Ironman Return to Racing

So where is/ was Ironman up to with the potential sale etc. 

Where will Ironman be placed long term if race cancellations continue. Surely even trying to keep up the charade that all is well is draining on finances. 

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is: I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

It's not unwise at all. 7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport,

If Busso is commercially viable with a domestic field, why wouldn't it go ahead? They could even cut costs by not having a witches hat or a marshal at the run turnaround. Not like any of the loca

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Charlie77 said:

Well, 70.3 World champs in Taupo and Feb 2020 Kona has just been called off. 

Surely this will stop some people from entering Sunshine Coast now 

Edited by Prince
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Where will Ironman be placed long term if race cancellations continue. Surely even trying to keep up the charade that all is well is draining on finances. 

They settled on the sale yesterday.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Prince said:

Surely this will stop some people from entering Sunshine Coast now 

Whys that?

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I'd imagine there will be some races in 2021, but certainly not a full calendar and certainly not enough to keep IM afloat. I think they have some breathing space as they haven't been refunding people, but those $$ will soon run out. 

3 hours ago, Charlie77 said:

Well, 70.3 World champs in Taupo and Feb 2020 Kona has just been called off. 

And thats a notice of about 200 days.

Triathlon Taren really knows his shit. Not!

2 hours ago, roxii said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wanda-sports-group-completes-the-sale-of-the-ironman-group-to-advance-and-announces-board-of-directors-changes-301096048.html

23 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

And thats a notice of about 200 days.

Triathlon Taren really knows his shit. Not!

I think what he was saying was that if Ironman cancel outside the 45 days they have to give a refund, inside the 45 days and then they don't. Some states had already said there would be no races (triathlon, running, cycling etc) until September at the earliest yet Ironman would still not cancel the race until they hit the 45 day window. So races in August are still "going ahead"...

Not sure with the worlds why they have cancelled so early, but it would have been in Ironman's best interest. If it was preferable for them to cancel at the last minute they would have done. It would be interesting to know why they have cancelled it 7 months out. I'm guessing they would have to start pumping money into the events, marketing, advertising, getting sponsorship etc 

ZED ,Im confident of October going ahead because its TWAs event to run,on the basis we don't have any outbreaks in WA and the government changes the rules there is no reason for it not to happen.

In terms of December no idea as im not close to it.

I actually don't understand how IM can continue to survive with no recurring income for a long period.

It was saddled with significant debt under the previous owners {wanda group}but I have no idea what Advance Group the new owners have done with that as part of the sale terms.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Triatx said:

ZED ,Im confident of October going ahead because its TWAs event to run,on the basis we don't have any outbreaks in WA and the government changes the rules there is no reason for it not to happen.

In terms of December no idea as im not close to it.

I actually don't understand how IM can continue to survive with no recurring income for a long period.

It was saddled with significant debt under the previous owners {wanda group}but I have no idea what Advance Group the new owners have done with that as part of the sale terms.

Sweet. Better start training then! 

Had a look at the average temp for Busso in October... bit chilly!

16 minutes ago, zed said:

Sweet. Better start training then! 

Had a look at the average temp for Busso in October... bit chilly!

Same as May. Almost identical.

We looked at this when it was first postponed as some club members complained. 

11 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

The suspense is killing me can they just hurry up and cancel  Sunshine coast and Cairns please.🤣

Yeah I feel the same way.  I haven’t entered sunny coast yet but booked accomodation but still haven’t even jumped in the pool since March.  So I don’t mind if the decision to race is taken out of my hands.  

23 minutes ago, Chuckie M said:

The suspense is killing me can they just hurry up and cancel  Sunshine coast and Cairns please.🤣

I'm still quietly confident that SC will go ahead in some way, shape or form, but realistically I know that it's hanging by a thread.

I'm continuing to plug along, but it's getting harder and harder to dig deep for the next interval on a cold morning when I know in the back of my head that it's probably all for "nothing" and I'm essentially just building a bigger base for the next race.

1 hour ago, Katz said:

Same as May. Almost identical.

We looked at this when it was first postponed as some club members complained. 

Complained about October?

We might get lucky with the weather then. I've done Busso in May 6 times, twice it was stormy, 4 times pretty much perfect although one of those times it was 4C... it soon warmed up though.

34 minutes ago, Prince said:

Yeah I feel the same way.  I haven’t entered sunny coast yet but booked accomodation but still haven’t even jumped in the pool since March.  So I don’t mind if the decision to race is taken out of my hands.  

I think it might go ahead too. I guess numbers will be pretty low though.

My personal approach is to just keep the training ticking over - if there’s a race, great. If not, then the worst outcome is that fitness has been maintained. Good for the mind too.

I have an entry to Busso 2020 (deferred from Port), so it gives me something to aim for. I’ve also kept the accommodation for Sunny Coast so that we go up for a getaway even if no race on. Easier for me being in Brisbane. But if races don’t happen then it’s not the end of the world. I had 2 failed attempts at getting to an IM start line last year through injury and illness, I’m sort of used to cancellations now. The training has become part of everyday life.

11 minutes ago, wombattri said:

My personal approach is to just keep the training ticking over - if there’s a race, great. If not, then the worst outcome is that fitness has been maintained. Good for the mind too.

I have an entry to Busso 2020 (deferred from Port), so it gives me something to aim for. I’ve also kept the accommodation for Sunny Coast so that we go up for a getaway even if no race on. Easier for me being in Brisbane. But if races don’t happen then it’s not the end of the world. I had 2 failed attempts at getting to an IM start line last year through injury and illness, I’m sort of used to cancellations now. The training has become part of everyday life.

Agreed. I know in my head that I'm building great fitness which will come to fruition one day, but it's still a voice in the back of my head that starts to question whether it's worth it or not. I'm 9 weeks in and winning the battle, but I'd love confirmation either way - as difficult as that would be.

I'm the same. I've got my accommodation as a rolling booking and Brisbane isn't too far away. Started pencilling some sort of bike course so that I could look at doing a mini tri myself on race morning just to see how the prep really went.

23 minutes ago, wombattri said:

What's your definition of ticking over? I'm doing around 7 - 9 hours at the moment which is fine. There are some who are doing much more. Not sure that's wise with the likelihood there won't be big races in Australia till May next year. 

32 minutes ago, zed said:

What's your definition of ticking over? I'm doing around 7 - 9 hours at the moment which is fine. There are some who are doing much more. Not sure that's wise with the likelihood there won't be big races in Australia till May next year. 

I just do whatever the coach tells me to do, but generally aim for 200-250km riding and can be 40-70km running. Swim whenever I can can, usually get 1 or 2 done per week. I'd say roughly 12-15 hours/week on average.

1 hour ago, zed said:

It's not unwise at all.

7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport, is a year on year thing, it builds over time.

If doing 12-14h or so with consistency is something that fits easily into someone's life, they can recover well from it, maintain good health, make progress and add more greatly to their base than a 7-9h a week athlete then they should go for it.

There is no doubt they will be better positioned come next May in most instances than someone doing 7-9h a week....I call that burning daylight.

I'm 51 years old and tick over at 15-16h a week.

If I'm doing 7-9h a week for the longest period leading up to even January or February next year, I should look forward to getting my arse handed to me on a plate come May, as far as I'm concerned, by those that did more work.

Because I know the work I'd be doing from March-May leading into the races is going to be a lot more successful coming off a better background.

Edited by MJK
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
8 hours ago, roxii said:

I think they could have weathered the storm on no income. It's the ongoing servicing of the debt they carry with no income, that's the killer.

How they can allow themselves to be bought by the same moron that stripped them out and saddled them with debt in the first place, really beggars belief.

On 20/07/2020 at 8:29 AM, MJK said:

681211209_ScreenShot2020-07-20at5_27_36pm.thumb.png.443616db7a5838580bc562eee560407b.pngThis is from 2019.

This might tell a slightly rosier picture. For example, I always race as an Aussie and I live in the UK.  There could be local expat numbers in there.

1 hour ago, MJK said:

It's not unwise at all.

7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport, is a year on year thing, it builds over time.

If doing 12-14h or so with consistency is something that fits easily into someone's life, they can recover well from it, maintain good health, make progress and add more greatly to their base than a 7-9h a week athlete then they should go for it.

There is no doubt they will be better positioned come next May in most instances than someone doing 7-9h a week....I call that burning daylight.

If I'm doing 7-9h a week for the longest period leading up to even January or February next year, I should look forward to getting my arse handed to me on a plate come May, as far as I'm concerned, by those that did more work.

Because I know the work I'd be doing from March-May leading into the races is going to be a lot more successful coming off a better background.

I think it has more to do with someone's mental capacity to handle the training.

If I was to take myself as an example:
- around 5 to 7 hours per week feels like I am NOT training
- around 8 to 10 hours is light training that I can maintain for long periods
- once I'm regularly hitting over 10 hours per week, I consider myself in serious training
- anything over 15 hours is a big week (only do a few of these a year)
- less than 5 hours a week usually means I'm injured

I know some who would add 5 hours to each of the above categories and others who would subtract 5 hours.

Over the last 7 years, I have done 5 Worlds. This means I have trained through 5 of the last 7 Melbourne Winters.  This year I knocked back my slot for NZ 70.3 because I knew I needed a break (careful what you wish for).

Once the Pandemic hit, I knew swimming was out and guessed riding on the road might become an issue (and I don't really like riding on the trainer).  So I decided to have a pure run focus over Winter - am I'm loving it.  Also loving the fact that I am WFH, staying up late and sleeping in every morning (no early swims or rides).

At this point I'm happy to skip the 2020/21 season.  Maybe target a Trail Ultra Marathon with the run mileage I've been building up. And then come back in 2021/22 mentally refreshed and with a hopefully improved long distance run (my biggest weakness).

PS. I'm also 51

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MJK said:

It's not unwise at all.

There are only 2 people in this sport who I listen too. Both practice what they preach/walk the talk and there results speak for theselves.

MJK above is one of them. The other is AP. Everyone should listen to any facebook videos MJK posts. Short and sweet - no bullshit. 

Both have been kind to offer advice. They both sit on my shoulder these days when I train. Knowledge is king!  

Disclaimer: I am coached by neither, but i do take there advice and listen/read/watch what they talk about. My coaching fees go towards school fees :( . Life works in mysterious ways :)

PS: I live in hope that MJK one day writes a book. Pretty much done it all and no doubt lots of stories to tell.

• Like 1

I'm finding it a little difficult to fully commit at the moment. I rolled my Port entry to Cairns. I'm hoping it goes ahead. Around six weeks ago I listened to Andrew Messick interviewed on Fitter radio. During the interview he twice mentioned that he was looking forward to SC 70.3 and IM Cairns. He also signalled Taupo taking the 2022 70.3 Worlds as an option. There was no mention of Port. I came home from my run and told my partner that I might be connecting dots that aren't there, but I think IM is going to rationalise the racing in September, assuming all keeps trending well with Covid-19, and Port isn't going to happen. Now a lot has happened in terms of Covid-19 in that time, but maybe the dots were there. I think they are going to try everything than can to hold a race. From a business perspective, not holding a race because of the single year loss would be very short sighted (if you have access to funds). The endurance (hobby) sports market seems pretty competitive. They will know that if they go 12mths without a race but other non-triathlon events get going, they will lose relevance. Swallowing the loss to produce content and keep completion of an Ironman as an aspirational goal seems like a smart play. But others have said in earlier posts, ultimately they need a community that is willing to accept the risk of an influx of out-of-towners. 

Fingers crossed it is safe enough for us to start the race on the 27th. 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

There are only 2 people in this sport who I listen too. Both practice what they preach/walk the talk and there results speak for theselves.

MJK above is one of them. The other is AP. Everyone should listen to any facebook videos MJK posts. Short and sweet - no bullshit. 

Both have been kind to offer advice. They both sit on my shoulder these days when I train. Knowledge is king!  

Disclaimer: I am coached by neither, but i do take there advice and listen/read/watch what they talk about. My coaching fees go towards school fees :( . Life works in mysterious ways :)

PS: I live in hope that MJK one day writes a book. Pretty much done it all and no doubt lots of stories to tell.

I agree re the MJK Facebook posts and what he contributes to the forum. He posts informative information in a positive manner. 

• Like 2

How many consider the training they do as "training", and how many consider it "lifestyle"?  I do about 11 to 13 hours of activity a week; wouldn't consider myself race ready, but participant ready which is only a bit below me at my best anyway.  Everything I do is lifestyle.  If I was to enter a race I would maybe have to add 1 to 2 hours to that, and maybe change 1 hour of the other lot.  But really, very little would change.

Edited by goughy
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, wombattri said:

I just do whatever the coach tells me to do, but generally aim for 200-250km riding and can be 40-70km running. Swim whenever I can can, usually get 1 or 2 done per week. I'd say roughly 12-15 hours/week on average.

Your ticking over would be my peak IM week... 😂

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Was there a reason why we shouldn't watch both AP and MJK FB content?

38 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

I'm not sure whether AP has a different FB feed for his athletes, but his regular FB doesn't have any triathlon hints and tips at all.

40 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'm not sure whether AP has a different FB feed for his athletes, but his regular FB doesn't have any triathlon hints and tips at all.

It has blocked content around false information, pertaining to BLM.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yes Ex, we have a private FB group (dominated by politically incorrect humour and the occasional training, guideline, inspirational posts :) ) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, Rob said:

I think it has more to do with someone's mental capacity to handle the training.

If I was to take myself as an example:
- around 5 to 7 hours per week feels like I am NOT training
- around 8 to 10 hours is light training that I can maintain for long periods
- once I'm regularly hitting over 10 hours per week, I consider myself in serious training
- anything over 15 hours is a big week (only do a few of these a year)
- less than 5 hours a week usually means I'm injured

I'm uber-concious of burn out, which seems to be very high in this sport. I guess one day you just wake up and don't want to do it anymore, it's that black and white and often can't be anticipated. It can be a gradual thing, it can be instant. And often there's no way back. Once you're done, you're done. It doesn't matter how long a break you take. In some ways the easy option is to train hard, tougher to force yourself to ease off. 8 - 12 hours doesn't impact on my life, 15 hours+ my week will revolve around training, social life is curtailed and with no races, I would burn out. I guess others are different, but I don't think anyone is immune from burnout. Lucy Charles alluded to this in a video, saying her training load was reduced somewhat because of the fear of burning out with no races on the horizon. Old Colonel Sanders is training like Kona is next month.

• Like 1

Anyone thinking of booking flights for Cairns. I have a Qantas flight credit for $440. It expires in Dec 20 so I think it is unlikely I will use it. If you are planning on booking flights let me know and I will split the credit with you. That is pay $220 and get $440 (actually $443.01). I have to book the flights in my account but they will be in your name etc and once booked you will have control to view / change etc like a normal booking. I am pretty sure if you then cancelled them you would get a credit but still with the Dec 20 expiry and not the longer expiry currently being offered. PM if interested. Mods can be moved to tri trade if not appropriate here.

1 hour ago, zed said:

I'm uber-concious of burn out, which seems to be very high in this sport. I guess one day you just wake up and don't want to do it anymore, it's that black and white and often can't be anticipated. It can be a gradual thing, it can be instant. And often there's no way back. Once you're done, you're done. It doesn't matter how long a break you take. In some ways the easy option is to train hard, tougher to force yourself to ease off. 8 - 12 hours doesn't impact on my life, 15 hours+ my week will revolve around training, social life is curtailed and with no races, I would burn out. I guess others are different, but I don't think anyone is immune from burnout. Lucy Charles alluded to this in a video, saying her training load was reduced somewhat because of the fear of burning out with no races on the horizon. Old Colonel Sanders is training like Kona is next month.

I think it is an individual thing.

Just looking at retired elite level athletes from all sports:
- some retire and leave the sport completely;
- others remain in their sport in roles such as coaching, commentating, etc;
- whereas some continue competing after retirement (eg. Michellie Jones, Steve Monaghetti).

For me, without any 'definite' upcoming events, my motivation for any level of serious training would not last very long (guaranteed burnout).  But I know several other athletes who have no problems maintaining a high training load - in fact some of them would mentally struggle without it.

2 hours ago, zed said:

Yep this is exactly why I would fire up at BS comments from twats like "you don't want it enough" "Anyone can qualify for Kona if they want it" then belittle people because they like their warm comfy beds and not doing hill repeats in the rain.

The burnout rate at IM is huge. The number of long term compitiors (10+years and multiple IM) is low in this this sport.

I also found the motivation of racing a new & exciting location would help out with get me going.

The thought of doing the same race year in year would kill me.

24 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Yep this is exactly why I would fire up at BS comments from twats like "you don't want it enough" "Anyone can qualify for Kona if they want it" then belittle people because they like their warm comfy beds and not doing hill repeats in the rain.

I can see both sides of this argument.

I'd love to be able to play musical instruments and speak multiple languages. And while I have put efforts into both, I know the only reason I didn't succeed is because my efforts were simply not enough.

I don't say "I tried that, but I couldn't do it", I say "I wasn't prepared to put in the required effort".  And the truth is, if I wanted it enough, I would have put in a lot more effort and succeeded.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rob said:

I think it is an individual thing.

Just looking at retired elite level athletes from all sports:
- some retire and leave the sport completely;
- others remain in their sport in roles such as coaching, commentating, etc;
- whereas some continue competing after retirement (eg. Michellie Jones, Steve Monaghetti).

For me, without any 'definite' upcoming events, my motivation for any level of serious training would not last very long (guaranteed burnout).  But I know several other athletes who have no problems maintaining a high training load - in fact some of them would mentally struggle without it.

1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

The burnout rate at IM is huge. The number of long term compitiors (10+years and multiple IM) is low in this this sport.

I also found the motivation of racing a new & exciting location would help out with get me going.

The thought of doing the same race year in year would kill me.

I'm not disbelieving of people that train hard week in week out and say they are coping. But it does beg the question, are they using triathlon/training as an escape? What happens if they can't train and/or can't race? What happens if they get injured? Lionel Sanders (who I admire and respect) trains his arse off. But when he got injured and couldn't train, his world came crashing down and he ended up on the couch for 3 weeks, too depressed to move. Now he's as happy as a pig in sh!t because he's back training, having never really addressed the elephant in the room. And that elephant needs to be addressed. 

So many elite athletes retire and end up with all sorts of mental health issues. For longevity in this sport (or any sport) you need to have a healthy relationship with it and with training. If someone is training 15 - 20 hours a week 12 months a year is that healthy? I don't know. Would they cope if they couldn't train at all? Which is why I said, sometimes training your arse off is the easy option, not training, or cutting back is more difficult because you may have to face your demons. 

Edited by zed
21 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'd love to be able to play musical instruments and speak multiple languages. And while I have put efforts into both, I know the only reason I didn't succeed is because my efforts were simply not enough.

Have you got a guitar gathering dust too??

15 minutes ago, zed said:

Have you got a guitar gathering dust too??

Both guitar and keyboards.  My wife also has a harp.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

For me, without any 'definite' upcoming events, my motivation for any level of serious training would not last very long (guaranteed burnout). 

My only event is IMOZ 2021, my training now is to mostly make sure I can still fit in my proper clothes when I go back to the office, don't drown when I need to swim again and that my body remembers this running thing. 🤣

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MissJess said:

My only event is IMOZ 2021, my training now is to mostly make sure I can still fit in my proper clothes when I go back to the office, don't drown when I need to swim again and that my body remembers this running thing. 🤣

I haven't swam a stroke since mid February.  Not looking forward to returning to the pool.  But at least most athletes in Melbourne are in the same position.  The slow lane will be overcrowded the first week back

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Rob said:

I don't say "I tried that, but I couldn't do it", I say "I wasn't prepared to put in the required effort".  And the truth is, if I wanted it enough, I would have put in a lot more effort and succeeded.

I guess the difference in this example is the measure of success. Just learning to play a musical instrument might be more akin to the success of training for and finishing an IM. Qualifying for Kona requires training to a standard far beyond just being able to complete the distance and requies having to beat other people, who's performance you can't control, so might be more like practicing and auditioning for something with limited spots like an orchestra etc.

11 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

No.

I don't see any FB feeds etc from AP. But I did read his book and I recommend it - lots of life experiences in there and a few people might learn a thing or two if they adopted the right approach/attitude. 

MJK often post FB feeds - always insightful and easy to listen too. Never have i listened to something and thought rubbish. We al process information in different ways. I look at the positive!

6 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Clearly targeting AP - I have only seen positive re-inforcement from AP. Though people often choose to be offend by tongue in cheek type comments - thats what forums are for. Some people also don't put in the effort yet want the reward/glory. They know who they are. I read AP's book it resonated with me and I changed a few things - and reaped the rewards.

And agree - people do burn out but there are hundreds of reason why. I have been doing this since 1989 and i have seen a lot of people come and go. Yep...its a tough gig, but a good gig.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

No.

I don't see any FB feeds etc from AP. But I did read his book and I recommend it - lots of life experiences in there and a few people might learn a thing or two if they adopted the right approach/attitude. 

MJK often post FB feeds - always insightful and easy to listen too. Never have i listened to something and thought rubbish. We al process information in different ways. I look at the positive!

Clearly targeting AP - I have only seen positive re-inforcement from AP. Though people often choose to be offend by tongue in cheek type comments - thats what forums are for. Some people also don't put in the effort yet want the reward/glory. They know who they are. I read AP's book it resonated with me and I changed a few things - and reaped the rewards.

And agree - people do burn out but there are hundreds of reason why. I have been doing this since 1989 and i have seen a lot of people come and go. Yep...its a tough gig, but a good gig.

I have never questioned his ability or his dedication to the sport. 
I have called him out on his arrogant condescending tone and how he be littles others. 

For AP, you could do a search on threads started by him, and also have a read of his 10 questions in the Kamal 10 questions forum.  For a start.

• Like 1