The IRONMAN Group's Response to COVID-19

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love their "Social Distancing" recommendations. I've seen their efforts in keeping cyclists 12m apart in a controlled environment. What hope have they got of this.

How about some personal responsibility here , no one made anyone go do the race, everyone had the same information as the event organisers. That week things evolved very quickly and the government had

Just when we thought the courses couldn't be made flatter and easier. Now we're suggesting qualifying for Kona by eliminating environmental conditions. The steepest gradient on the cycle will be

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Limited said:

Is it a good time to start winter fish or 100 runs in 100 days or a riding challenge to keep the motivation going? 

Excellent idea.

20 minutes ago, Prince said:

Does anyone hold up hope that Cairns will be later in this year?  What would happen with the 70.3 worlds at Taupo? 

It sure is hard to figure out a training program now. I don't know whether to restart a 14 week program or just do a lot of base training. 

I can't see Cairns being held any later than Oct, it gets too hot. It may still get qualification to Taupo if held in September or before. Assuming that things get better by then.

I can't see Port being held any earlier than Oct, still too cold. So likely to have qualification for 2021 Worlds. Again, assuming that things get better and any event actually goes ahead.

4 minutes ago, k3vski said:

I can't see Cairns being held any later than Oct, it gets too hot. It may still get qualification to Taupo if held in September or before. Assuming that things get better by then.

I can't see Port being held any earlier than Oct, still too cold. So likely to have qualification for 2021 Worlds. Again, assuming that things get better and any event actually goes ahead.

Looking on the bright side, it could well be likely that Busso full will take the Kona 2021 extra qualification spots for Cairns and Port, however, it could also mean Busso (assuming it goes ahead), will sell out early.  

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Tipping ironman will do a lottery for Taupo spots. 

I heard that Ironman have written to Hawaii Legacy qualifiers to ask if anyone wants to take a spot this year instead of waiting for a few years. Good way to clear the backlog.

I am happy to take a 70.3 World Champ Taupo spot if there is any on offer. Mrs F has got a spot so I will there anyway (if the race is on).

2 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

IronmanFoz will be annoyed. He was on fire. 

Just a touch. Was also heading to Batemans Bay next weekend and hoping to do some damage....but that’s postponed too.

May still head down there on the Saturday afternoon, do a run in Broulee on the Sunday then head up to Perisher for a few days and do a longish run up Kosciuszko.

Edited by IronmanFoz
8 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

I heard that Ironman have written to Hawaii Legacy qualifiers to ask if anyone wants to take a spot this year instead of waiting for a few years. Good way to clear the backlog.

I am happy to take a 70.3 World Champ Taupo spot if there is any on offer. Mrs F has got a spot so I will there anyway (if the race is on).

They should go to the state Triathlon Associations and find out who got the state championship gongs in each age group at Husky and give them a spot to Kona ;)

Wouldn’t that be cool 😎

• Haha 3
8 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

They should go to the state Triathlon Associations and find out who got the state championship gongs in each age group at Husky and give them a spot to Kona ;)

Wouldn’t that be cool 😎

As long as you can invite a training partner to join you.

22 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

As long as you can invite a training partner to join you.

Thats a given.

How can we find out what Ironmans plans are if Kona is still on but no one is able to qualify?

Edited by IronmanFoz
57 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Thats a given.

How can we find out what Ironmans plans are if Kona is still on but no one is able to qualify?

Leave it with me.  I have a few contacts in the states at Wtc. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Prince said:

Looking on the bright side, it could well be likely that Busso full will take the Kona 2021 extra qualification spots for Cairns and Port, however, it could also mean Busso (assuming it goes ahead), will sell out early.  

I dont think they can do that as there is only so many spots on the pier and busso is a 2021 qualifier and cairns and port should be back at their normal slots.

40 minutes ago, Peter said:

Mark me down for a spot thanks Pete. 

FM

3 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Mark me down for a spot thanks Pete. 

FM

I know I don’t want a spot.  The dollar is crap. 
that race kills a part of your soul.  
$1300 entry fee isn’t that good either. 

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Peter said:

Good man.....

Firstly tell them to look at the local results. We should be able to put a case forward.

And like MrFlower says..... I can’t go without him. During training, we cover each other’s every move. 

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Good man.....

Firstly tell them to look at the local results. We should be able to put a case forward.

And like MrFlower says..... I can’t go without him. During training, we cover each other’s every move. 

Hey remember me. I have the 860th fastest time in a Ironman this year.

can I have one of the 1800 qualifying slots.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Gilliga said:

Anyone else notice “we are working diligently to secure venues ...”

little cryptic there on potential location for the replacements if one gets up.

Reading too much into it.  

they have to re book with councils and permits.  Same locations. Just different dates.  If even possible.  

would be easier to just roll all entries to next year and walk away from this season 

• Thanks 1

Whilst my Port accomodation booking was listed as non refundable, I just received an email from the Real Estate contact noting they had received notification of the rescheduling of the race. It advised they will contact me in the coming weeks to work through the situation. Interesting. 

FM

• Like 2
5 hours ago, k3vski said:

Where is 2021 going to be?

5 hours ago, Limited said:

Is it a good time to start winter fish or 100 runs in 100 days or a riding challenge to keep the motivation going? 

Did a slowtwitch 100/100 last summer, t’was cool that it auto integrated Strava data into their log. Would be good motivation to try to get another roll going. I’d be up on the same rules.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilliga said:

Anyone else notice “we are working diligently to secure venues ...”

little cryptic there on potential location for the replacements if one gets up.

That line is in every notification of a race cancelled by Ironman. UTA, Cairns, Port etc. 

With mandatory periods of social isolation how is winter fish going to work? Public pools are likely to be closed. Swimming at public beaches might also be discouraged or even prohibited 

49 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

With mandatory periods of social isolation how is winter fish going to work? Public pools are likely to be closed. Swimming at public beaches might also be discouraged or even prohibited 

IP is looking good with his endless pool.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Andrew #1 said:

How big's your bath?

• Haha 1

Thinking I’ll sign up to sunny coast tomorrow. With all the winter races ‘postponed’, pretty sure it will be in hot demand. May not go ahead either, who knows. 

I wouldn’t be paying money to enter anything right now. 
Gold Coat Mara is probably the earliest QLD event that’s still a possibility. 
Even that’s optimistic I reckon. 

9 hours ago, Nick777 said:

How big's your bath?

I’ve actually got three swim jets in my pool. Still not powerful enough for a full swim workout, but ok for recovery and drills. ... so I could probably do a version of winter fish based on time, not distance ...

From Emo at Elite Energy

Dear Elite Energy Family,

Well, never in my life, would I have said I would need to be writing to you all about the current state of our sport, our business, our passion, my love for the sport of triathlon and where we are today, tomorrow and over the next few months of uncertainty.

This crazy thing they call COVID-19 has certainly rocked so many on so many levels.

With policies, decisions and ideas changing daily (and sometimes hourly), our team will do our best to keep our triathlon and running family informed and in front of any changes that may affect us all.

There will no doubt be some extremely tough decisions we as a company need to make over the coming weeks/months that will affect our staff and their families, many of our contractors and more importantly our athletes. Elite Energy is based in Nowra and over the past 4 months have been hit hard with fires, floods and now this damn virus. As a team we have no choice but to reduce hours and as you would understand will affect many of our Elite Energy families. We do ask for your understanding, patience and a little empathy during this period of difficult decisions and think about the long term effect this is having on so many - and the sports we all love.

Elite Energy has 4 triathlon events scheduled for the rest of this season and (as of today) we will decide 4 weeks from each event if we are able to proceed. We have already made the difficult decision to postpone Batemans Bay on 28 March. We know this is not the most favourable option, but as things are changing rapidly and we hope within a month (maybe for the better) these decisions will change.

We also ask you to understand that some of these decisions may be out of our control, with approvals from Police, Local and State Governments, Triathlon Australia, etc.

It is impossible to predict when this monster called COVID-19 will normalise, so as race directors we need to try and continue in our day to day operations, while at the same time prepare for what may happen. When we do have to make the tough decision to postpone an event, we have noticed on social media and via some emails that postponing is the "cheap way out". Of course this isn't the way. Can I say that nearly 90% of event costs are incurred 1 to 3 months out from race day, with most of the products ordered and services having been contracted. Postponing an event is not an easy decision and we would hope we are all in this together in finding the best possible solution, while at the same time accepting the fact that everyone has to forgo a little of their personal ideal situation.

As many of you may know, Elite Energy has always been one of the innovators in our sport and always willing to step outside the 'norm' to offer our athletes a more enjoyable experience. With this in mind, if we are able to proceed with any of our remaining events this season, below are some ideas we are considering to align with the policies being imposed by our authorities:

·         Keeping events (including spectators) under 450 (if it stays this way). We can run 2 or 3 events per day. 450 race at 7 am, another 450 at 10 am, etc and request athletes from the first race leave the area immediately after they finish;

·         During online registration (or once entries close) request how many spectators each athlete will bring;

·         Race bibs, stickers and timing chips (so no registration lines) will be mailed out

·         Rolling entry through transition - eg competitor numbers 1 to 50 7.00 am / 51 to 99 approx. 7.15 am and so on;

·         Request estimated athlete finishing times so we can start each athlete in order with an approx. 1-minute gap (rolling start);

·         Athletes to place their own timing chip into a bin at the finish line;

·         Sealed bottled water at the finish line, therefore no recovery or congregation;

·         Online awards and medals to be mailed out (no on-site presentation);

·         Hand sanitiser at every toilet;

·         On-site contracted toilet cleaners;

·         Hand wash facilities at all events;

·         Personal porta-loos (at the athlete's expense);

Please keep in mind these are just initial suggestions that may (or may not) be options during these difficult times - and all are an extra expense for the organisers.

If (or when) we get to a level of where we need to postpone events, Elite Energy will adopt the following options for athletes already registered:

·         Leave your entry to be automatically transferred to the new date (once this is decided). We will work with Council/Tourism and Triathlon Australia on new dates and also our contractors. Keep in mind that most other events being cancelled will want theirs in the (already crowded) later half of 2020;

·         If you have taken the Race Day Cancellation Insurance (RDCI), you can get a full refund;

·         If you have not taken the RDCI, during these unfortunate times we will relax our policy with the following:

·         Transfer to an event of equal or lesser value until the end of next season (June 2021) with NO TRANSFER CHARGE, or

·         Receive a % refund in line with Elite Energy's Refund and Transfer Policy. This percentage will be determined by the period of time prior to the original date, when it is announced that the event will be postponed. Refer to our Refund and Transfer Policy, and the event waiver agreement in your athlete registration account (Register Now) for more information.

Please keep in mind that considerable work has been done to enable these events to proceed with office staff, marketing, operational costs, online fees, etc. Again we appreciate your understanding and ask for your empathy during these difficult times.

Warmest regards,

EmoSignature4-38cbeb60f0b3c129.jpeg

Emo.
CEO Elite Energy Events

• Thanks 2
15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Good man.....

Don't forget your wingman either 😎

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Flanman said:

Looks like the Govt has reduced the gathering number from 500 to 100. 

FM

At this stage I think that's only for indoors, and it's still 500 for outdoors. I can see it reducing in the coming weeks/days though.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

On the bright side with UTA cancelled I can stop running up @#$%ing stairs 😀

Great for your run form though. 

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

Looks like the Govt has reduced the gathering number from 500 to 100. 

FM

Yes and not happy. I have my 50th party in 2 weeks and had to cancel as I hired a function room and have about 150 going 🤬. To be fair the function centre has been great keeping us informed and said they will probably be shut down anyway. 

if that’s the worst that will happen though I can’t complain. 

keep well everyone. 

NSF

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think ironman Oceania is going to have a bit of an easier time then North America and Europe, have 2 ironmans and a 70.3 impacted but overall we are nearly into the off season, the North American's and Europeans are about to hit tri season, so a lot of events cancelled and impacted big time.

The new policy of late. Fairytale dates in the future to keep $ as long as they can. All race directors are on the bandwagon. Townsville triathlon are still taking entries. Grubs.😡

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

The new policy of late. Fairytale dates in the future to keep $ as long as they can. All race directors are on the bandwagon. Townsville triathlon are still taking entries. Grubs.😡

Hey Chuckie. Are entries open for Frankston 2021 yet?

There's no way I'd ever actually be able to do an IM again, but yours is likely to get cancelled, so it's the perfect one for me. :)

• Haha 1

I realised while running home last night, the way the year is looking, this could be my first year of not doing an ironman since 1987 and of not running an ultra since 1986.

Feels like a chapter of my life is closing. It's a peculiar feeling. :unsure:

36 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I realised while running home last night, the way the year is looking, this could be my first year of not doing an ironman since 1987 and of not running an ultra since 1986.

Paul, I had my bad accident in 2008, which saw me not do any races in 2009. I started competitive sport in 1968. I am still doing races now - 2020 whilst only missing 2009. So, you can't cop out now. You just have a season off like I did - TWELVE YEARS AGO.

Sorry amigo, nice try.

FM

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

That would be such a shame but jeez, what a palmares.

Remember hobbling down to a bike pick up one morning after at Forster and seeing this long haired dude running and thinking a spectator from the day before. Except said spectator heads in to collect a bike. Have appreciated your work ever since Paul.

You could always fat ass an IM

• Like 1