Ironman Return to Racing

On 03/08/2020 at 10:11 PM, Peter said:

mind you commonsense says the cops won’t car if you ride longer out. Just don’t ride from the west to frankston and back.  
but if you live in frankston you could ride up to black rock and back and they won’t care. 

even more so running.  They won’t pull you up if you are running anywhere unless maybe you have a full drink system on your back. 

Probably what Karen from Brighton thought when she ventured to the Tan

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is: I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

It's not unwise at all. 7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport,

If Busso is commercially viable with a domestic field, why wouldn't it go ahead? They could even cut costs by not having a witches hat or a marshal at the run turnaround. Not like any of the loca

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Fresh said:

Wa border won’t open for 18 months. Same as NT have said. 

its just WA people don’t understand what that means yet because they can still go to the pub. 

32 minutes ago, roxii said:

Emo wont be happy, the Huski locals want everyone banned from Huski after a Covid infection there this week. 

Funnily enough, have you seen some of the EE ads on Facebook? There are people claiming to be locals (they might be) begging for Sydney people to stay away.

All power to them really, it appears as though the infections that have been found in regional NSW have come from those in the cities, like the Melbourne couple who went travelling around country NSW and also near Cronulla way, then from the cluster in SW Sydney which came from Melbourne went up to Newcastle and Port Stephens.

59 minutes ago, Peter said:

Wa border won’t open for 18 months. Same as NT have said. 

its just WA people don’t understand what that means yet because they can still go to the pub. 

Pity they don't do a travel bubble between states like QLD, SA, NT and Tasmania

34 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

WA said you can go to those places. You just serve 14 days in a hotel upon return.  

that road to busso and Margaret river must be busy of a weekend with nowhere else to go 

this all goes back to the premature opening up for school holidays to try and get a bounce in employment and the economy.

That is on the hands off all the politicians who thought it was a good idea.

Rather than say lets holiday at home

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

WA said you can go to those places. You just serve 14 days in a hotel upon return.  

that road to busso and Margaret river must be busy of a weekend with nowhere else to go 

If the "cost" of not being in lockdown like Melbourne is being "forced" to holiday in locations like Margaret River, Broome, Karijini, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, then I am not complaining.

I was registered for the UTA in May which was then deferred to October. Ironman have sent an email to interstate entrants with two options:

1. Free Deferral to 2021 Ultra-Trail Australia on 13 – 16 May 2021; or
  2. An Event Credit for the full value of your entry fee (and additional purchases), valid for three years, and able to be redeemed on any other IRONMAN Group events in Australia.

While  I would prefer a full refund, a credit to any IM event, valid for 3 years would be of use to me.

1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

I was registered for the UTA in May which was then deferred to October. Ironman have sent an email to interstate entrants with two options:

2. An Event Credit for the full value of your entry fee (and additional purchases), valid for three years, and able to be redeemed on any other IRONMAN Group events in Australia.

While  I would prefer a full refund, a credit to any IM event, valid for 3 years would be of use to me.

I deferred mine. 

Let's hope something similar for IMWA, as if the event does go ahead but we cant get there, id be shitty. 

Can withdraw tomorrow and get 50% refund. Am considering it. Sadly. to lose the money. 

3 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Is IM making the same offer to NSW residents (eg I live in a remote part of the state and am concerned about the COVID-19 risk associated with travelling to a metropolitan area with multiple confirmed and untraced cases)?

1 hour ago, trilobite said:

Is IM making the same offer to NSW residents (eg I live in a remote part of the state and am concerned about the COVID-19 risk associated with travelling to a metropolitan area with multiple confirmed and untraced cases)?

If it was available to you you'd know it. - They sent the email today, and I think it was just interstates. 

I'd say flick them an email and ask - part of their reasoning was the uncertainty and inability to train - but maybe that being Vic in Stage 3 and 4, but we are the only state under those restrictions. 

It should apply to everyone I reckon. 

5 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

McGowan has been saying two things for a while:

• WA border won't reopen until community transmission is under control in all other states.
  • He won't consider a travel bubble with other states as the WA govt has no control over how those states with NSW and Vic.

I possibly recall him saying he has some concerns with the porosity of the NSW/Qld border.

When a WA, NT, SA bubble was flagged late June, McGowan considered the benefit vs risk to WA unacceptable, since they make up such a small portion of the domestic tourism market. Approx 5% IIRC.

I can just imagine the promotions.

Tourism SA: "Visit the Barossa. We have wine!"   Tourism WA: "Visit Margaret River. We have wine!"

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Not quite.

WA residents require a travel exemption from the WA Government should they wish to leave and return to WA. Approved and pending applications involving travel to NSW/Vic were cancelled on July 20 when the situation in Victoria escalated. Everyone was required to reapply with stricter requirements.

Travel exemptions are only granted in specific circumstances:

https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-the-premier-and-cabinet/covid-19-coronavirus-travel-wa

Hotel quarantine costs over $2500 and must be paid by the traveler. There are numerous provisions for home quarantine, but there are lots of determining factors, eg. Separate room with ensuite, number of other people sharing the house, designated support person, must be a free-standing house, can't quarantine at home in unit block.

A travel exemption won't be granted for an interstate holiday or just visiting family. There has to genuine compassionate reasons.

2 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Can WA make an Im run with WA only numbers?

We've been asking that question for months. Some dude named Barry reckoned it would never happen. ;)

I can't remember if anyone came up with the numbers of WA entrants at Busso last year.

If IM was seriously considering running Busso in December, they really should be whipping up some jingoistic enthusiasm among potential entrants with a "Save our Ironman WA" campaign at the 70.3 in October.

So chances are WA border will still be shut from interstate - what does "community transmission under control" mean? 

edit - nevermind.  I'd already read it. COVID cancellation policy here:

image.png.1cebb0a6e8a6b8b81165d7d5bf0aa73c.png

Edited by Turts

If State border issues become a long running, thing, could we expect a Victorian IM to make a re-appearance?  Hmmmmmm.

They'd capture a lot of Victorians that don't want to risk transferring to an interstate race again

11 minutes ago, Turts said:

If State border issues become a long running, thing, could we expect a Victorian IM to make a re-appearance?  Hmmmmmm.

They'd capture a lot of Victorians that don't want to risk transferring to an interstate race again

But with the 1hr limit on exercise, it'd take 13 days to complete. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Can WA make an Im run with WA only numbers?

I’d guesstimate 600 - 800 max for both IM and 70.3 (on the same day). 

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

We've been asking that question for months. Some dude named Barry reckoned it would never happen. ;)

I can't remember if anyone came up with the numbers of WA entrants at Busso last year.

If IM was seriously considering running Busso in December, they really should be whipping up some jingoistic enthusiasm among potential entrants with a "Save our Ironman WA" campaign at the 70.3 in October.

I think the problem they are going to have is people won’t want to commit, when at this stage it looks highly unlikely the races will go ahead. If SC and Cairns go ahead that will happen garner interest, if they get pulled I can’t imagine IMWA going ahead. 

9 hours ago, zed said:

I think the problem they are going to have is people won’t want to commit, when at this stage it looks highly unlikely the races will go ahead. If SC and Cairns go ahead that will happen garner interest, if they get pulled I can’t imagine IMWA going ahead. 

Agree..... If I was to commit to the race I wanted to do I would have Ironamn credts coming out my backside and would find them hard to use as they would be piling up.

Hence....... I keep hanging off til the last minute in hope. Though we now know hope is a very slim commodity these days.

10 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But with the 1hr limit on exercise, it'd take 13 days to complete. :)

I might be in with a chance then! 

Only city-folk have the 1 hr limit.  Us regional folk face no such constraints!    And masks would help develop the lungs.......

The bigger issue with IMWA is that the organisers/operators are east coast based. So, even if it were normally possible with local entrants only, they would need to engage a local event organiser to do it. Same team who does the half on behalf of TWA I am sure would do it happily. But that would increase the cost and increase the numbers required.

As I hear on the grapevine, it's almost certainly not happening this year. Some kind of miracle would be required and I don't believe in miracles, so I'm going with definitely not. :crybaby:

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Turts said:

If it was available to you you'd know it. - They sent the email today, and I think it was just interstates. 

I'd say flick them an email and ask - part of their reasoning was the uncertainty and inability to train - but maybe that being Vic in Stage 3 and 4, but we are the only state under those restrictions. 

It should apply to everyone I reckon. 

I have a dim view of the prospects of an email in the circumstances I posed getting a favourable response.

Last time I emailed Geoff Meyer about a credit or refund (after no success with the customer service team) after munting my knee (anterior cruciate ligament ruptured, with medial and lateral minus us tears) a couple of months from race day, the best he offered was a transfer to a 70.3 ~3 months later.

I think he must have misread my email as a request to compete as a wheelchair athlete 🤔

I have a dim view of the prospects of an email in the circumstances I posed getting a favourable response.

Last time I emailed Geoff Meyer about a credit or refund (after no success with the customer service team) after munting my knee (anterior cruciate ligament ruptured, with medial and lateral minus us tears) a couple of months from race day, the best he offered was a transfer to a 70.3 ~3 months later.

I think he must have misread my email as a request to compete as a wheelchair athlete 🤔

I'm still positive about UTA still being mostly directed by Tom, rather than the IM corp, even though I owns it now. 

Dream big. Anthing is possible! 

Edited by Turts
9 minutes ago, Turts said:

I'm still positive about UTA still being mostly directed by Tom, rather than the IM corp, even though I owns it now. 

Dream big. Anthing is possible! 

I even quoted the “loyal customers” line he gave roxii in an interview on this site, to no avail 😢

• Sad 2

Kat

One thing I can assure you off,The Event team who subcontract to TWA for our event wont be getting involved with IM to run there events......Way too much bad blood there.

1 minute ago, Triatx said:

Kat

One thing I can assure you off,The Event team who subcontract to TWA for our event wont be getting involved with IM to run there events......Way too much bad blood there.

Well, there you go. Is there anyone else in WA who has the capacity the event team does? 

Probably none that would get involved with IM.

Actually there is one but IM probably wouldnt get involved with him!!!!!!!

Theres a lot of History in WA right from Day 1 in 2004.

• Like 2
On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 7:50 AM, Katz said:

The bigger issue with IMWA is that the organisers/operators are east coast based. So, even if it were normally possible with local entrants only, they would need to engage a local event organiser to do it. Same team who does the half on behalf of TWA I am sure would do it happily. But that would increase the cost and increase the numbers required.

As I hear on the grapevine, it's almost certainly not happening this year. Some kind of miracle would be required and I don't believe in miracles, so I'm going with definitely not. :crybaby:

So does this mean I have won our bet?

Just now, Bored@work said:

So does this mean I have won our bet?

I was waiting for it...... 

No, you can't win the bet until 7 December.

Sadly, I suspect you will though.

Got the word from IM Brasil this morning...

IMPORTANTE!

When we postponed the IRONMAN Brazil triathlon from its original date of May 31, 2020 to November 8, 2020, we felt confident we would still be able to deliver an exceptional event at the later date.

Unfortunately, in alignment with local authorities, including medical, health and safety leaders in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, we regret to advise that the IRONMAN Brazil triathlon cannot take place in 2020 and will now return on May 30, 2021. In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this may come as a disappointment.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Brazil triathlon will have their race registration deferred to the 2021 race date.

By the end of September, we will send a new email with a link through Active.com so that you can complete your registration for IRONMAN Brasil 2021, this new registration on the website is mandatory and will have no costs. Athletes registered in the 2020 edition will have priority to confirm their 2021 registration, before the general opening of new registrations (limited to 200 slots), to be informed soon.

• Sad 1
On 14/08/2020 at 9:43 AM, Katz said:

I was waiting for it...... 

No, you can't win the bet until 7 December.

Sadly, I suspect you will though.

I think if SC goes ahead then IMWA will, assuming they can get the numbers.

5 hours ago, zed said:

I think if SC goes ahead then IMWA will, assuming they can get the numbers.

I disagree. The hard border changes things.

24 minutes ago, Triatx said:

I agree with Kat

SC can go ahead because it has 800 Queenslanders

IMWA attracts  4 0r 500 West Aussies.....That doesn't stack up financially.

You can’t even have a circus or the show.  

cant have full cafes.  

you have zero cases for how long?  I find it bizarre there isn’t more noise from west aussies. Maybe when its xmas And they can’t go to Bali things might change. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Peter said:

you have zero cases for how long?  I find it bizarre there isn’t more noise from west aussies.

Haven't you been listening to Chris? :)

1 hour ago, Triatx said:

I agree with Kat

SC can go ahead because it has 800 Queenslanders

IMWA attracts  4 0r 500 West Aussies.....That doesn't stack up financially.

No COVID-19 to worry about in Qld... 🤔

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/residents-in-queensland-city-placed-on-alert-following-mystery-infection-c-1219899.amp

Just now, trilobite said:

Would presumably assist with tracing efforts if there was a better take up of the COVIDSAFE app...

I'd forgotten there was an app. Certainly not being promoted therefore one mights suggest even the authotities dont think it works.

39 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I'd forgotten there was an app. Certainly not being promoted therefore one mights suggest even the authotities dont think it works.

I think lots of people had their tin-foil hats on about what the Commonwealth might like to do with data on their movements...

I think lots of people had their tin-foil hats on about what the Commonwealth might like to do with data on their movements...

Not sure why people get so caught up in the tracking thing. I have a work app that we use to get access to out office building...it also tracks us within a short distance of the building so it knows which floor etc we are on etc etc... (hot desk office). Some people are really worried that they are tracked when they go to the loo. It's a bit laughable. Me: I couldn't give a rats if they track me. Got nothing to hide.

Disclaimer: I didn't download the CoVID app. Didn't feel I needed to as these days, I work from home and other than that, I train mostly solo except for a club ride. In short - I know where I have been and who I mix with. 

• Like 1