• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Reefy was on his way back to Oz, but now stuck in Phuket. Flight cancelled, no refund. I can think of worse places to be stuck, but still... 

Screenshot_20200228-220737.png

Screenshot_20200229-080109.png

Edited by -H-
16 hours ago, Peter said:

So are 600 pro cyclists going to be sitting in an Abu Dabi hotel for the next 2 weeks? It'll put a dent in a lot of teams' plans for the early season. 

But on a lighter note, could you imagine some of the zwift sessions they could organise.

3 hours ago, Prince said:

Is any of this hysteria ?

Yes. 
not everyone dies that gets it.  

then someone says but some people do.  

some people also die from car accidents. 
and  from guns. 

yet still nothing about controlling them. 

3 hours ago, -H- said:

_20200304_040645.JPG

I saw last night that people were buying toilet paper at Costco.  

I didn’t know the virus gave you diarrhea.   

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

I saw last night that people were buying toilet paper at Costco.  

I didn’t know the virus gave you diarrhea.   

Some countries have all their toilet paper made in China, so they are panic buying because people think they may run out. Most of ours is made here, but I suppose it's fun to participate. :)

On a more serious note, my son got an email from the Uni last night telling him that a student had come down with Coronavirus, but he had not attended classes since he had returned to the country from China. Unfortunately his flatmate had, but he is now in isolation as well. Apparently there were about 7,000 Chinese students around the country that beat the travel ban by travelling to Dubai first, then coming here.

49 minutes ago, AA7 said:

OK own up, have any of you bought 6000 bog rolls this week? If so, why?

I bought 10 rolls Monday night, but that was because we were down to 2 left in the house. This is the photo I took at Woolies to show my wife how ridiculous people were becoming.

Earlier in the day when she'd forgotten to buy the TP, she bought the 2nd last bag of rice at the shop.

20200302_205340.thumb.jpg.a35136d29e9aa3ef277fb22fde2f3f75.jpg

ETA: Not a good advertisement for Quilton.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
16 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

ETA: Not a good advertisement for Quilton.

The gold stuff is rubbish. 

it can’t fit on the holder at home.  Its too Thick.  

20 minutes ago, Limited said:

Why does everyone need so much toilet paper?  Won’t everyone be quarantined for just 2 weeks if worse come to worse. 

And surely Coles & Woolies will continue doing their home deliveries.

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Toilet paper ran out in our local supermarket this afternoon, went there just after work and a good 80% of the bottled water shelves was also depleted

That’s just farking weird.  Water out of the tap is fine.  A nuclear bomb hasn’t gone off. 

45 minutes ago, Limited said:

Why does everyone need so much toilet paper?  Won’t everyone be quarantined for just 2 weeks if worse come to worse. 

Not sure if it was here or somewhere else but in some countries toilet paper is made in China. 
but not the case in Australia. Its all Made here.  
we won’t run out.  And if we do, just break into peoples garages.  

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Toilet paper ran out in our local supermarket this afternoon, went there just after work and a good 80% of the bottled water shelves was also depleted

1 hour ago, Peter said:

That’s just farking weird.  Water out of the tap is fine.  A nuclear bomb hasn’t gone off.

It's not like there's a heap of trail runners out there crapping in water catchment areas...............any more than usual.

Edited by Paul Every

I transited through Seoul on my way back to Oz. I now can not fly back to work for 21 days. I will have to work in our head office for a week 😥

My next flight booking is a 48 hour trip via Singapore and Istanbul. Most of the Asian flight hubs are on the do not travel list - HK, Beijing, Taiwan, Seoul, Tokyo.

To rob from a friend
I can’t believe people are ready for armageddon or the apocalypse. The fact that people are stockpiling toilet paper makes me think they feel this virus is more gastric than respiratory.

I’m less scared of the virus then I am of sharing the planet With people that think stockpiling toilet paper and not drinking Corona beer is an effective way of staying safe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It's super weird. Hand sanitizer, masks, yeah that makes sense. TP? That's weird.

It would seem it is in the wild in Aus now. Practice good hand hygiene and be smart. Panic and hoarding TP won't help.

My brother is in the airline industry in the USA. Apparently it's already wrecking havoc in that sector. The economy is going to hurt and the RBA rate cut won't do anything IMO. You can't undo fear with a 0.25 per cent rate cut.

9 hours ago, roxii said:

I’m less scared of the virus then I am of sharing the planet With people that think stockpiling toilet paper and not drinking Corona beer is an effective way of staying safe. 

But guessing you’ve stocked up on shampoo Roxii?

• Haha 2

I think at this point any travel restrictions aren't about stopping the virus, but about maintaining a "soft" start-up to ensure medical facilities can cope.

And on a lighter note, expect delays crossing the Gateway Bridge this morning.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/national/coronavirus-truck-carrying-toilet-paper-catches-fire/ck7dps2nh00220gsice7oz7xd

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

Meanwhile in Thailand

image.png.ded89749bc14af258df0ec000bf9655c.png

And Phuket is one of the locations that the Universities in Aus were telling their Chinese students to stop-over in to be able to get back here for study.

Just had to join the dunny paper lunacy because we are almost out, and so are all the shops in town!  Got the last bulk pack in Aldi for about $12.  Could have easily auctioned it out the front for $100 😃

Every 2nd person had a huge pack. Frikin crazy, but if you are almost out, what can you do? 

I imagine in a week it will all be sorted.

1 minute ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Just had to join the dunny paper lunacy because we are almost out, and so are all the shops in town!  Got the last bulk pack in Aldi for about $12.  Could have easily auctioned it out the front for $100 😃

Every 2nd person had a huge pack. Frikin crazy, but if you are almost out, what can you do? 

I imagine in a week it will all be sorted.

I can't imagine it going that long. From what I've heard there is absolutely no shortage at the suppliers, so they are just restocking the stores as soon as a new shipment gets in. They aren't going to run out. Surely everyone will run out of space to store it all at home in the next day or 2.

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I can't imagine it going that long. From what I've heard there is absolutely no shortage at the suppliers, so they are just restocking the stores as soon as a new shipment gets in. They aren't going to run out. Surely everyone will run out of space to store it all at home in the next day or 2.

True.

But in the meantime, that's retirement sorted !1010760121_DunnyPaper.thumb.jpeg.c67dcf62c1a7b2c0276d1b2f0c9a9cf2.jpeg

• Haha 1

One of the pet rescue sites is offering a free roll of toilet paper with every dog adopted.

I buy a big pack of TP every couple of weeks - this weekend is my restock weekend.  I am going to wear a big hat and glasses because I'm going to be so embarrassed going through the checkout thinking other people are going to think I'm a panic buyer.....

Was chatting to my GP yesterday and she said that people are asking for, rather than her offering a flu shot for the upcoming season.  I wonder whether the strain on the health system, which is what I imagine the main issue is, will be offset by a decrease in "standard" flu infections due to increased vaccination and obsessive hygiene in the general population. 

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Agree.  The nutters buying 50 rolls of loo paper aren't doing it everyday.  Once they have their supply, they won't be back until they drop below 30 rolls I'd figure.

It will all blow over by next weekend.

Mind you then it will be something else stupid.  

Bottled water? NFI why as the water supply is fine

Approx 3,300 people have died of Coronavirus so far this year. 

Approx 140,000 people have died from suicide so far this year.

Just wash your hands and get back on with the important things in life.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

A local here commented the TP buying is not occurring by locals, but instead looks to be people from the city driving to surrounding towns in a panic to buy the stocks there.  If this is correct, it is not just people buying all stock from their local shops, but also driving over an hour to go and find more

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Approx 3,300 people have died of Coronavirus so far this year. 

Approx 140,000 people have died from suicide so far this year.

Just wash your hands and get back on with the important things in life.

While I agree with your concision I think the first part is not quite right.

Yes, "only" 3,300 people have died. But it has infected relatively few people. The mortality rate is about 3%. That's the same estimate as the Spanish flu. That infected 30% of the worlds population and killed 30 million people.

We are in a better place now as they are likely to develop a vaccine, and hence not have years of it. We are better at containing it.

I'm relatively young, children are apparently almost unaffected. But if you are older it's worth taking precautions once it is spread in your community.

And I should add that I am just a dude on the internet thinking out loud after googling. Don't take my word for any of the above.

Edited by dazaau

No photo description available.

"Where are we going Piglet?" asked Pooh.

"We need to get supplies," said Piglet. "For the Coronavirus"

"Ahh," said Pooh, nodding in understanding. "Things like bread, milk, cough mixture, tissues and cat litter even though we don't have a cat?"

Piglet did a little laugh, and a sort of leap and bit of a cough. "No," said Piglet. "No, those aren't the sort of supplies we need at all! What we need are family sized bags of chocolate buttons, massive toblerone, jelly babies and crunchies and a freezer full of stuffed crust pizzas, and all of the Prosecco that we can possibly carry, so that when we get quarantined we won't mind it even slightly. THOSE are supplies."

All of a sudden, Pooh thought that the idea of coronavirus didn't seem quite so bad, and actually, getting quarantined with Piglet and their supplies really didn't sound such a terrible thing after all. "Oh Piglet," said Pooh. "I really do think you are a very wise animal."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, dazaau said:

Yes, "only" 3,300 people have died. But it has infected relatively few people. The mortality rate is about 3%.

That's not the reality though.  It's killed 3.4% of people that have tested positive but most countries are still only testing those with more severe symptoms and as testing broadens out the rate of deaths is dropping pretty rapidly.  If everyone was tested you'd likely find that many, many people have it with few or no symptoms.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Katz said:

What are the numbers coming out of Korea? I understand they have implemented a massive testing scheme. 

Much lower death rate. 

6,300 cases, 40 deaths.

• Like 1

Do we think any Australian events are in danger of cancellations or reduced fields ? Take the Gold Coast Marathon for instance with its normally significant Japanese participation rate.