Hill Repeats for Marathon prep - how long?

Hey guys,

Over the last 8 years I've gotten amazing running advice from some threads here and was hoping to get a bit more wisdom

How long should hill repeats be for marathon training? I can't find anything online regarding distances

Is it better to do 400m flat out, or something that's 1.5-2.0km at 80%? 

Thanks

I found a great section of forest running that had an average incline of about 3%, but went on for about 1km. It started steeper, for about 200m, then levelled out to a slight incline for the next 800m. It was great as an end bit of my run, to really push it out as hard as I could, but I've done as reps (4 or 5) working the steep bit real hard then holding form at still a hard pace for the 800m. Recovery would be jog down the easy bit & walk the steep bit, turn around & go again.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Clarkevitch said:

Don't reckon the Africans do hill repeats.

I don't know if they do or don't, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Hill repeats are strength sessions.  They also help with technique - hip and body position.

I use lots of different types of hills. Short (ie. 30m) steep hills, longer 500m hills between 5 and 8% gradient.  I'm typically looking anywhere from 15 to 30 mins of actual hill climbing, usually within a 50 to 60 min run session.  Note, with the short hills, I might do 10 repeats then an easy 1km recovery and repeat (3 or 4 times).  Pace of the hill climb would depend on the length. Hard effort up the very short climbs, and more like Half Marathon effort up the longer climbs (ie. the pace you would run up if that hill was in the middle of half marathon).

I try to schedule a hill session every 2 to 3 weeks. If your race has lots of hills, you may want to do more. Also it would help to practice the descents as they can overload the quads.

• Like 1
On 24/02/2020 at 7:12 PM, Clarkevitch said:

Unless there's hills in the marathon, why do hill repeats at all??

Maybe just do an easy trail run once a week instead for 60mins-90mins.

Don't reckon the Africans do hill repeats.

My training programme for 2 Oceans (Cape Town) has hill sessions.  Generally in terms of time, not steepness.  eg. 2km warm up, then 4 x 3 mins hills,  job back. etc.  3/4/5min hills are quite long.  

• Like 1
On 24/02/2020 at 9:12 PM, Clarkevitch said:

Unless there's hills in the marathon, why do hill repeats at all??

Can't think of too many hills on the track, but Herb did alright. 

Image result for running sand dunes landy

ETA: Hey @Bored@work, that's not your old mate training him there is it?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Turtle said:

My training programme for 2 Oceans (Cape Town) has hill sessions.  Generally in terms of time, not steepness.  eg. 2km warm up, then 4 x 3 mins hills,  job back. etc.  3/4/5min hills are quite long.  

Good way to view it - and as you get stronger the distance just increases itself I guess