Ironman Return to Racing

22 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Florida, Texas, Arizona, California, etc aren't exactly helping that theory. Also India coming off their summer monsoon season, and summer in Iran.

Florida is on the edge of disaster. Hope it works out okay but data looks bad

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is: I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

It's not unwise at all. 7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport,

If Busso is commercially viable with a domestic field, why wouldn't it go ahead? They could even cut costs by not having a witches hat or a marshal at the run turnaround. Not like any of the loca

Posted Images

Regarding Park run etc, don't events have to have a covid 19 plan in place?  A volunteer run organisation and each individual event has to have this in place, could be a pita for a heap of volunteers to do?

13 hours ago, goughy said:

Regarding Park run etc, don't events have to have a covid 19 plan in place?  A volunteer run organisation and each individual event has to have this in place, could be a pita for a heap of volunteers to do?

This. Very much this. I have just been on the phone with the guys that run Tri Pink, they are having a hell of a time navigating the new world (especially in NSW) and they get paid, my club races run on volunteers and we are trying to work it out as well.

17 hours ago, BNothling said:

I recall reading something somewhere that ParkRun don't want to fire up again until all events Australia wide can restart.

Yep, in their weekly newsletter they have consistently stated that until all park runs in a country can start then none will happen.  I miss park run so much and wish it could start up here but at least they are portraying a strong consistent message...Ironman, not so much. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, goughy said:

I haven't looked at what would be required, but I'd imagine 90% would be a copy-and-paste from one Parkrun event to another. Certainly so within each state.

As I mentioned, Masters Athletics WA has returned to racing, presumably having completed the covid-19 plan. It would be relatively simple for Parkrun to contact MAWA for a copy of their plan, amend it to a general Parkrun plan for WA, and circulate that to each Parkrun in the state for any final additions specific to each event.

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

This. Very much this. I have just been on the phone with the guys that run Tri Pink, they are having a hell of a time navigating the new world (especially in NSW) and they get paid, my club races run on volunteers and we are trying to work it out as well.

Tri Pink would be much more complex than Parkrun.

Race rego, race pack pick up, transitions, a lot more marshals, portaloos, aid stations, medical, more complex timing systems, participants arriving well before and hanging around for a while after......

Parkrun is a simple bare bones event. And even if a covid plan somehow necessitated Parkrun was even further stripped back, everyone would still leave knowing they got their money's worth.

Which is exactly why the Parkrun national edict lacks merit.

A similar scenario to Newfarm Parkrun isn't a problem in Perth with no limitations on group sizes for outdoor events. We have MAWA running events on the riverfront pathway on Sundays, close to where Parkrun is not yet being held on Saturdays.

I'm not complaining though, our racing calendar is almost fully restored here. We lost the City to Surf Marathon and supporting events scheduled for August. That was understandable as it's a large event and the organisers needed certainty to progress with planning when they announced the cancellation back in May or June.

AFAIK, all other events are back on, presuming the local situation doesn't deteriorate.

I am less confident that Sunshine Coast 70.3 and cairns Ironman/70.3 will go ahead.  Based on what our Premier has said about social distancing at pubs and clubs at the moment.  

57 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Parkrun is a simple bare bones event. And even if a covid plan somehow necessitated Parkrun was even further stripped back, everyone would still leave knowing they got their money's worth.

In COVID terms - not really.

• Briefings are held on site, and being a free event probably do not have the cash/time to splash on weekly video briefings.
  • Everyone starts at the same time, to keep the timing simple.
  • There is no registration required for contact tracing, nor to cap the field.
  • The paths where these are held are about 2m wide at the most, and still open to the general public.
  • It's a social gathering more than anything else, the concept of turn up race and leave may not work well.
  • The timing system relies on everyone touching tags and lines while you want to be scanned.
  • The planning team are not paid to think about this stuff.
  • It's free, the economic need to stand it up just to shut it down again would be a pain in the ass.

As Paul said almost back to normal in WA.

Im heading to Bunbury this weekend for the first of their Duathlon series.

There is no reason Park Run couldn't be happening in WA as the requirements to comply would take very little time.

Jess, the point I'm making is there's nothing to prevent Parkrun resuming in WA.

All that you have listed either isn't applicable, isn't an insurmountable problem or not totally accurate. All has been easily overcome by a volunteer organisation running similar events for similar numbers of runners on similar courses here in WA.

It's even being organised by a comparatively elderly, covid-vulnerable, relatively risk-adverse, loose conglomerate of volunteers.

15 minutes ago, Youngy2 said:

Fingers crossed the 2 QLD races go ahead.

QLD will have a lot to lose if COVID comes back badly - with the AFL and Netball moving here for the rest of 2020.

A lot of the Victorian Supercars teams have relocated to Queensland too.

4 hours ago, BNothling said:

A lot of the Victorian Supercars teams have relocated to Queensland too.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare 

I can just picture a big convoy of transporters lining up outside Dick's place at Daisy Hill waiting to use a hoist

I nearly booked accommodation for Cairns last Thursday night. I live in hope but am also realistically cautious.

PS: It came with a great price and free cancellation and right next to the transition (T2). 

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

I nearly booked accommodation for Cairns last Thursday night. I live in hope but am also realistically cautious.

PS: It came with a great price and free cancellation and right next to the transition (T2). 

i think that is wise.   They have to ensure their 'covid plan" is approved and so far, i haven't seen either Sunshine Coast or Cairns stating that it has been, but more referring to the Ironman guidelines for safe racing. 

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

At this stage the issue is will there be enough local competitors to make the race viable? What percentage of the race is overseas, interstate competitors? 

9 minutes ago, zed said:

At this stage the issue is will there be enough local competitors to make the race viable? What percentage of the race is overseas, interstate competitors? 

681211209_ScreenShot2020-07-20at5_27_36pm.thumb.png.443616db7a5838580bc562eee560407b.pngThis is from 2019.

Edited by MJK
17 hours ago, MJK said:

681211209_ScreenShot2020-07-20at5_27_36pm.thumb.png.443616db7a5838580bc562eee560407b.pngThis is from 2019.

And out of 770, how many from QLD and how many from states that won't be able to fly to QLD? WA, VIC, NSW all look to be states that won't be be able to get there. Can the race go ahead with 300/400 competitors? Sunshine Coast might fare a bit better being closer to Brissie?

17 hours ago, MJK said:

Comparable stats for IMWA 2019.

782 Aussies in a slightly larger field of 1398 (56%). Though I suspect Busso attracts fewer interstate athletes than Cairns (or Port). I'd like to see the respective breakdown on state numbers.

I wonder if Ironman have a cutoff for minimum race numbers? Can they run the race at a loss, just to get races up and going again?

Edited by zed
1 hour ago, Bored@work said:

Still tipping IMNZ will be the first race back 

You might be right. I think Busso in October will go ahead, but not sure about IMWA/70.3 in December. If it does go ahead in December, numbers will be low. 

3 hours ago, zed said:

I wonder if Ironman have a cutoff for minimum race numbers? Can they run the race at a loss, just to get races up and going again?

Less numbers means less congestion.

So they could change the course to have more laps, assuming this would reduce costs.

On 20/07/2020 at 8:02 AM, IronmanFoz said:

Promo's for Cairns still keep being pushed for a kick off on September 27th.

Tell them their dreaming. Have they recruited Trump for their promos ?

With Melbourne in lockdown until at least 19 August based on the current schedule, I can't see anyone from Melbourne competing. 

I doubt the Queensland government will let any Victorians into the state by September. A lot can happen with other states before then as well.

After having my first set of flights cancelled, it's not worth risking another flight cancellation.There are just too many uncertainties to plan a trip up north at the moment and by the time we might have certainty it will be too late to organise.

By then it will also be over 5 months since lots of Victorian's have had access to a pool and I don't think they will be opening up again on the first day after lockdown.  I'm not keen on doing an ironman with my first swim in 6 months being a day or two before the race.

I suspect Cairns will not happen until June 2021, at least not for any Victorians.

18 minutes ago, POT said:

I suspect Cairns will not happen until June 2021, at least not for any Victorians.

WA won't be going anywhere either. There's a small chance there may be some travel corridors that open up between states, countries that are doing well, but even that is risky. I'd imagine Cairns will be only Queenslanders. 

7 hours ago, zed said:

Would they run Ironman at a loss ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

We have had our first race here in WA last sunday a duathlon in Bunbury.

A rolling start with people off every 5 seconds

Only 4 bikes per rack

I did it and it worked very well

Next one is 9th August same place followed by 16 th August which will be bigger as its in the metro area

For what its worth Triathlon Tarens take on Ironman is that they wont tell you a race isnt happening until 45 days before the event as from then on there refund policy says they dont have to offer anything.

He claims there are lots of events where councils or counties have already said no permit for the event for this year but IM sit on that info until the 45 day window then announce they cant run the event.

They cancelled, I'm sorry, postponed the Santa Cruz 70.3 60 days out, and so far they haven't offered refunds. That said, it does look like they sat on the decision. Two other tris were scheduled for the same time period (one before, one after) on more or less the same course (there aren't a lot of options in Santa Cruz). Both were cancelled weeks ago, because local officials wouldn't let them run it.

5 hours ago, Triatx said:

For what its worth Triathlon Tarens take on Ironman is that they wont tell you a race isnt happening until 45 days before the event as from then on there refund policy says they dont have to offer anything.

He claims there are lots of events where councils or counties have already said no permit for the event for this year but IM sit on that info until the 45 day window then announce they cant run the event.

Well they cancelled Ironman Wisconsin over 60 days out. Same with Santa Rosa

6 hours ago, Triatx said:

Yeah I watched that video, it was quite good. Pretty crap on Ironmans part.

7 hours ago, Triatx said:

We have had our first race here in WA last sunday a duathlon in Bunbury.

A rolling start with people off every 5 seconds

Only 4 bikes per rack

I did it and it worked very well

Next one is 9th August same place followed by 16 th August which will be bigger as its in the metro area

What do you reckon to October and December going ahead?

1 hour ago, Charlie77 said:

Well, 70.3 World champs in Taupo and Feb 2020 Kona has just been called off. 

I actually said on ST back in April that I can't imagine Kona happening in October, then Feb when it was announced and said 2021 october would be a struggle. I had the piss ripped out of me!

1 minute ago, zed said:

I actually said on ST back in April that I can't imagine Kona happening in October, then Feb when it was announced and said 2021 october would be a struggle. I had the piss ripped out of me!

They will be lucky to serve up a US athlete in 2021 based on their current infection rate

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Fresh said:

They will be lucky to serve up a US athlete in 2021 based on their current infection rate

I have to admit even with deferral or refund policies in place (for a cancellation on their side) I am reluctant to enter any races on the chances I get infected and cannot train or race!

@zed I assume indoors on trainers and dreadmills. Swimming not sure, unless they got a sponsorship from endless pools 😂