Indoor Cycling Help: Smart Trainers / Software [Zwift etc]

35 minutes ago, pieman said:

couldnt be at more inconvenient times (for me) if they tried

Yeah would have been nice to have 1 more start at 5 or 6am in the morning. I'm going to give it go starting this evening at 7.00pm with 4,225 of my closest friends. Not sure why I'm doing it because  I'm a crap cyclist and haven't trained for it. Isolation must be getting to me. 

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2014 Kickr Gen I top cap? Like this?  Happy to stick this in the post. No guarantees it'll work but I don't need it.  

Picked up a Kickr Core yesterday, will set it up today or tomorrow. Just giving you all a heads up so you are ready for 1,000 technical questions.

I've got a free referral for trainer road trial if you need one

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Gundy said:

Yeah would have been nice to have 1 more start at 5 or 6am in the morning. I'm going to give it go starting this evening at 7.00pm with 4,225 of my closest friends. Not sure why I'm doing it because  I'm a crap cyclist and haven't trained for it. Isolation must be getting to me. 

Yeah the 4am starts are ridiculous and are pretty standard in most of their tours... 

I think all the routes can be ridden in free ride so I might try and do it over 3 days but at my own times.. just wont have 5000 in the bunch or unlock a new kit..

Guest Jim Shortz

@gplama

OK so... 

Windows 10 current version. 

Rouvy OK, currently downloading the video for Roth to ride tomorrow morning. 

Zwift still no good? 

This is a photo of the multi adapter that I am trying. I was previously just using one at a time but it doesn't work that way either. 

20200403_172356.jpg

Not sure what's happening there. I've just stepped off the bike after that damn Hawt Rewt Stage 1, so it could be me. 

Some of those multiport adapters don't play well with peripherals. Connect mouse/keyboard to those and the critical things direct to USB. I've only used internal Bluetooth.... If you want dig deeper then check the version of Bluetooth that adapter supports. Zwift may need 5.0 to work properly.  

Guest Jim Shortz
1 hour ago, gplama said:

Looks like 4.0 should work.... try pair the power meter first not the controllable trainer. That caught me tonight with Windows 10.

Legendary. 

Thanks very much for your help. And for your time on Transitions 😎👍

Guest Jim Shortz

So characteristically I whimped out on Roth... 

But I did a 19km ride through the US countryside. How was it? 

No shit, just like riding a bike outdoors. The changes in terrain are far more realistic than Zwift and I was going through the cassette as I would outdoors. So I will continue with Rouvy for a while. Just use Zwift as a fun thing to get fitter. 

Zwift was busy this morning 3100 in Richmond 😳😳 

Oh well. Better than no cycling whatsoever 

22 hours ago, Gundy said:

@Gundy they've added a 6am slot now but too late for stage 1

5 hours ago, Jim Shortz said:

So characteristically I whimped out on Roth... 

But I did a 19km ride through the US countryside. How was it? 

No shit, just like riding a bike outdoors. The changes in terrain are far more realistic than Zwift and I was going through the cassette as I would outdoors. So I will continue with Rouvy for a while. Just use Zwift as a fun thing to get fitter. 

Zwift was busy this morning 3100 in Richmond 😳😳 

Oh well. Better than no cycling whatsoever 

Love the video on Rouvy. This is why using Rouvy instead of Zwift.

cycling is about escape 

Guest Jim Shortz
1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

Love the video on Rouvy. This is why using Rouvy instead of Zwift.

cycling is about escape 

Yeah. 

The reality of the terrain through the trainer is what got me. Awesome 

Gplama,

With virtual riding experiencing a growth now like never before, I suppose there is a lot of development looking at course design. Would it be simply a matter of using terrain data & a Google streetview type camera car to provide what's needed, and some IT gurus could come up with everything they need for a realistic course? If so, is this happening, to provide mo variation, and also the ability for the housebound cyclists to ride all the classic race routes?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Thanks 1

For real-world course replication with video, FulGaz (Aussie mob) are doing probably the most here. 

The issue with replicating courses is getting clean elevation data. GPS head units collect really noisy data that needs smoothing and fixing, it's no easy task. 

Kinomap and Rouvy are doing similar things with real-world video. 

• Like 2
On 04/04/2020 at 12:41 PM, pieman said:

@Gundy they've added a 6am slot now but too late for stage 1

Yeah I saw that but had already rearranged the home schedule to do 7:00pm Fri & Sat and then 5:00pm on Sunday for the Pretzel.

Bit insane trying to do a group ride on Zwift with 5000 other people and the pop up comments from everyone telling me everything from what position they were to their music and food choices were annoying. I also had some issues on the last half an hour of Alpe du Zwift that I suspect were due to the sheer volume of riders using the platform.

Legs are definitely feeling fatigued today and I'm enjoying a day off the bike.

I've got a Tacx Bushido that I bought in 2012 (for around $1k) and have used literally zero times.

I take it that this now no better than a standard fluid trainer?

Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger of a Tacx Flux 2 a couple of weeks ago when they were still available.

Just purchased Apple TV & running the cadence & kicker via Bluetooth. I know the Apple TV will only run three devices (remote, kickr, cadence) I tried to pair heart rate via the app but it won’t!!! Checked the chest strap  is working using My ELEMNT & it’s all good. The app on the phone won’t pick up heart rate 4A2271A2-5A00-43BE-81ED-D182D2AA4370.thumb.png.02ede65a095c4150bd85211377c02a18.png

What model Kickr? The Kickr CORE and 18 will do cadence now. If there's anything else connected to that HR strap over Bluetooth, it'll be invisible to everything else. 

Really elementary question here and I’m sorry if it’s already been asked.

If I use a ‘dumb’ trainer (Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll), my power meter (stages dual sided gen 2) and an iPad, should I be able to jump onto Zwift and ride away? Or do I need one of these dongle thingies?

9 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

2B733DF7-E9C0-43C8-A817-D3BAE7FEBD29.png

I have the same setup, and can't run my cadence sensor. So I have HRM, Kickr and Apple TV remote. Zwift should let you know you are trying to pair too many devices and you'll get the option to pair the 4th device with your phone which will then show up on your TV.

Just checked and my kickr and apple TV is now running cadence, kickr and HRM as well as remote. Cadence is built into kickr so maybe that's only counting as one connection, but swear I couldn't get all 4 before.

On 06/04/2020 at 1:38 AM, Gundy said:

Yeah I saw that but had already rearranged the home schedule to do 7:00pm Fri & Sat and then 5:00pm on Sunday for the Pretzel.

Bit insane trying to do a group ride on Zwift with 5000 other people and the pop up comments from everyone telling me everything from what position they were to their music and food choices were annoying. I also had some issues on the last half an hour of Alpe du Zwift that I suspect were due to the sheer volume of riders using the platform.

Legs are definitely feeling fatigued today and I'm enjoying a day off the bike.

I have no idea why anyone uses the companion app or the chat. When I'm on the turbo I just want to get it done. I have zero interest in the social media side of it. I select my route or workout and then just ride. Even in races I never use it.

I did manage a PB on AdZ this week with a 78.02, I do all my Zwifting on the same virtual bike, TT with 808s. I never change it, never get a draft. (I do have a bunch of welders lining up behind 😉).

I couldn't connect to the server this morning, seemed like a tech error on Zwift side. Gave up, got changed again, made brekkie and the friggin thing connected. grr!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Hoffy86 said:

Really elementary question here and I’m sorry if it’s already been asked.

If I use a ‘dumb’ trainer (Kurt Kinetic Rock n Roll), my power meter (stages dual sided gen 2) and an iPad, should I be able to jump onto Zwift and ride away? Or do I need one of these dongle thingies?

Mate, you’re good to go. 

The second screen you see when you open up Zwift on your pad will have a pairing screen. Icon on the left will bring it up, spin your cranks backwards a few times to wake them up, click on Stages, good to go. 

Might also want to pair it for cadence, but fire away. 

I use dumb trainer (rollers) and LS stages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, zed said:

if you unpair trainer and cadence so nothing is paired and then go and try and pair HRM what happens? Is it a TICKR?

Did that no joy. I can get the heart rate & the cadence to work via Apple TV (one at a time) 
I can get heart them to appear on Zwift on my phone. 

The companion app won’t pick them up 

49 minutes ago, altayloraus said:

Mate, you’re good to go. 

The second screen you see when you open up Zwift on your pad will have a pairing screen. Icon on the left will bring it up, spin your cranks backwards a few times to wake them up, click on Stages, good to go. 

Might also want to pair it for cadence, but fire away. 

I use dumb trainer (rollers) and LS stages. 

Awesome.

Thanks mate.

I’m must be doing something stupid!!!

1 - I can see speed & heart rate via wahoo utility app 

2 - could see them both on laptop

3 - could see them on Apple TV if I use one at a time via Bluetooth (so not to over load) 

4 - could see them on Zwift off the phone

5 - Zwift companion wont see anything & that’s the bridge I need to get them both on to I-tv at the same time. 

All apps are up to date. Reinstalled from scratch. Phone turned off & on. 

sensors not connected to Bluetooth or any other device.  

I do the do u want to use wahoo companion app & say yes. 

I then go to the app & it’s days use the in game menu to connect. 

wtf - I must be missing something super simple 

61DC451D-5439-436E-8054-17C6460545F5.png

16 hours ago, Bored@work said:

I’m must be doing something stupid!!!

1 - I can see speed & heart rate via wahoo utility app 

2 - could see them both on laptop

3 - could see them on Apple TV if I use one at a time via Bluetooth (so not to over load) 

4 - could see them on Zwift off the phone

5 - Zwift companion wont see anything & that’s the bridge I need to get them both on to I-tv at the same time. 

I'm getting a bit confused as to what you're doing! Using wahoo app, companion, phone, laptop and apple TV! If you turn your phone's bluetooth off, start Zwift on your Apple TV, you should have the following screen. Are you saying you can get any 3 out of those 4 working? Or only any 2 of them working?

7e289df648064adc7b60fa028bac25795fe78d16

Sorry to confuse with the reference to the laptop. I was saying it all worked previously without an issues when using the laptop and a ant plus dongle. 

I think the issue may have been another app using the connection. I deleted everything and then started over. 

It's working now. 

Now I just need to find the motivation to do an FTP test 

• Like 1
Guest Jim Shortz
1 hour ago, zed said:

The zwift FTP test is a bit more motivating than a traineroad one.

Yeah. 

TR sucks. 

The TR ramp test is "worse" 😬😬😳🥵🥵🥵

241 FTP currently 

3 minutes ago, Jim Shortz said:

Yeah. 

TR sucks. 

The TR ramp test is "worse" 😬😬😳🥵🥵🥵

241 FTP currently 

That's decent.   I managed t go 287 two years ago but since concentrating on running, I reckon I'd be lucky to get 225 these days. (to scared to try!)

3 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Ok so I have got all three to work but it keeps dropping in & out. 

I can see it on the companion & the tv no problems all good.

some times the tv will stop displaying & the app is fine

Other times both just disappear. 

Not sure. Is it your internet connection? The Apple TV generally runs Zwift really well, few complaints, other than the remote limitations. Kickr firmware uptodate? Apple TV uptodate?