Aussie tri and bike brands, deceased and current.

16 hours ago, roxii said:

Kids will never understand the amount of time and effort spent trying to install a wired speed/cadence setup neatly. 

15 hours ago, -H- said:

Or moving one to a new bike and accidentally cutting the wire 

When all the gps satellite fall out of the sky, I’m prepared. 

33B71268-6C44-48B5-9241-FDA1828576E4.jpeg

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Jim Shortz said:

Watched a bit of the 1995 Forster on YouTube this morning. 

Bob Southwell had a wicked headway helmet. Complete with visor. 

The glory days of the sport 

Bob wore it in The 2001 version.  Pretty sure he beat me. Mind you I beat Smitty and rocket so not that bad.  He was an endurance master. 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Trannies.. its been a while..

I have had a few Europa's.. one was my first tri bike, a roadie with clip ons. I am pretty sure John Abeni is no longer with us as not seen him outside his shop Europa Cycles at Kenso for years. I know his son Allan might still be there.. John was one cranky man..

I was looking for a photo of my on the Europa (speedos and singlet) racing at Kurnell but could not find one B U T.. found this photo of how not to wear an Aero helmet. with mr Flanman..

Not raced for a few years now as was kinda over it esp after a decent PB and IM in Cairns 2 weeks after my 50th. Still cycling and swimming and a bit of yoga.. Running is over, just long walks in the park.

Not related but the Flanman ol bike post.. I had a Learsport, then frame died, got a Azzuri Frame and that Cracked.. then that was replaced with another Azzuri Frame.. the bottom bracket all cracked internally and bike man said thats it and can't be fixed.. Geesus.. 3 fames with the same Ultegra Group set.. I only got 110,000ks out of it.. So after 12 years I got a new Giant TCR.. (yes wash my mouth out but it was the best bang for my buck).. I forgot what. new bike was like and so love it. comfy AF.

221851_9232368111_2130_n.jpg.3961fedc8d63a30695e57e4a926a8c64.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found these old bars today while rummaging around the shed. Think I was using them in the mid to late 80’s.

8C727371-25B6-4737-8B51-BA37E1DF5CDF.jpeg

Prior to those I was using a pair of home made bars held on by cable tyes an gaffa tape. Fortunately no bike inspections back around 83. This was my old Hoffy, with toe- clipsand straps though the shoes were actually bolted to the pedals.

B05D9342-C865-4516-8547-F79138EB39B0.jpeg

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 2

Aero bars were 87 onward. Scott DH were the first. I think $180 dollars at the time .too expensive for the normal punter. Many copies were made and different versions. I had animal bars for $40.😂

Just now, roxii said:

Newport Racing (NR) Blacktip. 

They were quite cool from memory. I wanted the Repco thing Guy Leech was flogging for my first bike as they had a quite ahead of its time aero bar and bar end shifter set up.

Got an Avanti Corsa instead.

What was the bike Brad Bevan (my imaginary brother) rode (local bike?)

14 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

What was the bike Brad Bevan (my imaginary brother) rode (local bike?)

Brad was on a Teschner (or TI Sports) , had one done up in a green croc scales style livery if memory serves me right. 

He also piloted a softride (or zipp) beam frame early on. 

17 hours ago, Mike Del said:

Found these old bars today while rummaging around the shed. Think I was using them in the mid to late 80’s.

8C727371-25B6-4737-8B51-BA37E1DF5CDF.jpeg

Prior to those I was using a pair of home made bars held on by cable tyes an gaffa tape. Fortunately no bike inspections back around 83. This was my old Hoffy, with toe- clipsand straps though the shoes were actually bolted to the pedals.

Profile 1 they were called. My brother brought a set back from the states for me. I stuck them on my centurion bike. He brought himself one of those Malvern Star triathlete bikes and had a set of profile 1s on that bike. Good piece of kit.  

Edited by Greyman
5 hours ago, Greyman said:

Profile 1 they were called. My brother brought a set back from the states for me. I stuck them on my centurion bike. He brought himself one of those Malvern Star triathlete bikes and had a set of profile 1s on that bike. Good piece of kit.  

You're thinking of the Profile Aero one, but these were the Scott DH. There must be a connector section under the tape on the front, as they were open at the front to allow them to slide through a normal stem that didn't open like they do today. The Aero One didn't have as many bends & curves.

I had (probably still have if I bother looking :) ) a set of "Profile for Speed" bars, which were the next generation. They attached to normal handlebars (or in my case, cow-horns) like we see today, but were connected at the front.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
On 02/03/2020 at 10:37 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You're thinking of the Profile Aero one, but these were the Scott DH. There must be a connector section under the tape on the front, as they were open at the front to allow them to slide through a normal stem that didn't open like they do today. The Aero One didn't have as many bends & curves.

I had (probably still have if I bother looking :) ) a set of "Profile for Speed" bars, which were the next generation. They attached to normal handlebars (or in my case, cow-horns) like we see today, but were connected at the front.

Correctt...i had the DH bars without the connector...bought mine from bike barn stall at Bundeena tri 1990...i was only 18 😁😂

Edited by Shrek
On 10/02/2020 at 8:53 PM, Shrek said:

My Europa bike from the Liverpool shop...loved it...early 90s

Same bike....just got pimped.....then stolen 🤬

FB_IMG_1517470784119.jpg

FB_IMG_1581328183369.jpg

A good mate of mine worked at that Europa shop. The guy who ran the shop was known as 'Fat Steve'....for obvious reasons.

I'm talking late 80's early 90's. Know the guy?

I saw Brad’s croc bike at Nepean not many years ago, it had had a tough life since he sold it, had the shit bashed outta it. Looked like it was worth $100. Should have ended up in a museum, it was the bike he rode in all the later St George/Accenture series races

8 hours ago, JDAF said:

A good mate of mine worked at that Europa shop. The guy who ran the shop was known as 'Fat Steve'....for obvious reasons.

I'm talking late 80's early 90's. Know the guy?

Norco/ Fatmam and i remain good mates to this very day....

Know him very well....he sold me that bike and lot's of other stuff...

We talk about once a fortnight...and was at his house late last year down the coast

Edited by Shrek