Coronavirus

5 hours ago, Prince said:

actually you are incorrect as am I. Strategy is clearly defined on the government website.  Maybe the ABC just aren't reporting it. 

THis is the definition of a plan from the dictionary.

a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.

The 'plan' as published fails to meet that criteria - where is the detail, the timeline? What are the contingencies? The problem is a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something means it needs to be quantifiable (put some numbers around it in order to measure success/failure) but that makes them accountable which is the last thing they want.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

1 minute ago, truck said:

THis is the definition of a plan from the dictionary.

a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something.

The 'plan' as published fails to meet that criteria - where is the detail, the timeline? What are the contingencies? The problem is a detailed proposal for doing or achieving something means it needs to be quantifiable (put some numbers around it in order to measure success/failure) but that makes them accountable which is the last thing they want.

Ah, yeah, the proposal is to vaccinate. 

perhaps you might show me ANY  country in this big wide world who meets your criteria please.  

That is because no one can put any timeline to the virus.  

34 minutes ago, roxii said:

also the govt could put out aspirational targets like borders reopening and tie them to vaccine take up put the ball back in our court it’s a win wiN for the govt 

As soon as the Govt puts out targets that are subsequently not met (for whatever reason), they get slammed from pillar to post by every opinionated know-it-all with a public facing channel.  

One only needs to look at the the 4m vaccination target that was published earlier as a perfect example of what happens to those who over promise when they dont have total control of all aspects of the situation and subsequently fail to get anywhere near the target.

And given that average Joe only notices that the target wasnt met but doesnt give a rats why, I can understand why the Govt is hesitant to stick its neck out.

And if they do meet the target, it generally doesnt reach the public forums because sucess doesnt make attention seeking, click bait media news.

• Like 2

It is very hard to plan beyond vaccination. By need they were rolled out fast, the AZ issue while statistically not significant is enough to bother people.

Yes the chance of death or issue from COVID is much higher, but people in Oz don't have covid.

54 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It is very hard to plan beyond vaccination. By need they were rolled out fast, the AZ issue while statistically not significant is enough to bother people.

Yes the chance of death or issue from COVID is much higher, but people in Oz don't have covid.

I'm sure you mean we don't have covid in Aust YET.

I booked in for my AZ shot yesterday at one of the mass vacc clinics which opened in Perth on Monday. The first appointment I could make was June 15, with two weeks either side of my flu shot in late May being ruled out. 

So, 12 weeks until my second shot in September when I'll be fully vaccinated. Who knows what the status of covid in Australia will be by then?

Assessing the minimal risk of adverse reaction to AZ shot against the current covid situation in Aust, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the virus is more prevalent than ever globally and assuming Australia's quarantine, tracing and outbreak control systems will be forever satisfactorily robust to maintain our current lifestyles.........that's a huge assumption.

Get vaccinated asap. 

Delaying that commitment to when covid becomes a problem in Australia or when there's more data or any other spurious reason is simply irresponsible. Covid has the potential to spread very rapidly. Getting fully vaccinated takes months.

I'm yet to hear anyone who is reluctant or hesitant to get the vaccinated, cogently explain how we're going to otherwise get out of this, either as a nation or globally. Mass vaccination is our only way forward.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

I booked in for my AZ shot yesterday at one of the mass vacc clinics which opened in Perth on Monday. The first appointment I could make was June 15, with two weeks either side of my flu shot in late May being ruled out. 

So, 12 weeks until my second shot in September when I'll be fully vaccinated. Who knows what the status of covid in Australia will be by then?

Assessing the minimal risk of adverse reaction to AZ shot against the current covid situation in Aust, while simultaneously ignoring the fact the virus is more prevalent than ever globally and assuming Australia's quarantine, tracing and outbreak control systems will be forever satisfactorily robust to maintain our current lifestyles.........that's a huge assumption.

Get vaccinated asap. 

Delaying that commitment to when covid becomes a problem in Australia or when there's more data or any other spurious reason is simply irresponsible. Covid has the potential to spread very rapidly. Getting fully vaccinated takes months.

I'm yet to hear anyone who is reluctant or hesitant to get the vaccinated, cogently explain how we're going to otherwise get out of this, either as a nation or globally. Mass vaccination is our only way forward.

Agree.  Get Vaccinated.  I can’t get in to my GP until a week before Cairns IM so I personally might wait until after just in case. I may see if I can get in anywhere else though first. 

I know that the virus is still prevalent in hot climates but I just get the feeling it might spike here in Winter.  No evidence except there are a lot of running noses and coughs around this time plus more indoor congregations.  

2 minutes ago, Prince said:

Agree.  Get Vaccinated.  I can’t get in to my GP until a week before Cairns IM so I personally might wait until after just in case. I may see if I can get in anywhere else though first. 

Google Commonwealth Respiratory Clinics. They are the ones with lots of vaccine, GPS are still only getting about 50 per week 

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Get vaccinated asap. 

Yep, there are basically 3 options.

1. Continued isolation from the world - for as long as quarantine works and no major outbreaks occur.
  2. Herd-immunity via infection & outbreaks - and accept the inevitable death rate.
  3. Herd-immunity via immunization - and accept the rare side-effects and potential deaths.

At the moment, the community is not being motivated to choose #3, because of a lack of urgency and a complacent belief that #1 can continue be an option.

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

1. Continued isolation from the world - for as long as quarantine works and no major outbreaks occur.
  2. Herd-immunity via infection & outbreaks - and accept the inevitable death rate.
  3. Herd-immunity via immunization - and accept the rare side-effects and potential deaths.

At the moment, the community is not being motivated to choose #3, because of a lack of urgency and a complacent belief that #1 can continue be an option.

yeah, I dont understand why they dont be more inventive with the marketing of the vaccine.  A few adverts with sport stars and Celebs pushing the vaccines would easily do the trick. 

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Covid seems to be "escaping" more and more, suspect its just a matter of time before we get a proper outbreak.... winter is coming.  

Its why I got it early. 

19 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its why I got it early. 

I'm in two minds, my mrs can't get the vaccine yet so little point in getting myself done and i'm very healthy metabolically so not real worried about getting really sick from it.

I also noted that slo mo got the pfizer one when he jumped the queue so not sure if should just wait until nobody is queing to get. He gets secret messages from God so probably something in getting pfizer one.

1 hour ago, Yogi Bearista said:

And yet still reserve the right to jump up and down when we put a short term halt on being "open" to a country with amasive outbreak, as we need to preserve "the unaliencable right to return home to your country..... (where you have a passport of convenience, so you can take advantage of our systems when it suits you only, or when you hedged your bets to make lots of money and it went pear shaped so you want to come home)"

• Like 1

I wonder if the government will refund my passport given they are the ones stopping us using them. The last 12 months I’m cool with. But if this is going to continue for 2-3 more years ....

NSW - we have 2 cases of community transmission.  We don't know where it came from.  It's been out in the community infectious for a while.  Thsi is extremely dangerous as it is highly infectious. 

NSW - it's the same genomic sequence as a traveller in hote quarantine - but we don't knwo the intermediate step and how it got out.   It has been out there infectious in the community in many venues for ages.  This is bad. 

Other States - shut the doors to Sydney hotspot people. Isolate isolate isolate! 

COVID 19 - I CBF anymore.  GO about your business people, nothing to see here. 

0 new cases. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Peter said:

I wonder if the government will refund my passport given they are the ones stopping us using them. The last 12 months I’m cool with. But if this is going to continue for 2-3 more years ....

would be smart politics re election time...upon renewal, a discount or time extension, good thing for middle class swing voters.   Only thing, slo mo would do another flip flop and say the borders have been open, ie they approved people like slater leaving who could commentate from a video feed, hardly essential. 

48 minutes ago, Turts said:

NSW - we have 2 cases of community transmission.  We don't know where it came from.  It's been out in the community infectious for a while.  Thsi is extremely dangerous as it is highly infectious. 

NSW - it's the same genomic sequence as a traveller in hote quarantine - but we don't knwo the intermediate step and how it got out.   It has been out there infectious in the community in many venues for ages.  This is bad. 

Other States - shut the doors to Sydney hotspot people. Isolate isolate isolate! 

COVID 19 - I CBF anymore.  GO about your business people, nothing to see here. 

0 new cases. 

some in the sewage too   ........

Marrickville sewage network (sampled 3 May 2021)

This catchment includes about 42,000 people and takes sewage from the following suburbs: Dulwich Hill, Marrickville, Summer Hill, Lewisham, Ashfield, Haberfield, Petersham, Lilyfield and Leichhardt.

Edited by Oompa Loompa
3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Get vaccinated asap. 

I agree with you, I'm trying to reason why we are where we are. Why is NZ also slow

3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Get vaccinated asap. 

Get vaccinated asap. 

Sure, yes I want to, but I'm under 50, I'm not hesitant but can't get it so we need something better than get it done.

If there are vaccines in countyr not going into arms then lets register interest from those not in priority groups and text them and say come on in.

In the USA where anti vax is strong, my wife and her friend got a package deal with cheap accomodation in Richmond VA packaged up with the shot. DC area had no spare shots

3 hours ago, Prince said:

I know that the virus is still prevalent in hot climates but I just get the feeling it might spike here in Winter.  No evidence except there are a lot of running noses and coughs around this time plus more indoor congregations.  

How:

Based on the information you gave us, it looks like you are not a part of the current phase

4 hours ago, Yogi Bearista said:

I can’t honestly believe the amount of people who are happy to keep the borders shut 

I don’t think they go anywhere anyway so they don’t care and tbh this is why we should should we open once the vulnerable have been vaccinated because let’s face it we have to open at some point and then there will be covid believe me it’s going to happen. 

I say draw a line in the sand say 1 October for example  and that  if you have not been vaccinated because you can’t be ducked then I say Fuxk you let the rest of us whose chose the get vaccinated get on with our lives 

Edited by chris
1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

I agree with you, I'm trying to reason why we are where we are. Why is NZ also slow

I realise, Barry. Although I quoted you and responded specifically to what you wrote in my initial sentence, the rest of what I wrote was general in nature.

:thumbup1:

Just now, Paul Every said:

I realise, Barry. Although I quoted you and responded specifically to what you wrote in my initial sentence, the rest of what I wrote was general in nature.

Yeah, I'm keen to get my jag, noticed NZ has also been slow:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/22/victorious-over-covid-australia-and-new-zealand-grapple-with-vaccine-rollout

15 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

General in nature

thats the line I use when I say to a Client you should put some money into super because I don’t have an asfl 

17 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

We're in a fortunate position of CSL producing AZ locally, with production volume increasing. Hopefully we'll soon be in a position to export significant quantities throughout the region. 

3 hours ago, Turts said:

I was at the supermarket today - I'd estimate 20% not wearing masks, including many of Coles' employees.

24 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

We're in a fortunate position of CSL producing AZ locally, with production volume increasing. Hopefully we'll soon be in a position to export significant quantities throughout the region. 

Why can't I get it now? If we are in a position to export why not roll it here, everyone above is saying just get vaccinated, okay, how?

23 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

Hopefully we'll soon be in a position to export significant quantities throughout the region. 

But then we have the optics of a vaccine Australians won’t use because they reckon it’s not safe (waiting for Pfizer which of course has zero side effects...), been generously given to poorer nations. 2nd class citizens anyone? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had the AZ jab already so think it’s a fantastic thing to do but if you were in any of those countries I’m sure you’d be questioning it’s efficacy.

2 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Why can't I get it now? If we are in a position to export why not roll it here, everyone above is saying just get vaccinated, okay, how?

From the numbers on the TV just now for Qld, looks like we’ve done all of 5000 doses in a 4 day week. This is going to take years - agree totally with you, open it up at noon every day and go for it. At the moment they’re running the clinic here 7.15 until 2pm I think 5 days/week - why not until 6pm 7days/week?

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

21 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Because CSL has yet to reach full production volume? I don't think we've exported any CSL stock yet, but I could be wrong. I think we may have sent some vaccines to PNG.

Just now, Paul Every said:

Because CSL has yet to reach full production volume? I don't think we've exported any CSL stock yet, but I could be wrong. I think we may have sent some vaccines to PNG.

Thank you, can we all now stop saying just go get vaccinated

38 minutes ago, truck said:

But then we have the optics of a vaccine Australians won’t use because they reckon it’s not safe (waiting for Pfizer which of course has zero side effects...), been generously given to poorer nations. 2nd class citizens anyone? Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had the AZ jab already so think it’s a fantastic thing to do but if you were in any of those countries I’m sure you’d be questioning it’s efficacy.

AZ is the most widely used vaccine in the world, being distributed in over 140 countries, including being used in India, Indonesia and PNG.

Given the infinitesimal odds of a fatal blood from AZ compared to the risk of death from covid in those countries, it's a very good option.

If we start losing lives to covid in Australia, don't be surprised if the government's recommendations re AZ vs Pfizer for the under 50s justifiably changes as the risk profiles shift, especially if we're still waiting on the importation of Pfizer.

Edited by Paul Every
8 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Thank you, can we all now stop saying just go get vaccinated

I did say "get vaccinated ASAP".

What's wrong with that?

I realise there's limitations in the supply, production, importation, delivery, etc.

1 minute ago, Paul Every said:

I did say "get vaccinated ASAP".

What's wrong with that?

I realise there's limitations in the supply, production, importation, delivery, etc.

Suppose nothing, just feels like there is an overwhelming just get vaccinated sentiment as if it is a anti vax thing when it is a failure to supply it to people who want to get it.

Maybe we should be saying to our government just supply it

5 minutes ago, Paul Every said:

As at May-1 CSL had manufactured 3.7M doses, and have now reached production level of 1M doses per week - with the volume releases due from mid-May after QC process is completed.

We have commitments under the COVAX program, but I believe that the bulk of the initial release will be allocated to local use.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Yogi Bearista said:

I was at the supermarket today - I'd estimate 20% not wearing masks, including many of Coles' employees.

In Sydney?

17 minutes ago, Yogi Bearista said:

Yep.

I was at a few places today, Westfield miranda, Coles and bunnings, I’d estimate maybe 5%, not wearing masks. Usual suspects, too cool 20 something males, and middle aged males. 

Well if we go back and look at the health officials advice they said if 70% wore masks, we’d be okay. 

so if only 5% aren’t, we should be fine 

10 minutes ago, roxii said:

I was at a few places today, Westfield miranda, Coles and bunnings, I’d estimate maybe 5%, not wearing masks. Usual suspects, too cool 20 something males, and middle aged males. 

Yeah - 20% might be stretching it I guess - but way more than 5% where I was - Penrith of the North - a clear 'statement' being made by the local bogan element, who all looked ready to confront anyone who even looked at them - however I was quite taken aback by supermarket and other shopping-centre staff not wearing masks.

Edited by Yogi Bearista

In the paper today 

The risk of a disastrous coronavirus outbreak in Australia is now at its highest level since the pandemic began and continued escapes from quarantine can be expected at least every month.

James McCaw, an epidemiologist and mathematical biologist with the University of Melbourne who is leading a research team providing modelling on the pandemic to the Australian federal government, said it was “absolutely inevitable” that the virus would spread within Australia.

McCaw said while a spate of outbreaks from the hotel quarantine system over the past six months had been managed incredibly well, the nation had also been lucky.

It is, he said, just a matter of time before one of the outbreaks would avoid the best efforts of contact tracers and widespread vaccination of the young and old remains the only way to prevent hospitals being overwhelmed.

2 hours ago, truck said:

From the numbers on the TV just now for Qld, looks like we’ve done all of 5000 doses in a 4 day week. This is going to take years - agree totally with you, open it up at noon every day and go for it. At the moment they’re running the clinic here 7.15 until 2pm I think 5 days/week - why not until 6pm 7days/week?

Really 5000 if so that’s shocking 

53 minutes ago, chris said:

Really 5000 if so that’s shocking 

Assume that’s medical staff only.  

AP can’t do too much or Queenslanders will realise they don’t need her. 

Is there enough vaccine in Aus to vaccinate more? If not, what are they supposed to do?

I'm under 50 so can't have AZ (though would if was given the option), but there isn't enough Pfizer available to allow me to get vaccinated using my allied health worker status. 

• Like 1

Yep, this morning they say under 50's months of waiting. What are they supposed to do now, not much they can.

What should they have done to make sure we were not left in this situation?

Tehan saying country shut until late 22

24 minutes ago, Katz said:

Is there enough vaccine in Aus to vaccinate more? If not, what are they supposed to do?

I'm under 50 so can't have AZ (though would if was given the option), but there isn't enough Pfizer available to allow me to get vaccinated using my allied health worker status. 

Pfizer will remain a problem until supplies from EU or USA can be secured, as they won't license production.
Maybe Biden's threat to waive their patents and allow generic production might change that.
AZ has also been in short supply, but will start to exceed 'demand' over  the coming weeks, now that CSL are finally in full production @ 1M doses per week

1 hour ago, Katz said:

You can get AZ if you want when they start under 50s. 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

You can get AZ if you want when they start under 50s. 

when they start under 50s

which they have not

This is not a failing of anti vaxxers, it is a failure to supply and protect our people