Cancellation/Postponement of Races, List them here.

10 hours ago, BNothling said:

Anyone have any inside info on Sunshine Coast going ahead or not?

I'm tipping this and Western Sydney will have higher chances of going ahead compared to Port and Cairns. Especially Cairns with historically higher % of foreign participants. Having state borders lifted and approval to go ahead is one thing, not sure if it is commercially viable to run the event with say, 60% occupancy when international travel is most likely to be disallowed. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Club Champs are always on the Saturday. Sydney Marathon will be on Sunday. UTA, Saturday. Nepean, Sunday. These aren't clashes, they're opportunities.

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL so are there two races, a different one then a normal one?   

Have u not read the childish bickering on the Trump thread

Posted Images

17 hours ago, POT said:

I doubt that Cairns will happen. If it does it might be a Queenslander only event as there is no talk of opening the borders to other states.

In Melbourne we still don't have any pools open in the east even though they are able to open but none of them have reopened and don't have a reopen date as yet. It might be because all the pools I have access to also have a gym.

I've been swimming at Kilsyth since it opened Tuesday last week, you have to book, limited to 50min per session, max 3 people per lane

17 hours ago, POT said:

I doubt that Cairns will happen. If it does it might be a Queenslander only event as there is no talk of opening the borders to other states.

In Melbourne we still don't have any pools open in the east even though they are able to open but none of them have reopened and don't have a reopen date as yet. It might be because all the pools I have access to also have a gym.

I've been swimming at Kilsyth since it opened Tuesday last week, you have to book, limited to 50min per session, max 3 people per lane

NSW clubs received an email yesterday for a meeting next week with Triathlon NSW to discuss club racing opening up.

When I heard from the head of technical the other day, he said it would mostly be related to club level sanctioning (not open) but I (or someone else from the club - we only do open sanctioned events) should attend.

We are still bound by the maximum gathering numbers though. Maybe I should tell everyone racing to bring protest banners and anonymous masks 🤣

On 08/06/2020 at 9:38 AM, Mr Flower said:

Hi Ex, I am not trying to be provocative, but when I saw that poor surfer killed by the shark yesterday I thought about my question and your answer. He was from the Gold Coast but was surfing on the Tweed.

Mr Flower,

I just spoke to one of my team who lives in the CBD here, but comes from Byron. He's currently at his parents place down there. He goes down most weekends. He said there is no issue crossing the border going south. To come back, all you have to do is go online earlier, fill in the paperwork that says where you live, where you are going, and that you are not going to a Covid hotspot, and send it off. You get the approval back, then print it out & leave it on your dash. You can go back & forth as much as you want.

That's how they manage all the people that live & work either side of the border.

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Mr Flower,

I just spoke to one of my team who lives in the CBD here, but comes from Byron. He's currently at his parents place down there. He goes down most weekends. He said there is no issue crossing the border going south. To come back, all you have to do is go online earlier, fill in the paperwork that says where you live, where you are going, and that you are not going to a Covid hotspot, and send it off. You get the approval back, then print it out & leave it on your dash. You can go back & forth as much as you want.

That's how they manage all the people that live & work either side of the border.

Thanks for following this up Ex. It will not be long and we will all be heading up to the Sunshine state for our mid winter break

17 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Thanks for following this up Ex. It will not be long and we will all be heading up to the Sunshine state for our mid winter break

Please make sure you don't have Covid-19 before you come up. :)

My wife is actually freaking out about opening the borders. I'm not, but there's still lots of people that are worried about it.

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Please make sure you don't have Covid-19 before you come up. :)

My wife is actually freaking out about opening the borders. I'm not, but there's still lots of people that are worried about it.

Obviously your Premier's plans are working.

Tell your wife that I bathe in hand sanitiser, so she will be fine. In NSW we have not had a community transfer for at least 11 days. It is just the foreign travelers returning that are creating the new cases.

46 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

It is just the foreign travelers

When you come to our country of Queensland, you are a foreign traveler! :D

1 hour ago, Mr Flower said:

It is just the foreign travelers returning that are creating the new cases.

Our last case was a foreign traveller that spent their quarantine time in Melbourne, then came up here & tested positive.

Keep your unclean to yourselves please. :)

• Haha 1

Yeah, the advice around open sanctioned racing is still not clear, and the gathering numbers in NSW are still not changed either.

I have a call on the 24th with Triathlon NSW about club sanctioned racing, as far as I remember that's 150 entrants or less.

Edited by MissJess
10 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah, the advice around open sanctioned racing is still not clear, and the gathering numbers in NSW are still not changed either.

I have a call on the 24th with Triathlon NSW about club sanctioned racing, as far as I remember that's 150 entrants or less.

Can you tell them to move Port and Cairns til a bit later in the year and spread out the dates between the two.

Winter is for skiing...not Triathlon training

• Haha 1
On 12/06/2020 at 6:42 PM, Mr Flower said:

As a followup to this, I was talking to him today now he is back in Qld. He said over half the cars on the NSW side of the border down to about Brunswick Heads have the exemption paperwork on the windscreen.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, no real information out of TriNSW with regard to return to racing. Current maximum in NSW is still 20 people outdoors, and there is a checklist for clubs that do club sanctioned races (so less than 150). No discussion on open sanctioned races which Hills does, and I assume the commercial RDs are getting help directly.

Someone on the line asked about club champs, they said they would have to make a call 4 weeks out, but thing is they admitted that a lot of the clubs book accommodation for their members so might have to make a call before that. We refunded all our accommodation packages back in March, I think we have the new date pencilled in with our providers, but have not opened up our booking system yet.

Article I saw posted elsewhere here today mentioned that Ironman Oceania have 2 weeks to decide on Port. If my calculations are right, at least that means you know if you need to turn up the distance dial, if you can as some pools are still on 45min swim slots.

• Like 1

NY Mara gone. 
After months of accepting I wouldn’t be there even if it was on, I’m now looking forward to cancellation lottery for all the pre-booked stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Challenge Almere is cancelled. Taiwan is still on the schedule for November, though. The virus is under control there and the race could easily go with just a domestic field. It would be the only Ironman that Challenge puts on this year. Might be the only one period.

They're insisting that the Challenge Davos half will happen as scheduled in August. Shepparton is still listed too.

Bugger, Trex Port Stephens in September gone.  Was looking forward to my first off-road race.

JULY 9, 2020

PORT STEPHENS | IT IS WITH HEAVY HEARTS THAT WE HAVE HAD TO MAKE THE VERY DIFFICULT DECISION TODAY TO POSTPONE THE PORT STEPHENS MULTISPORT FESTIVAL, DUE TO TAKE PLACE ON 19 AND 20 SEPTEMBER, TO 2021.

At In2Adventure running events isn’t like a business to us, we do it because it feels like creating something positive in the world for some really awesome people.  Having to make heartbreaking decisions to postpone events, in a time when we know that regional communities are suffering so much is extremely difficult.

Over the past few months, we have delayed opening entries for events as we continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation in all states.  We understand that financially, many businesses and families are struggling and, before opening entries, we wanted to have a greater degree of certainty for the hosting of the events.

Unfortunately, developments that have taken place over the past seven to ten days in Victoria and New South Wales have significantly increased the risk of the possibility that an event in September may need to be cancelled at short notice.

We know that this decision will be very disappointing for everyone, and especially for us, as we value the Port Stephens community, businesses, and the people there so highly.  However, we also recognise and understand that having to cancel or reschedule an event at short notice has such a significant impact on athletes, staff, volunteers, service organisations, community groups, vendors, partners and the destinations in which we operate, as well as to our business.

Currently, the event date is just ten weeks away.  New South Wales is moving into a state of high alert, borders are closing, and further lock downs are taking place in neighbouring Victoria.  This has raised the risk of a possible late cancellation significantly and based on this we have taken the decision to not open entries for the Port Stephens MultiSport Festival, and to work towards the event in 2021.

We cannot know the future for certain, and the situation could improve by September, however, the most we can do is to make informed decisions based on the information available to us now, in the best interest of all involved.  We truly hope that this latest outbreak will be able to be contained and managed, as the impact it is having on so many people and businesses is devastating.

In the meantime, we would encourage you, if you have the opportunity, and restrictions allow, to consider paying a visit to Port Stephens when you #HolidayHereThisYear.  It is one of the most spectacular locations in Australia, and although the festival will not be here in 2020, we can still enjoy the wonderful natural beauty and adventure opportunities in this amazing destination with its national parks, awe inspiring coastal vistas, visiting whales and dolphins, beaches that go on forever and more adventure opportunities than you could imagine.

And, while your there, we also encourage you to look at supporting some of the fantastic local businesses such including:

We thank you all in advance for your understanding and send all of our thoughts and best wishes to everyone who is a part of our special In2Adventure family as we continue to navigate our way through these uncertain times.

best wishes

Rob & Simon & the i2a team

Yeah should add to this list officially - Port IM and Port 70.3 in September are now off.

If the race fields in NSW are capped at 500 for any one event, then one would assume City to Surf, Ultra Trail Australia (I assume just the shorter events), Sydney running festival and Club Champs would also go.

Nepean is still on, but capped at 500. We (Hills) are working with Triathlon Australia to get the COVID-19 checklists sorted to run our open sanctioned races, which will probably be capped at 200 due to the increased racking distance, but the incoming race team will need to discuss how we do start groups.

2 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah should add to this list officially - Port IM and Port 70.3 in September are now off.

If the race fields in NSW are capped at 500 for any one event, then one would assume City to Surf, Ultra Trail Australia (I assume just the shorter events), Sydney running festival and Club Champs would also go.

Nepean is still on, but capped at 500. We (Hills) are working with Triathlon Australia to get the COVID-19 checklists sorted to run our open sanctioned races, which will probably be capped at 200 due to the increased racking distance, but the incoming race team will need to discuss how we do start groups.

wow.  is Sunshine Coast 70.3 and Cairns restricted to 500? are they likely to go ahead still?

1 hour ago, Prince said:

wow.  is Sunshine Coast 70.3 and Cairns restricted to 500? are they likely to go ahead still?

I wouldn't think so on those numbers.  Would barely be viable 

14 hours ago, Prince said:

Not sure what the gathering numbers are in Queensland.

28 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Not sure what the gathering numbers are in Queensland.

I think generally QLD gatherings are still only 100 people, but I'm not sure how many a triathlon with an approved COVID safe plan would be looking at.  QLD tri series seems confident of their races getting approved and starting in Sep, but they're smaller than 70.3, of course. I'm still holding off on my Sunny Coast entry, as it just feels a bit unlikely at the moment.

4 hours ago, bRace said:

I think generally QLD gatherings are still only 100 people, but I'm not sure how many a triathlon with an approved COVID safe plan would be looking at.  QLD tri series seems confident of their races getting approved and starting in Sep, but they're smaller than 70.3, of course. I'm still holding off on my Sunny Coast entry, as it just feels a bit unlikely at the moment.

"Current Queensland Government restrictions mean that with an approved COVID Safe Event Plan, events between 500 - 10,000 can take place. More information about our IRONMAN Cairns COVID Safe Event plan and how it relates to your experience will be shared over the coming weeks, but for now, you can read more about IRONMAN’s Return to Racing guidelines here: https://www.ironman.com/return-guidelines"

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, zed said:

Has 70.3 worlds been cancelled? I know it was moved to Feb.

still on, but it maybe just trans Tasman world champs

I'm still on the Elite Energy email list. From afar, it appears that Emo is largely carrying the sport in NSW, at least when it comes to providing the bulk of the races outside of small club events.

News headlines this morning has NSW government discouraging unnecessary travel and gathering in groups. I haven't looked at the specifics of NSW restrictions.

With the TriNSW Club Champs being run by Elite Energy and scheduled for 19 Sept (6 days after IM Aust's cancelled date), how tenuous (or not) is that looking?

Are the Club Champs likely to be a bell-wether for much of the NSW season? If TNSW's own championship race goes down, is that any different for the sport in NSW than the loss of some other event?

Fingers crossed for you guys. Emo, especially.

1 hour ago, Paul Every said:

With the TriNSW Club Champs being run by Elite Energy and scheduled for 19 Sept (6 days after IM Aust's cancelled date), how tenuous (or not) is that looking?

Just remember the council up there has the final say on whether they allow it or not.

You ask me today, with 20 new cases in the community, and seems steady, I would say I am not travelling to what is a retirement town to race/volunteer/TO. As much as I miss the fiances olds (and their liquor cabinet and views of the Hastings), we have no plans to travel to Port Mac just yet either.

Heaps more folk in Rhodes are wearing masks now, even when outside walking where you can distance! (some even running).

18 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Heaps more folk in Rhodes are wearing masks now, even when outside walking where you can distance! (some even running).

It's understandable people are wearing masks there, even when just wandering the suburb. As we know, all roams lead to Rhodes!

(Channeling my inner Roxii. And yes, I am somewhat ashamed of myself. :down:)

• Haha 2
On 12/06/2020 at 8:29 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Our last case was a foreign traveller that spent their quarantine time in Melbourne, then came up here & tested positive.

Keep your unclean to yourselves please. :)

What would Sir Joh do 🤔

20 minutes ago, trilobite said:

What would Sir Joh do 🤔

Just you wait & see.

Mind you, one of his greatest comments, other than referring to his press interviews as "feeding the chooks", was when he said something along the lines of the best thing that could happen to Qld and to the country would be to get rid of the media. Then we could live in peace and no-one would know anything. I'm sure many other politicians have thought exactly the same thing, just didn't dare say it.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
On 10/07/2020 at 8:28 AM, IronJimbo said:

I'm looking at Port to Port now that Port IM is off

Hopefully it's not the next to go...

...aaaaand it was

Taken from the Port to Port page.

As you may know, the current Public Health Order regarding Mass Gatherings in NSW has been extended to 29 September 2020 - meaning gatherings over 500 people cannot take place in NSW over our event weekend without an exemption. Unfortunately, and despite our best efforts, given the current situation in NSW an exemption has not been granted. As a result, we regret to advise that Port to Port cannot take place as planned on 10 – 13 September 2020, or the foreseeable future.

So....this is interesting....

I can see some races in September still not cancelled, are they honestly going to be able to work around the 500?

• NSW Club Champs (September 19)
  • Sydney Marathon Festival (September 20)
  • Western Sydney 70.3 (September 27)
1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Taken from the Port to Port page.

So....this is interesting....

I can see some races in September still not cancelled, are they honestly going to be able to work around the 500?

• NSW Club Champs (September 19)
  • Sydney Marathon Festival (September 20)
  • Western Sydney 70.3 (September 27)

Western Sydney is definitely cancelled officially. Not sure about the others. 

17 hours ago, Prince said:

Western Sydney is definitely cancelled officially. Not sure about the others. 

Not officially enough for them to say so on the website. Yet.

Edited by Paul Every
1 hour ago, MissJess said:

Surely Melbourne 70.3 has to go as well, over 500 cases in Victoria in one day!

Given how Melbourne is travelling at the moment, if it did go ahead, Victorians couldn't enter, there would be a field limit of 5 and they would still need a rolling start.

• Haha 2
51 minutes ago, POT said:

Given how Melbourne is travelling at the moment, if it did go ahead, Victorians couldn't enter, there would be a field limit of 5 and they would still need a rolling start.

I wonder what it's like swimming in a mask?

Looks like Western Sydney 70.3 has gone. Friend on Facebook just posted that it has been cancelled.

Event page has it confirmed, based on the 500 limit.