How far are venturing from home when training?

Live in Victoria, as of the last 2 weeks I have gone no more than 2 km from home to train.

All riding on the trainer.  All running except long run on the treadmill.  Long run was repeats of a 4km loop.

Country Victoria - no change, still getting to around 8km from home at the furthest point for the runs.  See fewer cars these days, have only seen 3 other people on the course over the last 12 months

Bike wise - most of it is indoors on the spin bike.  With the current restrictions and living close to a rail trail, I will still go out for some rides on that, haven't gone more than 30kms before so doubt I will venture further than that - mainly only something to do with the kids now

At most about 30 minutes from home, ~4 km straight line running at the moment.

QLD based.

My biggest change has been time - later and later to try to avoid others.

5 km starting about 8:00 pm today.

I haven't ridden since I started WFH.

Queensland (Brisbane, western suburbs).

My training from home hasn't changed at all. Running is within about a 5km radius, but all fairly quiet. Riding is probably within about a 10km radius, but this is fairly normal for my shortter rides from home doing laps. The only change is that I haven't done any long rides, as these often used to involve me driving a bit to meet some mates.

It is a bit busier with more walkers etc out and about now, but it's still very easy to avoid people or give them a wide berth due to the quiet roads and route options.

Edited by bRace
Context

ySydney,

Swim: Current drive about 35 mins to swim. I usually get 3.5 km in solo.

Ride: Ride anywhere. from North Turramurra - all directions. Up to about 5 hours. Likely to ride 6.5 hours on Friday.

Run. Anywhere near home. Farthest point would be 7-8Km from home.

In short, nothing has changed for me at all.

Edited by IronmanFoz
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, Horowitz said:

Where are you swimming?

Manly Dam. I have a 2 lap course. Prior to daylight saving finishing you would swim in the dark from 06:00. This week its light and the sun is just coming up. oH When I said solo.... there is usually myself and IronJimbo. Monday there was 4 of us.

I don't venture anywhere....I ride on my KICKR, run on my treadmill, lift weights and do swim cords in my garage, and have stopped swimming until the pool re-opens, whenever that ends up being.

Edited by MJK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, MJK said:

I don't venture anywhere....I ride on my KICKR, run on my treadmill, lift weights and do swim cords in my garage, and have stopped swimming until the pool re-opens, whenever that ends up being.

Same, except the lift weights bit. I’ve also embraced Zwift group rides to make it more motivating. 

Riding about the same as normal, just all solo and avoiding any busy coffee stops.

Running the same as normal but taking extra steps to avoid busy times on the paths I run.

Vic,

No swimming since 20/3 - even the beaches are closed for water activities in my council

Hate WT, but haven't been outside since 15/3 and all ride sessions being done on the trainer now.

Running still outside, usually within a 5km radius from home, but finding there is quite a bit more effort required to avoid others, so may need to change the time of the day.

10 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Vic,

No swimming since 20/3 - even the beaches are closed for water activities in my council

Hate WT, but haven't been outside since 15/3 and all ride sessions being done on the trainer now.

Running still outside, usually within a 5km radius from home, but finding there is quite a bit more effort required to avoid others, so may need to change the time of the day.

Yep, I've never seen so many people using bike paths and running trails. A lot of rusty and dusty bikes getting ridden around the place. Most of these folks have no idea how to share paths or open spaces. They're all over the place like farmer Brown's cows.

• Like 1

I swim in the bay which is 1km from home (but not for much longer, it's getting cold).  Also walk to the foreshore to run because I'm not supposed to do hills with my knee, and don't run more than a few km.  Ride within 30km from home.  

In NZ Auckland

Ride have kept to within 10-15km from home, but could be circuits when feel like it. Today furthest was 5km from home. The riding close to home is where a lot of Aucklander's ride to. Did 8 laps of our block last week. Easter ride will be to ride every street in our suburb. There are a few people doing these sort of rides to make it more interesting.

I have been using Rouvy a bit, still prefer to be outdoors. The outdoor riding is great as no car's. Also weather has been great.

Running not doing much, just some barefoot stuff at local park.

For gym people there are a lot of online sessions put on by PT's or gyms. Wife is doing those with improvised weights (milk bottlle's filled with water, and other stuff)

There are a lot of people out walking there dogs, just going for a walk, run. Potentially more than normal, but i'm not usually out wandering around at 10am on a week day.

Beaches are closed, so very few people out swimming.

In QLD

Riding and running as normal - although I'm picking quieter roads - as I don't want any aggro from "cabin fever" drivers

Swim - in a large creek that is on private property and also 40mins to Hervey Bay

Gym - I'm set up at home - so no change there

Just no races for awhile

In NSW, train as per normal, rides 20k+ from home and runs 10k+. I hear the local radio talk of 1hr of exercise allowed but not seeing any mention of a time limit in the Dept of Health material nor in the Public Health Order 2020 under the Public Health Act 2010. So training as usual. 

NSW

Run/walk - drove about 10km today to run in a nature reserve (burrs!)ImbotaBurrs.thumb.jpg.74b8d4e633dcec50c14d7a97247b7127.jpg.  Else within 2kms of home

Cycling - 15km out and back from home on the road, 4km out to the MTB single track

Swim - can't, really missing it, even the local dam is still closed to all water activity due to algae

Strength - we've set up a home gym in the shed, but also do stuff 4km away on an oval which also has chinup bars

Flyfishing (5hrs of this is exercise, esp. if you walk kms over rocky ground) - drive up to 140kms, alone in car, alone on the river.

Ride and run routes haven't changed, except there are fewer cars and more runners/walkers/cyclists out there. California public parks and beaches (state, county, city) are generally closed to cars and any use that involves standing still, but are open to human powered movement. One city near me (Monterey) is trying to restrict use of a major bike path to only commuters, but that's not working well.

15 hours ago, Merv said:

Some of the mtb'rs have been left warnings on their vehicles .

A mountain biker was fined by cops in Victoria but then the ticket quickly rescinded because most states regulations have no requirement on location for exercise. 

The note left for a mountain biker in Brisbane yesterday that was floating around on social media is technically wrong - you can travel to ride your bike if you wish. It would never be able to be defended in court.

The police are en masse misinterpreting the actual written regulations / applying a very harsh interpretation of them. 

Not saying this behaviour of travelling is morally right or responsible, but people are not breaking the regulation by travelling 20km by car to a mountain bike park as it stands. 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, dazmuzza said:

A mountain biker was fined by cops in Victoria but then the ticket quickly rescinded because most states regulations have no requirement on location for exercise. 

The note left for a mountain biker in Brisbane yesterday that was floating around on social media is technically wrong - you can travel to ride your bike if you wish. It would never be able to be defended in court.

The police are en masse misinterpreting the actual written regulations / applying a very harsh interpretation of them. 

Not saying this behaviour of travelling is morally right or responsible, but people are not breaking the regulation by travelling 20km by car to a mountain bike park as it stands. 

You can guarantee not a single fine if taken to court would see the light of day

• Like 1

My fly-fishing guiding colleague & I need to check out our #1 trout fishing farm-stay spot on saturday to see if there are any trout left after the drought.  It's 80kms out of town in the bush.  We will travel in separate 4WDs, but along the main route to the north coast (Waterfall Way).  He was crapping himself we'd get fined, so called Service NSW who said it was not a problem at all.  Will be interesting what the cops say if they pull us over.  Stay tuned.......

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

Swim - was going to Suttons Beach until I got attacked by lice and itched like crazy for 5 days following. Now driving 15 mins to a girlfriend's house, where I enter via the side gate, swim in her pool, and leave via the side gate. She has a quick chat over her 2nd story veranda. (See video)

Bike - windtrainer only (see photo)

Run - today will be my first run in 3 weeks as I pulled, or did something to my calf. It will be an easy, testing only Run, so won't be going far. When I get back to my long runs, they will probably be a max of 10km from home. 

20200410_050024.jpg

• Like 3

I went for a quick bay swim today, and as I was crossing the road (Beach Rd Melb), I saw a group of 8 cyclists pull up at the lights. Thought it was a bit risky.. Anyhow, as I walked down a short ramp to the sand, I heard a police siren. Didn't see the outcome, but I think they (at least) warned the bunch.

Only been running, since Xmas. 17kms, max distance from home around 5kms. In to the industrial wilderness of the West Melbourne docks, look at the big boats.

Contemplating Beach Rd ride, as  still hoping for  cycling event planned later this year, and whilst running is great for fitness, need some riding leg muscles and something about the sea air.  Friend down Beaumauris says cyclist numbers well down, but still plenty enough, and well spaced. Hasnt heard of any fines.  Have sometimes thought about riding in the depths of the night, but - bad joke - the zombies. Well stoners perhaps.

Just can't get enthusiastic about trainer cycling. Cooped up all day on computers. But if really had to as no alternative, would.

Reading that article above, 20m spacing for cycling. Hmm. Cyclists love to sit in and bunch. As I'm no longer fast enough to get away, even on the TT bike :),  and I get overtaken on the hills by one and all now, might just stick to running for the while. Gravel rides might be an alternative, but time overhead is high, and no quiet tracks for some distance, even the sekrit Yarra River trails.

Went out on the bikes today with the better half.

20 km round trip, so made it ~10 km from home.

All bike paths (Bulimba Creek) got a bit squishy around Minnipi and a couple of other spots.

Better half liked it, I thought there were too many people.

Rode to black rock today.  65k round trip. 

lots of riders out but 99% all in just twos. 

even at traffic lights people stopped with at least 3 mtrs between other groups of twos. 

I only saw one group of about 10 but they seems to be breaking up after a traffic light.  They were going the other way. 

then I did a run tonight. Bigger groups everywhere. Could have been families.  

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Rode to black rock today.  65k round trip. 

lots of riders out but 99% all in just twos. 

even at traffic lights people stopped with at least 3 mtrs between other groups of twos. 

I only saw one group of about 10 but they seems to be breaking up after a traffic light.  They were going the other way. 

then I did a run tonight. Bigger groups everywhere. Could have been families.  

Yep, have been noticing the same thing on beach rd.

this was my ride on Saturday, keeping it local, almost every street in the suburb, 52km. A lot of double ups as didn't really plan a route just knew where the boundaries were. Missed a couple of streets so will have to try again

image.png.478bb9b11ab001c0bbf8daa26247d2e7.png

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Peter said:

That’s a great run 

Palm beach yesterday. about 85km round trip.

Heaps and heaps of surfers at Palmy. Looks like they have all come from the closed southern beaches up to the Northern Beaches.

Seriously packed.

felt like Noah's Ark running the trails on Friday - ran past 2 walkers, 2 runners, 2 mountainbikers, 2 adults with 2 children and 2 dogs.

Went for a bike ride with a friend on Saturday.  It was social distancing at it's finest.  Unfortunately, it had more to do with the fact that I have hardly ridden a bike in weeks and had serious trouble keeping her in sight.  I did catch up with her on the downhill segments though.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3