When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?

When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last do an Ironman or Iron Distance Tri?

• I've never done an Ironman or Iron Distance triathlon
    • I last did one in 2019
    • I last did one in 2018
    • I last did one in 2017
    • I last did one in 2016
    • I last did one in 2015
    • It's been over 5 years since I last did an Ironman or Iron Distance triathlon

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

2 Ironmans last year and my two worst. 

Lining up for Port no 22. In May and 29th overall.

Impressive.  

With Port what years do you get the free entry?

I know it's 11th and 16th. 

Whats after they and when do they start paying you to turn up?

On ‎4‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 9:20 AM, Chuckie M said:

Cairns 2018. I am trying to get Ironman Frankston for 2020 off the Ground. week long event Pros on March 15th, AG race on 22nd.....😂😂

a bit of rain today in Frankston. it could be off?🤨

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Peter said:

Impressive.  

These days its just for your 16th. Never got one for 11th. There were only a handful that got that ...too many people coming through.

11 hours ago, Peter said:

For my 20th I got a glass clock and no free entry. 

For the 25th they get a massive trophy/cup that stands about 2 feet tall. No idea of any free entry for 26th.

I guess buy this stage they assume your coming back.

I was going to take a year off after 15th....ahhh but that free entry and then your on your way to 20th.

The bad thing about doing heaps...the race becomes a number chase....and hence... the last race I did without injury was 2013. 

Hoping for an injury free 8 weeks ahead. So far so good. won Husky on the weekend (50-54) and got Batemans bay coming up in 3 weeks.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Clarkevitch said:

Fark that Melbourne swim looks scary....how many didn't make it out of the water that day??

Bloody hell.

Last IM 2012...never say never.

A fair few got pulled out from memory, but everyone made it out one way or another!

12 hours ago, Clarkevitch said:

Fark that Melbourne swim looks scary....how many didn't make it out of the water that day??

Bloody hell.

Last IM 2012...never say never.

I know this thread isn't about IM Melbourne 2013 but to give context to the previous video this screen shot from the official IM swim hightlights shows the problem - it was a straight out and back course (a big triathlon course no-no) and with the inevitable swell of the bunch there were bound to be problems.  Bringing this all back confirms that I don't think I will ever do another race without wave starts.

IM2013 swim.JPG

Looking at that picture, it seems the buoys were placed badly.  Maybe the people placing them, didn't understand which direction the swimmers were coming from.

Having 2 buoys one after the other doesn't make sense. If you had a left turn and then swam 30 metres to the next buoy before turning left again, it would have resolved a lot of the issues.

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

...- it was a straight out and back course (a big triathlon course no-no) ...

Why is it a big no-no?

8 minutes ago, iFoz said:

Why is it a big no-no?

You should have the swimmers turn 2 x 90 degree turns with a bit of distance between them. This separates the swimmers going in each direction from each other. If it is a single 180 degree turn, then you only have to drift 1m off line & you are swimming straight into someone coming the other way.

31 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You should have the swimmers turn 2 x 90 degree turns with a bit of distance between them. This separates the swimmers going in each direction from each other. If it is a single 180 degree turn, then you only have to drift 1m off line & you are swimming straight into someone coming the other way.

In short, you have to avoid head on collisions so the turn needs to be super wide or as EH says 2 x 90 degree turns.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Additionally, having them swim straight out & back makes it super easy for West Australians to simply turn early when swimming into a group coming the other way. ;)

• Haha 1

I had to wait until I was in my 60's and had enough time to train before I did my first IM. It was hard on the body at that age but after the second one I felt I needed to pace myself for the rest of my life and not burn myself out.  I was glad of the experience and the fact that i could coach and train myself to do them; but ultimately it was the law of diminishing returns that led to ceasing those long training sessions and giving away the challenge.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Challenge Shepparton has an M shaped course where you turn back on yourself like this.  It is in a lake though so that makes it a bit simpler.

Im Melb 2013 was a s shortened swim so I think the course set up was a bit rushed.

I completed 2 x IM and 1 x 70.3, which was enough to get my bronze frequent Ironman card😀

Like IronmanFoz I am chasing the number. I am one of 7 that have completed all 16 IMWA. Number 17 IMWA for me this year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I completed 2 x IM and 1 x 70.3, which was enough to get my bronze frequent Ironman card😀

Like IronmanFoz I am chasing the number. I am one of 7 that have completed all 16 IMWA. Number 17 IMWA for me this year.

See you there!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Do you feel like you can’t stop? 

given you have the joint record? 

have you done any other Ironman’s?

7 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

Brilliant that you have done every one since the start. 

21 hours ago, Peter said:

given you have the joint record? 

have you done any other Ironman’s?

I feel like I can not stop, plus a mate who has also completed all of them would give me @#$% if I stopped.

I have only been unfaithful to IMWA once - Kona last year.

• Like 2
On 05/03/2020 at 11:44 AM, Peter said:

Impressive.  

16th only.

At least for those of us who followed the guys like Dave, Bob and Dick who at one stage had done all of them. Whether they received a freebie for their 11th, I have no idea. They did receive Kona spots after 15 years.

On 05/03/2020 at 11:44 AM, Peter said:

I'll tell you if I ever find out.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Like 1

Port 2012 for me.  That was my Eleventh.  I’ve thought about coming back to do do the twelfth so I could qualify for a legacy spot but the thought of having to do at least another 3 or more after that to get it has turned me off.

• Like 1
On 05/03/2020 at 11:08 PM, IronmanFoz said:

I guess buy this stage they assume your coming back.

Yes, though there's definitely some nice acknowledgement to the Legends, particularly with Friday's Legend Lunch. It's my favourite part of the weekend at Port, catching up with people whose lives have intermittently intersected with yours for decades.

Ken ensured certain things were in place as his post-Race Director influence waned.

On 05/03/2020 at 11:08 PM, IronmanFoz said:

The bad thing about doing heaps...the race becomes a number chase....and hence... the last race I did without injury was 2013.

So true about injury. I've been managing injury since not too long after the 2012 race, my 25th IM Aust. It was then my body finally couldn't absorb the training that allowed me race long.

On 06/03/2020 at 5:28 PM, Peter said:

For me, I certainly feel like I can stop.

I actually did stop after completing 25, though only for 11 months. Then there was an email to Ken asking if I could come back for 26. After nearly a year of not having IM on my mental radar, not gearing any training with IM as a consideration, and not running any significant ultras, I eventually decided I wasn't ready to make the break from IM Aust.

It's not so much that I feel like I can't stop, more that I just want to be certain that I've made the right decision to stop.

These days, for most of the year, I really don't give a crap about IM, and the decision to do Port is a year-by-year proposition. And yes, having a long streak of finishes strongly weighs on the decision to return. There is a feeling for me that I'd giving away something that's been an enjoyable part of nearly my whole adult life. There is a feeling of a certain investment there, and that it would draw to a close a chapter of my life.

Over the last few years when I arrive in Port, my feeling is "I'm happy that this is still a part of my life". When that reaction disappears, I will too.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Ironnerd said:

I feel like I can not stop, plus a mate who has also completed all of them would give me @#$% if I stopped.

I have only been unfaithful to IMWA once - Kona last year.

So trapped? 

I think its awesome For guys like you and Paul etc...  

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Oh you are one of those people. 

I took the race stickers off my bike about 17 years after my last IM.

But then again, that was the next time I rode it. :)

ps: It was also when I took the last remaining pieces of PowerBar off the top tube. I don't know how we ate that stuff. Not even the rats in the shed ate it in all that time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Peter said:

Oh you are one of those people. 

I think Jesus said: Let he has never used an IM finishers towel at the local pool or worn Ironman branded clothing at a Park Run throw the first stone!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I think Jesus said: Let he has never used an IM finishers towel at the local pool or worn Ironman branded clothing at a Park Run throw the first stone!

If I ever did another Ironman, Id wear a parkrun shirt for the run.

Mind you, I'd need to get to 50 to get a shirt.  Still a few short.