Coronavirus

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

My daughter has planned a holiday in NZ in July.  Says she’s going to sue these people for  mental anguish while waiting to see if we get an outbreak situation.  Says she could handle a disruption or cancellation if we had an outbreak due to accidental reasons, but this blatant disregard by a couple of tossers is just beyond comprehension.  

4 hours ago, truck said:

Will be a brave pollie (read none) that exposes 12m people to CV19. Either HQ is here forever or there has to be a monumental mindset change. The stats from the UK clearly show the benefits of vaccination- and yet there is v little promotion of that here and the advertising to get vaccinated is as compelling as a soggy lettuce. 

The thing is, the aust open tennis. Players won’t do 2 weeks 

same with the F1 next jan. 

so they either have to allow people in from overseas if they are

vaccinated and can prove Covid free 48 hours before flying. 

so its a Great chance they will open up overseas travel mid January 

mind you I’ve always tipped feb 1 after the Xmas school holidays 

4 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

My daughter has planned a holiday in NZ in July.  Says she’s going to sue these people for  mental anguish while waiting to see if we get an outbreak situation.  Says she could handle a disruption or cancellation if we had an outbreak due to accidental reasons, but this blatant disregard by a couple of tossers is just beyond comprehension.  

I’d love to see that. 
governments have got state of emergency in place so they can’t get sued. 
but individuals is an interesting concept. 

10 minutes ago, Peter said:

I too have been saying feb, 2 years closed to the world is insane

25 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Well the BBC describes it as a lockdown

From the BBC

They're all restrictions really. We haven't been in proper lockdown for a while but take your point.  What's spoiling it now is the Delta variant and folks flying in and out of India for 'essential weddings'.

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

Got to disagree. Being vaccinated doesn’t necessarily mean you end up with a zero covid load, just that it’s likely to be low and you’ll have no/mild symptoms and you’re unlikely to end up in hospital.  If you then wander around 8m unvaccinated people, someone is going to get it and then it will go exponential. Unless we hit 80-90% vaccinated the borders are staying shut unless you do quarantine of some sort. 
You should also remember that we currently cannot legally leave despite being dual citizens unless we have compelling reasons to be let out (someone dies for example). ScoMo also decided that parents are no longer close family so that’s not a justifiable reason to escape or allow them in for any reason. No one is going to come here while the rest of the world allows free travel to vaccinated people and we don’t. 

7 minutes ago, FatPom said:

They're all restrictions really. We haven't been in proper lockdown for a while but take your point.  What's spoiling it now is the Delta variant and folks flying in and out of India for 'essential weddings'.

I was supposed to be in India last weekend for a wedding.  Didnt end up travelling any further than the end of the driveway 😐

4 minutes ago, truck said:

Got to disagree. Being vaccinated doesn’t necessarily mean you end up with a zero covid load, just that it’s likely to be low and you’ll have no/mild symptoms and you’re unlikely to end up in hospital.  If you then wander around 8m unvaccinated people, someone is going to get it and then it will go exponential. Unless we hit 80-90% vaccinated the borders are staying shut unless you do quarantine of some sort. 
You should also remember that we currently cannot legally leave despite being dual citizens unless we have compelling reasons to be let out (someone dies for example). ScoMo also decided that parents are no longer close family so that’s not a justifiable reason to escape or allow them in for any reason. No one is going to come here while the rest of the world allows free travel to vaccinated people and we don’t. 

We can not stayed closed much longer and this is not just a selfish reason it’s a matter of fact.

we can’t stayed closed it’s crazy we have to accept we will get cases and maybe Some will die. If you choose not to get vaccinated then don’t complain when you get really sick from covid 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

I was supposed to be in India last weekend for a wedding.  Didnt end up travelling any further than the end of the driveway 😐

I have no idea why the British Gov didn't put India on the red list weeks before they did.  Apparently it was absolutely nothing to do with an upcoming trade deal!

16 minutes ago, truck said:

Well when is your guess we will open?

I don’t agree with you but that’s cool. 

the government needs to draw a line at some point.  I’m just predicting late jan or feb 

• Like 1

Wow. 

Queensland is facing a renewed COVID scare after a Melbourne couple escaped lockdown to travel to the Sunshine Coast, where a 44-year-old woman has returned a positive result after entering Queensland on June 5.

Health authorities have identified six close contacts of the woman, who is believed to be from Greater Melbourne and was staying with family at Caloundra.

SEE A FULL LIST OF EXPOSURE SITES BELOW

The woman’s partner has tested negative but has been admitted to the Sunshine Coast University Hospital given he had spent an extended amount of time in the car with her.

The woman developed symptoms on June 3. 

Queues of cars line up for covid testing at Caloundra after a Victorian woman tested positive in the holiday town on Wednesday afternoon. Picture: Lachie Millard

Queues of cars line up for covid testing at Caloundra after a Victorian woman tested positive in the holiday town on Wednesday afternoon. Picture: Lachie Millard

It’s understood the woman and her partner only came forward for testing because the partner needed a negative Covid test result for work purposes.

Authorities have deemed it sheer luck that the case was caught.

It’s understood the woman lost her sense of smell on June 3, which is a symptom of the virus.

Health Minister Yvette D’Ath and Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young confirmed the case in an address to media at 3.30pm.

The last locally-acquired case of the virus in Queensland was recorded on April 3.

The couple left Melbourne on June 1 and crossed the Queensland border at Goondiwindi on June 5, with police suggesting it was the chosen location because of the high presence of officers on the Gold Coast border.

Ms D’Ath said the couple had also travelled to Toowoomba on their way to the Sunshine Coast.

This is from a private FB page where people trying to leave Australia talk through how to try and get out. There are some incredibly sad stories on there and the mental health impact appears massive in some cases. The person who wrote this is ok with it being shared. It might open the eyes of a few people as to the state we have let this country get in to. 

This is my take on the current situation. Do other people feel the same way?

This is a story that needs to be shared around Australia and the rest of the world where many of us have families. We need to be heard and understood and for our family and friends here and overseas to realise what is happening to a very large group of us.
We are a country where a large number of the population are migrants. Many of these migrants now have older parents living overseas who are now requiring more care, their health is declining or they are reaching their last days. 
There is now a large unheard group trying to fulfill their need to be with their families who are unneccesarily being submitted through an emotional battle to apply for an exemption to travel overseas. 
The process is extraordinarily difficult, confusing, without recourse or appeal. There is little information as to which paperwork needs to be submitted with the application. The application is often denied with the instructions to apply again and there will sometimes be an indication as to an additional document to attach which often one has already submitted. The outcome is often very subjective. 
Many of us prove we are taking our return seriously in regards to health and safety issues. We respect all Australian guidelines and directives. We provide documentation of Covid vaccines acquired, financial bank statements to indicate that we will be self sufficient while overseas, are able to pay quarantine on return ($3k) and return flights ($8-10k to be guaranteed a seat on return but even that's not foolproof) as well as documentation to prove our link to the family member we need to visit together with medical records/doctors letters about their ill health. 
This process often takes a very long week while we anxiously wait to see if our next application will be successful. In many cases numerous applications need to be resubmitted so this process stretch over what feels like an eternity.  The uncertainty is emotionally draining. I have read of individuals submitting 10- 20 applications. By the time they have been successful (not guaranteed) their family member has unfortunately finished their life on this earth. 
Some necessary compassion seems to be missing and it is putting unnecessary emotional hardship on so many people. The negative mental health repercussions on many of us will be very long lasting. 
I am one of the lucky ones who is finally holding my mums hand and giving her the care and love she deserves.❤

There are many other groups also suffering the separation......grandparents from grandchildren ......husbands and wives.....a parent from their child (youngsters or adults)......and lovers both young and old......all broken hearted from being kept apart. 

You are welcome to copy and paste my words or your own but let's make our story heard amongst those we know ❤

10 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

UNDERSTATEMENT ! Hope they throw the book at them.

Could argue that it’s the best thing to happen - Vic suddenly was interested in getting vaccinated when they realised they were back in lockdown. Qld has been completely hopeless in vaccination numbers - when the premier and CHO only bother to get vaccinated this week (and only because AP wants a holiday in Tokyo) why should anyone else bother? Remember, it’s not a race...

26 minutes ago, truck said:

Could argue that it’s the best thing to happen - Vic suddenly was interested in getting vaccinated when they realised they were back in lockdown. Qld has been completely hopeless in vaccination numbers - when the premier and CHO only bother to get vaccinated this week (and only because AP wants a holiday in Tokyo) why should anyone else bother? Remember, it’s not a race...

Exactly right.  People were lining up for 3hours yesterday in the rain at the Showgrounds to get it yesterday.  Today’s weather is the same and people will again. 

yet some people in Queensland wouldn’t even drive 45 minutes in a comfortable car and Nice weather to get the jab. 

personally I hope Queensland has a mini break out to shock their population. 

27 minutes ago, Peter said:

yet some people in Queensland wouldn’t even drive 45 minutes in a comfortable car and Nice weather to get the jab. 

Welcome back Peter.  Good to see you havn't changed a bit during the enforced break. 

• Haha 1
17 hours ago, roxii said:

Given the mouse plague in NSW I’d say put them in the stocks with cheese sticks in every orifice. 

Remind me never to get on the bad side of Roxii..............😖

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Ayto said:

There is a theme happening here.........

All he needs is a pint (or 6) of guinness in a pub in Ireland and he'll be back to his usual self

• Haha 1

My daughter and her boyfriend have a big weekend planned on the sunny coast, around a concert she's been dying to see!  Now not sure what's going to happen?  She's pissed.

My dad's up from Brissie and am taking him over to see the retirement community my in-laws live in.  Was planning on showing him the aged care facility they have on site, but no visitors allowed now.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

Well when is your guess we will open?

I don’t agree with you but that’s cool. 

the government needs to draw a line at some point.  I’m just predicting late jan or feb 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-fully-vaccinated-canadian-travellers-can-soon-return-home-without-14/

This is what we need - draw a line in the sand and get the Gov't to name a date.  Until they name a date, and what the process is for re-entry or entry (quarantine requirements) we are stuck in this world of vague promises that keep getting pushed out.  Even then, Premiers are likely to over rule it - can you imagine McGowan allowing vaccinated people in that have traveled overseas without quarantine?

With the current mindset it will be late 2022 earliest and even then there will be an uproar from the unvaccinated and lockdowns if there's any positive cases.

3 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Welcome back Peter.  Good to see you havn't changed a bit during the enforced break. 

Some people don’t like the truth. 

2 minutes ago, truck said:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-fully-vaccinated-canadian-travellers-can-soon-return-home-without-14/

This is what we need - draw a line in the sand and get the Gov't to name a date.  Until they name a date, and what the process is for re-entry or entry (quarantine requirements) we are stuck in this world of vague promises that keep getting pushed out.  Even then, Premiers are likely to over rule it - can you imagine McGowan allowing vaccinated people in that have traveled overseas without quarantine?

With the current mindset it will be late 2022 earliest and even then there will be an uproar from the unvaccinated and lockdowns if there's any positive cases.

Agree a line is needed. But I think Scomo will just make a captain’s call one day with zero warning.  

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

it turns out the couple were going to QLD for work.

suck it up Queensland. 

Nah we'll be sending them home.  One of the requirements for the job was a negative covid test...fail

In March last year the British government stressed Covid-19 was a “very mild illness for the vast majority of people”, based on the information available from Italy.

have a read of this if you are brainwashed and believe you’ll die or get very sick if you catch Covid. 
https://archive.is/2021.06.09-210155/https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/covid19-when-governments-started-lying-to-us/news-story/e23de04884ae82d03c314a3c352cb13b

• Like 2

@truck

this is what we need the premiers and Scomo to agree on 

When the state reaches a 70% vaccination rate, all restrictions will be terminated.

Social gatherings will no longer be restricted and restaurants will continue to be regulated in the normal course by the state Department of Health, which may establish new, permanent rules in light of the pandemic, the state said in a news release.

A22331A7-503F-4FCD-A6F0-0C41AB43FF22.jpeg

Foo fighters having a Vaccinated only gig in Madison Sq garden and some of their Anti Vax fans aren't happy. 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/anti-vax-foo-fighters-fans-are-renouncing-the-band-over-their-new-york-gig-2966004

Lockdown lite begins in Melbourne today.

Still need masks indoors and out.  (no change)

Still indoor pools and gyms and exercise places closed.  (no change)

Still can't have someone around to visit or see other family (no change)

Limited to how far you can travel from home (no change)

Can sit down at a cafe (the only change)

And the media are saying we have come out of lockdown.  Who are they kidding?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Lockdown lite begins in Melbourne today.

Still need masks indoors and out.  (no change)

Still indoor pools and gyms and exercise places closed.  (no change)

Still can't have someone around to visit or see other family (no change)

Limited to how far you can travel from home (no change)

Can sit down at a cafe (the only change)

And the media are saying we have come out of lockdown.  Who are they kidding?

As long as Victorians don't object, nothing will change.  Interesting though on the news this morning when they were down in Melbourne, whereas previously Victorians were very defensive of Dan and the strategy, there's a definite change in sentiment.  I particularly like the Government medical guy when asked how many people had caught CV outside responded 'none' but then still insists everyone wears masks outside.

Walking around people are objecting.  

hardly anyone in masks. Going to be interesting to see how many head to holiday homes for the long weekend. 

tipping heaps will. 

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Going to be interesting to see how many head to holiday homes for the long weekend. 

tipping heaps will. 

Aren't they all going to Qld? 

26 minutes ago, roxii said:

Had an older couple (early 60's) hitch up their van and leave the CP we are staying in this morning. Left from NE Vic and making their way to Kununurra.

I asked them last night how they had gone with finding up to date info about travel restrictions and border passes and quarantining requirements etc, especially in the wake of the couple who are all over the news after their road trip to QLD.

The response - "nah mate, haven't bothered to check. We've had this trip planned for months so that's what we are doing".

And this is why lockdowns and border closures and the like will continue for the unforeseeable future.

BTW, neither have been vaccinated even though eligible.

49 minutes ago, roxii said:

I’m going to nsw for “work”. Then only a mates place on the Gold Coast. 

I couldn’t care less about lockdowns. 

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m going to nsw for “work”. Then only a mates place on the Gold Coast. 

Via Broken Hill, Camerons corner and Birdsville.  

I'd be surprised if there isn't a crackdown at the borders for the next couple of weekends.

22 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

Via Broken Hill, Camerons corner and Birdsville.  

I'd be surprised if there isn't a crackdown at the borders for the next couple of weekends.

Nah costs too much money.  

and Queensland hasn’t got the cash to do it.  And nsw won’t help. 
and neither will Scomo. 

the feds have removed melbourne being a hot spot. No way would they pay to help Queensland. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

How about the Australian governments try doing something like this?

The campaign might be good but the compliance is France isn't that great compared to other Euro nations.

As I said before, there's no plans to open any international border anytime soon.  Hey, even domestically, the state premiers are refusing to allow fully vaccinated people to travel if they decide to lockdown or lockout anyone.  Basically they (the Feds) won't give us anything to even dream about

Scott Morrison says his government will continue to traverse the 'Australian path' of aggressive Covid-19 suppression, emphasising there'll be no international travel until medical experts say so.

The prime minister is attending the G7 summit in Cornwall in the UK as an observer and told reporters on Sunday that Australia wouldn't change its virus approach.

He said his government hadn't set a target on the number of Australians who need to be vaccinated before international travel resumes. He said this would only occur 'when the medical advice suggests we should'.

And this bit is just great as he gets to travel wherever and whenever he wants

Mr Morrison said he would 'rather be living in the arrangements we have in Australia than anywhere else in the world' and that the UK, despite a high vaccination rate, was still recording high numbers of new cases.

What he fails to mention is that unvaccinated people (ie. people who have chosen not to get vaccinated) are the ones getting sick.  Hospital admissions for fully vaccinated people are negligible.

Despite apparently hating social media, his team are very active on FB spruiking everything he does.  There's a lot of very strong commentary on his current trip, might give you  sense of how his current ban on everyone leaving (unless you're a sportsperson or pollie) is impacting people  - so much so that the page was pulled Friday night when it turned into a feeding frenzy but it is back up this morning.

7 minutes ago, truck said:

As I said before, there's no plans to open any international border anytime soon.  Hey, even domestically, the state premiers are refusing to allow fully vaccinated people to travel if they decide to lockdown or lockout anyone.  Basically they (the Feds) won't give us anything to even dream about

Scott Morrison says his government will continue to traverse the 'Australian path' of aggressive Covid-19 suppression, emphasising there'll be no international travel until medical experts say so.

The prime minister is attending the G7 summit in Cornwall in the UK as an observer and told reporters on Sunday that Australia wouldn't change its virus approach.

He said his government hadn't set a target on the number of Australians who need to be vaccinated before international travel resumes. He said this would only occur 'when the medical advice suggests we should'.

And this bit is just great as he gets to travel wherever and whenever he wants

Mr Morrison said he would 'rather be living in the arrangements we have in Australia than anywhere else in the world' and that the UK, despite a high vaccination rate, was still recording high numbers of new cases.

What he fails to mention is that unvaccinated people (ie. people who have chosen not to get vaccinated) are the ones getting sick.  Hospital admissions for fully vaccinated people are negligible.

Despite apparently hating social media, his team are very active on FB spruiking everything he does.  There's a lot of very strong commentary on his current trip, might give you  sense of how his current ban on everyone leaving (unless you're a sportsperson or pollie) is impacting people  - so much so that the page was pulled Friday night when it turned into a feeding frenzy but it is back up this morning.

It is an extremely popular decision to keep the International borders shut. No ifs or buts. Just a fact of life. This has also been proven when cases get out of control in the States. Very popular to keep number of cases low. 

I don't agree with it as i believe we are all brainwashed into this mindset of keeping the virus cases at extremely low numbers.  It is the mindset of every State Leader as well as the Feds, but more importantly, it is the wish of the majority of the population. You only have to watch any news bulletin on the drama of someone breaching quarantine or sneaking out of quarantine, i.e the recent couple that came into QLD. You would have thought they were serial killers. 

We should be focusing on keeping the death rate at very low numbers instead. 

26 minutes ago, Prince said:

It is an extremely popular decision to keep the International borders shut. No ifs or buts. Just a fact of life. This has also been proven when cases get out of control in the States. Very popular to keep number of cases low. 

I don't agree with it as i believe we are all brainwashed into this mindset of keeping the virus cases at extremely low numbers.  It is the mindset of every State Leader as well as the Feds, but more importantly, it is the wish of the majority of the population. You only have to watch any news bulletin on the drama of someone breaching quarantine or sneaking out of quarantine, i.e the recent couple that came into QLD. You would have thought they were serial killers. 

We should be focusing on keeping the death rate at very low numbers instead. 

I agree with you (there’s a surprise!). The one thing so many of us want who have family overseas is to be able to travel to see them without having to complete a Stat Dec and ‘prove’ to some faceless civil servant in Canberra that our trip is justifiable under their criteria. Rejections come thick and fast and with no justification.

I think we all suspect the problem is that (even if we are fully vaccinated) the Feds can’t manage people then coming back.

New Zealand gets it, why can’t Australia?