Cancellation/Postponement of Races, List them here.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Club Champs are always on the Saturday. Sydney Marathon will be on Sunday. UTA, Saturday. Nepean, Sunday. These aren't clashes, they're opportunities.

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL so are there two races, a different one then a normal one?   

Have u not read the childish bickering on the Trump thread

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Looks like Western Sydney 70.3 has gone. Friend on Facebook just posted that it has been cancelled.

Event page has it confirmed, based on the 500 limit.

hell, what will the flies do now?

• Haha 1

Nepean is working to the 500 limit, so should be ok. Races that need more than that to run are going to have issues, especially if they need main/arterial road closures (those cost the big bucks).

Club Champs - he's trying.

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1

They are still advertising the City to Surf - 18 October. That’s 82,000 participants for one race or......164 races of 500 people. 

FM

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, Aidan said:

Queensland now closed to Sydney residents, makes Cairns look less likely to proceed.

But for how long.

And....next to go (Nepean).....wash your mouth our IronJimbo.

Hopefully Nepean is our saviour... Back in Feb/March they were already planning on a reduced number of entries. 

7 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

But for how long.

And....next to go (Nepean).....wash your mouth our IronJimbo.

Hopefully Nepean is our saviour... Back in Feb/March they were already planning on a reduced number of entries. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much hoping Nepean goes ahead

This 'national long course champion' thing has gone to your head, so you need to be cut down a peg or two 😎

• Haha 2

https://www.facebook.com/TriathlonNSW/posts/2824167177688948

We got an email last night just as this went out, they are still trying, and they need to decide in the next 2 weeks, but NSW Health needs to decide their fate. 

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/find-facts-about-covid-19

That data tells me they are likely to say no. Curve is no longer flat, and the Eastern Suburbs cluster has now started moving into Surry Hills...

9 minutes ago, MissJess said:

https://www.facebook.com/TriathlonNSW/posts/2824167177688948

We got an email last night just as this went out, they are still trying, and they need to decide in the next 2 weeks, but NSW Health needs to decide their fate. 

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/find-facts-about-covid-19

That data tells me they are likely to say no. Curve is no longer flat, and the Eastern Suburbs cluster has now started moving into Surry Hills...

So if you had to put a number on the likelihood, it would definitely be under 50?

Just now, IronJimbo said:

So if you had to put a number on the likelihood, it would definitely be under 50?

Yeah under 50.

• 800+ entrants
  • Majority coming from metro Sydney
  • Travelling into a place where the health system is stretched, where the median age is 54 rather than 38 for metro Sydney, where the age groups of 60-80 are a higher percentage than the rest of NSW, and still reasonably mobile (compared to 80+)
  • Flat line has gone
  • Case numbers are led by community transmission, not by recent arrivals
  • Cases have moved from the Western Suburbs to Eastern Suburbs by a common link (Thai Rock)
3 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah under 50.

• 800+ entrants
  • Majority coming from metro Sydney
  • Travelling into a place where the health system is stretched, where the median age is 54 rather than 38 for metro Sydney, where the age groups of 60-80 are a higher percentage than the rest of NSW, and still reasonably mobile (compared to 80+)
  • Flat line has gone
  • Case numbers are led by community transmission, not by recent arrivals
  • Cases have moved from the Western Suburbs to Eastern Suburbs by a common link (Thai Rock)

Lets hope they dont jump the gun too quickly its nearly 3 months until Nepean. :) Keep positive folks.

And its not like we are going to be mixing with the local community - and i say that respectfully as the Regatta Centre is in the middle of nowhere (sort of).

Edited by IronmanFoz
Added an additional paragraph
21 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm very much hoping Nepean goes ahead

This 'national long course champion' thing has gone to your head, so you need to be cut down a peg or two 😎

Your only as good as your last race they say :).

And lets face it.....I ain't that good.

• Haha 1

Looks like Gold Coast running festival officially has the green light for 6 Sep. Same organisers run QTS, so hopefully that's a positive sign for the tri series.

No doubt, things could change at short notice depending on how the current covid situation develops, but a good sign for now (for those in SE QLD).

26 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Lets hope they dont jump the gun too quickly its nearly 3 months until Nepean. :) Keep positive folks.

And its not like we are going to be mixing with the local community - and i say that respectfully as the Regatta Centre is in the middle of nowhere (sort of).

Yeah Nepean is a race where you can turn up, race and leave, so is WS70.3, but the limit of 500 makes it financially difficult as road closures, traffic marshals and "volunteers" (their organisations get paid) makes it an expensive day.  

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

Jimbo, I’m noticing a pattern here.

You enter event. 
Event cancelled. 

I know, right?  Obviously the numbers drop

Have a bit of faith in yourselves people.  There's still second place to squabble over (or third if Foz shows up)...

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Your only as good as your last race they say :).

And lets face it.....I ain't that good.

Your last race was!

• Like 1

Local directors The Event Crew have just sent out an email saying full refunds, minus transaction fee for any event of theirs that gets cancelled this season.

50 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Local directors The Event Crew have just sent out an email saying full refunds, minus transaction fee for any event of theirs that gets cancelled this season.

I had to look them up, as I wasn't familiar the company or their events.

Gold Coast Running Festival, Qld Tri Series, Moreton Bay Tri, Tri Pink, Gold Coast Tri.

11 hours ago, Paul Every said:

I had to look them up, as I wasn't familiar the company or their events.

Gold Coast Running Festival, Qld Tri Series, Moreton Bay Tri, Tri Pink, Gold Coast Tri.

In NSW we know them as the organisers of TriPink. I had a chat to their RD a few weeks back about navigating NSW for Olympic Park, given the circumstances in NSW not sure it will go ahead. 

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 8:10 PM, Tyno said:

Thats rediculous...perhaps they need to have a discussion with Ironman re: rolling entries over :)

We had a date booked with the regatta centre for the start of our triathlon series in mid-September, but for amount of work required and the number of community virus cases we have decided to not proceed.

Hopefully we can get going by November, which is our next booking.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, JeffS said:

Challenge Shepparton cancelled, no surprise there!

5 weeks ago these idiots were still pretending like their race would happen.  They were so deluded. 

even worse is ironman melbourne. Nothing from them about a November race.  
ffs. That’s not happening. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

even worse is ironman melbourne. Nothing from them about a November race.  

ffs. That’s not happening. 

Even if it was on.... noone in there right mind would go to Vic for that one. November last year the opinion was quite the opposite. Everyone was very excited.

2 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Even if it was on.... noone in there right mind would go to Vic for that one. November last year the opinion was quite the opposite. Everyone was very excited.

Even February this year, people were wondering how long before it sells out

I noticed today that Sunshine Coast 70.3's website now shows a slightly different course, with transition being moved to a bigger car park, and the finish line being in the old transition spot. I can only imagine this will allow more spacing between bikes and also stop everyone crowding in in front of the shops and cafes along the finish chute. 

Website also mentions that aid stations will be help yourself, rather than being handed things by volunteers, who will now just replenish. 

47 minutes ago, BNothling said:

I noticed today that Sunshine Coast 70.3's website now shows a slightly different course, with transition being moved to a bigger car park, and the finish line being in the old transition spot. I can only imagine this will allow more spacing between bikes and also stop everyone crowding in in front of the shops and cafes along the finish chute. 

Website also mentions that aid stations will be help yourself, rather than being handed things by volunteers, who will now just replenish. 

Will they follow down the path that Cairns went today and give all international/interstate athletes an option to postpone?

9 hours ago, Kizza said:

Will they follow down the path that Cairns went today and give all international/interstate athletes an option to postpone?

Wouldn't surprise me. Given that we're a month out from race day and you still can't cross the border from down south, I don't think there's much chance of interstate competitors making into Queensland, let alone competing. 

2 hours ago, BNothling said:

Wouldn't surprise me. Given that we're a month out from race day and you still can't cross the border from down south, I don't think there's much chance of interstate competitors making into Queensland, let alone competing. 

I took the event credit option and on the first page it had 3 events listed to select from for the deferral or credit: Sunny Coast, Cairns 70.3 and Cairns Full, so I am assuming the same offer will be coming to these athletes.

16 hours ago, BNothling said:

Since writing this yesterday, the course maps now show transition further south, but closer to the beach, behind the Mooloolaba Surf Club. Swim leg is 'reversed' to previous years where the second turn is back towards the beach in a clockwise direction rather than further out and anti-clockwise, the bike leg loses the little dicky bit out towards the Coles and the run also looks to turn around a little bit sooner as well.

Edited by BNothling

We've now received "the email" about 70.3 Melbourne offering the options to defer to next year or get a credit for use in the next 3 years.  The link doesn't work though, so that's off to a good start.

3 hours ago, -H- said:

We've now received "the email" about 70.3 Melbourne offering the options to defer to next year or get a credit for use in the next 3 years.  The link doesn't work though, so that's off to a good start.

I used the link yesterday and got a credit, so must have broken overnight :( 

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Have u not read the childish bickering on the Trump thread

That’s not real life for aussies. We are just playing gogglebox re trump. 

this thread is us watching our sport suffering a heart attack. Hopefully it can bounce back. 

2 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Heard second hand that UTA is now cancelled

Well, this is the news we really hoped we did not have to deliver this year – but with a very heavy heart, here it is. Ultra-Trail Australia 2020 will not be going ahead.

Bush fires, floods, landslides and a global pandemic…2020 has thrown everything at us and our team has remained resilient and optimistic (like any good trail runner) that things would improve in time for us to deliver a safe event, for those who were able to attend.

Unfortunately, we have run out of time. Current New South Wales restrictions limit events to 500, and these are not going to be reviewed again until the end of September. Under these restrictions unfortunately the event cannot proceed and with still no certainty on when these restrictions will ease, we regret to advise you that Ultra-Trail Australia cannot take place as planned on 22 - 25 October 2020.

We know this will bring on a mix of emotions, some of you will be disappointed by this news and others will understandably be relieved to have some certainty. Please know that our team are gutted. We’ve put a huge amount of work into trying to make the 2020 event happen and were really looking forward to seeing you back doing what you love.

As you are no longer able to participate in Ultra-Trail Australia this year, the following options are available:

1. A free deferral to 2021 Ultra-Trail Australia on 13 – 16 May 2021; or

2. An Event Credit for the full value of your entry fee (and additional purchases), valid for three years, and able to be redeemed on any other IRONMAN Group events in Australia 

Just received this email confirming the cancellation.

15 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Yes, I feel for all event management companies. I am about to sign up for 1-2 races on back of email. 

I thought it was a well written  & honest message

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Emo & team sent out an email this afternoon.  Anyone read it?

I read it.....lots of doubt mentioned. But the interesting point is they essentially acknowedge noone is signing up for races until the last minute.... That includes me. 

The reason is we all have money tied up in rescheduled events already - me over $1k in race fees on hold/pending (which I dont mind by the way), but to throw more money at races in the hope they will happen is ludicrous. I have 4 races schedule that I haven't signed up for already and thats probably another 6-700 dollars and that doesn't include Sunshine Coast and Cairns which I didn't sign up for (but was going to) but can't even get to.

Emo -to all his credit says a full refund would be paid less a 7.5% processing fee...... but sadly we can't all be signing up for races early in hope.

• Like 1
Just now, IronmanFoz said:

I read it.....lots of doubt mentioned. But the interesting point is they essentially acknowedge noone is signing up for races until the last minute.... That includes me. 

The reason is we all have money tied up in rescheduled events already - me over $1k in race fees on hold/pending (which I dont mind by the way), but to throw more money at races in the hope they will happen is ludicrous. I have 4 races schedule that I haven't signed up for already and thats probably another 6-700 dollars and that doesn't include Sunshine Coast and Cairns which I didn't sign up for (but was going to) but can't even get to.

Emo -to all his credit says a full refund would be paid less a 7.5% processing fee...... but sadly we can't all be signing up for races early in hope.

PS: I normally do Nepean and an Ironman each year. I am looking to do more races now to supports these race directors like Emo. Without them we have nothing.