Salomon trail shoes - anyone use them?

Im looking at Salomon speedcross trail shoes- they have a 10mm drop  which will help me while looking after a sore achillies. Anyone used these or any of the Salomon shoes , what did you think?

Thanks in advance 

I have Salomon Ultra Pro for off road stuff.

My only complaint has been the lace system is a bit naff.

On the version I have it's a fairly inflexible wire/string kinda deal that's hard to get right.

The pouch up the top of the tongue does me no favours in feeling secure at the top of the shoe.

I normally wear a cushion/stability shoe on road and haven't had any issues running trails in mine.

• Thanks 1

Hi Surfer,

These reviews may help. Loyd (run4adventure) usually mentions about shoes running to size.

Also Wild Ginger Running usually does reviews of the women specific gear. (I don't watch her much as I find her a bit, odd!)

• Thanks 2

I'm in a UK 11/US 11.5/Eur 46 in the Salomon

UK 10/US 11/EUR 45 in my Brooks Adrenaline

US 11/Eur 45 on my Asics

Asics and Brooks are 2e width.

No width marking on the Salomon.

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Hi Surfer,

These reviews may help. Loyd (run4adventure) usually mentions about shoes running to size.

Also Wild Ginger Running usually does reviews of the women specific gear. (I don't watch her much as I find her a bit, odd!)

The Salomon seems to be let down by the grip on wet rocky surfaces. Im now rethinking my options. Im finding it hard to find a trail shoe  with 10mm drop which I need at the moment. I guess I could get the Salomon & only run on dry surfaces 

Edited by Surfer
Sp

Surfer,  I think Inov8 have a good reputation for grip (IIRC correctly the Talon and Claw models) but apparently it comes at a cost in terms of feeling all the bumps below your feet.

I'm still a fan of the Speedgoat for all round trail running but I'm also convinced the huge sole has contributed to my tripping over a lot.  I'm also on the search for a new shoe.

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

Surfer,  I think Inov8 have a good reputation for grip (IIRC correctly the Talon and Claw models) but apparently it comes at a cost in terms of feeling all the bumps below your feet.

I'm still a fan of the Speedgoat for all round trail running but I'm also convinced the huge sole has contributed to my tripping over a lot.  I'm also on the search for a new shoe.

Thanks FP, the Inov8 tend to have a low drop, thats not going  to help me at the moment. The Mizuno Wave Daichi looks good, so do the La Sportiva range but when I search for reviews it seems your Speedgoats followed Salomom get the best score. Mind you, that could be google-bias creeping in!  

One of my friends gave up on the Hokka's even though they loved the comfort, they said theyre a  tripping hazzard,  went to the Saucony peregrine & hasnt had any problems 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Thanks FP, the Inov8 tend to have a low drop, thats not going  to help me at the moment. The Mizuno Wave Daichi looks good, so do the La Sportiva range but when I search for reviews it seems your Speedgoats followed Salomom get the best score. Mind you, that could be google-bias creeping in!  

One of my friends gave up on the Hokka's even though they loved the comfort, they said theyre a  tripping hazzard,  went to the Saucony peregrine & hasnt had any problems 

That's really interesting thanks.  I have one pair of SGs that have about 75% life left in them and a brand new pair in the box that I bought on sale. Once this current pair is done, I will start to introduce alternate brands I think.  I just trip to much.

The Peregrine get pretty good reviews IIRC.

• Like 1

I had a pair of the speedcross and didnt find they fitted my foot too well. So a personal thing. 

I found them narrow in the tow box and rather long and pointy - so i tripped a bit more. 

Laces were rubbish but easily changed.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Turts said:

I had a pair of the speedcross and didnt find they fitted my foot too well. So a personal thing. 

I found them narrow in the tow box and rather long and pointy - so i tripped a bit more. 

Laces were rubbish but easily changed.

Thanks Turts, a few reviews I read said the laces weren't much chop. What are you using at the moment?

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

Thanks Turts, a few reviews I read said the laces weren't much chop. What are you using at the moment?

For shorter stuff, I'm in the Hoka speedgoat, mk 2.  Its a bit wider than the first iteration which was stupidly narrow. 

For ultras when I know there will be walking and a long time on my feet, I like the HOKA Stinson ATR. 

Ive tried, for trails, Salamon, Hoka, Altra, and Adidas. Although the Hokas have less drop than the Salomon, I found the harder sole of the Speedcross more harmful for my achilles than the Hokas. 

The higher drop made my heel strike more uncomfortable, and i felt exacerbated it. 

I also felt the speedcross tread too chunky and less stable on anytbing but sand and mud. Lack of traction through reduced surface area on rocks and the like was unnerving. 

It would depend so much on your gait, speed, body weight and injuries. 

But thats my history for what it's worth.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1