1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

We are being temperature tested as we enter the office each time now.

Which is a complete waste of time if it's true that you are most contagious before you start showing symptoms 

• Like 2
  • Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Peter said:

Temperature testing?  Whats the point?

Find possible cases as soon as possible, get them tested. If positive, isolate, contact trace and repeat with the contacts.

NSW has heaps of testing capability, the more we test and find sooner rather than later and isolate the carriers the quicker we slow the spread and hopefully beat this thing. 

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Go to bunnings after 2pm.  It's empty

Temperature testing?  Whats the point?

They put an orange sticker on me to show i was tested.... you have to admit.... thats pretty cool. LOL.

Dont even know why they bothered as they had to test me again when I went out for lunch.... even when they could see i have been tested before.

7 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

some of the euros death rates are high but there are a lot of old life time smokers drinkers bad diets no exercise in there.

Read an article (The Guardian I think) that stated smokers were getting covid-19 in fewer numbers than non-smokers.  The French were going to trial nicotine patches...  However the article did acknowledge that if a smoker caught covid, they had worse outcomes than non-smokers...

2 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

..  However the article did acknowledge that if a smoker caught covid, they had worse outcomes than non-smokers...

Naturally. This would seem to be the bleeding obvious one would think.

10 minutes ago, SomeTri said:

Em, no, not necessarily.  Smokers aren't always the most unhealthy...

I beg to differ there. The fact that they do it....sends messages to me loud and clear. But then again I am prejudiced against smokers.

Edited by IronmanFoz
6 hours ago, Peter said:

Go to bunnings after 2pm.  It's empty

Well I went to my contactless paint pick up today which involved driving past Bunnings this afternoon. It was worse than yesterday. Traffic jam, completely clogged car park and the queue of people standing outside was like those at Centrelink that other week.

20 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Well I went to my contactless paint pick up today which involved driving past Bunnings this afternoon. It was worse than yesterday. Traffic jam, completely clogged car park and the queue of people standing outside was like those at Centrelink that other week.

Did you really expect people to be at home and working from home. Yeah right.

Even I took a 5 minute break today to put a new flag up on the flagpole in readiness for tomorrow's Anzac Day

IMG_8272.JPG

4 hours ago, SomeTri said:

Read an article (The Guardian I think) that stated smokers were getting covid-19 in fewer numbers than non-smokers.  The French were going to trial nicotine patches...  However the article did acknowledge that if a smoker caught covid, they had worse outcomes than non-smokers...

This reminds me of hiking the Inca Trail in 1995, the first person to the top of each mountain pass was a 60 year old smoker from the UK, and by the time anyone else arrived he already had a durry and a cerveza in hand.  My theory was that his lungs were used to working with limited oxygen. Disclaimer:  I have no idea but I like telling my story haha

2 minutes ago, -H- said:

This reminds me of hiking the Inca Trail in 1995, the first person to the top of each mountain pass was a 60 year old smoker from the UK, and by the time anyone else arrived he already had a durry and a cerveza in hand.  My theory was that his lungs were used to working with limited oxygen. Disclaimer:  I have no idea but I like telling my story haha

Back in the scuba days we would say the same thing when smokers used heaps less air than non-smokers. No idea if it was correct, but it made sense at the time.

30 minutes ago, Katz said:

Back in the scuba days we would say the same thing when smokers used heaps less air than non-smokers. No idea if it was correct, but it made sense at the time.

Kevin Fergusson came from a scuba diving background and I have a feeling he smoked before that.  Now a living legend of triathlon.

7 hours ago, SomeTri said:

That’s interesting that they can avoid it. Bu then it’s bad when they get it.

So much we don’t know about this thing

13 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Which is a complete waste of time if it's true that you are most contagious before you start showing symptoms 

If people weren't significantly contagious after developing symptoms, there wouldn't be much need for PPE in hospitals.

Interesting interview on ABC's Planet America Fireside Chat this week with a bat virologist who has spent many years working in China. Among covering other points, he talks about the most likely original mode of transmission of the virus to humans.

In the UAE we've been on complete lock down for 3 weeks. No movement out of your house unless you are essential services going to and from work. You could apply for a permit to go to the grocery store or pharmacy once every three days. Today, they started relaxing the rules and you can go outside to exercise for up to two hours but only in your area of residence. Daily infection rates are around 6% increase but they are doing enormous amounts of testing. 

Getting back on track, and off Politics:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/sweden-queries-basis-of-lockdowns-as-germany-keeps-its-guard-up

"...the country has recorded 2,150 deaths – giving it a per-million total much lower than Italy’s and Spain’s, but many times higher than those of its Nordic neighbours."

It was always going to be interesting to see how it played out for Sweden as they have taken a very different approach. 

"He [Sweden’s chief epidemiologist, Anders Tegnell] told the BBC Sweden’s strategy meant it was better placed to face a second wave of the outbreak, because scientists estimated between 15% and 20% of the population were now immune – enough to slow and control the spread of the disease further."

I think Sweden is going for herd immunity but at the expense of a lot of the herd in the first wave. 

its more like the buffalo theory from Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems I didnt get the memo that today all restrictions are cancelled, no isolation required & we can party like its 1999. Seriously  cannot believe the bunches/groups  of cyclist, runners, & walkers out today. Our local park & beach is full of people in groups. I went for a walk by myself & others mustve thought I have no friends 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, chris said:

Is that not because it’s safe meet up with g friends and we are smart enough to work that out for ourselves and not be told by the government 

Yeah I don't know, I just saw groups of people & I thought doing stuff together, in groups was what we ought not be doing

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Seems I didnt get the memo that today all restrictions are cancelled, no isolation required & we can party like its 1999. Seriously  cannot believe the bunches/groups  of cyclist, runners, & walkers out today. Our local park & beach is full of people in groups. I went for a walk by myself & others mustve thought I have no friends 

Same down here, I went for a solo ride and met a friend halfway for a Farcoffee, but there were heaps of groups out. Mainly 3s and 4s but I did pass one bunch of 6 who then wanted to sit on my wheel - makes me not want to ride on the road for a while 😔 

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Problems is that all the restrictions are being removed giving people the impression things are back to normal. Take the supermarket for example, last week there were security guards limiting numbers with special lanes for entry, every second self checkout was closed to minimise proximity, check outs required you to bag your own groceries. Then all of a sudden these restrictions have all been eliminated and the supermarket is back to normal. Why, what has changed? Nothing officially but the supermarkets like a lot of other people have taken it upon themselves to ease restrictions

Found this article on Singapore interesting:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-25/singapore-hoped-they-contained-coronavirus-but-second-wave-hit/12172446

The migrant dorms are their big incubators. 
It reminds me that here in Brisbane there was a bit of early noise about the Kangaroo Point detention facility, but not much recently. 
Also shows you don’t know when you don’t test. 

Hey guys I’ve tried to move the Trump crap to its own thread.

Apologies for any continuity issues as there were a few cross thread posts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Prince said:

Be interesting too see of cases spike.  Selfish losers.   
Then everyone will complain for a longer shutdown. 

Can see infections flaring up and  getting out of hand and this dragging on for 12 months or more just because people don't like being told what to do now... Selfish shortminded individuals!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Can see infections flaring up and  getting out of hand and this dragging on for 12 months or more just because people don't like being told what to do now... Selfish shortminded individuals!

No, we're intelligent, we know what we're doing better than government and their advisors.

*tongue in cheek

1 hour ago, more said:

Problems is that all the restrictions are being removed giving people the impression things are back to normal. Take the supermarket for example, last week there were security guards limiting numbers with special lanes for entry, every second self checkout was closed to minimise proximity, check outs required you to bag your own groceries. Then all of a sudden these restrictions have all been eliminated and the supermarket is back to normal. Why, what has changed? Nothing officially but the supermarkets like a lot of other people have taken it upon themselves to ease restrictions

Yeah in the US they have started closing beaches 3 days after reopening them, because people were taking the piss.

I’ve just been for a ride and the number of people on our local beach is ridiculous. I want to go for  a swim this afternoon but feel that I can’t because then I become part of the problem. Our suburb only has a population of 2000 ish and there are no adjoining suburbs as we are on a peninsula so I’m stuffed if I know where everyone has come from.

Our biggest issue in Sydney is that the last few weeks the weather has been amazing. Currently 26 on the coast with a very light breeze. No one wants to be stuck at home. We need a good east coast low or an arctic blast to keep everyone indoors. 
It’s a shame Sydney’s wonderful weather is what’s causing the issue. You Melbournians are lucky you don’t have that problem :lol: 

2 hours ago, -H- said:

Same down here, I went for a solo ride and met a friend halfway for a Farcoffee, but there were heaps of groups out. Mainly 3s and 4s but I did pass one bunch of 6 who then wanted to sit on my wheel - makes me not want to ride on the road for a while 😔 

Just start coughing, they'll soon drop off!

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

So what's the solution?  Whilst it exists in the world then we will always be at risk particularly as so few people have been exposed to it.  Unless the proposal is to permanently isolate the Aus/NZ bubble from the rest of the world?  Elsewhere in this thread I think its been stated that there never has been a vaccination for a coronavirus so what makes us think it is possible this time around? 

Also as herd immunity has been mentioned a few times in this thread a Dr I heard on the radio said that without a vaccine there can be no herd immunity. 
If it did we wouldn’t need vaccines for anything. 
So the gradual exposure theory to gain herd immunity isn’t going to work. 

7 minutes ago, roxii said:

Also as herd immunity has been mentioned a few times in this thread a Dr I heard on the radio said that without a vaccine there can be no herd immunity. 
If it did we wouldn’t need vaccines for anything. 
So the gradual exposure theory to gain herd immunity isn’t going to work. 

Not sure that is correct.  If, for example, 40% of the population has been exposed to the virus and survived then that's the same as vaccinating 40% of the population providing you can't get it twice.  This is herd immunity by my understanding of the concept - should an infectious person then be in the general population then they become limited as to who they can pass it on to.  Don't get me wrong, achieving 40% (or whatever number) comes with a price in terms of human lives.  As an aside this is why the anti vaxxers get away with it in terms of other infectious diseases - they're reliant on herd immunity to stop the infections reaching them.

1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah in the US they have started closing beaches 3 days after reopening them, because people were taking the piss.

Exactly what’s happened at Maroubra and Cronulla today

18 minutes ago, truck said:

Not sure that is correct.  If, for example, 40% of the population has been exposed to the virus and survived then that's the same as vaccinating 40% of the population providing you can't get it twice.  This is herd immunity by my understanding of the concept - should an infectious person then be in the general population then they become limited as to who they can pass it on to.  Don't get me wrong, achieving 40% (or whatever number) comes with a price in terms of human lives.  As an aside this is why the anti vaxxers get away with it in terms of other infectious diseases - they're reliant on herd immunity to stop the infections reaching them.

I think standard herd immunity  needs to be 80% + to be truly effective. 
Anyway just passing on why I heard. I think everyone is learning by the day on this one. 

21 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Exactly what’s happened at Maroubra and Cronulla today

Yeah just moved them all to Kurnell by the looks of it. 

• Like 1

This one disappeared to the Trump thread, so will bring the table back.

Ignoring the bleach fiasco, if what the White House "experts" say is true, are we in for a resurgence come Winter here. If the half-life of the virus on surfaces is a couple hundred times what it is in Summer, we will either have to have all but eradicated it, or start up another round of restrictions for the Winter.

image.png.fc54b242125d089b95c47d3e4bc2d1ea.png

3 hours ago, truck said:

So what's the solution?  Whilst it exists in the world then we will always be at risk particularly as so few people have been exposed to it.  Unless the proposal is to permanently isolate the Aus/NZ bubble from the rest of the world?  Elsewhere in this thread I think its been stated that there never has been a vaccination for a coronavirus so what makes us think it is possible this time around? 

Maybe Sweden has the right plan. 

sure heaps if people will die but they were mostly going to die anyway from something in the next 10 years anyway. 

but our economy wouldn’t be farked and People would still be working. 

26 minutes ago, Peter said:

Maybe Sweden has the right plan. 

sure heaps if people will die but they were mostly going to die anyway from something in the next 10 years anyway. 

but our economy wouldn’t be farked and People would still be working. 

Have you been drinking Dettol?

What a ridiculous thing to say. Are you prepared to die 10 years early?

Edited by Dave T

This is going to be the debate that never was, 

there is a case for both arguments.

australia is now in a position to return to some normality. But we have a pm on a power trip

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Have you been drinking Dettol?

What a ridiculous thing to say. Are you prepared to die 10 years early?

If I was 80 and it was the difference between financial destruction for my children then yes.