Do you do weights?

Do you do weights (can pick multiple answers)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do weights

• Yes upper body
    • Yes lower body
    • Yes all over body weights
    • Yes but only in off season
    • Yes all year round
    • Nope. Just swim bike run

8 hours ago, Dalai said:

I've been planning on doing weights again to slow muscle mass through aging and for general health by converting the 3*3m studio in the back yard into a small home gym. I finally stopped procrastinating around the time of this topic but stock of home gym equipment was out globally due to the pandemic! I placed a Notify me when back in stock on a particular half rack I decided upon and forgot about it... 

Couple of months ago out of the blue it came back into stock for less than an hour and was sold out whilst I was remeasuring the space... Another Notify me placed and ordered immediately a few days later when a few more were listed as available.

During the last couple of months, I fitted the small wall air-conditioner, retractable fly screen, 2 layers of 15mm ply over 2mm acoustic foam and lastly 15mm rubber tiles. Sunday morning the last tile went down and I could bolt the rack together!

IronMaster IM1500 included the bench and 115kg Olympic plates
150kg Power Maxx Bumper plates
Spud Inc pulley kit
Dynafit dumbbells I've had for 30+ years
Kettlebells 12, 20, 28kg I bought a few years ago

Looking forward to christening the space later today.

1342945963_StudioGym.thumb.jpg.d01bac30a03a5153e405c0f6a99699e9.jpg

Definite extra motivation to get fitter was putting on my old weight belt I used during my Uni years yesterday and had to use 4 notches larger! 

Nice set up. Plenty of options exercise wise. Are you planning on doing any leg exercises? A small step bench would be a simple Addition to give you the option to do step ups, calf’s, and a shit load of other body weight exercises. Add carrying a dumbbell when you are doing some of those exercises and you can have hours of fun! Lol. Hope it went well today.

14 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Nice set up. Plenty of options exercise wise. Are you planning on doing any leg exercises? A small step bench would be a simple Addition to give you the option to do step ups, calf’s, and a shit load of other body weight exercises. Add carrying a dumbbell when you are doing some of those exercises and you can have hours of fun! Lol. Hope it went well today.

The bench could be used

Oh steel how I've missed thee! Just in from finishing my first session since my uni years. Although much was bar only or a little extra, it was wonderful to be back. Lifted very consistently through my uni years in the windowless Dungeon at VUT then on another year or so afterwards but didn't have the spare cash for a gym membership as I was climbing close to full time.

@Greyman Starting back with basic lifts loosely following Starting Strength. So large muscle group exercises with Squat, bench, bent over row, Deadlift, military press and dumbbell curls to finish.

Phase 2 will be a marine ply lifting platform on the patio in front of the Studio and I could make a small step box too. Can't use the current bench inside @Fitness Buddy, as the roof is too low unfortunately. 

25 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Oh steel how I've missed thee! Just in from finishing my first session since my uni years. Although much was bar only or a little extra, it was wonderful to be back. Lifted very consistently through my uni years in the windowless Dungeon at VUT then on another year or so afterwards but didn't have the spare cash for a gym membership as I was climbing close to full time.

@Greyman Starting back with basic lifts loosely following Starting Strength. So large muscle group exercises with Squat, bench, bent over row, Deadlift, military press and dumbbell curls to finish.

Phase 2 will be a marine ply lifting platform on the patio in front of the Studio and I could make a small step box too. Can't use the current bench inside @Fitness Buddy, as the roof is too low unfortunately. 

As fitness buddy said, the bench could be used,  but like you, I thought the roof a bit low but it’s hard to tell from a pic. That’s a good starting group of exercises. Think about adding a tricep exercise to balance it out. 

Roof at the highest point is only 2.3m. Will check to confirm but do think it will too low.

Thanks for the training suggestion. I was thinking the two presses utilise the triceps enough to start. But will look at adding and mixing things up and consider supersets down the track which I was using previously.

Edited by Dalai
1 hour ago, Dalai said:

SOLEUS LOADING this is an option I am currently using as cannot access a smith machine  - https://www.instagram.com/p/CGHllkABopS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

TRIPLE EXTENSION CALF LOADING using squat rack and bench in flat position  https://www.instagram.com/p/B3sQCN5h-X_/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am currently in 3 weeks quarantine. This is my "gym". The water bottles make good light weight dumb bells. I have another 5 bottles in my backpack for when I do leg exercises.

Gym.thumb.jpg.e3221362bb04604b8a38a74121090c8a.jpg

• Like 4
17 hours ago, more said:

It was clearly a joke...

That's the thing. You have been carrying on for months about how horrible the restrictions are in Melbourne (I won't say lockdown as we've always been able to get outside to exercise). If you have had a job through this, the experience has been tough but manageable for most.

Yet above is a post from Ironnerd who is locked inside for 3 weeks in a foreign country, making do with what they have at hand and you thought making a joke at their expense was the ideal response.  I don't know them but would personally find actually being locked inside far tougher than our months of restrictions... I also don't know the reason for their quarantine in a foreign country. Could be just a requirement of reentry, could be someone they work with is positive and is a precaution or worse they may be positive! Given that I think it was better to be positive and have empathy for their situation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Dalai said:

That's the thing. You have been carrying on for months about how horrible the restrictions are in Melbourne (I won't say lockdown as we've always been able to get outside to exercise). If you have had a job through this, the experience has been tough but manageable for most.

Yet above is a post from Ironnerd who is locked inside for 3 weeks in a foreign country, making do with what they have at hand and you thought making a joke at their expense was the ideal response.  I don't know them but would personally find actually being locked inside far tougher than our months of restrictions... I also don't know the reason for their quarantine in a foreign country. Could be just a requirement of reentry, could be someone they work with is positive and is a precaution or worse they may be positive! Given that I think it was better to be positive and have empathy for their situation.

For the last 3 years I have been working FIFO to Mongolia, 4 weeks on / 2 weeks off back to Australia. For the last 6 months I have been "stuck" in Australia WFH. At the start of October I flew back to Mongolia. Fortunately for me Mongolia dropped its quarantine period down from 5 weeks to 3 weeks in September. Once I get out of quarantine I will have ~100 days on the mine site. Hopefully I will then fly back to Australia for another 2 weeks quarantine. 

Quarantine has not been too bad. The food is good, but barely lukewarm. I work a 12 hour day, do some exercise, talk to the family, go to bed. Ground hog day.

Half way through quarantine I managed to hire a bike and a trainer. No speedo, cadence or power. Being able to do some aerobic exercise has really lifted my spirits. The power of exercise.

I do not read anything that "more" posts. My advice is Don't feed the troll.

Thanks for the positive thoughts and concern.😀

Өдрийг сайхан өнгөрүүлээрэй

• Like 3

FB -  Ive got a question re KB swings if you dont mind helping out. Ive previously worked with 2 PT's & neither have shown me what Im doing wrong because KB swings hurt my lower back. I dont do them anymore or train with a PT

Any tips would be appreciated 

Cheers

• Like 1

This topic has had some editing by me. 

Again it's an example of timing of a joke. It's ok to crack a joke here and there, but pick your time and topic. There was no need for about 5 or 6 of those posts going back and forwards. 

It's probably a good lesson, just because someone calls you out doesnt mean you need to turn it into a fight/disagreement that takes over a thread that had some good info. 

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

FB -  Ive got a question re KB swings if you dont mind helping out. Ive previously worked with 2 PT's & neither have shown me what Im doing wrong because KB swings hurt my lower back. I dont do them anymore or train with a PT

Cheers

Be interested too. I actually bought mine as I wanted a 20kg weight to calculate my powermeter slope (have since bought a calibrated 20kg weight) and haven't used them for their intended purpose!

• Like 1
On 22/10/2020 at 6:28 AM, Surfer said:

Cheers

As I am on the trainer for a few hours i will answer this today. 

Part 1- context

First questions is why are you doing kettlebell swings?  Did the pt give a reason why you were doing them?  There are a few exercises pts give that are basically used to fatigue you rather then benefit you performance why.  Go to any bootcamp or group session and you will always see burpees, jump squats or box jumps and kettlebell swings.  They are too fatigue you to give the sense of you have trained but in essence you have just got tired.  There is a Difference between training and working out. Training is progessive, part of a plan.  Based on performance not fatigue.  

Also the exercise is often done on the basis on time and high reps it isnt a high rep exercise it is meant to be a power based exercise

Part 2 - The Technique 

If you are experiencing back pain performing a KB swing there is a few reasons. No.1 would be you a lumbar extending ratherv then hip extending so most likely have a poor hinge pattern so generating force through extension at the lumbar spine.  This is also seen in runners when running faster they try to manufacture hip extension via lumbar extension. No.2 poor lower abdominal strength and control of the hips these two work together.  Controlling the pelvis to not go posterior or in the eccentric phase excessive anterior pelvic tilt (women tend to already possess an APT and exaggerate this in any movement that invloves the hip - think the girls taking ass pics)

On the upper body side the tendency is to lift the weight with arms rather then generate momentum from a powerful/rapid hip movement. 

Takeaways if given back pain just dont do the exercise based on now context of the WHY. 

If strength training for running or triathlon focus on loading for strength rather then loading for conditioning (conditioning is your swimming, cycling and running) strength training is your not for strength of muscles but also aim to maintain tendon siffness which is super important as we age.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

As I am on the trainer for a few hours i will answer this today. 

Part 1- context

First questions is why are you doing kettlebell swings?  Did the pt give a reason why you were doing them?  There are a few exercises pts give that are basically used to fatigue you rather then benefit you performance why.  Go to any bootcamp or group session and you will always see burpees, jump squats or box jumps and kettlebell swings.  They are too fatigue you to give the sense of you have trained but in essence you have just got tired.  There is a Difference between training and working out. Training is progessive, part of a plan.  Based on performance not fatigue.  

Also the exercise is often done on the basis on time and high reps it isnt a high rep exercise it is meant to be a power based exercise

Part 2 - The Technique 

If you are experiencing back pain performing a KB swing there is a few reasons. No.1 would be you a lumbar extending ratherv then hip extending so most likely have a poor hinge pattern so generating force through extension at the lumbar spine.  This is also seen in runners when running faster they try to manufacture hip extension via lumbar extension. No.2 poor lower abdominal strength and control of the hips these two work together.  Controlling the pelvis to not go posterior or in the eccentric phase excessive anterior pelvic tilt (women tend to already possess an APT and exaggerate this in any movement that invloves the hip - think the girls taking ass pics)

On the upper body side the tendency is to lift the weight with arms rather then generate momentum from a powerful/rapid hip movement. 

Takeaways if given back pain just dont do the exercise based on now context of the WHY. 

If strength training for running or triathlon focus on loading for strength rather then loading for conditioning (conditioning is your swimming, cycling and running) strength training is your not for strength of muscles but also aim to maintain tendon siffness which is super important as we age.  

Thanks FB, lots of info in here.  So I should focus on the weakness that the KB swings  have highlighted instead of doing the KB swings?

And yep, burpees, box jumps & squat jumps were always part of tbe PTs routine 😊

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Thanks FB, lots of info in here.  So I should focus on the weakness that the KB swings  have highlighted instead of doing the KB swings?

And yep, burpees, box jumps & squat jumps were always part of tbe PTs routine 😊

It appears you had a pt who obviously was doing generic programming.  

Tell me why you are or want to be doing a kettlebell swing.  Give me some context.  Are you strength training for triathlon or running or for crossfit? 

Below is a pic highlighting the forces of running gait of the muscles used.  

Many athletes run based i see have weak plantar flexors and weak hamstrings not weak glutes. 

20201022_112018.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Fitness Buddy said:

It appears you had a pt who obviously was doing generic programming.  

Tell me why you are or want to be doing a kettlebell swing.  Give me some context.  Are you strength training for triathlon or running or for crossfit? 

Below is a pic highlighting the forces of running gait of the muscles used.  

Many athletes run based i see have weak plantar flexors and weak hamstrings not weak glutes. 

20201022_112018.jpg

Thanks FB - I was doing some PT sessions to see if I like it. I think youre right re the generic stuff. The kb swings were part of the sessions yet they always left me with a sore back. Ive seen so many people do them & I was told theyre good for making the posteria chain strong. So I tried them out. My interest is to look after myself as I get older

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply 

Cheers

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Thanks FB - I was doing some PT sessions to see if I like it. I think youre right re the generic stuff. The kb swings were part of the sessions yet they always left me with a sore back. Ive seen so many people do them & I was told theyre good for making the posteria chain strong. So I tried them out. My interest is to look after myself as I get older

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply 

Cheers

To look after yourself focus on load withlow rep actual strength.

Happy to put together something.  

• Thanks 1