Coronavirus

49 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

when they start under 50s

which they have not

This is not a failing of anti vaxxers, it is a failure to supply and protect our people

I think next week is when all places are open for over 50s. Once that happens they should give it 4 weeks and if uptake is not substantial enough open it up to all comers. 

• Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

Yep, this morning they say under 50's months of waiting. What are they supposed to do now, not much they can.

What should they have done to make sure we were not left in this situation?

Tehan saying country shut until late 22

Just like the months of waiting for the over 50's lol? Problem isn't supply, problem is no one wants it.. 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

This is not a failing of anti vaxxers, it is a failure to supply and protect our people

The govt has been guilty of, and burnt by, over-selling something that had a lot of caveats attached, but I'm not sure what the answer would have been to actually solving the supply problem.
As mentioned - Pfizer has refused manufacturing licenses and only produce in their own facilities, in EU and USA - with one exception for a plant in China. Both EU and USA have been restricting export of production in their zone - with the USA sitting on a pile of it now.
AstraZeneca is licensed for local production by CSL, but until last week they had been struggling to solve technical problems with achieving volume, and again the EU had been restricting export of production in their zone.
Now that CSL have solved their problems and are in full production, AZ will become widely available and perhaps a review of the over-50 limit might be looked at when stock-piles start to build.

18 minutes ago, more said:

Just like the months of waiting for the over 50's lol? Problem isn't supply, problem is no one wants it.. 

No, the problem has actually been supply - Pfizer is only available by import, and local AZ production was beset by technical problems they only solved a week-or-2 ago - which is part of the reason the general over-50 access only starts this week.

Just now, Yogi Bearista said:

No, the problem has actually been supply - Pfizer is only available by import, and local AZ production was beset by technical problems they only solved a week-or-2 ago - which is part of the reason the general over-50 access only starts this week.

Be interesting to see what's happens when it becomes available to under 50s.

I think most people just like to whinge. Everyone was whinging about not being able to get it when restricted to health care, police etc. 

But just look at Peters picture from when he got vaccinated earlier this week-absolute ghost town...

27 minutes ago, more said:

If it was a problem that no one wanted it I could get it. So is a problem of supply

Just now, BarryBevan said:

If it was a problem that no one wanted it I could get it. So is a problem of supply

No one over 50 wants it so they should start seeing how many under 50 want it. They have to give people free beer in America to have it, seems demand is overstated... 

1 minute ago, more said:

No one over 50 wants it so they should start seeing how many under 50 want it. They have to give people free beer in America to have it, seems demand is overstated... 

agree, they even gave my wife a packaged holiday to get it. if there is surplus here give it to those who want it.

1 minute ago, more said:

I'm not sure about other states, but in NSW the general release to over-50 starts this week - so perhaps the 'No one over 50 wants it' might be a bit premature?

10 minutes ago, more said:

Well...Look at the people lined up In Melb to get jabbed..

image.png.38176cd82c48c8b170242cbf7054e9c8.png

I don't know the schedule in Vic, but in NSW the general release starts on Monday - until then it's only been available in limited locations that required people go a fair bit out of their way to find it and attend - i.e. a large inconvenience factor. From next week it is supposed to become widely available via the GP network and NSW-Health clinics. I suspect the real stats for over-50 uptake only start from Monday.

32 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

I don't know the schedule in Vic, but in NSW the general release starts on Monday - until then it's only been available in limited locations that required people go a fair bit out of their way to find it and attend - i.e. a large inconvenience factor. From next week it is supposed to become widely available via the GP network and NSW-Health clinics. I suspect the real stats for over-50 uptake only start from Monday.

The numbers don’t really add up. If CSL is close to manufacturing 1M per week then according to this we are woefully short of vaccinating that number. Not sure it’s a question of supply...

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

2 minutes ago, truck said:

The numbers don’t really add up. If CSL is close to manufacturing 1M per week then according to this we are woefully short of vaccinating that number. Not sure it’s a question of supply...

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/charting-australias-covid-vaccine-rollout/13197518?nw=0

Supply is more than making them in the factory. If there are people who can't get it but want it, that is demand not met, so it's a supply issue.

Why do we have pollies and others saying just get vaccinated when they can't.

"Yes I am beating a dead horse and getting unhinged about this"

Interesting couple of headlines out today.  On the one hand;

Scott Morrison claims Australia's international borders will be closed 'INDEFINITELY' to protect our way of life as the Covid-19 pandemic continues to cause havoc across the world

and then we have the problem with closed borders.  Who seriously wants to come here (unless you're escaping something) when you know once you're here you can't leave?  Looks like we're heading back to the days of discriminatory immigration.

List of overseas workers needed

The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a shortage of skilled workers in Australia.

The Department of Home Affairs is trying to correct the imbalance and has created a Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List.

Overseas workers who fall into any of the 18 categories will be granted a special exemption to travel into Australia.

Below is a list of the occupations: 

Chief Executive or Managing Director

Construction Project Manager

Mechanical Engineer

General Practitioner 

Resident Medical Officer 

Psychiatrist 

Medical Practitioner 

Midwife

Registered Nurse (Aged Care)  

Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) 

Registered Nurse (Mental Health) 

Registered Nurse (Perioperative) 

Registered Nurses 

Developer Programmer 

Software Engineer 

Social Worker

Maintenance Planner

Registered Nurse (Medical) 

Amusing given Scomo said he would open up Australia in October. 

on the 11th of March he said 

Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed today Australia was on track to reopening its borders by the October target

6 minutes ago, Peter said:

Amusing given Scomo said he would open up Australia in October. 

on the 11th of March he said 

Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed today Australia was on track to reopening its borders by the October target

Yes but the small print read that was only for sports people, former politicians and essential workers needed to run the place, apparently

1 hour ago, truck said:

CSL state that as of May-1 they had manufactured a total of 3.7M doses, some of which was shipped to PNG, and had only just that week brought full production on-line @ 1M doses per week, with full volume production still needed to go through QC before it will start to be released in mid-late May.

Anecdotal I know - however my sister lives in a small country town in NSW front line worker / was booked for end of may for her first shot-

Received a call on 30 April telling her she could get in on 1 May which she accepted.  It seems they’d had something like 40 odd cancellations after front page story of a guy who died from AZ - retrospectively notes that it wasn’t the shot rather other issues.  The nurse said mass cancellations had been occurring every time newspaper ran front page story about someone getting sick from AZ 

Yeah it’s great how the clots get headlines and front page. 
The fact of it turning out to be unrelated ends up in page 5 behind an article for some former MAFS contestants latest plastic surgery, 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, roxii said:

The fact of it turning out to be unrelated ends up in page 5 behind an article for some former MAFS contestants latest plastic surgery, 

Yea the media have a lot to answer for , they are partly responsible for the issues with the vaccination plan

5 hours ago, truck said:

Interesting couple of headlines out today.  On the one hand;

Scott Morrison claims Australia's international borders will be closed 'INDEFINITELY' to protect our way of life as the Covid-19 pandemic continues to cause havoc across the world

and then we have the problem with closed borders.  Who seriously wants to come here (unless you're escaping something) when you know once you're here you can't leave?  Looks like we're heading back to the days of discriminatory immigration.

List of overseas workers needed

The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a shortage of skilled workers in Australia.

The Department of Home Affairs is trying to correct the imbalance and has created a Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List.

Overseas workers who fall into any of the 18 categories will be granted a special exemption to travel into Australia.

Below is a list of the occupations: 

Chief Executive or Managing Director

Construction Project Manager

Mechanical Engineer

General Practitioner 

Resident Medical Officer 

Psychiatrist 

Medical Practitioner 

Midwife

Registered Nurse (Aged Care)  

Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency) 

Registered Nurse (Mental Health) 

Registered Nurse (Perioperative) 

Registered Nurses 

Developer Programmer 

Software Engineer 

Social Worker

Maintenance Planner

Registered Nurse (Medical) 

I still do not get what everyone wants.  There is not a simple solution.  

At the moment there is a quarantine system which identifies positive cases as they enter Australia and isolates them so there is almost zero community cases.  

As a result, since the original Vic spike and resulting deaths, we have lived covid free.  There have been the odd shutdown to contain the inevitable leaks, but we soon return to our covid free existence.  

The nationwide weekly International return cap is 6362* (best I could find - ABC article dated Feb 5).  That is a lot of hotel rooms and a lot of logistics around guarding, transporting, testing, feeding etc, but it is actually a capacity of only 910 ppl per day Australia wide (remembering that 6362 x 2 for 14 day spread has people on day 1 day 2 day 3 etc all the way through to day 14).  

Some of those 910 per day are indeed essential workers, and lots quarantine regularly (ie, have done it three or more times) doing what the government deem critical or at least important work, so there are not 910 returning Aussies a day, but a mix of them and workers.  As a result there are still people waiting to get home.  There will always be a proportion of that daily number being used by workers. This means holiday travel is way, way off.  It is just maths.  

With no traditional immigration, it makes perfect sense to hunt those jobs we cannot fill.  And with plane seats capped, targetting them is prudent. 

The rolling 7 day positive average is 6-20* in the last month and that is before and after stopping flights from India.  There is plenty of covid being stopped on the way into Australia.

This whole quarantine system is massive, costs a bomb, but we have daily freedom within our shores, and none of the death and misery of everywhere else.

I cannot see anything but the status quo for a very long time, so I think ScoMo is 100% right in the above quoted article.  Nothing is changing in a hurry.

Disclaimer - * I have grabbed stats I could easily google as I have worked within the system and  I am purposely being very general. 

Edit - my maffs was wrong originally

Edited by Diamonds.
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

At the moment there is a quarantine system which identifies positive cases as they enter Australia and isolates them so there is almost zero community cases.  

As a result, since the original Vic spike and resulting deaths, we have lived covid free.  There have been the odd shutdown to contain the inevitable leaks, but we soon return to our covid free existence.  

The nationwide International return cap is 6362* (best I could find - ABC article dated Feb 5).  That is a lot of hotel rooms and a lot of logistics around guarding, transporting, testing, feeding etc, but it is actually a capacity of only 455 ppl per day (remembering that 6362 has people on day 1 day 2 day 3 etc all the way through to day 14).  

Some of those 455 per day are indeed essential workers, and lots quarantine regularly (ie, have done it three or more times) doing what the government deem critical or at least important work, so there are not 455 returning Aussies a day, but a mix of them and workers.  As a result there are still people waiting to get home.  There will always be a proportion of that daily number being used by workers. This means holiday travel is way, way off.  It is just maths.  

With no traditional immigration, it makes perfect sense to hunt those jobs we cannot fill.  And with plane seats capped, targetting them is prudent. 

The rolling 7 day positive average is 6-20* in the last month and that is before and after stopping flights from India.  There is plenty of covid being stopped on the way into Australia.

This whole quarantine system is massive, costs a bomb, but we have daily freedom within our shores, and none of the death and misery of everywhere else.

I cannot see anything but the status quo for a very long time, so I think ScoMo is 100% right in the above quoted article.  Nothing is changing in a hurry.

Disclaimer - * I have grabbed stats I could easily google as I have worked within the system and  I am purposely being very general. 

Sssssh.  You are meant to bash Scomo on this site. Please be careful or you could get banned 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Really ? Who was it ?  
Asking for a friend 

Edited by Prince
9 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

They don't know what they want either.  The Karens just need to whinge about something...anything

And stop being sensible and logical.  You know that sort of talk doesn't belong here.

6 minutes ago, Prince said:

Sssssh.  You are meant to bash Scomo on this site. Please be careful or you could get banned 

You are the cause of that shit. I am not anti or pro Scomo.  I hate both sides equally.  You are the one who thinks there needs to be a side in every discussion.  It makes this joint so painful.  I was discussing the topic and showing why Teddy Triathlons trip to Kona was no chance given the maths of quarantine.

• Like 3

Had a bit of a search before lunch, can book in in heaps places to get the vaccine tomorrow/ Tuesday if over 50 in the southern side of Sydney (ie the city) down to the burgh.  Certainly is freely available in NSW.

Was also reading heart claims re pfizer, that probably spooks me more then clotting...lol 

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

The nationwide International return cap is 6362* (best I could find - ABC article dated Feb 5).  That is a lot of hotel rooms and a lot of logistics around guarding, transporting, testing, feeding etc, but it is actually a capacity of only 455 ppl per day (remembering that 6362 has people on day 1 day 2 day 3 etc all the way through to day 14).  

Some of those 455 per day are indeed essential workers, and lots quarantine regularly (ie, have done it three or more times) doing what the government deem critical or at least important work, so there are not 455 returning Aussies a day, but a mix of them and workers.  As a result there are still people waiting to get home.  There will always be a proportion of that daily number being used by workers. This means holiday travel is way, way off.  It is just maths.  

Thank you for the explanation, especially the numbers on how many go into MIQ a day, and total number of beds.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Thank you for the explanation, especially the numbers on how many go into MIQ a day, and total number of beds.

Actually I need to amend my own maths so it is about to get an edit.  😂

35 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

Interested in your solution for the significant part of the population who have at least one blood relative living overseas - we are banned from seeing them unless they are dead and they are banned from entering.  This is quite literally ripping families apart and ScoMo just plays the politics everytime. 

26 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

You are the cause of that shit. I am not anti or pro Scomo.  I hate both sides equally.  You are the one who thinks there needs to be a side in every discussion.  It makes this joint so painful.  I was discussing the topic and showing why Teddy Triathlons trip to Kona was no chance given the maths of quarantine.

Typical    Read the post above please before making false judgements 

Edited by Prince
10 minutes ago, truck said:

Interested in your solution for the significant part of the population who have at least one blood relative living overseas - we are banned from seeing them unless they are dead and they are banned from entering.  This is quite literally ripping families apart and ScoMo just plays the politics everytime. 

I do not have one.  I cannot imagine how much that hurts.  I hope they let you go.  You just need to face the reality that you might struggle to get back in.  Then it is your choice.  * I get that it is not currently a choice, but I see that practicalities as I outlined in above post.

There is a principle in disaster management which says, “Do the greatest good for the greatest number”.  It is hard to argue that this is not the current governing principle. It sucks people cannot travel. It sucks even more people cannot see loved ones in person, but it sucks more to be Brazil or India.  

Edited by Diamonds.
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

Of what?

Of saying I am the ‘cause’.  The comment was light hearted banter.
You are way out of line buddy. 

Edited by Prince
9 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

do not have one.  I cannot imagine how much that hurts.  I hope they let you go.  You just need to face the reality that you might struggle to get back in.  Then it is your choice.  * I get that it is not currently a choice, but I see that practicalities as I outlined in above post.

We will be going irrespective of where ScoMo gets to once we’re vaccinated fully.  With family here we will come back at some point but there’s no rush. Just think we could apply for some of those critical roles on offer for skills shortages - wouldn’t that be ironic? 

50 minutes ago, truck said:

This is the same as what all the States did when they closed the borders.  No difference whatsoever.  

I don’t agree with it as I believe there should be certain countries that you should be able to travel to, however they must have low rates of infection which is fair enough. 

48 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

I do not have one.  I cannot imagine how much that hurts.  I hope they let you go.  You just need to face the reality that you might struggle to get back in.  Then it is your choice.  * I get that it is not currently a choice, but I see that practicalities as I outlined in above post.

There is a principle in disaster management which says, “Do the greatest good for the greatest number”.  It is hard to argue that this is not the current governing principle. It sucks people cannot travel. It sucks even more people cannot see loved ones in person, but it sucks more to be Brazil or India.  

Easy vaccination for everyone do it and open, it’s the only option

Just like I have booked in , it’s the right thing to do

8A9A2155-DB6C-41BF-BA32-3C7D40D84D68.png

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, truck said:

We will be going irrespective of where ScoMo gets to once we’re vaccinated fully.  With family here we will come back at some point but there’s no rush. Just think we could apply for some of those critical roles on offer for skills shortages - wouldn’t that be ironic? 

That is fair enough too.  You gotta do what you gotta do. 

The thing is, a hint of a crack in the system by way of exemptions and every man and his dog is trying to exploit it.  The whole thing is crap, definitely more for you than me, but I can’t see any other way.  

Hope it works out for you

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, chris said:

Easy vaccination for everyone do it and open, it’s the only option

Crap. You think its the only option because you dont like the alternatives (one of which the government is currently following).  Your option is very much a case of chucking all the eggs into the one basket and hoping its the right one.  It might be but if total vaccination turns out to not be the solution then theres no fallback position from there once the virus is here and in the community.  

1 hour ago, Prince said:

Of saying I am the ‘cause’.  The comment was light hearted banter.
You are way out of line buddy. 

You aren’t on your Pat Malone so let’s call it a shared thing, but it is funny you cannot even see it.  No biggie, but do not put me on “your” side again, even in banter.  

I know we keep talking vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate!  But the tack has been changed on it and it's gonna be until the end of the year before we get more Pfizer and really have any idea how long is going to take.  Sure, get AZ regardless, I am, and I wouldn't be surprisedb of my wife ends up too.  But the govt has changed recommendations on the jab for under 50s and you can't blame people for now waiting.

We need to move away from hotel quarantine something chronic and build more hubs with individual units with their own aircon and no corridors!  Should have been getting built for the last 8+ months by now.  We need a national solution agreed upon by the states and feds so that people won't be afraid to travel nationally.  We aren't travelling internationally (unless your famous or rich of course), so get the nation itself moving.

I'm one of those that this really didn't affect much.  We don't go anywhere or do anthing.  But my attitude regarding it all is the same as my reasons for getting the vaccine!  I am one of those who is at such a low risk of catching it in the community.  But I got the vaccination as soon as I could not just for me, but for everyone else too!  To help with getting things back to a sense of normally. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Diamonds. said:

You aren’t on your Pat Malone so let’s call it a shared thing, but it is funny you cannot even see it.  No biggie, but do not put me on “your” side again, even in banter.  

I guess that’s the best you can do for an apology.  

5 minutes ago, goughy said:

I know we keep talking vaccinate, vaccinate, vaccinate!  But the tack has been changed on it and it's gonna be until the end of the year before we get more Pfizer and really have any idea how long is going to take.  Sure, get AZ regardless, I am, and I wouldn't be surprisedb of my wife ends up too.  But the govt has changed recommendations on the jab for under 50s and you can't blame people for now waiting.

We need to move away from hotel quarantine something chronic and build more hubs with individual units with their own aircon and no corridors!  Should have been getting built for the last 8+ months by now.  We need a national solution agreed upon by the states and feds so that people won't be afraid to travel nationally.  We aren't travelling internationally (unless your famous or rich of course), so get the nation itself moving.

I'm one of those that this really didn't affect much.  We don't go anywhere or do anthing.  But my attitude regarding it all is the same as my reasons for getting the vaccine!  I am one of those who is at such a low risk of catching it in the community.  But I got the vaccination as soon as I could not just for me, but for everyone else too!  To help with getting things back to a sense of normally. 

That’s where I see one of the problems. We are talking a long term problem now with covid yet the govt is not initiating any long term plans as you say. If we are stuck with these travel restrictions then make more, better accommodations for returning Australians. The longer this goes on the more “exceptional” cases that will arise. It’s one thing to say it’s problematic bringing citizens home it’s another thing entirely to not do anything to help the situation. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Diamonds. said:

The issue with what Scomo said was “ we will stay shut indefinitely “

he should have said until this or this or this happens, we won’t be throwing the doors open internationally. 

give those that want to travel to see family in the uk or USA some hope. 

To say indefinitely shut says no end. 

he is grounding the country like he is the parent of a kid. 

even a parent says, you are grounded u til you blah blah blah and then you’ll be able to go to the shopping centre again. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, roxii said:

That’s where I see one of the problems. We are talking a long term problem now with covid yet the govt is not initiating any long term plans as you say. If we are stuck with these travel restrictions then make more, better accommodations for returning Australians. The longer this goes on the more “exceptional” cases that will arise. It’s one thing to say it’s problematic bringing citizens home it’s another thing entirely to not do anything to help the situation. 

As mentioned before - Howard Springs alone has an existing capacity for 3000 but remained limited to 500 until recently upgraded to 850. Part of the reason for the India delay was they wanted to empty Howard Springs, and needed a couple of weeks to do it. Only now are they talking about opening it up to 2000. Of course, they need to spend some money to activate the closed facilities, but the point is they have known about this for well over a year, and done nothing - and that's pathetic.

• Like 2

And just by way of disclosure I didn’t vote for scomo and don’t like him but applaud what he and the govt did up until a few months ago.

He was classic Scottie from marketing,

problem is now we need Scottie from facilities,  and they don’t seem to know where to go. 
It seems like a no brainer, they can write massive cheques and get stuff moving and cop zero flak from the electorate , in fact it would probably help their re election but they seem paralysed, by what I don’t know. 

1 minute ago, roxii said:

And just by way of disclosure I didn’t vote for scomo and don’t like him 

I'm shocked and amazed an Irish person who works in construction voted Labor 😳

😂

2 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

the point is they have known about this for well over a year, and done nothing - and that's pathetic

To be fair,  In March  2020, I dont think any of us even considered the possibility that  we'd still be dealing with this in the 2nd half of 2021 or even 2022

Just now, more said:

I'm shocked and amazed an Irish person who works in construction voted Labor 😳

😂

Hey at least I’m not a union delegate.