Do you do weights?

Do you do weights (can pick multiple answers)  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do weights

• Yes upper body
    • Yes lower body
    • Yes all over body weights
    • Yes but only in off season
    • Yes all year round
    • Nope. Just swim bike run

No but that's about to change, my riding has platued a bit.

I did core & strength work once a week for my Ironman Texas prep & noticed it made a big difference esp in the back end of the marathon.

I did a 1hr session a week with a PT (not a group class)

We worked on inbalances, strength and flexibility.

I do now 2x/week, and if I had done this from the start, would not have ended up with the knee problems I did IMO.

Essential if you are naturally ectomorph.

Hip/glute/hammies/calfs/core/lower back are most important I think for stabilising knees & ankles and reducing the chance of over-use injury.  Quads not so critical as cycling does them.

And I'm just so much stronger for everyday tasks now too than when I only did swim/bike/run/pushups/crunches. And my cycling strength is much better, which compensates for my loss of aerobic capacity due to doing much less tri training these days.

Best exercises for triathletes IMO:

• Deadlift (work everything)
  • Kettlebell swing (glutes, hammies, hips)
  • Belgium squats (glutes, hammies, hips)
  • Single leg deadlifts (glutes, hammies, hips)
  • Battlerope (work everything)
  • Calf raises on a ledge (calves)
  • Balance platform (glutes, hammies, hips, quads)

I also do upper - bench press, chinups, pullups, upright row, rowing, lat pulldown.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

My partner dragged me to reformer pilates 4x a week and it solved so many issues for me

Absolute workout and helped my knees incredibly 

Can not recommend it enough 

32 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I do strength work. 

What about you Peter? 

I used to do TRX twice a week but now switching to weights.  First session yesterday.

Just did upper body but man it takes a lot of time. 

I did up until about a year ago. I spent Sunday swinging a chainsaw around, and boy do I notice the difference. I've got aches in places I didn't know could ache.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I used to do TRX twice a week but now switching to weights.  First session yesterday.

Considering you have the body of a fat Mr Burns, you should be doing weights.

Was doing weights for 6 months when I was only running. And my running was improving. Stopped weights this year as started swimming and biking. And have been getting some niggles on the run. Don’t think it’s a coincidence. 

31 minutes ago, Kenneth said:

Was doing weights for 6 months when I was only running. And my running was improving. Stopped weights this year as started swimming and biking. And have been getting some niggles on the run. Don’t think it’s a coincidence. 

Yep, combining all 4 is a task I find very very difficult. 

7 hours ago, Horowitz said:

My partner dragged me to reformer pilates 4x a week and it solved so many issues for me

Absolute workout and helped my knees incredibly 

Can not recommend it enough 

Pilates, yoga or some sort of slow, controlled, proprioceptive movement with proper technique and muscle control should be non-negotiable for anyone who does more daily physical activity than getting out of bed. 

Guest Jim Shortz

No I don't do weights. 

I'm bulimic. Diagnosis given a week ago. 

Anything that has a potential to put weight on my body is not done. I train to control my eating disorder. 

I see the need for it. I think it is essential after 40yrs old. 

My physio has told me to work on glutes and hip flexors, especially the right to deal with an imbalance. My coach agrees and has also added single leg work. It now happens year round.  

2 minutes ago, MissJess said:

My physio has told me to work on glutes and hip flexors, especially the right to deal with an imbalance. My coach agrees and has also added single leg work. It now happens year round.  

Strengthen below the knee more important. If the plantar flexors are weak everything above is trying pick up the slack in trying to create propulsion forward. In most cases the glutes aren't weak they are working too hard. 

19 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Strengthen below the knee more important. If the plantar flexors are weak everything above is trying pick up the slack in trying to create propulsion forward. In most cases the glutes aren't weak they are working too hard. 

My wife has Plantar Fascia issues, has been told to do glute bridges etc.  Would the lower leg advice apply to her too?

40 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

I always thought for knee issues, you strength above the chain - so the hips / glutes.  That's what I did (all bodies are different and have different weaknesses) and I haven't had any knee issues in years.  Now all my issues are feet related so I've been doing heaps of slow calf raises.  I've started doing slow sled pulls, concentrating on putting load through the PF...

13 minutes ago, Toolish said:

My wife has Plantar Fascia issues, has been told to do glute bridges etc.  Would the lower leg advice apply to her too?

See another physio.  PF breaks down because you have overloaded the capacity of which it can handle. 

So you need to rebuild the capacity gradually.  Get PF Fighter and start calf raising.  You can do all the bridges in the world it ain't going change how the PF handles load.  

Note every situation is different as other factors to consider too like weight, lifestyle, footwear, exercise, diabetes. 

No magic cure but a lot consistency and patience.  Off loading the PF during day to day activities also will help.  Rest doesn't work 

I do Reformer Pilates and other Strength and Conditioning exercises.  Pilates uses the different strength springs. Some of my S&C exercises use bands and others use body weight.

Definitely, as the years race by (now 55) its needed. Only do upper body, 4-5 times as figure legs get enough but will introduce some squats and deadlifts. Have all the gear, benches, free weights/bars, multi station gym, squat rack etc at home so its easy to do bits and pieces at all hours of the day. I go to hang out the washing and 'disappear' for 20mins and do some bench press or chin ups etc. If I had to find time to go to a gym 3-4 times a week, it wouldn't happen. Over the years, off Gumtree, garage sales and a few shop specials have accumulated more than enough gear so I dont need to swap plates around too often.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rob said:

I do Reformer Pilates and other Strength and Conditioning exercises.  Pilates uses the different strength springs. Some of my S&C exercises use bands and others use body weight.

Isn’t that the new name for bondage?

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, SomeTri said:

^^^ Doesn't do much for you shoulder stability 😉

Is there a chronic shoulder stability issue out there in the population?

58 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Is there a chronic shoulder stability issue out there in the population?

There is in this population here. Sample size =1. :)

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There is in this population here. Sample size =1. :)

I suppose that is a valid answer. Most running injuries come from over reaching, doing too much too soon. Normally, intensity from people who rarely run 40 km a week or people who run 30 K a week with a long run of 20 plus Ks.

As for shoulders, was it a swimming thing or injury from something else

3 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

I suppose that is a valid answer. Most running injuries come from over reaching, doing too much too soon. Normally, intensity from people who rarely run 40 km a week or people who run 30 K a week with a long run of 20 plus Ks.

As for shoulders, was it a swimming thing or injury from something else

Swimming thing, combined with long days with a shovel, mattock and crowbar when I was supposed to be resting the shoulder.

On 3 March 2020 at 2:22 PM, Peter said:

If you're in the gym for more than 45 mins, you're not being efficient with your workout. Stop posing and chatting up the girls. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Greyman said:

If you're in the gym for more than 45 mins, you're not being efficient with your workout. Stop posing and chatting up the girls. 

Trx goes for 30 mins. 

1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Or have no plan.  

18 minutes ago, The Customer said:

How else are your glutes gonna fire with symmetrical precision unless you do you daily planks? 

get back to your one leg calf raises😂

On 03/03/2020 at 11:22 AM, Peter said:

How did you find the TRX? My first session I fell flat on my face when the door opened, as I had not locked it 😀. My second session was better, though I feel that there is not enough resistance so I have to do a lot of reps. 

I like it but feel its too Slow. 90 seconds x 6. Two times.  With 30 second break between. 

id rather 60 seconds x 6 three times through 

• 7 months later...