Ironman Virtual Racing

51 minutes ago, Peter said:

NZ could always allow you to come.  But you need to sit in a hotel for 14 days before the race

yup. Then 14 days when you return to your country.

23 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Taupo will happen, NZ borders will be open by then.

As a country that relies on tourism, keeping the borders closed will be financial suicide. If other countries borders are not open then transiting here may be a bit harder.

Most countries rely on tourism to a degree......some more than most.

Luck NZ and Australian are as dependant on tourism as some of the small Asian countries...ie: Bali. It’s absolutely smashing Indonesia.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Peter said:

So now there’s medals?  Wtf?

B3D78D51-0B88-4988-8F34-CBB22020855E.jpeg

I suddenly want to sign up.

Don't anyone tell Stikman there are medals though........

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

We live in a world where there are professional gamers, and you find this WTF?

Professional gamers are fine. 

instagram influencers however.  Wtf?  Haha

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

I can only post the photo.  
I don’t know the back story. 

It's just a PR thing by Ironman to give the Pro athletes a medal. 

7 hours ago, Peter said:

So now there’s medals?  Wtf?

B3D78D51-0B88-4988-8F34-CBB22020855E.jpeg

So, Ironman have the word "Challenge" all over their t-shirt & medal. I wonder what they'd do if Challenge even whispered the word "Ironman" at one of their events?

I don't mind a couple medals for PR for a company that is struggling during COVID-19, but the finisher's t-shirts (for a virtual SPRINT DUATHLON?!) are a bit too much:

image.thumb.png.f77e193cfcb8db2b90417cf44eddc792.png

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

I don't mind a couple medals for PR for a company that is struggling during COVID-19, but the finisher's t-shirts (for a virtual SPRINT DUATHLON?!) are a bit too much:

image.thumb.png.f77e193cfcb8db2b90417cf44eddc792.png

Personally I would never get one because I am just using them as a good motivator for training, but if it was someone who had been planning to do their first ever half and it got cancelled so they did this instead then I can see the appeal.

At times I think this site forgets how big an achievement some of these things are for the general public.  

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, POT said:

If I mentally walk myself through an ironman in preparation for a race, can I claim some kind of finishers medal.

Sure.  

On 19/04/2020 at 4:45 PM, Aidan said:

It's just a PR thing by Ironman to give the Pro athletes a medal. 

No longer.  Age groupers too. 

all finishers in the USA only can get medals.  Guessing as per usual they only care about yanks.  Makes a kona yank only event look possible. 

https://www.ironmanstore.com/vr-finisher-bundle

Edited by Peter
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Are any Trannies anyone signing up for the 17hr option IM distance VR event over the Kona weekend? I'm swinging between signing up and not blowing up the chance of a real race before Xmas. I guess this will be a state by state thing, but I'm interested to hear whether others are doing it and how they are going to structure the day. Also, how it fits into their plans for the summer.

Steve

3 minutes ago, sglowz said:

Are any Trannies anyone signing up for the 17hr option IM distance VR event over the Kona weekend? I'm swinging between signing up and not blowing up the chance of a real race before Xmas. I guess this will be a state by state thing, but I'm interested to hear whether others are doing it and how they are going to structure the day. Also, how it fits into their plans for the summer.

Steve

No where near fit enough to do it, but thinking about signing up in some capacity to it.  Not sure what the options really are to be honest?  I see something about 3 days or 7 days or something?

26 minutes ago, Toolish said:

No where near fit enough to do it, but thinking about signing up in some capacity to it.  Not sure what the options really are to be honest?  I see something about 3 days or 7 days or something?

Yep - I think they are the options with the order of the disciplines not fixed for the 7 day or 3 day version, and no requirement for the distance to be covered in one go in those versions either. I think in each option the swim can be swapped out for a run.

The ride doesn't have to be on Rouvy for any of the options.

I don't think my fitness is there, but it is not too bad. I was training for Cairns in the hope that ACT would be given the greenlight for QLD at the eleventh hour.

11 hours ago, Toolish said:

Yeah, I have signed up for the 7 day option. I am thinking I can do the swim in one session and the bike in one session, but the run will have to be split up to save my legs.

• The 7 day option starts (Sydney time) at 11am 5 Oct and finishes 10:59am 12 Oct - unlimited sessions swim or run, bike, run in any order.
  • The 3 day option starts (Sydney time) at 11am 9 Oct and finishes 10:59am 12 Oct - unlimited sessions swim or run, bike, run in any order.

There are two 17 hour options one for those who do not want to, or cannot swim, the other is the standard swim bike run. Must be done in 17 hours from the start of the first leg, and its in order.

5 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Where is that from, I had been looking for something like that and unable to find it!

I saw it on the Oceania Facebook page yesterday. The VC site does not have the information presented like that. :( 

10 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah, I have signed up for the 7 day option. I am thinking I can do the swim in one session and the bike in one session, but the run will have to be split up to save my legs.

• The 7 day option starts (Sydney time) at 11am 5 Oct and finishes 10:59am 12 Oct - unlimited sessions swim or run, bike, run in any order.

This above is the smart option.

Why do it in 17hours (and bust your legs for the next 2-3 months) for what is essentially a pointless race unless you are after there medals and VR t-shirt and want to post so all can see.

1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

This above is the smart option.

Why do it in 17hours (and bust your legs for the next 2-3 months) for what is essentially a pointless race unless you are after there medals and VR t-shirt and want to post so all can see.

No medals for Australians.