Coronavirus

On 11/05/2020 at 9:03 AM, Kim jong-un said:

New Zealand and North Korea have done what the UK have failed at

Bro/gal. Haha etc but I think we're kind of done with the persona on this thread.

I am literally packing up our place to send the wife and two kids elsewhere. Not because we are without income but because i'm not certain our current residency arrangements will be conducive to health or education in the near term. 

Haha. Love satirical accounts but lay off this one. 

Edited by Mike Honcho
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

On 08/05/2020 at 1:06 PM, pieman said:

1 person per lane (good) and 10 people in total.. better get there early

On 08/05/2020 at 1:00 PM, Prince said:

swimming pools opening in stage 1, you beauty....

Not yet for the public pools in Brisbane. The pool operators have told the Council it’s not viable to operate with a 10 person limit.

4F845289-6D03-4908-8A48-B05C978012A9.jpeg

Yeah there is all this talk of restaurants, cafes and pubs opening, but if they are limited with numbers, there's no point opening, they will be operating at a loss.

13 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah there is all this talk of restaurants, cafes and pubs opening, but if they are limited with numbers, there's no point opening, they will be operating at a loss.

Some cafes are opening.  

27 minutes ago, zed said:

A lot of the cafes & a few restaurants have been open for take-away, so adding a few diners on seats outside shouldn't be too big an issue.

• Like 2

One of the little restaurants up here is gonna test it out Saturday by running two sessions, 5 to 7 and 7 to 9.  

Primary schools for Year R and 1 are, in theory' opening June 1st. Gov has said only 15 to a class and desks two meters apart. I'm not sure where they think our kids go to school but they don't have classrooms the size of Hogwart's assembly hall!

Can't see it happening unless they spread the class attendance over a whole week with rotation.

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Yeah.  Don't ask me how it all woks. When I went to school it was different and we used slate to write on 😀

The difference between the east coast and west coast of Australia confuses me........

9 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Bro/gal. Haha etc but I think we're kind of done with the persona on this thread.

I am literally packing up our place to send the wife and two kids elsewhere. Not because we are without income but because i'm not certain our current residency arrangements will be conducive to health or education in the near term. 

Haha. Love satirical accounts but lay off this one. 

What influence has Ramadan celebrations had on the spread of the virus in the Gulf? Bahrain has opened up all shopping centres and I don't see anyone taking the social distancing seriously when it comes to cycling and running groups.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

YAY!

Our dam is opening this Saturday. They are saying only 10 people in the swimming enclosure. I wonder if they'll count those that swim straight through it & out to the rest of the dam?

All of our pools are saying "'we're thinking about it" probably not worth the money for them to open. Most of the beaches carparks are shut here in Sydney, so unless I find somewhere to park nearby, I'm out of luck.

Lucky I did not transfer my IM OZ spot to September. Failing that, there is a LOT of extra work that will need to run a race safely and who knows when they will allow races of more than a few hundred. Might need a vaccine first.

Edited by MissJess
3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

YAY!

Our dam is opening this Saturday. They are saying only 10 people in the swimming enclosure. I wonder if they'll count those that swim straight through it & out to the rest of the dam?

I’ll guarantee you if a park ranger sees there’s already 10 in the official swimming area and extras enter the water and swim through and continue up the dam it won’t bother them at all. 
If a SEQWater ranger or a recreation officer from SEQWater sees it happen they’ll be recommending all swimming cease at Enoggera Res.
SEQWater controls what happens on the water and they would love to stop all activity at their dams apart from their core business and anything that makes them good money. Fortunately for us they rarely have anyone onsite, and the park rangers are pretty cool and don’t really like to cooperate with SEQWater. 

12 hours ago, MissJess said:

All of our pools are saying "'we're thinking about it" probably not worth the money for them to open. Most of the beaches carparks are shut here in Sydney, so unless I find somewhere to park nearby, I'm out of luck.

Lucky I did not transfer my IM OZ spot to September. Failing that, there is a LOT of extra work that will need to run a race safely and who knows when they will allow races of more than a few hundred. Might need a vaccine first.

The Kurnell netted area has been open right through and is getting regular use.  Even seen some squad kiddies out there with paddles, pull buoys etc. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, roxii said:

Even seen some squad kiddies out there with paddles, pull buoys etc. 

The dam will be interesting. SEQwater have made a specific point about telling squads they aren't allowed in the dam without paying. I suppose being Winter there won't be many, but with all the pools shut it'll be tempting for some coaches to try to sneak their swimmers in there.

5 hours ago, roxii said:

The Kurnell netted area has been open right through and is getting regular use.  Even seen some squad kiddies out there with paddles, pull buoys etc. 

Balmoral has been open and busy for the whole period. In and out of the netted area. I saw some kids from Lane Cove squad doing some training. Very impressive. Seeing the kids doing 100 mtr butterfly sets as they flew past the oldies. This week has definitely been wetsuit temperature. Not as busy but still people out there. Good to see people getting their exercise done.

Thanks @roxii I have been considering going out there.

@Mr Flower I had considered Balmoral or Manly, but I have heard they are far too busy and was concerned about going to an area that is already crowded and for Manly, was a hotspot (until the nursing home in Penrith). Oh and hi for a few weeks back! I was doing my VR4 10k run.

28 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Thanks @roxii I have been considering going out there.

@Mr Flower I had considered Balmoral or Manly, but I have heard they are far too busy and was concerned about going to an area that is already crowded and for Manly, was a hotspot (until the nursing home in Penrith). Oh and hi for a few weeks back! I was doing my VR4 10k run.

Jess, it was great to see you a couple of weeks back. Well done on the run.

Balmoral has been a lot quieter this week. Though definitely wetsuit temperature now. The beach has never been that busy but the promenade has been. Lots of people out walking. Now that schools are getting back I did notice not a lot of kids around this week, though of course it has been a lot cooler this week. Has anyone else noticed that it feels like winter has started early.

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

The dam will be interesting. SEQwater have made a specific point about telling squads they aren't allowed in the dam without paying. I suppose being Winter there won't be many, but with all the pools shut it'll be tempting for some coaches to try to sneak their swimmers in there.

A year ago a permit to run a comp on an SEQWater dam was around $200 , now it's $1000.

• Confused 1

Just read about the situation in qld about cycling.  Apparently it’s ok to cycle with family and up to 10 friends, but cycling clubs and coached rides are verboten till mid June 🤔🤔🤔🤔.  Would really like someone to explain how a disciplined coached ride differs from a group of friends when same number limit applies ??? 

10 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

Just read about the situation in qld about cycling.  Apparently it’s ok to cycle with family and up to 10 friends, but cycling clubs and coached rides are verboten till mid June 🤔🤔🤔🤔.  Would really like someone to explain how a disciplined coached ride differs from a group of friends when same number limit applies ??? 

Similar with soccer in NSW. I coach a ladies team. We are not allowed to train yet, but I can go down to the oval with 9 others and kick a soccer ball around as long as we social distance. They did mention something about an AIS Framework has not been adopted by the state government. Maybe it has something to do with insurance.

In regards to cycling I will be riding with a few mates tomorrow. No club gear allowed.

Well... Interesting times as it appears we head towards a second peak.

The breaking of lock down rules last weekend for VE day has been compounded by deliberately vague government guidelines for this week. A Cummings classic where the focus has been effectively shifted to arguing about what is and is not allowed rather than focusing on the second worst death toll in the world. We haven't seen the impact of that in the numbers yet but I don't think it's going to be an improvement.

The reinfection rate is on the way back up and we're back to 8 weeks ago when we were effectively relying on crossing our fingers and hoping.

I hope I'm wrong but being told by Ambulance service management to "get some rest so you're ready" is not a great omen.

Edited by monkie
  • Sad 5
4 hours ago, monkie said:

Well... Interesting times as it appears we head towards a second peak.

The breaking of lock down rules last weekend for VE day has been compounded by deliberately vague government guidelines for this week. A Cummings classic where the focus has been effectively shifted to arguing about what is and is not allowed rather than focusing on the second worst death toll in the world. We haven't seen the impact of that in the numbers yet but I don't think it's going to be an improvement.

The reinfection rate is on the way back up and we're back to 8 weeks ago when we were effectively relying on crossing our fingers and hoping.

I hope I'm wrong but being told by Ambulance service management to "get some rest so you're ready" is not a great omen.

They said yesterday that London only has 24 new cases and that the vast increase is now in the Nth East?

19 minutes ago, FatPom said:

They said yesterday that London only has 24 new cases and that the vast increase is now in the Nth East?

What is clear with the COVID-19 virus is nothing is clear, especially when it comes to stats. We just don't know. Italy proudly declared they had had a drop in the number of daily deaths until some killjoy pointed out they had stopped testing for COVID-10 in nursing homes. Maybe London has only 24 new cases, but with 15'000 people flying into the capital, daily, and not being forcibly quarantined, surely this will change. 10 flights an hour are arriving from New York. Experts are calling BS on the London stats

Data shows that the R value across England is 0.75, firmly under 1.0 - which the prime minister specified as a requirement for the continued easing of lockdown measures in the coming months.

But that is at odds with government scientists, who are understood to be sceptical that the number of new infections is so low in the capital, and estimate the R number has risen to between 0.7 and 1 nationally.

15 minutes ago, zed said:

What is clear with the COVID-19 virus is nothing is clear, especially when it comes to stats. We just don't know. Italy proudly declared they had had a drop in the number of daily deaths until some killjoy pointed out they had stopped testing for COVID-10 in nursing homes. Maybe London has only 24 new cases, but with 15'000 people flying into the capital, daily, and not being forcibly quarantined, surely this will change. 10 flights an hour are arriving from New York. Experts are calling BS on the London stats

Data shows that the R value across England is 0.75, firmly under 1.0 - which the prime minister specified as a requirement for the continued easing of lockdown measures in the coming months.

But that is at odds with government scientists, who are understood to be sceptical that the number of new infections is so low in the capital, and estimate the R number has risen to between 0.7 and 1 nationally.

In the post event review and there will be many, the lack of respect for government, the instant experts who claim they know better along with the irresponsible media  and social media have caused so much damage and made an already hard situation much worse.

"But government scientists are understood to be sceptical that the number of new infections is that low."

Which scientists what data? 

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

That's based on modelling I think rather than hospital data? I hope you're right though! A friend was out yesterday and noted they had their first ?Covid in a couple of weeks of none. Can't draw any conclusions from that but with travel around the country starting again and thousands of cases nationwide I'm sceptical. Especially seeing pictures of the tube rammed.

54 minutes ago, zed said:

Don't ask me, I just live here and trying to keep my family safe.  

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Don't ask me, I just live here and trying to keep my family safe.  

How is it going for you? Living the American COVID dream, having come from OZ and still with lots of family in UK it is very different depending on where you are and assesments from 12,000 miles away are different from those who are in the thick of it

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

How is it going for you? Living the American COVID dream, having come from OZ and still with lots of family in UK it is very different depending on where you are and assesments from 12,000 miles away are different from those who are in the thick of it

It's going ok thanks. We all wish we were in Oz for some reasons and at the same time we are glad we are here for others. Hampshire has a very high infection rate and Winchester seems to be quite high. I'm not sure if that's some spill over from the Uni in the early days, which has a massive population of Chinese students, or something else?

But life is largely unaffected for us as a family, apart from losing my job.  We never really ate out, never have extended family or friends to stay, so the biggest impact is home schooling.  Mrs FP is heavily involved through her job with the local mothers and through all that, she's only heard of one person that has been directly affected. (a Mum lost her 30yr old who had underlying problems).

So quite where all these cases are I'm unsure but Royal Hampshire hospital in Winchester is the main treatment centre for Hampshire, so the risks are obviously real. To be honest, I'm glad we don't live right in the middle of town any more.

There is an outline of a plan for back to school from June 1st. Year R, 1 & 6 only. Classes to be split into groups of 15 and zero interaction between groups. Loads more details to follow, so I hope they iron out any issues. Basic plan is to have all kids at school for a month before holidays but I can't get my head around how they will.

When I run or walk, everyone is very polite and get out of each other's way. I haven't heard of any craziness locally.  The only effect I see is quiet roads and white van man driving like a bloody lunatic. Speeding fines are through the roof apparently.

I worry about my Mum but we are fortunate that my sister has sacrificed seeing her husband and kids for over 10 wks now, to stay at Mum's and work from there. This eases our worry but it's very hard to explain to our daughter why she can't see Granny and especially hard to give any answer as to when she will be able to.

So despite the lifting of some restrictions, we are carrying on like everything is still in place and just crossing our fingers.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1
40 minutes ago, FatPom said:

It's going ok thanks. We all wish we were in Oz for some reasons and at the same time we are glad we are here for others. Hampshire has a very high infection rate and Winchester seems to be quite high. I'm not sure if that's some spill over from the Uni in the early days, which has a massive population of Chinese students, or something else?

But life is largely unaffected for us as a family, apart from losing my job.  We never really ate out, never have extended family or friends to stay, so the biggest impact is home schooling.  Mrs FP is heavily involved through her job with the local mothers and through all that, she's only heard of one person that has been directly affected. (a Mum lost her 30yr old who had underlying problems).

So quite where all these cases are I'm unsure but Royal Hampshire hospital in Winchester is the main treatment centre for Hampshire, so the risks are obviously real. To be honest, I'm glad we don't live right in the middle of town any more.

There is an outline of a plan for back to school from June 1st. Year R, 1 & 6 only. Classes to be split into groups of 15 and zero interaction between groups. Loads more details to follow, so I hope they iron out any issues. Basic plan is to have all kids at school for a month before holidays but I can't get my head around how they will.

When I run or walk, everyone is very polite and get out of each other's way. I haven't heard of any craziness locally.  The only effect I see is quiet roads and white van man driving like a bloody lunatic. Speeding fines are through the roof apparently.

I worry about my Mum but we are fortunate that my sister has sacrificed seeing her husband and kids for over 10 wks now, to stay at Mum's and work from there. This eases our worry but it's very hard to explain to our daughter why she can't see Granny and especially hard to give any answer as to when she will be able to.

So despite the lifting of some restrictions, we are carrying on like everything is still in place and just crossing our fingers.

Oh, hope things improve, other than the kids not being at school sounds similar. They have brought the end of the year ahead by two weeks so no school till August with the big whammy of no place to go for holiday.

I grapple with just go back to Oz, but think I'll wait on the school year. I am lucky in that we get a tutor paid for its just having the kids at home and trying to work from home

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Peter said:

What’s the daily death count in the uk given the talk of a second wave.   

I couldn’t find a daily webpage. Just this https://www.statista.com/statistics/1109595/coronavirus-mortality-in-the-uk/

edit. Found this.  Weird pattern 

E20F18BA-ECB1-4997-AF6B-DAC12DE6BAA1.jpeg

I've noticed the same with a few countries. Seems the UK don't do a lot of counting on weekends, then the next day is always higher than the rest of the week as they catch up. 

5 hours ago, Peter said:

@monkie you mention a possible second wave.  

why are they thinking that?  

I hope they're all wrong but to the untrained eye (I'm no epidemiologist) I really cannot see what has changed. We still have thousands of new confirmed cases each day (3,451 yesterday, daily stats here: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk) and hundreds of people dying (468 yesterday). 

We're cramming people back onto trains / the tube / buses and planning on sending kids back to school without actually solving or changing anything. Like I said, I don't know for certain, nobody does, but at a tactical level in SJA we're gearing up for another busy few weeks similar to what we had when it started when the statutory services could barely cope.

• Sad 2
8 minutes ago, monkie said:

I hope they're all wrong but to the untrained eye (I'm no epidemiologist) I really cannot see what has changed. We still have thousands of new confirmed cases each day (3,451 yesterday, daily stats here: https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk) and hundreds of people dying (468 yesterday). 

We're cramming people back onto trains / the tube / buses and planning on sending kids back to school without actually solving or changing anything. Like I said, I don't know for certain, nobody does, but at a tactical level in SJA we're gearing up for another busy few weeks similar to what we had when it started when the statutory services could barely cope.

Sounds like they're adopting the "survival of the fittest" program!

8 hours ago, monkie said:

Yeah, we were thinking of visiting our girls in Sydney next week, rang the NSW hotline & they said it was fine to go.  But our kids are not so keen, they & their partners reckon it's not over yet and one is predicting a 2nd wave here too.  So we'll put it off and see what happens.

Still, for me, the whole thing has been a God-send.  Working from home has made me realise what a negative effect going to the office every day was having on my mood.  Going to have to review my working arrangements methinks.

• Like 1