EOFY sales should be good if this drags on a bit.  We had plans to update my wife's car this year so fingers are crossed

If you are looking for a Holden, might get a double whammy of good price

On the flip side, we listed our caravan to sell middle of Feb, not a single call and doubt we will get any.  Might be a trade in on the next one (family has outgrown this one)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

EOFY sales should be good if this drags on a bit.  We had plans to update my wife's car this year so fingers are crossed

If you are looking for a Holden, might get a double whammy of good price

On the flip side, we listed our caravan to sell middle of Feb, not a single call and doubt we will get any.  Might be a trade in on the next one (family has outgrown this one)

Not sure about that - more Australian will holiday at home i think until the world cleans up which will take longer than us

Holden dealers are practically giving away cars at present. If you're in the market to take a chance on a slightly dodgy car, get on it, as they say.

As far as upgrading bikes goes, I'm just wondering what the market is going to be like for new and superseded models over the next few months. Normally, this time of the year in Oz, we would be seeing the run out deals from makers like GIANT and Trek, as they prepare for promoting their new model releases in Europe as the GIRO and Tour de France approach. 

Giant were to launch the new TCR this week apparently. Already in the country but weak exchange rate holding it back so has been delayed. Did pick up a cracking deal on a 2020 top end one though....

in general the bike shops around here (Bris) are flat out with so many people and kids back out riding again. Even if only a small % stick at it post the end of lockdown it should provide a longer term lift to the numbers out there. 

I  suppose it may depend on how much disruption there has been to the Chinese supply chains. If there is a shortage of stock prices may well stay firm well into the back end of the year or until supply frees up.

On the other side Facebook marketplace seems to have lots of folk clearing out garages and lots of “urgent sales” on items that are probably now deemed less than essential given the amount of people short on work. 

I was nearly in the market for a new car yesterday (well second hand as I don’t buy new cars) 

pulling the boat out yesterday on high tide at the beach, risked a water crossing without a snorkel on my ute (should of taken the other Ute with a snorkel).  Walked it before I chose to drive it, water over the bonnet, ute coughed and spluttered a bit but kept chugging through!  😂. Daughter told the wife when we got home.  She wasn’t impressed haha.  Might buy a snorkel tonight.  

must have been kissed on the d@#k by an angel or something because on the way home we got pulled over by the boys and girls in blue.....no mention of the trailer being unregistered, just a gentle reminder to fix the brake lights.  Trailer has never been registered, it won’t pass inspection but that number plate I found near the tip has worked wonders so far.  4x times pulled over and nothing so far 

53 minutes ago, bulldog said:

maybe it will be the just the car industry that will be affected the most out of this - 

You might be right. Holden closed their doors as soon as they got a whiff that this whole economic catastrophe was happening. :)

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

It is really starting to hurt the car industry. Dealers are trying to get creative on how they sell, but it is a big investment so people still want to touch and feel and see it as a discretionary purchase.

The market in China has bounced back pretty well, which can help globally but there is no doubt at a Dealer level they are doing it pretty tought.

4 minutes ago, bulldog said:

anyone know what sort of mark up there is on new cars?

Depending on brand and model not much.  The business model for dealers is generally based around accessory sales and service work.

1 hour ago, bulldog said:

It's not huge and Dealers tend to give most of it away and rely on volume bonus. 

On 14/04/2020 at 12:28 PM, bulldog said:

Going back a while, but used to have fleet management as one of my duties mid 2000s.  Minimum then was at least 30% could be dropped from RRP at the car yard.

Last of the Statesman models I was getting at 40% off RRP - I heard it straight from the horses mouth they still weren't losing money, but were relying on servicing with them as they weren't making much either.  Most seasoned salespeople are very good at giving every reason as to why they can't get to these levels, the longer you keep them tied up, the lower they go (may not work in the current environment though as they can't get other sales while negotiating with you). 

I hate the hard sell on finance, aftermarket etc.  I negotiate hard and always have finance organised before going (I tell them then if you can beat this deal, let's talk, otherwise don't waste my time), and then tell the dealer straight if they make me go through any of the hard sells for these I walk.  I have followed through on this with the one salesperson who must have thought I was joking - don't sign any contracts until you are ready to leave to ensure this happens. 

• 5 months later...

Any further info with vehicles ? Am looking to upgrade a station wagon to someting that does the same job.  Carry a surf ski, have a bike inside. Currently perusing SUV's

Have walked into a couple of LBS's here looking for a new gravel bike.

First shop looked at me and asked "Gravel?".

Second shop went straight to their book from their supplier (Scott) and said here's your gravel options.  Didn't ask a single question around proposed use, budget, what I was looking for, preferences etc.

PS - both shop floors were pretty much empty so getting stock is difficult. Having said that, that tends to be in the $500/$1500 christmas bike market. I'd imagine of you were looking for something specific / high end you should be able to get something in a reasonable time period.

Have been on the phone to a favourite LBS in another town 2 hours away.  If I can get a border pass sorted will be supporting that business that was at least interested in mine.