting just appropriating someone else anyway. Maybe now everybody in a movie needs to be played as themselves and by themselves

Makes it a bit hard to do a movie like 'Lincoln,' but that's the way it's going 

Looking at all the stories of Disney and how white voices are used for characters that are not white and how wrong that is.

I watched a kids film with Little One the other day called Planet 51 or something, where Dwayne Johnson does the voice of a white character and I thought, 'how is that allowed'?  Then I saw when the film was made, 2009.

Edited by FatPom
33 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Looking at all the stories of Disney and how white voices are used for characters that are not white and how wrong that is.

I watched a kids film with Little One the other day called Planet 51 or something, where Dwayne Johnson does the voice of a white character and I thought, 'how is that allowed'?  Then I saw when the film was made, 2009.

Even on Family Guy, Cleveland is voiced by a white man.  Same as Apu from the Simpsons.  Of course Bart and all the other 10 year old boys on the Simpsons are voiced by a woman.

I wonder if the Scots were upset when Mike Myers (a Canadian) voiced Shrek with a Scottish accent.

Most Australians were not overly impressed with Meryl Streep's attempt.

39 minutes ago, Rob said:

Even on Family Guy, Cleveland is voiced by a white man.  Same as Apu from the Simpsons.  Of course Bart and all the other 10 year old boys on the Simpsons are voiced by a woman.

I wonder if the Scots were upset when Mike Myers (a Canadian) voiced Shrek with a Scottish accent.

Most Australians were not overly impressed with Meryl Streep's attempt.

we were upset with mel gibson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

we were upset with mel gibson

I was sitting with a Scot watching Mel Gibson do his best angry Scot, William Wallace in Braveheart the other night. Was a tad embarrassing. Somehow they managed to tell the story without mentioning the Battle of Bannockburn 🤔

William Wallace was 6ft 7! His sword was 1.63m long. They should've cast a real Scot - Rory McCann would've made a great William Wallace.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1
On 11/09/2020 at 1:54 AM, The Customer said:

William Wallace was 6ft 7! His sword was 1.63m long. They should've cast a real Scot - Rory McCann would've made a great William Wallace.

On 11/09/2020 at 1:26 PM, BarryBevan said:

me im 6 feet 4 and of country

So all you needed was a kilt and some 3 inch heels?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 months later...
On 16/06/2020 at 6:45 PM, -- AJ -- said:

Won't happen.  Or rather it shouldn't happen as its named after the bloke who patented the process. 

Has happened

And apparently it didn't work...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/indigenous-people-should-have-been-consulted-on-new-coon-cheese-name-20210113-p56try.html

I can't, for the life of me, understand how they came up with the new name!

I certainly can't understand why they would need to run it past our first people's.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, goughy said:

I certainly can't understand why they would need to run it past our first people's.

Why not? we have to run everything else past them.   Amazing how 3.3% of our population can have such an impact on our everyday lives.

32 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Why not? we have to run everything else past them.   Amazing how 3.3% of our population can have such an impact on our everyday lives.

That's because 3.3% of the population (or their self-appointed representatives) demand 96.7% of the attention 

44 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Perhaps if we had run past sticking the Union Jack in the ground when they were 100 % of the population?

Interesting that they went from being 100 % to 3.3 % of the population, a little respect is perhaps warranted.

56 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Perhaps if we had run past sticking the Union Jack in the ground when they were 100 % of the population?

Interesting that they went from being 100 % to 3.3 % of the population, a little respect is perhaps warranted.

Since we can't wind the clock back to 1770, what do you suggest Barry?

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Maybe he wants a full referendum so that all minority groups can have a say on the renaming of the cheese.

26 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Maybe he wants a full referendum so that all minority groups can have a say on the renaming of the cheese.

Can't do that. There are too many whiteys so the results would be skewed 

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Can't do that. There are too many whiteys so the results would be skewed 

Its amusing You’ve found a new thread to pick fights and troll people. .  

Edited by Peter
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

"a little respect is perhaps warranted."

I stated what I wanted, respectful engagement. Ask how they feel, they might love it

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Its amusing You’ve found a new thread to pick fights and troll people. .  

😄😄I was just flicking through this thread and wondered how far it would go before it got locked?  Something so innocuous as the rebranding of cheese!

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, truck said:

😄😄I was just flicking through this thread and wondered how far it would go before it got locked?  Something so innocuous as the rebranding of cheese!

Yeah Jimbo can’t help but troll on this site. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yeah Jimbo can’t help but troll on this site. 

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/bloke-who-claims-everyone-is-too-soft-nowadays-hasnt-slept-for-3-nights-over-cheese-rebrand/?fbclid=IwAR2jfgwlbTl9jsvIk8nv4Oz7sq8ffWCOQsDwiNa-NUHdiaM6AHwxEgcyKMg

Well he's not the only patriotic Aussie losing sleep over it!!

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

"a little respect is perhaps warranted."

I stated what I wanted, respectful engagement. Ask how they feel, they might love it

I'm pretty sure indigenous Australians have had a few opportunities to tell us how they feel

How much more respect do you think we need to show, and how?

1 hour ago, truck said:

😄😄I was just flicking through this thread and wondered how far it would go before it got locked?  

Pete Pelosi is doing his best

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm pretty sure indigenous Australians have had a few opportunities to tell us how they feel

How much more respect do you think we need to show, and how?

22 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Appatently witchetty grub fondue is quite an experience... 

Probably a bit more than the rubbish you are currently showing .

• Like 2
On 14/01/2021 at 7:54 PM, goughy said:

I can't, for the life of me, understand how they came up with the new name!

They didn’t need to. Probably wood have been a good PR move if they did though. 
As for the guy being quoted, he is one man with an opinion, that doesn’t mean he represents everyone or do I assume Bob Katter  or Pauline Hansen represents all whites people? 
I wonder if you bank has been ripping you off for 20 years on your mortgage a d you found out, would you accept “oh well that’s in the past, it was a previous bank manager, just move on” 

• Like 1

Pete Pelosi is doing his best

@Admino Approaching conflict with maturity and true desire for resolution, rather than as a fight or opportunity to belittle a member of our community

Guessing its time To ban ironjimbo or can we all break the rules?

54 minutes ago, Peter said:

Guessing its time To ban ironjimbo or can we all break the rules?

Says the bloke whose last three posts in this thread have been about me...