Coronavirus

Just now, -- AJ -- said:

To be fair,  In March  2020, I dont think any of us even considered the possibility that  we'd still be dealing with this in the 2nd half of 2021 or even 2022

Qantas international staff were told when they shut down not to expect to fly again till 2022 so it was expected. 

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

1 minute ago, -- AJ -- said:

To be fair,  In March  2020, I dont think any of us even considered the possibility that  we'd still be dealing with this in the 2nd half of 2021 or even 2022

If we listened to the media 12 months ago half of us would be dead and the other half living in financial armageddon.. 

Just now, roxii said:

Qantas international staff were told when they shut down not to expect to fly again till 2022 so it was expected. 

Not by the QANTAS CEO has been regularly predicting an imminant return to the skys since sometime last year.

Is July 1 still his predicted "return to the skys" start date?

4 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

The Fed Govt produced a report which acknowledged that their HQ solution was make-shift and had known limitations that could be compromised, and that they should seriously consider moving forward with investing in dedicated quarantine facilities, starting with fully activating Howard Springs - and they buried the report.

Putting money into employing people and building shit seems a no-brainer, but they keep pushing the 'we pay, states do' line, and then get bogged down in the financing arguments.

1 hour ago, -- AJ -- said:

Crap. You think its the only option because you dont like the alternatives (one of which the government is currently following).  Your option is very much a case of chucking all the eggs into the one basket and hoping its the right one.  It might be but if total vaccination turns out to not be the solution then theres no fallback position from there once the virus is here and in the community.  

No as this shit is never going away I mean ever, we need to vaccinate and move on and learn to live with it. Otherwise we will be locked away for ever and I am not joking. 

we are only here for a short while so we may as well make the most of it

13 minutes ago, roxii said:

Not straight away, in October last year my mate that flies international was talking 'from July 2021 as a possibility' according to the word down from above

(With a young daughter at home, he's considering staying with his second career in aged care.  I think he is realising how much he has missed travelling the world)

1 minute ago, Cottoneyes said:

Not straight away, in October last year my mate that flies international was talking 'from July 2021 as a possibility' according to the word down from above

(With a young daughter at home, he's considering staying with his second career in aged care.  I think he is realising how much he has missed travelling the world)

I just checked my post was in July where I shared what I was told by a Qantas employee. 

I see that I was a week off in the NSW over-50 roll-out.

From 3 May 2021, people 50 years and over can receive the AstraZeneca vaccine at Commonwealth Vaccination and state and territory vaccination clinics.
From 17 May 2021, people 50 years and over can receive the AstraZeneca vaccine at a participating general practice.
Form 24 May 2021, people 50 years and over can receive the AstraZeneca vaccine at a NSW-Health Vaccination Hub

Was talking to a bloke friday night in flight catering, they were with qantas, till late 2020/ early 21, sold off so didn't get any job seeker or the like as hadn't been employed for the qualifying period with the "new employer".  They have now all been "stood up", as opposed to stood down, many are refusing to come back to work, saying prove its safe with a bit of a mexican stand off going on.   Whats driving them not coming back, and they want to come back, is many have gone and got jobs because  they had no income, and scared shitless more lockdowns, cancelled flights and will be stood down again.

Edited by Oompa Loompa
8 hours ago, Yogi Bearista said:

The Fed Govt produced a report which acknowledged that their HQ solution was make-shift and had known limitations that could be compromised, and that they should seriously consider moving forward with investing in dedicated quarantine facilities, starting with fully activating Howard Springs - and they buried the report.

Putting money into employing people and building shit seems a no-brainer, but they keep pushing the 'we pay, states do' line, and then get bogged down in the financing arguments.

The issue is that if they do have dedicated facilities and the feds run it, then they should be allowed to be the ones to decide if the states borders close or not. 
The states have also wanted and also supported the use of hotels and all but for a few cases (out of the hundreds and thousands that have gone through quarantine) and the  mismanagement from Victoria, this has not been any failure at all.  When the states stuff up, they are suddenly saying it’s the feds fault for not having facilities.  Where was this mention for having dedicated facilities last year. Never heard a thing.  I do support the idea of facilities as long as I don’t ever have to stay in one and wouldn’t have to pay anything.  

It is also great to say build facilities away from the cities but you still have to transport patrons to the sites by bus which has its own risks. Remember there are many positive cases that are coming from overseas so to put them on a bus for a few hours isn’t that smart. At the moment they are transported to hotels by Ambulance so can’t see a fleet of ambulances going to a facility a few hours away.  

Edited by Prince
2 hours ago, Prince said:

It is also great to say build facilities away from the cities but you still have to transport patrons to the sites by bus which has its own risks. Remember there are many positive cases that are coming from overseas so to put them on a bus for a few hours isn’t that smart. At the moment they are transported to hotels by Ambulance so can’t see a fleet of ambulances going to a facility a few hours away.  

They currently do go by bus, at least in my state.

They currently stay in minimum 3.5, but mostly 4-5 star hotels and a large portion bitch and moan about everything under the sun.  Moving them to cabins or tents in Bumf&ck Idaho will not be popular.  Hard to get Uber eats I would imagine and they smash that too.

Do not forget that this is a massive industry in itself and keeps caterers, hotel occupancy and employment up in a variety of industries.  It also uses redeployed airlines staff.  People who suggest a FIFO arrangement have no practical knowledge of the scale of this operation.  You would need a FIFO workforce of ridiculous proportions to support a very unhappy group of Q people.  You need labs for daily testing nearby.  You then have torepatriate them from the middle of nowhere, whereas they currently walk out the front door after their stay.

People wont believe me, but it is about as good as we can hope for, all things considered.  

• Like 2

The issue is that if they do have dedicated facilities and the feds run it, then they should be allowed to be the ones to decide if the states borders close or not. 
The states have also wanted and also supported the use of hotels and all but for a few cases (out of the hundreds and thousands that have gone through quarantine) and the  mismanagement from Victoria, this has not been any failure at all.  When the states stuff up, they are suddenly saying it’s the feds fault for not having facilities.  Where was this mention for having dedicated facilities last year. Never heard a thing.  I do support the idea of facilities as long as I don’t ever have to stay in one and wouldn’t have to pay anything.  

Our millionaire family up here with their own private airport that can accommodate Jumbos has been wanting the go ahead to build a quarantine faculty for months now!  To me, that seems a perfect solution.  I think they were saying they can have it up and running in something like 6 weeks, and I believe then.

• Like 1

you go on a bus

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

They currently do go by bus, at least in my state.

They currently stay in minimum 3.5, but mostly 4-5 star hotels and a large portion bitch and moan about everything under the sun.  Moving them to cabins or tents in Bumf&ck Idaho will not be popular.  Hard to get Uber eats I would imagine and they smash that too.

Do not forget that this is a massive industry in itself and keeps caterers, hotel occupancy and employment up in a variety of industries.  It also uses redeployed airlines staff.  People who suggest a FIFO arrangement have no practical knowledge of the scale of this operation.  You would need a FIFO workforce of ridiculous proportions to support a very unhappy group of Q people.  You need labs for daily testing nearby.  You then have torepatriate them from the middle of nowhere, whereas they currently walk out the front door after their stay.

People wont believe me, but it is about as good as we can hope for, all things considered.  

uber is the highlight

3 hours ago, Prince said:

Firstly, I'm not sure I see the link between being responsible for inbound quarantine (under the Bio-Security act) and managing internal covid outbreaks? I agree that some states have been too quick to isolate but that doesn't negate the need for the state health departments to manage state health issues, regardless of how overseas quarantine is managed.

Secondly, I don't believe I said it has been a failure - you have introduced that - I said that the Fed Govt produced their own report on the HQ system (which they introduced under the Bio-Security act) that acknowledged the short-comings and limitations of what was considered at the time to be a temporary solution. The report made a recommendation that they should consider permanent quarantine facilities to replace the HQ solution, starting with the full activation of Howard Springs.

Thirdly, building dedicated facilities does not equate to building them in the Nullarbor or whatever, just that they are dedicated quarantine facilities. The intention being dedicated facilities be built in each of the capital cities, which I believe is what was being referred to by McGowan, and what Vic has suggested be built at Avalon - with Fed funding. In exactly the same way that most (all?) of the capital cities has a Fed-Govt detention facility.

Edited by Yogi Bearista
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

Firstly, I'm not sure I see the link between being responsible for inbound quarantine (under the Bio-Security act) and managing internal covid outbreaks? I agree that some states have been too quick to isolate but that doesn't negate the need for the state health departments to manage state health issues, regardless of how overseas quarantine is managed.

There is a link as the majority of the covid outbreaks have been through international quarantine.  There may still be leaks from quarantine. I.e some test positive after being let out of quarantine etc. So you can't them pass the responsibility back to the states to do the tracing and make decisions on lockdowns etc.  It would once again be a blame game and the Feds don't believe in locking down nor closing borders over 1 or 2 positive cases. 

Also, despite what the ABC reports, not all of these 'detention' centres are located close to the cities. In some states, yes, but not all, and the logistics of moving can be difficult. I am well aware they use busses presently, but there is a huge difference in a 40 minute bus trip to a 2-3 hours trip. Also, i am skeptical that they put any positive covid person on a bus with others. Hence i am pretty sure they are presently transported by ambulance in Qld anyway. 

22 minutes ago, Prince said:

There is a link as the majority of the covid outbreaks have been through international quarantine.  There may still be leaks from quarantine. I.e some test positive after being let out of quarantine etc. So you can't them pass the responsibility back to the states to do the tracing and make decisions on lockdowns etc.  It would once again be a blame game and the Feds don't believe in locking down nor closing borders over 1 or 2 positive cases. 

Also, despite what the ABC reports, not all of these 'detention' centres are located close to the cities. In some states, yes, but not all, and the logistics of moving can be difficult. I am well aware they use busses presently, but there is a huge difference in a 40 minute bus trip to a 2-3 hours trip. Also, i am skeptical that they put any positive covid person on a bus with others. Hence i am pretty sure they are presently transported by ambulance in Qld anyway. 

Seriously - you introduced this spurious response to my comment, but are you are actually suggesting that the Fed Govt implements a Fed health-care service to manage covid outbreaks and tracing, and override state border control?  Once a disease has made it into the community, it is the responsibility of the state health care system to manage the problem, and they are eminently qualified to deal with it. The blame-game is something for politicians to play, not something to base a solution on.

The Fed Gov is responsible for managing the isolation of potential inbound disease, via the quarantine and border-control system. The Bio-Security act passed that responsibility to the States by requiring them to introduce enabling state legislation for management of the HQ process, essentially outsourcing the responsibility of the role. At the time it was seen as a temporary measure, but as the Fed govt has been saying, this problem is not going to go away in a hurry, and the need for permanent quarantine facilities has already been identified and recommended.

As for the ABC reference - where did that come from? I made no comment on that, or on bus services. I simply stated that the solution being recommended was the creation of permanent quarantine facilities, in each of the capital cities, to be funded by the Fed Govt - and spending money on it would seem an electoral no-brainer.

When they go from airport to hotels they go by bus as BB has said.  Their covid status is unknown at that point anyway.  You are on the right track in some specific cases only but I will leave it there

NSW asking people under 50 to “express an interest” and go on a list to get vaccinated. Finally moving in the right direction. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, roxii said:

NSW asking people under 50 to “express an interest” and go on a list to get vaccinated. Finally moving in the right direction. 

Yeah, I think this timing is more than coincidental to the expected volume rollout from CSL's QC phase i.e. it's based around CSL's guidance on when supply will be guaranteed.

3 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

Yeah, I think this timing is more than coincidental to the expected volume rollout from CSL's QC phase i.e. it's based around CSL's guidance on when supply will be guaranteed.

I could be wrong but I’m sure they said this was for Pfizer as I still think that is the only one recommended for under 50s 

44 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

When they go from airport to hotels they go by bus as BB has said.  Their covid status is unknown at that point anyway.  You are on the right track in some specific cases only but I will leave it there

Yep, you come in, screen temp, symptoms, sit on bus for an hour with people from all over world.

Bus into Hotel.

Hotel does test, if Covid, go to covid hotel. 

If get worse need to get to Hospital ICU pronto, which is why its all in Big Cities with the best Hospitals

1 hour ago, Yogi Bearista said:

Seriously - you introduced this spurious response to my comment, but are you are actually suggesting that the Fed Govt implements a Fed health-care service to manage covid outbreaks and tracing, and override state border control?  

YES.  the states should not be managing it. They cant expect the feds to only manage the quarantine facilities and then make decisions on border closures. This is also well documented. 

It is also interesting to note, that many countries also use hotels for quarantine. Interestingly, Taiwan actually also uses home quarantining for citizens, which i believe we could and should. If we need GPS monitoring, so be it. 

Edited by Prince
1 hour ago, Diamonds. said:

No shit sherlock. I didn't say they didn't go by bus. And their covid status is sometimes known at this point. You also make some good points, but not 100% accurate, but will leave it there. 

Edited by Prince
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Prince said:

No shit sherlock. I didn't say they didn't go by bus. 

You are a deadset flog with issues.  Go see someone who can help. Better time investment for you than here.  

Just now, Diamonds. said:

You are a deadset flog with issues.  Go see someone who can help. Better time investment for you than here.  

You just need to chill as i said in my previous post to you.  Best not to take everything so serious. As Peter says,

Sook 

45 minutes ago, Prince said:

YES.  the states should not be managing it. They cant expect the feds to only manage the quarantine facilities and then make decisions on border closures. This is also well documented. 

This is outside the scope of my original comment about the report recommendations, but I can't see how that is going to work. A challenge to State border closure has already been defeated in the high-court, (Clive Palmer vs. WA Govt) and so it would require constitutional change to implement a guarantee of this power - i.e. a referendum. As for the feds managing contact-tracing rather than state health - just to avoid political arguments - it makes no sense.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Diamonds. said:

So you were not all on same flight? Or was your last leg a connection from all over the place?   Which state did you quarantine in?  I have never seen flights mixed.

The flights come in, I saw people I had never seen on the plane, caveat, I was in Business Class so who knows.

We went to the "family" hotel, quarantined in NSW

1 hour ago, Prince said:

No shit sherlock. I didn't say they didn't go by bus. And their covid status is sometimes known at this point. You also make some good points, but not 100% accurate, but will leave it there. 

There was no test prior to boarding and no test until day 3, so has some thing changed with test prior to flight

32 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

There was no test prior to boarding and no test until day 3, so has some thing changed with test prior to flight

yes, a PCR test 72 hrs before boarding, but i might be wrong in assuming they can get on a flight if they test positive. Maybe they are refused to board in this case. 

1 minute ago, Prince said:

yes, a PCR test 72 hrs before boarding, but i might be wrong in assuming they can get on a flight if they test positive. Maybe they are refused to board in this case. 

assume that is new

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

assume that is new

it seems to be Barry. From January it appears. I don't know why they don't have the immediate test kits, as i know an Aussie company has developed these. 

6 minutes ago, Prince said:

it seems to be Barry. From January it appears. I don't know why they don't have the immediate test kits, as i know an Aussie company has developed these. 

It wasn't part of our process, June.

Good that they have it now. LAX was scary. No one knew anything, we went through Minneapolis, people were every where, a number of folk during boarding were confused about having to quarantine,  they took about half an hour and decided to disembark rather than go to Sydney and Quarantine.

Quarantine was run very well in NSW, though the Manly Sea Eagles couldn't deliver any good performances.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Prince said:

There are several and they are being purchased and  used successfully by quite a few countries. I’ve been involved in arranging their export. Currently our federal government is still looking at them. 

Edited by Mike Del
  • Like 2

So going forward why could they not have a 2 tier reentry system. 
unvaccinated folk do as per current regulations, vaccinated people do two weeks home quarantine. This would allow more flights to come in as current restrictions are based on hotel rooms available. This would help bring more people home and allow some people (vaccinated) to leave on compassionate grounds with some surety of getting home. 

Also sounds like scomos team are on different WhatsApp groups, Scomo talking about locking down and Greg Hunt now talking about trying to find ways to open up. Any wonder we can’t get a clear message out about vaccinations.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, roxii said:

unvaccinated folk do as per current regulations, vaccinated people do two weeks home quarantine. This would allow more flights to come in as current restrictions are based on hotel rooms available. This would help bring more people home and allow some people (vaccinated) to leave on compassionate grounds with some surety of getting home. 

Also sounds like scomos team are on different WhatsApp groups, Scomo talking about locking down and Greg Hunt now talking about trying to find ways to open up. Any wonder we can’t get a clear message out about vaccinations.

I havent been reading about Covid as Im freaking sick of it but has it been confirmed the vaccine stops you from catching it and or passing it onto someone else? I know early on this was still a question?

6 minutes ago, more said:

I havent been reading about Covid as Im freaking sick of it but has it been confirmed the vaccine stops you from catching it and or passing it onto someone else? I know early on this was still a question?

Most recent stat I heard was from India where it was something like 0.02% of positive cases were vaccinated individuals.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, more said:

no it does not just stops you from be dead

1 hour ago, roxii said:

unvaccinated folk do as per current regulations, vaccinated people do two weeks home quarantine.

1. Six "fully vaccinated" people recently arrived from OS of whom have now tested positive to covid  Read all about it
  2. People who want to avoid the system will lie.  e.g. The 3 girl from Logan who lied about being in Melbourne
  3. History has shown that People in Home quarantine are not guaranteed to actually stay at home. 

In a perfect world, what you're suggesting is a more than feasible idea and one that should be fully supported.   But with the number of selfish pricks living in their own self indulgent sphere of phone screen induced "reality",  this is anything but a perfect world.

1 hour ago, more said:

59 minutes ago, chris said:

no it does not just stops you from be dead

And lessens the chance you'll end up in ICU. Or be hospitalised. Or the severity of symptoms. Or how likely you are to pass it on to someone else. Or the chance you'll contract it at all.

Just look at the drop off in new cases in the UK. From around 60000 new cases per day to 2000. Deaths down from 1200/day to averaging 9/day over the last week.

United Kingdom COVID: 4,434,860 Cases and 127,605 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

A similar trend for Israel. New cases down from 8000/day to 50, deaths down from 65/day to 1 or 2.

Israel COVID: 838,892 Cases and 6,377 Deaths - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Chris, (or anyone else for that matter), please don't post shit. Propagating misinformation is irresponsible.

Edited by Paul Every

Seems the federal government ban on aussies coming back from India isn’t going to hold up. 

Sydney barrister Christopher Ward, SC, acting for Mr Newman, told the court on Monday the ban purported to abrogate a common law right of citizens to re-enter their country of citizenship in circumstances but the law did not set out clearly the government’s power to take such a step.

Justice Thomas Thawley, who presided over the case, said that there was a common law right on the part of Australian citizens to enter Australia.

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

Seems the federal government ban on aussies coming back from India isn’t going to hold up. 

Sydney barrister Christopher Ward, SC, acting for Mr Newman, told the court on Monday the ban purported to abrogate a common law right of citizens to re-enter their country of citizenship in circumstances but the law did not set out clearly the government’s power to take such a step.

Justice Thomas Thawley, who presided over the case, said that there was a common law right on the part of Australian citizens to enter Australia.

Being reported it will be held up