Ironman Return to Racing

1 hour ago, Bosco said:

Good point fishing and golfing......my grandfather probably spent 10-12h a week at the pub. Life’s about choices - we all get to make ours, I try not to judge. 

I’m making the observation that behaviour which qualified someone as a “devoted family man” in the 1950s has some parallels with the requirements to go ok at IM.

(Check out Back in Time for Dinner if you need a reminder on how societal norms have changed)

Where I’m inclined to get judgemental is whether individuals leaning on a spouse in pursuit of [insert time intensive thing like IM, fishing, etc here] have the insight to recognise just how heavily they are leaning, compared to others.

Edited by trilobite
  • Like 2
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is: I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

It's not unwise at all. 7-9 hours a week or 1-1.5h a day, if it's spread across three sports in a week, isn't very much at all and aerobic capacity, which is such a large component of this sport,

If Busso is commercially viable with a domestic field, why wouldn't it go ahead? They could even cut costs by not having a witches hat or a marshal at the run turnaround. Not like any of the loca

Posted Images

We hope this email finds you safe and well.

No doubt you’ve been closely monitoring the situation here in Australia and Western Australia over the past few months and wondering if IRONMAN Western Australia will take place as planned on 6 December 2020, so we wanted to give you an update with the information we have right now.

While the situation continues to be highly changeable, and we’ve faced enormous challenges over the past few months, I want to reassure you that our team, with the support of our stakeholders, is doing everything we can to ensure the event has the best possible chance to take place on 6 December 2020, for those that are able to attend, subject to necessary health approvals.

Western Australia borders are currently closed to domestic travel, but with the event still over three months away, we remain optimistic that this will change in time for our interstate athletes to be able to attend the event. Rest assured, if you are unable to travel to the event we will provide you with the option to either defer your entry to 2021 IRONMAN Western Australia, or take an Event Credit to the value of your entry fee.

Our team is currently focused on developing our IRONMAN Western Australia Safe Return to Racing guidelines. More information about how these specifically relate to your experience will be shared over the coming weeks.

So, for now, we encourage you to keep your training up, stay positive and stay patient.
We hope to see you in December.

Kind regards,
Marty

On 23/08/2020 at 2:10 AM, trilobite said:

Where I’m inclined to get judgemental is whether individuals leaning on a spouse in pursuit of [insert time intensive thing like IM, fishing, etc here] have the insight to recognise just how heavily they are leaning, compared to others.

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is:

I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

We had kids very late and had a lot of conversations about how it would work.

She works part time from home these days.

I've pulled away from tri in the last couple of years but still train a fair bit.  Mrs FP is now actively encouraging to me buy another motorbike, as she knows that's something I've wanted for a while.  I do quite a bit around the house but the scales definitely weigh down on her side.

She knows that, I know that. I think after all my surgeries, she's really happy to see me active again. We talked about it and most important, Little One has two parents that are providing her with an active and educated lifestyle. I love that we surf and run together as a family.

It works for us.  Care factor of zero on what anyone else thinks of our lifestyle.  Nobody in the world is more important to me than the two females in my house and if it ever wasn't ok, then we'd adapt and adjust.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 7
1 hour ago, Ironnerd said:

We hope this email finds you safe and well.

No doubt you’ve been closely monitoring the situation here in Australia and Western Australia over the past few months and wondering if IRONMAN Western Australia will take place as planned on 6 December 2020, so we wanted to give you an update with the information we have right now.

While the situation continues to be highly changeable, and we’ve faced enormous challenges over the past few months, I want to reassure you that our team, with the support of our stakeholders, is doing everything we can to ensure the event has the best possible chance to take place on 6 December 2020, for those that are able to attend, subject to necessary health approvals.

Western Australia borders are currently closed to domestic travel, but with the event still over three months away, we remain optimistic that this will change in time for our interstate athletes to be able to attend the event. Rest assured, if you are unable to travel to the event we will provide you with the option to either defer your entry to 2021 IRONMAN Western Australia, or take an Event Credit to the value of your entry fee.

Our team is currently focused on developing our IRONMAN Western Australia Safe Return to Racing guidelines. More information about how these specifically relate to your experience will be shared over the coming weeks.

So, for now, we encourage you to keep your training up, stay positive and stay patient.
We hope to see you in December.

Kind regards,
Marty

I initially asked if I could transfer my entry now to Cairns end of September and they agreed. But I decided against it as I haven't quite done the mileage yet. I then put in a deferral request to WA in 2021 but it was rejected (I guess because my entry was rolled over from IM Port originally in May 2020). So I'll just have to wait now and continue training, with the likelihood of not being to travel over in December. 

20 minutes ago, k3vski said:

I initially asked if I could transfer my entry now to Cairns end of September and they agreed. But I decided against it as I haven't quite done the mileage yet. I then put in a deferral request to WA in 2021 but it was rejected (I guess because my entry was rolled over from IM Port originally in May 2020). So I'll just have to wait now and continue training, with the likelihood of not being to travel over in December. 

And who said I was unreasonably pessimistic about IM’s approach to transferring entries?

IM's policy in Australia is more generous than in South America. At least they're offering the opportunity to switch to another race. IM Brasil is giving 2020 registrants until next week to re-register for the May 2021 race, or lose priority. If we register for 2021, we can then roll it over to 2022 or get a 50% refund. I've asked IM if I can transfer my registration to another race, like Busso or Taupo or something other than next May (have other plans), but so far no response.

2 hours ago, steve said:

IM's policy in Australia is more generous than in South America. At least they're offering the opportunity to switch to another race. IM Brasil is giving 2020 registrants until next week to re-register for the May 2021 race, or lose priority. If we register for 2021, we can then roll it over to 2022 or get a 50% refund. I've asked IM if I can transfer my registration to another race, like Busso or Taupo or something other than next May (have other plans), but so far no response.

Just because they have set a low bar for customer service in South America doesn’t make their customer service in Australia any less $hit.

• Like 2

I'm wondering what is going to happen with Port in 2021 if we are still restricted to 500, or even 1000?

Current news on a vaccination is mid 2021 and they will start with the vulnerable groups, could be the end of next year until the rest of us can get the jab.

I ate a loss and withdrew from IMWA, with the 50% refund. 

Two reasons.

1. my knee is screwed and without a knee replacement I won't be doing another IM - and who knows when that will happen. Even if I do get one, I may still never be able to even walk that far, or even train enough on the bike. 

2. It's likely not going to happen this year for us Victorians - even if it does there's no way I can train or do it with my knee. 

3. A carry forward to 2021 or an event credit is not a viable solution for me as the "unknown" factor is too big. 

So I would rather 50% refund in my hand, than 100% loss into an unknown future. 

I couldn't foresee IM giving people 100% refunds due to events being deferred or cancelled - but if they do, so be it.  I knew the refund policy when I signed up. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, MissJess said:

Current news on a vaccination is mid 2021 and they will start with the vulnerable groups, could be the end of next year until the rest of us can get the jab.

That's just some random date isn't it? I was reading back in March about possible vaccines, most experts seem to think they either will never find a vaccine or if they do, it's years away.

If one is discovered, how long will it take from discoverer to being on our shelves?

Edited by zed

I'd say by the time we get around to any kind of multi-state and international larger events, the face of events will have changed. 

Event companies are hemorrhaging at the moment.   IM and other companies may not be giving refunds, but they still have people to pay, and cost being incurred. The next time they put on an event with all those deferred entries, they will have no income with which to stage it - if the company hasn't gone out of business in the meantime. 

If events open up in different countries earlier, this may help, but any resurgence in cases will shut that down, and global companies might never resurface. 

IM might even just disappear as we know it, not to mention domestic even organisers who have no other source of income and bills to pay. It will take a long time for a new crop to establish themselves - and will there be a will to do it in uncertain circumstances? We may never see events over 500 - or for quite some time. 

We may all have to turn into footy spectators, where 20,000 in a stadium is OK :wallbash:

7 minutes ago, Turts said:

We may all have to turn into footy spectators, where 20,000 in a stadium is OK :wallbash:

At least that 20,000 is in a capital city.

There's a good bit of push back from people and councils in regional areas from hosting large events where its folks from Sydney at the moment. They are hurting in terms of the income, but their hospitals and people can't cop the strain if we go up and infect them. I am not sure there will be an end to it either (unless there's a vaccine). S and I are going up to Port for the long weekend to see his olds, but we are getting tested and isolating prior to driving up. 

And the truth is in NSW, our long distance races are mostly regional, with the exception of Western Sydney 70.3.

25 minutes ago, Turts said:

IM might even just disappear as we know it

I can't see how they can survive. They were struggling pre-COVID.

6 hours ago, Turts said:

I ate a loss and withdrew from IMWA, with the 50% refund. 

Two reasons.

1. my knee is screwed and without a knee replacement I won't be doing another IM - and who knows when that will happen. Even if I do get one, I may still never be able to even walk that far, or even train enough on the bike. 

2. It's likely not going to happen this year for us Victorians - even if it does there's no way I can train or do it with my knee. 

3. A carry forward to 2021 or an event credit is not a viable solution for me as the "unknown" factor is too big. 

So I would rather 50% refund in my hand, than 100% loss into an unknown future. 

I couldn't foresee IM giving people 100% refunds due to events being deferred or cancelled - but if they do, so be it.  I knew the refund policy when I signed up. 

Granted that COVID-19 restrictions and safety precautions were predicted by a rare few...

However, notwithstanding the IM Asia Pac CEO came on here and proudly talked about how he was focused on rewarding loyal customers with more flexibility, my experience (despite AP’s claims of receiving red carpet treatment) is that his actions have fallen dismally short.

Any news out of Cairns yet on QLD gov approval for the race? On tri buzz with Muss the director mentioned they were still waiting and expected it this week. 

IM should just run maybe 70.3 or Oly distance till the Covid situation improves in my opinion.

Edited by Gilliga

Got a response from IM Brasil – no transfer, but I can get an 80% refund:

Thank you for writing to IRONMAN Brasil.

We inform you that there is no possibility until this moment to transfer to races outside of Brazil, if we have any news about it we will certainly return your contact.

It is possible to transfer from 2020 to 2022. If you want to proceed with this option, please let us know through this same e-mail and we will indicate your contact to subscribe you in the IRONMAN Brasil 2022. Its is importante to know that after this request, there will be no further possibility of transferring to other years or to do any refund.

You also can request the refund of your registration. In this case we‘ll proceed with the reimbursement of 80% of the referred amount, excluding a tax fee, directly on your credit card until the 6-month deadline - Feb/2021. This proportion takes into account the organization's preliminary expenses in the event.

Feel free to contact us in case of new doubts! :)

On 25/08/2020 at 4:03 PM, FatPom said:

I completely have that insight and do have a lot of support from Mrs FP.  I think the difference is:

I was already doing this stuff when we met, so it was never an addition to our lifestyle.

We had kids very late and had a lot of conversations about how it would work.

She works part time from home these days.

I've pulled away from tri in the last couple of years but still train a fair bit.  Mrs FP is now actively encouraging to me buy another motorbike, as she knows that's something I've wanted for a while.  I do quite a bit around the house but the scales definitely weigh down on her side.

She knows that, I know that. I think after all my surgeries, she's really happy to see me active again. We talked about it and most important, Little One has two parents that are providing her with an active and educated lifestyle. I love that we surf and run together as a family.

It works for us.  Care factor of zero on what anyone else thinks of our lifestyle.  Nobody in the world is more important to me than the two females in my house and if it ever wasn't ok, then we'd adapt and adjust.

So if, before having kids, I was golfing most Saturdays, then fishing most Sundays, would the fact I was doing it pre-kids make it cool to keep doing so once the little guys arrive?

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

Santa Rosa cancelled

This year and next. The full is going to Sacramento anyway, but the half is cancelled for 2020 and 2021. They hold out hope of bringing the half back in later years, but I'd guess it depends on what Santa Rosa/Sonoma County will offer for the privilege, which I don't think will be much. I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Cruz goes the same way. To the extent that the locals care, they don't like the road closures and congestion. Hard to justify spending public money.

A friend was registered for the half, and they offered her a rollover to 11 different U.S. races, all halves. She's still waiting to hear if they'll give her a refund.

13 minutes ago, steve said:

This year and next. The full is going to Sacramento anyway, but the half is cancelled for 2020 and 2021. They hold out hope of bringing the half back in later years, but I'd guess it depends on what Santa Rosa/Sonoma County will offer for the privilege, which I don't think will be much. I wouldn't be surprised if Santa Cruz goes the same way. To the extent that the locals care, they don't like the road closures and congestion. Hard to justify spending public money.

A friend was registered for the half, and they offered her a rollover to 11 different U.S. races, all halves. She's still waiting to hear if they'll give her a refund.

I’m still holding out for a return to Lake Tahoe. If that race ever returns, I’ll come out of retirement 

• Like 1

That's one I wanted to do, too. The locals there (here, actually – I'm in Reno now) are even stroppier than down in the flatlands. They've been demonstrating at freeway exits, telling visitors to go home. I'm waiting to see what Sacramento looks like. If the bike heads up into the hills, it could be a really sweet course. But there are plenty of flat roads along the Delta levees, and that's the path of least resistance, for locals and participants.

6 minutes ago, steve said:

That's one I wanted to do, too. The locals there (here, actually – I'm in Reno now) are even stroppier than down in the flatlands. They've been demonstrating at freeway exits, telling visitors to go home. I'm waiting to see what Sacramento looks like. If the bike heads up into the hills, it could be a really sweet course. But there are plenty of flat roads along the Delta levees, and that's the path of least resistance, for locals and participants.

I did it the first year. It’s still one of my favorite races.  

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I’m still holding out for a return to Lake Tahoe. If that race ever returns, I’ll come out of retirement 

I heard you were coming out of retirement for Busso. :)

That's right isn't it @Katz

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, trilobite said:

So if, before having kids, I was golfing most Saturdays, then fishing most Sundays, would the fact I was doing it pre-kids make it cool to keep doing so once the little guys arrive?

Your relationship and attitude is your business, I can't answer for you.  I'd also like you to point out the part in my post which correlates with me being absent all day Saturday and Sunday?

The communication and adjustment is key, not the sense of entitlement.  

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Your relationship and attitude is your business, I can't answer for you.  I'd also like you to point out the part in my post which correlates with me being absent all day Saturday and Sunday?

And you're including the little one in some of these activities now.

I suppose if Trilobite takes the kids to play golf & go fishing, to give the partner a break, or even include them as well, then it's a whole different story.

46 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Just have another go at flogging the dead horse.

That is, while you, me and others with little ones at home might think regularly &@$?ing off for much of the weekend is a big ask of the spouse (ie the sense of entitlement you mentioned), others take it for granted.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And you're including the little one in some of these activities now.

I suppose if Trilobite takes the kids to play golf & go fishing, to give the partner a break, or even include them as well, then it's a whole different story.

Last fishing I did was with the little guys in summer holidays.

I don’t have a set of clubs.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, trilobite said:

Just have another go at flogging the dead horse.

That is, while you, me and others with little ones at home might think regularly &@$?ing off for much of the weekend is a big ask of the spouse (ie the sense of entitlement you mentioned), others take it for granted.

Your clue to me not caring what other others think about my life was the bit where I wrote that I don't care what others think about my life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ironman can be done while still being good to the family. Training through summer:

Saturday ride 5 hours done 10:30

Sunday ride 3 hours done 830

Wed morning long run 2 hours done 7

around that should be able to get it done

• Like 1

Then there was a mate of mine who did ironman every year for ten years, then quit to spend more time with his wife. They split up later that year when they realised they actually didn't like spending time together.

• Haha 2
43 minutes ago, -H- said:

Then there was a mate of mine who did ironman every year for ten years, then quit to spend more time with his wife. They split up later that year when they realised they actually didn't like spending time together.

People break up all the time, Iron Man probably made it last longer. 

46 minutes ago, -H- said:

Have seen this happen many times with any sporting activity.

If you are someone who has regularly played sport all your life and then give up, it is like a drug addict going cold turkey.  You will be a different person while you adjust to lack of endorphins, dopomine and comradery.  Some people will replace it with excess alcohol consumption which can make the situation even worse.

I have many friends where both spouses (of young children) are still heavily involved in their sport.  It's up to each couple to discover what works for them (some work it out better than others).

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I don’t like vanilla 

It is hardly vanilla. It is the only IM where you get to swim with the sharks 🦈.

Instead of vanilla I can highly recommend Simmo's banoffee pie or the mango when you come and do Busso. 🍦

14 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

It is hardly vanilla. It is the only IM where you get to swim with the sharks 🦈.

I thought it was the one where you DIDN'T get to swim with the sharks.

• Haha 2

There's sharks at IM South Africa, too. The swim course marshals carry shot guns because of it. At least they told us it was for sharks.

7 hours ago, steve said:

There's sharks at IM South Africa, too. The swim course marshals carry shot guns because of it. At least they told us it was for sharks.

Yeah I raced the 70.3 worlds in PE. I don't normally worry too much about sharks, but 1km out to sea, with no-one near me I was spooked! They had scuba divers with massive hand held shark shields at the outer marker buoys which offered little comfort! 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah I raced the 70.3 worlds in PE. I don't normally worry too much about sharks, but 1km out to sea, with no-one near me I was spooked! They had scuba divers with massive hand held shark shields at the outer marker buoys which offered little comfort! 

Haha

I raced Ironman South Africa with a couple of mates back in 2016 and a few days before the race we decided to do an ocean swim out the front of our hotel which was a couple of kilometres up the bay from the race start. We threw our wetties on, got down to the water, stared at a rough ocean with poor visibility and went 'Yeah... nah', turned around and went for coffee.

Despite our ordinary swims in the race we never regretted that decision!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/07/2020 at 3:02 PM, Paul Every said:

Not sure. But we're currently allowed to have 30000 people in Optus Stadium, and with the next round of restrictions due to be lifted in a couple of weeks, it will be 60000.

As things are, Busso is looking fine.

On 09/07/2020 at 3:50 PM, Peter said:

Its been Called by a few of us that busso won’t happen.

only deluded people living in wa think it will happen.

happy to be proven wrong in December.  I believe I made the call years ago busso wouldn’t happen.  Haha 

Called it months ago.

• Haha 1

Got the email about Melbourne today too, but no surprises there.  I'm relieved as my knee is farked, gives me a bit more time to get it right before I have to run 21km.  Bring on Geelong.

On 30/08/2020 at 6:42 PM, BarryBevan said:

Ironman can be done while still being good to the family. Training through summer:

Saturday ride 5 hours done 10:30

Sunday ride 3 hours done 830

Wed morning long run 2 hours done 7

around that should be able to get it done

I used to get on the trainer at 3.30-4am then ride until sunrise then switch to the road. Long ride done at 9am. Same as long run - 2 or 3 hours run by 8am. Swimming was before work starting 6am. 

I remember one Saturday morning running 3 hours, back by 8am, mowed the lawn and everything ready for my daughters 10th birthday party at 11am. I entertained the kids, fed them then cleaned up after. All done by 5pm. 

Its hard but it can be done. 

FM

PS: I was also doing Uni by correspondence as well. Ah, those were the days...