Wetsuit recommendation: sleeves or no sleeves

I am after advice on getting a wetsuit for training in a rock pool during winter. I am an average to slow swimmer and want to stay warm. I have an old Orca S2 wetsuit. I wore it for the first time today. It felt very strange around the shoulders. It could be I just need to get used to it or I wondered if I would be better off in a sleeveless wetsuit. I live in Wollongong. I will probably buy a new wetsuit and my budget is up to $400 but would prefer to spend less as I am not sure how much I will use it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Newbie ocean swimmer said:

I am after advice on getting a wetsuit for training in a rock pool during winter. I am an average to slow swimmer and want to stay warm. I have an old Orca S2 wetsuit. I wore it for the first time today. It felt very strange around the shoulders. It could be I just need to get used to it or I wondered if I would be better off in a sleeveless wetsuit. I live in Wollongong. I will probably buy a new wetsuit and my budget is up to $400 but would prefer to spend less as I am not sure how much I will use it.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Your strange feeling could be related to whether you put it on properly, i.e. pulled it right up in the crutch & made sure the sleeves were sitting properly on the shoulders.

If you want to stay warm, definitely go the full suit.

The only reason I would ever recommend a sleeveless is 1) cost, or 2) in rare cases where people have shoulder issues.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick777 said:

Your strange feeling could be related to whether you put it on properly, i.e. pulled it right up in the crutch & made sure the sleeves were sitting properly on the shoulders.

If you want to stay warm, definitely go the full suit.

The only reason I would ever recommend a sleeveless is 1) cost, or 2) in rare cases where people have shoulder issues.

Thanks Nick. Yes I might not have put it on properly. I couldn't completely do up the zipper. Thanks for the advice.

I think sleeves also.

I just about always need someone to zip me up.

I also "float" the wetsuit into position. Once I'm in the water I let some water into the neck which then allows the wetsuit to float a little bit and move to where it needs to move. For me they are not comfortable until then. I also use a wetsuit lubricant around the neck, arms, shoulders and legs to stop next rubs and to help get it on and off. SBR in my case in a little blue spray can.

For wetsuits, it may be worth a google. Years ago I found an article describing the properties of all of the wetsuits on the market etc such as thicknesses, where they assist you most etc. I wanted one that would help bring my legs up and ended up with the 2XU V:2. I bought it in 2011 and it is still going.

I have a sleeveless wetsuit. Mach2 from Dare2Tri. I’ve used for IM Cairns, various races in SEQ, many outings with Grimseys and Eneggora dam and a couple of tris in Vancouver. When I know it will be cool I use a long sleeve compression top with it. In hindsight I could have gone for a sleeved suit but think the extra shoulder mobility may help me.

My right shoulder can sublux occasionally so it helps with that.

The other advantage of a sleeveless suit is it is much easier to get off when exiting the water.