Cancellation/Postponement of Races, List them here.

@IronmanFoz I have $1k tied up in IMOZ, which we are all wondering if it will even go ahead next year. There are all these rumours around that there won't be much on the mass participation level until a vaccine.

For some people they have no money tied up, as much as there has been a bucket load of job losses in the retail, hospo or travel sectors, there have been a huge amount in the IT and consulting sectors as well. 

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Club Champs are always on the Saturday. Sydney Marathon will be on Sunday. UTA, Saturday. Nepean, Sunday. These aren't clashes, they're opportunities.

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL so are there two races, a different one then a normal one?   

It's official. My marathon on Nov 22nd has been cancelled, which was inevitable really.

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, MissJess said:

@IronmanFoz I have $1k tied up in IMOZ, which we are all wondering if it will even go ahead next year. There are all these rumours around that there won't be much on the mass participation level until a vaccine.

For some people they have no money tied up, as much as there has been a bucket load of job losses in the retail, hospo or travel sectors, there have been a huge amount in the IT and consulting sectors as well. 

Agree. 

I think whilst we all live in hope of racing soon it still remains the great unknown.

Also it was pointed out to me yesterday that the money I have tied up in postponed races does not include accommodation postponed. The comfort factor in all of this is, for next year I don't have to come up with another ironman entry fee. It's already on the table. 

Hmmm. A new thread coming. How much do you have tied up in postponed races/accommodation.

• 1 month later...

Good ole Elite Energy.

They've added a 2nd Sprint Race on the Saturday to the Huski Tri Festival, as the Sunday one sold out.  I was too slow to register for the 1st one, so went on a wait list as we are going anyway for the girls to do the run events.

They must have had enough on the wait list to organise a 2nd sprint on Saturday 👍

• Like 2

Nepean still waiting on news - they are waiting on a response from Destination NSW about a grant which they need in order to run the event. 
Club Champs - rumours that it will be on, with the format of 500 in, 500 out, then rinse and repeat. No spectators. No on-site presentation. 

Events in NSW are suffering administratively and cash wise due to the cap of 500 which includes participants, volunteers, technical officials, staff and parents of child participants. You either cap the field, or do a 500 in, 500 out. which just extends the venue hire and road closures.

12 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Nepean still waiting on news - they are waiting on a response from Destination NSW about a grant which they need in order to run the event. 

In times like this the events need to strip down there costs and offerings.

Do we really need another T-Shirt Towel. After 28 years....i don't. Do we need swim caps... not really. I have dozens from races which are essentially single use swim caps.

Do we need all the barriers setup around the perimeters. Not really. Bike racks yes.

Insurance Yes. Its a pretty much enclosed venue. I reckon they could run it on the smell of an oily rag if they need too. Road closures yes - though maybe we just do 6 laps of the regatta centre. Desperate times calls for desperate measures!

• Like 1

As far as I know, there are no t-shirts or towels.

We still need colour coded swim caps, sticker kits and TOs as it's an open sanctioned event. Still need lifesavers for safety (they are not cheap!). Regatta centre costs a bomb to hire, even for a standard club race. 6 laps of the regatta centre will get a bit crowded, that is their worst case option. Competitor safety wise, not the best. I hope they can at least get out onto Old Castlereagh just outside the regatta centre. That will spread the bikes out a bit. 

I wonder what they are doing regarding vollies? Usual deal is their charity or club gets paid.

I know for us as a club, what we might have dropped in some costs have been picked up in other areas, such as COVID-19 signage for hygiene and QR codes for registation of any spectatating parents, masks and gloves and hand sanitiser. Plus the extra hours in trying to navigate the documentation required. So we moved back to a club sanction.

There would be an uproar if I was running it. 

No Lifesavers - we can all swim

No draft busters

No vollies check to make sure our helmet is done up...."before we get to transition"...hello.

No TA needed. 

Enter at your own risk  + you paid to race...therefore that is the registration list - no QR code required. No spectators =  no QR rego.

BYO swim caps - cheaters always get caught out....... and what do you gain by cheating.

Yep - no thrills racing.

13 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

There would be an uproar if I was running it. 

No Lifesavers - we can all swim

No draft busters

No vollies check to make sure our helmet is done up...."before we get to transition"...hello.

No TA needed. 

Enter at your own risk  + you paid to race...therefore that is the registration list - no QR code required. No spectators =  no QR rego.

BYO swim caps - cheaters always get caught out....... and what do you gain by cheating.

Yep - no thrills racing.

I get what you're saying but your family might be miffed when you lose their house due to being sued and having no race insurance.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, MissJess said:

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing :lol:

CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL

so are there two races, a different one then a normal one? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 7:29 PM, roxii said:

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing :lol:

CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL

so are there two races, a different one then a normal one? 

Different in ...no preso, no party and no spectators. How can they prevent no spectators when its on public roads etc etc

11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Different in ...no preso, no party and no spectators. How can they prevent no spectators when its on public roads etc etc

I think the take away from this is "please do the right thing and leave whoever doenst "have" to be at the race at home. 

Why bother holding the race if it's not really going to be club champs? the whole point is the party and ending the season right... Personally I'd just cancel it, it's "just another race" now. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Crappy said:

Why bother holding the race if it's not really going to be club champs? the whole point is the party and ending the season right... Personally I'd just cancel it, it's "just another race" now. 

It's also the tent alley and cheering on your club mates. I withdrew my TO signup a little while back as I thought I might be unemployed after my last contract ended, fuel and accommodation was looking a bit steep for a few hours unpaid (TOs don't get a TA payment for Club Champs).

25 minutes ago, MissJess said:

It's also the tent alley and cheering on your club mates. I withdrew my TO signup a little while back as I thought I might be unemployed after my last contract ended, fuel and accommodation was looking a bit steep for a few hours unpaid (TOs don't get a TA payment for Club Champs).

Tent alley is awesome, I reckon this year should've just been binned and have a crack for April or May or when ever it is now.

I'm surprised they (TA or TNSW)don't reimburse you for club champs. That kinda sucks! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why?  I was going to be there for it.  

lack of interest? 

No doesn’t appear so. 

Dear Athlete,

It is with regret that we need to inform you that the Triathlon NSW Kurnell Sprint Series Triathlon, scheduled for 10 Jan 2021 has been cancelled. This week, Elite Energy and Triathlon NSW received notification from Sutherland Shire Council, Police, and National Parks that due to the growth within Sutherland Shire (both residential and commercial), the event would not be approved.

Triathlon NSW will endeavour to discuss future opportunities with the local approving authorities in 2021, to (hopefully) keep Australia's longest-running Triathlon Series alive in 2021-22.

As this event was a WQE (World Qualifying Event), the replacement event will be confirmed in the next two weeks.

Credits and refunds for athletes will also be processed over the next two weeks.

With regards,
Elite Energy

• Sad 3
2 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why?  I was going to be there for it.  

lack of interest? 

Not sure on that but races in NSW are still having restrictions I believe. Husky sold out quickly and people are on a wait list. And on that weekend there will be no Teams events or swim events, No doubt as we progress forward they will open entries up to bigger fields - lets hope.

All very stupid when we can have 40000 in a football stadium and quite a few at the cricket - all not social distancing.

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

No doesn’t appear so. 

Dear Athlete,

It is with regret that we need to inform you that the Triathlon NSW Kurnell Sprint Series Triathlon, scheduled for 10 Jan 2021 has been cancelled. This week, Elite Energy and Triathlon NSW received notification from Sutherland Shire Council, Police, and National Parks that due to the growth within Sutherland Shire (both residential and commercial), the event would not be approved.

Triathlon NSW will endeavour to discuss future opportunities with the local approving authorities in 2021, to (hopefully) keep Australia's longest-running Triathlon Series alive in 2021-22.

As this event was a WQE (World Qualifying Event), the replacement event will be confirmed in the next two weeks.

Credits and refunds for athletes will also be processed over the next two weeks.

With regards,
Elite Energy

Oh dear.  That just screams NEVER AGAIN. 

shame TA isn’t involved to get it on. 

other than at the Penrith rowing centre, does “Sydney” still have any races?  

4 hours ago, Peter said:

Oh dear.  That just screams NEVER AGAIN. 

shame TA isn’t involved to get it on. 

other than at the Penrith rowing centre, does “Sydney” still have any races?  

Only some club races ie: Balmoral.

Gone are the races we used to see in Narrabeen or in various parts of the city (Pier One, Darling Harbour, Mrs Macquarie's Chair. Surely it can't be that hard to reduce the length of the course at Kurnell ie: same distance - just difference course with more loops. 

Does anyone remember the good old Sydney Harbour Biathlon. I am surprised there aren't more large scale biathlons in Farm Course/Mrs Macquarie's chair. You could do then early morning with little interruption to traffic and tourists.

9 hours ago, Peter said:

Where do they do a triathlon in balmoral?

I remember back when triathlon was popular you used to ride to the navy base and back 2x and then run up that dirty big hill to the north end of balmoral beach. 

COURSE OVERVIEW:

• 400m swim – 1 lap course starting and finishing at Obelisk Beach

• 15km bike - 5 laps of Chowder Bay Road

• 4km run - 2 lap course on Middle Head Road and Middle Head Reserve bush tracks

A full course description, including course maps, can be found in the BTC Triathlon Race Manual

DATES & times:

PRICES & ENTRY:

• $50-00 per race for BTC and Warringah Tri Club members

• $62-50 per race for TA non BTC members

• $62-50 for non BTC or TA members

• Thanks 1

Balmoral used to have aquathons on Friday nights, they weer a laugh.  I remember the Narrabeen series, as I lived there for 11yrs.

The quirkiest one I remember was the Star City Tri where you had to climb up the vertical jetty ladder to get out of the swim!

On 28/11/2020 at 8:19 PM, IronmanFoz said:

Not sure on that but races in NSW are still having restrictions I believe. Husky sold out quickly and people are on a wait list. And on that weekend there will be no Teams events or swim events, No doubt as we progress forward they will open entries up to bigger fields - lets hope.

All very stupid when we can have 40000 in a football stadium and quite a few at the cricket - all not social distancing.

Not 'rona related.

Looks like this one has been a long time coming, I've heard that there might have been a few more flat tyres than normal in previous years :(  I've not been down at Kurnell since 2013 (which was my very first triathlon), but I assume the wider area is getting pretty over developed, like most of Sydney. I cannot find the DA, but I assume it has a lot of letters from certain residents telling them no (much like the reading for the Husky one in 2019).

@Peter triathlon wise not really. Mac Tri have races as well, but theirs is a pool swim. No open water races in the Sydney basin. Wollongong is the closest open sanctioned race to the city.

Edited by MissJess
  • Sad 1