Jump to content

Ironman Return to Racing


Recommended Posts

IMWA Update

 

*EVENT UPDATE*

With 6 months to go until IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia and still a great deal of uncertainty with regards to mass gatherings, you may feel a bit nervous about committing to an event.

We want to reassure you that our team, with the support of our stakeholders, are fully focused on delivering amazing and safe IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia events on Sunday 6 Dec 2020.

Following guidance from government health agencies, our team is working hard on creating a set of best-practice operating guidelines to ensure your event experience is a safe and enjoyable one. More information will be shared over the coming months about what you can expect to see and experience at the event.

In the meantime, we wanted to answer your most common questions upfront:

👉 What if IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia do not take place 6 Dec 2020, for reasons relating to the Covid-19 Pandemic?
Where possible, the event will be rescheduled, if this happens all registered athletes will have their race registration automatically moved to the new date. We will provide as much notice as we can.

👉 What if I can’t make a rescheduled date, I am unable to get to either the original event or a rescheduled event due to border restrictions, or if the event does not happen at all?
Athletes will be offered Event Credit to the value of your entry (including additional purchases). This Event Credit can be used on any of the IRONMAN Group’s portfolio of events in Australia.

While we are optimistic about delivering the event this December and don’t expect this scenario will unfold, we do hope these options provide you with some peace of mind and the confidence to join us on the journey back to Busso.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is: I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

It's not unwise at all. 7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport,

If Busso is commercially viable with a domestic field, why wouldn't it go ahead? They could even cut costs by not having a witches hat or a marshal at the run turnaround. Not like any of the loca

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

 

I agree with all of that. Remember I actually suggested going back to the old run course to spread out the field. I suppose my main point is that the organisers would have to do a better job in managing that than they did in the first three years that they had the run course coming in from Yorkeys. 

Keep in mind... If i go to a race I am fully expecting everyone to be fit and healthy.... but we also know that anything can happen, hence the on going cautions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

IMWA Update

 

*EVENT UPDATE*

With 6 months to go until IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia and still a great deal of uncertainty with regards to mass gatherings, you may feel a bit nervous about committing to an event.

We want to reassure you that our team, with the support of our stakeholders, are fully focused on delivering amazing and safe IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia events on Sunday 6 Dec 2020.

Following guidance from government health agencies, our team is working hard on creating a set of best-practice operating guidelines to ensure your event experience is a safe and enjoyable one. More information will be shared over the coming months about what you can expect to see and experience at the event.

In the meantime, we wanted to answer your most common questions upfront:

👉 What if IRONMAN Western Australia and IRONMAN 70.3 Western Australia do not take place 6 Dec 2020, for reasons relating to the Covid-19 Pandemic?
Where possible, the event will be rescheduled, if this happens all registered athletes will have their race registration automatically moved to the new date. We will provide as much notice as we can.

👉 What if I can’t make a rescheduled date, I am unable to get to either the original event or a rescheduled event due to border restrictions, or if the event does not happen at all?
Athletes will be offered Event Credit to the value of your entry (including additional purchases). This Event Credit can be used on any of the IRONMAN Group’s portfolio of events in Australia.

While we are optimistic about delivering the event this December and don’t expect this scenario will unfold, we do hope these options provide you with some peace of mind and the confidence to join us on the journey back to Busso.

Its at tier 4, so plenty of entries? Or are tiers 1 to 3 about 4 each? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Summary 

- we might have a race in December. Please pay $1000

- If we don't have a race in December. We will do another race later 

- if you can't make the second race we will give you a credit for a different race 

- if you can't make that...... 

- we won't be giving cash refunds

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Turts said:

Its at tier 4, so plenty of entries? Or are tiers 1 to 3 about 4 each? 

Not sure I paid for my entry a few days after the 2019 race so I guess that I was tier 1

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Summary 

- we might have a race in December. Please pay $1000

- If we don't have a race in December. We will do another race later 

- if you can't make the second race we will give you a credit for a different race 

- if you can't make that...... 

- we won't be giving cash refunds

 

Or......

 

brief summary

- we are Exceptionally  likely to be running this event in December, and all actions by the team are moving toward that fact. But we keep getting emails asking what happens in 6 months if we can’t run due to a second wave, so we had to say something to stop everyone asking. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The new guy said:

Or......

 

brief summary

- we are Exceptionally  likely to be running this event in December, and all actions by the team are moving toward that fact. But we keep getting emails asking what happens in 6 months if we can’t run due to a second wave, so we had to say something to stop everyone asking. 

Or 

- we have no idea what is going to happen and lack basic customer service so ppl kept emailing us. 
- answering emails has cut into our lunch breaks & Instagram time

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

Would it be a wise idea to sign up for Ironman cairns at this stage? Or should I hold off. 
 

I wouldn’t be signing up to any race that cost $1000 right now. Especially if u have to book airfares & hotels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The new guy said:

Or......

 

brief summary

- we are Exceptionally  likely to be running this event in December, and all actions by the team are moving toward that fact. But we keep getting emails asking what happens in 6 months if we can’t run due to a second wave, so we had to say something to stop everyone asking. 

Ooooorrrrrr,

 

Anthing could happen.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

IMWA will definitely go ahead. The WA border will remain closed, so none of you disease ridden eastern staters will be allowed to compete.

I am looking forward to getting into the top 500 podium.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

IMWA will definitely go ahead. The WA border will remain closed, so none of you disease ridden eastern staters will be allowed to compete.

I am looking forward to getting into the top 500 podium.

As the person with the 860th fastest Ironman time world wide in 2020, I think they should cancel every race this year. My ego enjoys this status

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

As the person with the 860th fastest Ironman time world wide in 2020, I think they should cancel every race this year. My ego enjoys this status

Richard, what is your age group placing at the moment? You may get to be AWA Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Richard, what is your age group placing at the moment? You may get to be AWA Platinum

Age groups, Pft, when you are that high in the rankings you only look at the overall😏

I thought AWA was a loyality so ranking was based on number off events not performance

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Age groups, Pft, when you are that high in the rankings you only look at the overall😏

I thought AWA was a loyality so ranking was based on number off events not performance

I think it is both. Mrs F normally gets a higher ranking than me as she does better in her age group and we do the same races. Nothing pisses me off more than when she gets a Silver cap and I am only Bronze. I sulk for days

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondering if the government has announced when we might go to 500

i know of the 100. 
 

im now totally confused wondering if western Sydney and Melbourne 70.3 going ahead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Keep training Peter - stop looking for excuses! 🙂 

Im still training. Basically maintenance. 
 

but thinking if I’m going to do both of them, I should go back on program. But don’t want to if the races don’t happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same sentiments here. My (self prescribed) training block for Ironman Busso begins in a couple of weeks. Despite positive signs that community sport and sporting events would go ahead, I'm not sure if Ironman will want to go ahead if the numbers are small with international borders likely to still be in place.

I had a look at last year's results and the % of internationals for Busso and Cairns are over 40% whereas for Port Mac, Sunny Coast, Western Sydney are only in the range of 10-20%.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, k3vski said:

Same sentiments here. My (self prescribed) training block for Ironman Busso begins in a couple of weeks. Despite positive signs that community sport and sporting events would go ahead, I'm not sure if Ironman will want to go ahead if the numbers are small with international borders likely to still be in place.

I had a look at last year's results and the % of internationals for Busso and Cairns are over 40% whereas for Port Mac, Sunny Coast, Western Sydney are only in the range of 10-20%.

I think they will as long as it’s allowed.
 

The issue for organisers is the knock on in 2021 for cancellations in 2020.

To use your example, if Ironman only had say 400 entries for Busso in 2020, and postponed, that’s 400 potential sales they WONT get in 2021. 

So short term pain for running at a reduced level in 2020 means that a large amount of that 400 might be purchasing new tickets in 2021, and a ‘return to normal’ cash flow ASAP.

Cancellation would also mean a loss of revenue streams like merchandise sales, and any council/state government contributions. 
 

Given these operators have been trying to keep their workforce afloat for 4 odd months now without events, my gut is they will be getting the ball rolling at the very first opportunity to get some sort of cashflow restores.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/06/2020 at 9:19 PM, Bored@work said:

Summary 

- we might have a race in December. Please pay $1000

- If we don't have a race in December. We will do another race later 

- if you can't make the second race we will give you a credit for a different race 

- if you can't make that...... 

- we won't be giving cash refunds

 

Agree. I think the key message from Ironman is:

Please pay $1000

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 8:05 PM, Peter said:

Just wondering if the government has announced when we might go to 500

i know of the 100. 
 

im now totally confused wondering if western Sydney and Melbourne 70.3 going ahead. 

Well, the 100 just disappeared for a few more weeks. Get your act together or you won't be looking at 500 for quite a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Peter.... are you suggesting you don't need to go full on into a training block because these scheduled races in September aren't going to eventuate! 

There is no way I could commit to a full on training block with a race that's still 50/50 at best.

I had a hard enough time commiting to a race that was 100% on

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Peter.... are you suggesting you don't need to go full on into a training block because these scheduled races in September aren't going to eventuate! 

Well I can’t see the November ironman 70.3 happening. 
 

and I’d be surprised if the western Sydney way one happens. 
 

so yeah.  I guess I am. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Auckland first race this Sunday. Off road running series starts. 

Some cycling clubs have been racing for a couple of weeks. 

The smaller organizers are back running events. The multi national organizers will be slow to come back I think. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Peter said:

Well I can’t see the November ironman 70.3 happening. 
 

and I’d be surprised if the western Sydney way one happens. 
 

so yeah.  I guess I am. 

OK...So we have a lot of races starting in September.

Port and Sunshine Coast 13/9

Cairns and Western Syd 27/9

Busso 17/10

Melbourne 15/10

WA 6/12

How long before each race does Ironman need to make a call on these. Is it 50 days prior or.....?

Edited by IronmanFoz
added Sunshine Coast
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

OK...So we have a lot of races starting in September.

Port 13/9

Cairns and Western Syd 27/9

Busso 17/10

Melbourne 15/10

WA 6/12

How long before each race does Ironman need to make a call on these. Is it 50 days prior or.....?

Sunshine Coast is the 13th as well. Same as Port. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

How long before each race does Ironman need to make a call on these. Is it 50 days prior or.....?

50 days from the last time I heard, but I am now VERY concerned. There are a number of races on in the US this weekend and next few weekends where there has been no change. 70.3s Lubbock, Muncie and Boulder have no notifications of postponement or cancellation.

Thing is I know people who are located in OZ, but have races booked overseas, Government are not allowing Australians to go OS, unless someone close is dying.

The EU parliament are on Sky at the moment, and they are still saying 12-18 months until we get a vaccine. Also, we can't go back to a "new normal" too quickly, look at Melbourne.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Busso in October is run by TWA not Ironman. Early next month all restrictions in WA are being lifted, except opening the borders. Midnight Friday you can hit the dance floor at a night club (If that's your thing). If TWA can get enough people enter to cover costs there is no reason not to run it. Might only be for West Australians but its a race and will make plenty over here happy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Peter said:

Well I can’t see the November ironman 70.3 happening. 
 

and I’d be surprised if the western Sydney way one happens. 
 

so yeah.  I guess I am. 

 

3 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

OK...So we have a lot of races starting in September.

Port and Sunshine Coast 13/9

Cairns and Western Syd 27/9

Busso 17/10

Melbourne 15/10

WA 6/12

How long before each race does Ironman need to make a call on these. Is it 50 days prior or.....?

Note my comments only relate to WS70.3 and Melb70.3

Id expect the WA races to go ahead for WA people only.

They'd be stupid to allow VIC, QLD and NSW people into WA to race.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With Community transmissions not stamped out in Victoria, and the Australian government pursing a suppression (not elimination) strategy,  it’s difficult to see any Triathlon racing going ahead in the eastern seaboard states for the foreseeable future.

WA and SA may likely be up and running events by tri season, if boarders are still closed. NT already are. The Darwin Tri Club are posting pics on facebook of their club events being run in the beautiful top end dry season. Very envious right now. 

I think international sports (not just triathlon) are doomed for the foreseeable future. Even the AFL season seems doomed to collapse.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

WA is looking good. With no community transmission for 2 months, further restrictions are being lifted this Saturday.

Racing is resuming, with Perth Trail Series (21/14/6km) resuming on Sunday.

Here's some of the restrictions being lifted:

Phase 4

27 June 2020

Western Australia’s COVID-19 restrictions will be relaxed even further, as WA’s roadmap is updated to complete the removal of all restrictions.

Due to the world-leading response to COVID in WA, Phase 4 will start on Saturday, June 27 (11.59pm Friday, June 26) and will result in: 

  • All existing gathering limits and the 100/300 rule removed
  • Gathering limits now only determined by WA’s reduced 2sqm rule
  • The 2sqm rule will only include staff at venues that hold more than 500 patrons
  • All events permitted except for large scale, multi-stage music festivals

For WA’s major sport and entertainment venues, a 50 per cent capacity rule will apply. Therefore, under Phase 4 the temporary capacity of Optus Stadium will be 30,633 for sport events (35,000 for concerts), HBF Park can hold 10,150 (16,500 for concerts), RAC Arena can hold 7150 (8250 for concerts).

It's looking good for a full summer of tri and other sports, though the timeframe for handing out invites to pox-ridden eastern staters remains uncertain. That's Phase 6, which was previously penciled in for August 8, but has now been officially scuppered. We're only just instituting Phase 4.

Phase 6 was going to include the removal of WA’s hard border with the rest of the country and travel restrictions currently in place for remote Aboriginal communities.

A tentative date for the removal of WA’s hard border was planned to be included as part of Phase 6, however this was put on hold due to the rapidly evolving situation in Victoria.

When an indicative date is set in the future, it will be contingent on locally acquired infection rates in the eastern states.

The WA hard border will only be removed when the WA Chief Health Officer is confident the spread of infection is controlled in the eastern states.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Peter said:

Well I can’t see the November ironman 70.3 happening. 
 

and I’d be surprised if the western Sydney way one happens. 
 

so yeah.  I guess I am. 

I'm with you , Pete.

A week or two ago, I felt fairly confident Port Macq would be a goer. I now have doubts, and if it does proceed, the chances of me being able to make the trip from WA seems unlikely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I'm with you , Pete.

A week or two ago, I felt fairly confident Port Macq would be a goer. I now have doubts, and if it does proceed, the chances of me being able to make the trip from WA seems unlikely.

Surely that is reason enough for the organisers to cancel it? #legend

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Surely that is reason enough for the organisers to cancel it? #legend

You can't help wondering over the years of the circumstances that will inevitably bring a streak to an end. Illness? Injury? Bike accident? Life just generally moving on?

I feel that I may now know.

Dave Ross DNFed in 2018 and 2019 in his attempts to be the first to bring up 33 IM Aust finishes. I'm likely to miss the opportunity to do so this year. If the race goes ahead, hopefully Luis can finish and be the first to do 33 next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are seeing non associated ‘test case’ data coming in, and so far it seems favourable to events happening later in the year. 

Regardless of your stance on the BLM protests in Australia, they offered a perfect example of a large group of people coming together for a 1 days event, with SOME sort of social distancing measures (some masks, some keeping 1.5m, many not doing anything), and then returning to their families and communities.

It doesn’t seem that the protests have had any real effect on community transmission rates even though it has been over 14 days since the first wave. It seems Victoria’s increase is due to certain localised communities not following visitation and social distancing guidelines, which have little to do with an endurance event where all participants are required to wear face masks in the precinct prior to competition.

The Nrl has successfully had small groups attending matches for a coupe of weeks now, and in the next week will shift to a 25% stadium capacity model. This is easier and harder to process than our examples, as people are able to be allocated seating based off social distancing requirements, but are locked into those positions for 2 hour periods. The triathlon model means less duration of exposure to other people, but potentially exposure to more people in total.


Hopefully AMPSEA are pushing a set of responsible guidelines at the government for approval, in the same way the NRL developed the systems to present to Government for approval, rather than waiting for permission.

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/mass-participation-sporting-event-industry-highlights-1.1-billion-coronavirus-impact/

Id say things are looking pretty favourable for these events, as community transmission cases are now proving pretty rare (outside of vic). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, The new guy said:

Also big news today that by the end of July both SA and WA will have eliminated thresholds on outdoor event (minus stadiums) and will allow quarantine free travel between east coast states. 

I thought WA was planning to open borders on August 8, but have changed their mind and will defer it further?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I thought WA was planning to open borders on August 8, but have changed their mind and will defer it further?

Thats what I thought, 20 new cases overnight in Victoria, Gladys is not blocking the traffic between VIC and NSW, but telling us we should not travel there, and they should not come see us (affected areas only).

As for racing, so I am meant to stand in the wave start zone at Port with a face mask on? What about the run course spacing? I'm ok as I am slow and not after sheep stations of any kind, but the front runners tend to bunch up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The new guy said:

It seems to depend on what state your from. WA says July for central states, SA says July for all states no restrictions.

 

All good signs though.

Good signs? I don't think so. At best, things are not any worse than they were before. At worse, we are trending in the wrong direction.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...