Cancellation/Postponement of Races, List them here.

5 hours ago, Prince said:

It was on the media this morning that all events with crowds will not be going ahead until next year.  

Got a source for this?  

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Club Champs are always on the Saturday. Sydney Marathon will be on Sunday. UTA, Saturday. Nepean, Sunday. These aren't clashes, they're opportunities.

A typo in the press release makes it more confusing CLUB CHAMPS TO GO AHEAD, BUT WILL BE DIFFERENT THEN NORMAL so are there two races, a different one then a normal one?   

Have u not read the childish bickering on the Trump thread

Posted Images

On 18/04/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ayto said:

Got a source for this?  

It was on channel nine today show Saturday but can’t find anything else On it   Might have been a beat up story I think     I am still expecting to race in Sept on the Sunshine Coast   

• Thanks 1
On 18/04/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ayto said:

Got a source for this?  

It was Brett Sutton, Victoria's Chief Health Officer. He stated that large live sporting events like football & cricket will likely remain closed to spectators until at least 2021, and all we can currently hope for is a gradual peeling off of some restrictions over an extended timeframe. He also said International travel will be a long way off.

He said it either Friday or Saturday. Can't recall now..

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It was Brett Sutton, Victoria's Chief Health Officer. He stated that large live sporting events like football & cricket will likely remain closed to spectators until at least 2021, and all we can currently hope for is a gradual peeling off of some restrictions over an extended timeframe. He also said International travel will be a long way off.

Fortunately Triathlon and Ironman are fringe sports.......

• 3 weeks later...

IM Brasil just got bumped for a second time. It went from 31 May to 16 August and, now, to 8 November.

• 2 weeks later...

OXFAM trail walker Sydney (August) and Adelaide

Triathlon Australia are still not doing any sanctioning until the end of June, they will review closer to that date to either extend or start sanctioning again.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Tyno said:

Gold Coast Marathon. Goneski.

5 hours ago, MissJess said:

Western Sydney Marathon cancelled.

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

Sunny Coast Marathon is gone. 
That’s mid August. 

Until we move past the 100 limit, everything has to be cancelled.   

my heart wants ironman melbourne to happen, but my body isn’t.  And if I was to bet on it, it won’t happen and neither will western Sydney which I’m also entered for. 

I'm doubtful Sunny Coast 70.3 would happen at this stage. But still keeping hopeful that Busso IM would happen in Dec. In my own tiny world, I would be gutted if I progressed my IM training build only to be told that it would be off about 4-6 weeks before the event (like what happened for Port).

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Until we move past the 100 limit, everything has to be cancelled.   

Hey Blew,

Can you let me know where you found the 100 limit you refer to above.

I have checked the DHHS website , specifically Here and it states a maximum of 10 people outdoors for sport and recreation etc.

Cheers

Ayto

4 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Hey Blew,

I have checked the DHHS website , specifically Here and it states a maximum of 10 people outdoors for sport and recreation etc.

Cheers

Ayto

Not sure about other states, but in Qld, stage 3 of the easing limits gatherings to 100 people, and commences on July 10.

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/roadmap-to-easing-queenslands-restrictions

I assume other states have similar roadmaps

17 minutes ago, Ayto said:

Hey Blew,

Cheers

Ayto

11 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Not sure about other states, but in Qld, stage 3 of the easing limits gatherings to 100 people, and commences on July 10.

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/roadmap-to-easing-queenslands-restrictions

I assume other states have similar roadmaps

As per ex.  In a few months we will all be at the 100 limit step/ stages.  

but I just can’t see the states going beyond that.  Maybe WA and SA.  But nothing on the east coast.  

2E20973A-7068-4986-BA89-917755483D39.png

83A5ECAE-4915-4D47-9DB0-D0B269FDAE2A.png

Gotcha.  I saw this when it was announced but thought there must have been formal date announced for Victoria when I saw your comment.

If all goes to plan, we MIGHT see Step 3 in place by mid to late July at best

Cheers

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

As per ex.  In a few months we will all be at the 100 limit step/ stages.  

but I just can’t see the states going beyond that.  Maybe WA and SA.  But nothing on the east coast.  

Maybe Qld as well Peter, but we'll just make sure we keep that southern border closed. :)

28 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe Qld as well Peter, but we'll just make sure we keep that southern border closed. :)

Looking good. 

79FA8E83-6D71-407E-93D4-B103A2F058CD.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Qld has said border closed until at least September and maybe beyond.  
So that puts in doubt port Mac and western Sydney as they surely couldn’t hold them without some decent competition from qlders 

16 hours ago, Prince said:

Qld has said border closed until at least September and maybe beyond.  
So that puts in doubt port Mac and western Sydney as they surely couldn’t hold them without some decent competition from qlders 

Hehehe. We are more than happy to have races without Queenslanders. It means the average IQ of all participants will be higher and less cheating. I am joking.

You guys are allowed to come here. We are just not allowed up there. This is a serious question. Can a Queenslander in the south east travel across the border to Tweed Heads for a surf or training and just return home without any restrictions?

Edited by Mr Flower
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

You guys are allowed to come here. We are just not allowed up there. This is a serious question. Can a Queenslander in the south east travel across the border to Tweed Heads for a surf or training and just return home without any restrictions?

Not sure on whether they can for something like that, but I know someone with a house in the area, and they were allowed to cross & come back without having to isolate because it is a low risk area. They had to apply for a "leave pass" prior to going, and stipulate where they were going & why.

53 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Hehehe. We are more than happy to have races without Queenslanders. It means the average IQ of all participants will be higher and less cheating. I am joking.

It would generally mean we wouldn’t be able to travel for any non essential activity I would think. Hopefully our premier will lift the border closures earlier than September. 
Surely it will help her chances or re-election.  

23 minutes ago, Prince said:

Surely it will help her chances or re-election.  

Maybe by then, but you'd be surprised how many people think it's the right thing to do at the moment.

We were at Kirra last weekend. The number of vehicles with border permits seemed pretty high. 
Even one on an old ladies mobility scooter thing. 
If the health emergency thing is now until mid August, as the Sunny Coast Mara cancellation says, I can’t see how we can open borders before then. 

Long course 2020 ITU worlds was cancelled (although they're spinning it differently). Scheduled worlds, including Townsville, slide a year:

"During a World Triathlon Board meeting held this Thursday, the Executive Board approved the postponement of the Multisport World Championships, due to be hosted in Almere (The Netherlands) from September 4 to September 13, 2020. The event will now take place in 2021, with dates to be confirmed at a later stage. The Multisport World Championships in Townsville (Australia) will subsequently move to 2022, while Ibiza (Spain) will now host the event in 2023".

https://almere.triathlon.org/2020/05/28/the-almere-multisport-world-championships-moved-to-2021/

Challenge Almere is still on, for now, although some changes are apparently in the works.

Edited by steve
  • Like 1

I can't see it here, Edmonton ITU Grand Final and Age Group Worlds (Sprint and Standard) 2020 cancelled.

One of the AGers said they are being refunded and offered spots on the 2021 team, which is Bermuda. 2022 will be Abu Dhabi.

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

I can't see it here, Edmonton ITU Grand Final and Age Group Worlds (Sprint and Standard) 2020 cancelled.

One of the AGers said they are being refunded and offered spots on the 2021 team, which is Bermuda. 2022 will be Abu Dhabi.

I assume that AGer was an International.  As far as I know, the Australian Team was never announced (not all of the qualifying races were run).  So none of the Australian athletes would have forked out any money

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

I assume that AGer was an International.  As far as I know, the Australian Team was never announced (not all of the qualifying races were run).  So none of the Australian athletes would have forked out any money

Nup, Australian. They must have taken a cut of the list and all of the paid up applications (yep, got to hand over money to be considered) for the team after Mooloolaba - that was the last standard distance run prior to lockdown. The northern hemisphere teams rarely fill (only M55-59 did for Lausanne) it's far too expensive.

Edited by MissJess

As suspected. The Newport Marathon that I trained for was postponed to Oct 25th, has now been kicked into 2021.  I can't see IM Wales happening.

Dear Runners,

We can today confirm that the 2020 ABP Newport Wales Marathon, 10K, scheduled for 25 October 2020 will be postponed to a new date of Sunday 18 April 2021.

Chief Executive, Matt Newman, explains the decision.

‘We have been closely monitoring the situation surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak and the guidance issued by the Government and it is now clear that it will not be possible to stage an event of this scale in the autumn.  

We would expect the Welsh Government to make further announcements in the coming months on a gradual return to a full sporting calendar and although lockdown restrictions have recently been eased in Wales, we understand there is no possibility of thousands of runners and spectators gathering safely in Newport on 25 October.

We are also conscious of the inter-dependency on various service providers for events of this size, including the availability of medical support services, volunteers, emergency services, transport and accommodation.

Having spent a significant amount of time talking with our sponsors, charity partners, Local Government and other key stakeholders, we have no choice but to make this difficult decision and have decided to communicate this now, to provide clarity to all’.

There are a number of options available to runners who are registered for the Marathon, 10K or Family Mile. Scroll down to see these in more detail, along with answers to a number of Frequently Asked Questions.

The Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon, scheduled for the 4 October has also been postponed. If you were registered for the race you will receive a separate communication. The Brecon Carreg Cardiff Bay Run is currently scheduled for 15 November 2020 and we will update runners if anything changes.

We thank you for your understanding in these difficult circumstances. Click ‘read more’ below to read our statement in full - which includes details on our plans around the safe return to events and the launch of some innovative new initiatives planned over the coming weeks including virtual races and a new membership scheme whilst we are all missing the buzz of major events.

On 23/03/2020 at 4:16 PM, Ayto said:

Shepparton Running Festival scheduled for 22/23 August is currently paused (ie not taking any further entries until further notice). I will make a decision re postponement and / or cancellation by 15 June based on circumstances at that time.

Unfortunately Shepparton Running festival has been cancelled.

I put a number of viable options to the committee in lieu of a full scale race, however they weren't prepared to take the risk.

• Thanks 1
On 22/05/2020 at 10:25 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:
On 22/05/2020 at 10:04 AM, Mr Flower said:

Not sure on whether they can for something like that, but I know someone with a house in the area, and they were allowed to cross & come back without having to isolate because it is a low risk area. They had to apply for a "leave pass" prior to going, and stipulate where they were going & why.

Hi Ex, I am not trying to be provocative, but when I saw that poor surfer killed by the shark yesterday I thought about my question and your answer. He was from the Gold Coast but was surfing on the Tweed.

39 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Hi Ex, I am not trying to be provocative, but when I saw that poor surfer killed by the shark yesterday I thought about my question and your answer. He was from the Gold Coast but was surfing on the Tweed.

Yeah, no idea. He was from Tugun, which butts up against the border, but still, this side. Maybe by showing he only travelled to Kingscliff, which is a non-risk area he is allowed home without having to quarantine.

Or he could paddle across the river mouth & meet mates that side of the border.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, no idea. He was from Tugun, which butts up against the border, but still, this side. Maybe by showing he only travelled to Kingscliff, which is a non-risk area he is allowed home without having to quarantine.

Or he could paddle across the river mouth & meet mates that side of the border.

It was actually at Salt, which is a bit further south 

8 minutes ago, -H- said:

It was actually at Salt, which is a bit further south 

I meant met his mates, hopped in their car & drove down. Not likely though.

5 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

What are the chances of Port and Cairns going ahead in September

Number of things have to be done...

1. Government regulations - there are no stages published beyond stage 3 which is 100 maximum and that was estimated in July.
  2. Triathlon Australia - there are a bunch of items that are mandatory to do by the race organiser, some of those are going to cost them extra to run the race, mostly around the sanitiser, PPE and trying to stop crowding (that race start is crazy crowded).
  3. Travel - we have that box ticked to move around freely in NSW, but there are a lot of people who come from QLD to race, so not sure what they will do there if they border is not open yet.

Also depends on what happens with the number of cases after the protests this weekend.

Edited by MissJess
4 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Excellent chance if all wear a BLM armband and call it a demonstration.

Seriously, if any post-protest clusters of community infection are effectively managed, I think both will proceed.

Apparently the TA president is confident Cairns will be goer. Word is she registered on the weekend.

Booked accomm & flights for the Hamilton Island tri this weekend, though I'm only swimming for the Mrs.  Never been there, it looks really nice.  Might do the Whitsunday swim as well.

Alice Springs Masters were cancelled, so she was chomping at the bit to find other events.

Huski duathlon also booked accomm.  Noosa as a team on the cards.  Port Stephens Trex interests me too, never done an offroad race, but 8km run is the sticking point.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I doubt that Cairns will happen. If it does it might be a Queenslander only event as there is no talk of opening the borders to other states.

In Melbourne we still don't have any pools open in the east even though they are able to open but none of them have reopened and don't have a reopen date as yet. It might be because all the pools I have access to also have a gym.

2 minutes ago, POT said:

In Melbourne we still don't have any pools open in the east even though they are able to open but none of them have reopened and don't have a reopen date as yet. It might be because all the pools I have access to also have a gym.

Two pools on the peninsula are open and they both have gyms attached (the gyms are still closed).  But PARC at Frankston is still closed and no firm date to re-open yet.

21 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Anyone have any inside info on Sunshine Coast going ahead or not?

That's the one I'm waiting for as well. I don't want to shell out for entry and accom until it looks a bit more certain. 

Lock down and iso provided an appreciation of how unimportant things like triathlon are. WIth a gravel bike some run shoes, zwift races and the odd run time trial, think I can get everything I need.

Australia is in a good place with no community transmission, but it only takes one super spreader event. Think I'll just keep on rolling in iso.

• Like 2