Jump to content

Formula One 2020


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Love car racing and motorbike racing. Always have, since I was a kid. My two brothers and I, were taken to our first car race at Warwick Farm when we were 9. I still remember the sound of Moffats Coca

Criticising Danny is un-Australian And calling him white minimises his Italian heritage  You un-Australian racist 

And that's fine too @IronmanFoz. Everyone gets enjoyment out of different things and motor racing isn't yours. 

Posted Images

The mercs look good again. Bottas has a new Aussie girlfriend who to a trade team rider, so I expect he will be racing with more vigor this year. Nothing like trying to impress the new missus to give a driver an extra few seconds a lap in pace. 

Vercrashen has had his tyres pumped up a fair bit over summer so I expect he will either win it or bin in the first 4 races this year before he gets told to calm down. 

Renault will be hit or miss all year. Riccardo has a rest engineer this year and I expect they will get the handle on the car quickly at each track than last year. Occorn his team mate will be quick but frustrated all year. It will be a language barrier mainly that will see him start the year slower than Daniel. Once he gets a level of communication with the engineers watch him improve dramatically. 

Ferrari are the dark horses at present. Their cars have higher top speed on straight a ways at present. The struggle between the four time champion and a possible future champion will hold the team back again this year. 

Haas have ordered another truck load of tissues for Grosgen to see out his final year in F1. 

Test driver tip of the year will be Mick Doohans boy getting a shot test driving for Toro Rosso or whatever their huge big name is this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Greyman said:

The mercs look good again. Bottas has a new Aussie girlfriend who to a trade team rider, so I expect he will be racing with more vigor this year. Nothing like trying to impress the new missus to give a driver an extra few seconds a lap in pace. 

He is dating Tiffany Cromwell. He's seems to be a nice guy. Jumps in the local bunch rides when he was in Radelaide & raced a couple of crits.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2020 at 5:57 AM, Naut said:

Such a great series.

Renault is looking like a disaster again this year.

Why? Are they still running Honda engines? A shitload of DNFs last year..

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zed said:

Why? Are they still running Honda engines? A shitload of DNFs last year..

Read why Cyril is saying in the media, they are already making excuses. I don't think they do the under-promise, over-deliver they just under-promise and then deliver on their promise.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Naut said:

Read why Cyril is saying in the media, they are already making excuses. I don't think they do the under-promise, over-deliver they just under-promise and then deliver on their promise.

The difference is in the leadership of the teams. To be successful, you need one boss in the garage area and back at the factory. He/she answers to up higher whether that be to a parent car company or team owner.

Toto Wolf at Mercedes and Christian Horner at Redbull are "dictators" in managing their teams. Ferrari used to be like this when Jean  Todt was boss during Schumachers reign. 

The current Ferrari team has the right leadership in the garage now and the team has the car to win. It's the drivers who are not delivering for the team . The test of the leadership will come this year when the time comes to not re-sign a 4 time world champion. 

Cyril at Renault is hamstrung by having to run the team "by committee" answering to the parent car company via results fed to the company by 3 different parts of the team. The chassis Engineering dept, the engine and transmission dept and lastly team management. Poor old Cyril has no firm hand in running the team and driving the agenda for development. 

In the lesser teams such as racing point, the team owner is also one sponsor who has to manage a committee of sponsors demanding various scenarios of results for the team. Perez has a seat in this team as a driver, because he has a lot of rich sponsors paying for the seat and demanding their driver get the results for the team. Problem is, the other driver is the son of the team owner. Guess why this team isn't developing to the higher level. 

The once mighty Williams went from dictator run team to also rans run by a committee trying to make the sponsors happy and not focussing on engineering like they used too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Greyman said:

The difference is in the leadership of the teams. To be successful, you need one boss in the garage area and back at the factory. He/she answers to up higher whether that be to a parent car company or team owner.

Toto Wolf at Mercedes and Christian Horner at Redbull are "dictators" in managing their teams. Ferrari used to be like this when Jean  Todt was boss during Schumachers reign. 

Ron Dennis was probably the best example of all

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 5:34 PM, Naut said:

Colin Chapman was an even better example.

Now you're showing your age 😋

I love the story of when Peter Warr took over Lotus after Chapman's death, and promptly opined that Nigel Mansell would 'never win a race as long as he has a hole in his backside'

31 wins and a world championship later...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2020 at 8:57 AM, Naut said:

Renault is looking like a disaster again this year.

Their car is significantly better than last year. They showed good pace last week without really concentrating on low fuel soft, short runs. The last two days they have been concentrating on technical development and longer runs: which counter intuitively tells me that they are pretty satisfied with the inherent pace of the car and overall reliability straight out of the box: I think they have only lost some track time once due for a minor failure, with other track time being lost because Riccardo damaged the car on the kerb and again when he spun it on his one ‘hot lap’ he was attempting right at the end of day 3 last week (interestingly he was actually on pace to finish up second fastest overall on that run before he spun at the last chicane). 

I think Ferrari are not sandbagging, but they are concentrating on technical development with a view to a very long season ahead. Last year they were hot in testing and were THE fastest car on the grid for most races but reliability and inconsistency killed their chances of actually finishing on top of Mercedes.

Mercedes ‘Team One’ look astonishingly good this year and I actually suspect that right now their closest challenger is Mercedes ‘Team Two’ - Racing Point with what looks to be an exact replica of last year’s championship winning car.

Red Bull have been quiet but I think, like Ferrari and Renault, they are simply concentrating on technical testing. Their car looks to be very quick by Melbourne qualifying I reckon.

Alfa Romeo have been quick in what looks to be a slightly upgraded version of Ferraris car from 2019.

Williams seem to be right back into the middle of the mid field, which is a very very welcome development.

Overall, the takeout for me is that Mercedes are on another level from everybody else, but the gap between everybody else is actually much closer than I can recall in previous years. ‘But for’ Mercedes I reckon this year could see the most competitive and exciting racing in F1 ever!

Edited by Andrew #1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 February 2020 at 5:34 PM, Naut said:

Colin Chapman was an even better example.

Ron Dennis was the best. He made sure the whole team was the complete package, car and all. Colin Chapman, whilst a genius and Brilliant designer, wasn't as focussed on the whole deal. The cars were often flimsy and unreliable, the drivers not always looked after and safety was not really a focus for him. I'd place Ken Tyrrell ahead of Chapman. 

As a designer and innovator, it's chapman and Adrian Newey first, daylight second then the rest of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Greyman said:

Ron Dennis was the best. He made sure the whole team was the complete package, car and all. Colin Chapman, whilst a genius and Brilliant designer, wasn't as focussed on the whole deal. The cars were often flimsy and unreliable, the drivers not always looked after and safety was not really a focus for him. I'd place Ken Tyrrell ahead of Chapman. 

As a designer and innovator, it's chapman and Adrian Newey first, daylight second then the rest of them. 

I was talking in terms of being a "dictator". Some of the stories I have heard about Chapman made it pretty clear that there was only 1 decision maker at Lotus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Naut said:

I was talking in terms of being a "dictator". Some of the stories I have heard about Chapman made it pretty clear that there was only 1 decision maker at Lotus.

True. Brabham and Eddie Jordan nearly on a par with him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Drive to Survive, season 1: How the **** are Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen still driving in F1 two years later? 

Are they both pay drivers? Grosjean is sometimes fast but he just crashes ... most races. He has a nasty habit of taking out other drivers as well. He’s 34 now and should be gone. 
 

Also, what exactly is Kimi doing? He’s career stopped being relevant 2 years ago. 

Edited by Andrew #1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Christian Horner and the rest of the Red Bull establishment are cv#ts.

Daniel is well shot of them. Spoiled man-child Max will either win a WC or end up killing someone on the track. Maybe both. A pox on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the best hack to watch F1 this year without paying Rupert through the nose for a package of junk that I’m largely not interested in?

Looking for a Foxtel work around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

What’s the best hack to watch F1 this year without paying Rupert through the nose for a package of junk that I’m largely not interested in?

Looking for a Foxtel work around.

Kayo? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Do people actually watch Formula 1. Hmmmm very strange.

Ever been?

Admittedly I haven't been since they stopped sounding like race cars, but it's a very good time 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Do people actually watch Formula 1. Hmmmm very strange.

 

17 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Ever been?

Admittedly I haven't been since they stopped sounding like race cars, but it's a very good time 

One of my team has been to the Aus race every year since 2004. Normally pays $600 each for he & his wife (who is also a F1 nut) for the 4 day pass. They also went to Europe a few years ago & spent 6 months travelling around to see every race over there that year. They both have good jobs, and it's probably the thing they spend the most money on over the years, doing the Asian races on & off as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Subscribe to kayo. 

it's very good how you can watch the night time ones the next day or next month or whenever.

Do it with a mate.  2 users for only one paying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Subscribe to kayo. 

it's very good how you can watch the night time ones the next day or next month or whenever.

Do it with a mate.  2 users for only one paying.

Still getting gauged. Thanks to Rupert we cant access the F1 channel directly in Australia - which would only cost about $US20 per year if we could. 

Kayo still costs money per month and I am only interested in F1 - not all the other shite they have on it. Kayo is just an iteration of the rupeverse. My mate is the CEO, but f#ck him and Rupert. Not getting money off me if I can avoid it.

Edited by Andrew #1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I saw Adelaide twice and Melbourne three times.  Would love to get over to see some of the must-sees like Monaco, Spa and Monza

Im planning on seeing Baku next year as part of a Silk Road Odyssey from China to - ultimately - St Petersburg  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Still getting gauged. Thanks to Rupert we cant access the F1 channel directly in Australia - which would only cost about $US20 per year if we could. 

Kayo still costs money per month and I am only interested in F1 - not all the other shite they have on it. Kayo is just an iteration of the rupeverse. My mate is the CEO, but f#ck him and Rupert. Not getting money off me if I can avoid it.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

I've had this for about 5 years now.  pay for 12 months.  Well worth the money

Watch cycling, F1 everything.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Do people actually watch Formula 1. Hmmmm very strange.

Every year I think I should go to the Melbourne F1 just for the experience and just in case it moves. But I can't find the motivation to go instead watching it on TV.

Instead I spent last weekend down at Phillip Island watching the Historics. There are hundreds of classic road cars on display outside the track. Then there are all the racing classics from the 30's onward -  Touring cars, plenty of 60's Brabham's, Australian Formula 2 cars (saw an older sibling of my car) F5000 V8's, Can Am cars, Group C Porsches (956 & 962) through to a 1985 Ferrari F1 car!

Open pits at no extra fees so you can walk into the garages and around the cars and talk to the owners!

All real cars making real sounds!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Nice

Indy, Le Mans and Daytona would also be pretty cool to see live at some point 

Another mate of mine owns a sprint car team and also about half of all the oval dirt speedways in Australia. I’ve met a bunch of NASCAR and US Sprint Car races over the years through him. I’d actually like to do a bit of Deep South American Pilgrimage and watch some of the Good ole’ boys racing - both tarmac and dirt. Something I’d not ever thought about even 10 years ago. Combine that with a Harley trip on Route 66. 

Sprint car racing is mad. Half the clay track will end up covering you by the end of the night. The skills are the equal of any form of motor racing (Jack Brabham learnt his craft on the old inner western Sydney oval in gathering early 50s) and the engines are insane: I’ve actually picked up a 410 cubic motor by myself: pure allow and only weighs 70kg, yet puts out over 900hp when run on alcohol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Ever been?

 

Never been to a car race. Cant even bring myself to watch the Bathurst races. 

When the cars raced at Olympic park a few years ago... they went straight under the windows of out building. I looked out at them for about 20 secs.... nothing to see here!!!! 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

correct i feel for all the contractors ie hot dog seller, their suppliers their  employees, for the sake the of the flu these people could be ****ed.  the wrong call, 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎13‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 11:17 AM, Toolish said:

No Melbourne GP now!

But seriously.... did they really need to cancel it. Even without a crowd, I am sure the TV rights would be massive.

I assume most teams would have already been here anyway and ready to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

But seriously.... did they really need to cancel it. Even without a crowd, I am sure the TV rights would be massive.

I assume most teams would have already been here anyway and ready to go.

That was the idea re: the Bahrain GP, but that's now been postponed as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

But seriously.... did they really need to cancel it. Even without a crowd, I am sure the TV rights would be massive.

I assume most teams would have already been here anyway and ready to go.

Agree.  Everything was there.  Cameras. Drivers.  Track prepared.  
 

a real shame. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Agree.  Everything was there.  Cameras. Drivers.  Track prepared.  
 

a real shame. 

Don’t think all the drivers were there. Heard a couple of drivers were all ready on a flight back home before they canceled 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limited said:

Don’t think all the drivers were there. Heard a couple of drivers were all ready on a flight back home before they canceled 

Vettel and Raikkonen had already shot through apparently  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love car racing and motorbike racing. Always have, since I was a kid. My two brothers and I, were taken to our first car race at Warwick Farm when we were 9. I still remember the sound of Moffats Coca Cola Mustang, the screeching of tyres in the corners the sound of cars crashing into the Armco barriers. We were living in Canberra at the time and dad and his mate saw how much we liked the cars so they took us to the speedway a few weeks later. Mt Gin raceway used to be near where Majura lane and the Federal Highway intersected. Today there some kind of Eco tourist centre or some crap. Back in 1972 it was a clay dirt speedway where races were run Saturday afternoons (no lights back then so no night races). Speedway just feuled the fire even more for three young boys. Our newsagent was a family friend and kept the return copies that hadn't sold of Speedway News (UK pub) and Speedway Times and Aussie mag, for us boys. 

Nearly 50 years later and all three of us are still just into motor racing. We've each had a go at different forms of racing. Only one of us (not me) has tried motorcycle racing. That brother hasn't tried any form of car racing. Me and the third one, have tried circuit racing in cars and only I have competed in car rally's. thats all ancient history now, but we still keep across what's going on. We've all been to Bathurst for various car races, seen F1 in a few places but I'm the only one who has been to Le Mans. To me, Le Mans 24 hour race is the pinnacle of motorsports. F1 used to be tops up to about 2001, but Now it's too controlled and a bit contrived. 

When Nick Munting was Alive, we used to message each other a lot about motorsports. He was a huge fan, used to rally and was editor of Auto Acrion magazine in the 1980s and 90's. He loved his cars. I miss our chats about the cars and bikes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Greyman said:

Love car racing and motorbike racing.

You need to get yourself to the various Historic races if you don't already  @Greyman!

Phillip Island just a few weekends ago is the best, bu there is also a couple of weekends at Winton and Sandown later in the year. Been going to all the above over the last few years and really enjoy the older cars. Also open pits means you can walk through the garages and talk to the owners etc...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17 March 2020 at 2:52 PM, Dalai said:

You need to get yourself to the various Historic races if you don't already  @Greyman!

Phillip Island just a few weekends ago is the best, bu there is also a couple of weekends at Winton and Sandown later in the year. Been going to all the above over the last few years and really enjoy the older cars. Also open pits means you can walk through the garages and talk to the owners etc...

I do, thanks. Help an old workmate with his cars. He owns a few including Robbie Francevics Volvo touring car. The one I like is his 1980's era, Elfin formula 3000 open wheeler. I usually get to Phillip Island or Winton each year for the historics. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...