• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mike Del said:

The problem is with the measures we now have in place have failed everywhere else while stronger measures have worked elsewhere. Currently once we reach ICU capacity in April we could double the ICU beds and that would be full in 2 or 3 days.

Stronger measures have worked elsewhere????? You mean like Italy that has been locked down now for a few weeks and still the number of deaths climb. Other European countries are doing better such as Sweden and they are following the same principles as us.

By the way, I was down at the local beach having a swim today keeping my distance from everyone when a mum turns up with 2 kids on their scooters. Wow, that is great. I thought closing the schools meant that we keep the kids at home. Not hooning around spreading their germs to the older generations.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

By the way, I was down at the local beach having a swim today keeping my distance from everyone when a mum turns up with 2 kids on their scooters. Wow, that is great. I thought closing the schools meant that we keep the kids at home. Not hooning around spreading their germs to the older generations.

Strong logic..getting upset at mum not isolating...while you are not isolating...

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Diamonds said:

There are people down here spitting on fruit in shops and coughing on people for laughs if rumours are true. 

If someone spits or coughs at me on purpose then I will defend myself with a straight right and let the cops sort it out later.

• Sad 1
38 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Stronger measures have worked elsewhere????? You mean like Italy that has been locked down now for a few weeks and still the number of deaths climb. Other European countries are doing better such as Sweden and they are following the same principles as us.

As per the chart Ex posted earlier in this thread there is over a weeks lag. Everywhere a lock down happens the rates then get worse very rapidly, but that is because the cases are only being reported then, due to the lag. This is why governments are acting well ahead of any serious numbers, because the reality is that the real numbers can be 10x the confirmed cases.

Kids are less risky than adults it seems. Did they touch or come near you? if not then what is the main issue?  And if you are in an older generation you should be being more careful than anyone else, society will do its best to protect risky cohorts but it is incumbent on them to help themselves. 

Older people take to being stuck indoors better than kids in any case....

7 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Kids are less risky than adults it seems. Did they touch or come near you? if not then what is the main issue?  And if you are in an older generation you should be being more careful than anyone else, society will do its best to protect risky cohorts but it is incumbent on them to help themselves. 

The kids did come close, but that is not my point. People are screaming to say shut the schools down but that will just mean that a lot of kids will just mingle with the rest of the population. My point is that the kids should be at home attending school online if they are not at school. Otherwise they are truants.

If people think shit is bad now, just wait till Woolies and Coles start restricting customers on premises.

Mrs works at woolies and apart from issuing of disposable gloves (which most dont wear anyway), they aren't doing much to prevent possible transmission.

Sooner or later, one of two things will happen she says

1. No customers in store, only staff. All groceries either delivered or picked up by customer with drive through like service.

Open boot, groceries get placed inside and then the customer drives off, no direct interaction 

2. Customers in store during the day, but no staff to serve them apart from checkout operators (who will be behind screens) and all shelves stocked over night.

Mrs in on the OHS committee at her store and cant get an answer from anyone above her what they are planning to safeguard staff health  regards supply of masks or restricting trade, etc

25 minutes ago, more said:

Strong logic..getting upset at mum not isolating...while you are not isolating...

Even in isolation as per the instructions from the UK prime minister, you are allowed out for 1 hour to get some exercise as long as you do it on your own or with 1 member of your family and stay 1.5 metres away from others.

I do have a funny story. I was swimming off Balmoral, doing about 3 kms and there were 2-3 people in the water. In all of that space I did manage to bump into another swimmer as my googles had fogged up. What are the chances of smashing into another swimmer in about 3 square kms? We both apologised and had a good laugh.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 hours ago, Merv said:

Scomo looks a wreck, he is thinking I didn't sign up for this shit.

I'm seeing lots of people in leadership positions lately who clearly never thought they'd actually have to 'lead'... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Abby said:

I'm seeing lots of people in leadership positions lately who clearly never thought they'd actually have to 'lead'... 🤦‍♂️

A lot like those sailors that complained that they never joined the armed forces to actually go to war when they were sent to the Gulf War.

20 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

Even in isolation as per the instructions from the UK prime minister, you are allowed out for 1 hour to get some exercise as long as you do it on your own or with 1 member of your family and stay 1.5 metres away from others.

And did you perhaps consider that was what the mum was doing with her kids? Id imagine there are quite a few anxious parents out there with kids bouncing off the walls who need to take them for a walk to burn off some energy. Think twice before judging others...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mr Flower said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-lockdown-uk-self-isolation-social-distancing-a9414581.html

Sounds like a lot of Italians are ignoring the lock down...probably be similar here.

28 minutes ago, Mr Flower said:

The kids did come close, but that is not my point. People are screaming to say shut the schools down but that will just mean that a lot of kids will just mingle with the rest of the population. My point is that the kids should be at home attending school online if they are not at school. Otherwise they are truants.

Not sure where you live but Victoria has declared it a holiday, although unlike any other, and suggested kids not do school work until after Easter.  That said, no way I would take mine down the river front, but I wouldn't go there either, too much chance of multiple others doing the same thing and making social distancing an issue.

NSW schools don't go on leave till Easter so they would lose three weeks, Vic was due to break next week so only losing one week of schooling. 

My daughter is in her HSC year, tears are a daily occurrence at the moment due to the confusion and uncertainty. 

9 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Not sure where you live but Victoria has declared it a holiday, although unlike any other, and suggested kids not do school work until after Easter.  That said, no way I would take mine down the river front, but I wouldn't go there either, too much chance of multiple others doing the same thing and making social distancing an issue.

NSW, so as Roxii said, kids have another 2 weeks of school until the Easter holidays.

Good luck to your daughter Roxii. It is going to be a tough time for Year 12 students, especially if they cannot be at school where the support structures are there to help them through this stressful time.

14 minutes ago, roxii said:

My daughter is in her HSC year, tears are a daily occurrence at the moment due to the confusion and uncertainty. 

I know final year is tough for them. I posted this on FB for some friends of mine that were stressing about their kids.

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Don't worry about them regressing school. kid they be ok. When back classroom, will all course correct and meet them where they are. Teachers experts at this! Don't pick with your kids because they don't do Don't at for following schedule. mandate hours of learning time if they are resisting it. If can leave you with thing, it's this: at the end of all of this, your kids' mental health will be important their academic skills. them memory they during those 4 more weeks is long gone. So keep that in mind. every single day.'

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Mr Flower said:

Good luck to your daughter Roxii. It is going to be a tough time for Year 12 students, especially if they cannot be at school where the support structures are there to help them through this stressful time.

Thanks mate, 

She is sort of hoping they go the way of the UK and just use the assessments completed so far to give the HSC results as Bree is good at her assessments but goes to water in exams. 

On a side note its her 18th this Friday. 

We went from a big party, to dinner with 20 or so friends, to dinner with a few friends, now we are looking at Pizzas at home. 

For her presents she wanted us to renew her gym membership and get her a voucher for a massage and spa treatment.

Poor kid cant take a trick. 

• Sad 3
3 minutes ago, roxii said:

On a side note its her 18th this Friday. 

We went from a big party, to dinner with 20 or so friends, to dinner with a few friends, now we are looking at Pizzas at home. 

For her presents she wanted us to renew her gym membership and get her a voucher for a massage and spa treatment.

Poor kid cant take a trick. 

Probably not what your daughter is after, but for anyone else deciding on take-away options. A number of strippers from clubs that have closed down are now doing takeaway deliveries under the guise of "Boober Eats". Should be in Aus any day now.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

I hope you don’t think Italy brought in the total lockdown and then ended up in the situation they have now. Italy didn’t act until it was too late.

They were about the slowest to act at all.

People arriving in Aus airports only a few days ago were not getting healthy and temp checks. Just signed a stat dec to self isolate. Other countries border measures have been much stronger for weeks now.

Edited by Mike Del
5 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Does anyone really think they can have any faith in the infection rate stats, esp those coming out of China?

And is anyone surprised the worst health crisis in recent history originated in China?

Not at all, on both counts 

How one of the most authoritarian regimes on earth still allows it's people to eat f*cking bats is beyond me

5 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Does anyone really think they can have any faith in the infection rate stats, esp those coming out of China?

Absolutely not and now they are easing the lockdown in Hubei province with Wuhan soon to follow, pretty concerning.

8 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's a traditional food in many parts of the world. People on traditional diets here still eat lizards and grubs.

*Trigger warning*

Their choice of traditional food is f*cked up, if that's the case.  And it's f*cking the rest of us up

2 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

It really depends on the testing and how responsible the people are being. The Italians were f**cking around even with the lockdown in place and extensive testing only really started when things got bad, skewing the data. They test more people, they get higher numbers of people testing positive. So the previous week they test 10'000 and 1000 test positive, the next week they test 30'000 and report the number of people testing positive has shot up. In Wuhan numbers continued to rise with the lockdown, then plateaued and then dropped. 

2 minutes ago, zed said:

In Wuhan numbers continued to rise with the lockdown, then plateaued and then dropped. 

Are you believing the numbers coming out from China? I would prefer to use the example of South Korea (and you could still be correct)

Edited by Mr Flower
4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

*Trigger warning*

Their choice of traditional food is f*cked up, if that's the case.  And it's f*cking the rest of us up

I agree (earth shakes). Those markets caused this and SARS. If this is the tradition can we please stop, the cost is a bit more than we can bear.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/19/health/coronavirus-animals-markets.html

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

How one of the most authoritarian regimes on earth still allows it's people to eat f*cking bats is beyond me

Didn't they see what happened to Ozzy when he bit the head off a bat?

14 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It's a traditional food in many parts of the world. People on traditional diets here still eat lizards and grubs.

But they dig them up out in the bush, there are only a handful of them, and they don't go anywhere, so basically in self-isolation anyway.  Not keeping them in a central market where millions of humans congregate every day.  If a zoonosis is going to go ballistic anywhere, China with it's huge population, 'interesting'  personal hygiene customs, and propensity to roam the globe gobbing everywhere is the prime place.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yep daily freakouts from my son, distraught at what is meant to almost be celebratory year.

15 hours ago, Mr Flower said:

Interesting to see our death rate is much lower than other countries. Theories? Are we testing more than other countries? Have we done a good job isolating the old and vulnerable? Or just lucky at the moment?

12 hours ago, Merv said:

Scomo looks a wreck, he is thinking I didn't sign up for this shit.

He got the job as they didn’t want the other 2

1 hour ago, roxii said:

NSW schools don't go on leave till Easter so they would lose three weeks, Vic was due to break next week so only losing one week of schooling. 

Vic was this week. So only missing 3 days as Friday was a pupil free day. 

58 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

There are lots of things people used to do in order to survive that have no place in modern society 

• Like 1

Imagine what is going to happen in 2 weeks time when school holidays start.

Apparently a complete closure of schools now is going to bring the entire health system to its knees?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

On the plus side, my fishing guiding partner knows how to cook carp so they are palatable, and I've worked out how to catch them on fly, the filthy fookers all seem to have survived the drought & fires, StillCarp2.thumb.jpg.3ab185b9776071f0e56375f376f677f1.jpgand they've not release the carp virus yet.  Maybe I can incubate another zoonosis 😨

Apparently there a about 200 total hospitalized at the moment out of approx 2200 cases.  So about 10%.

If we reach Italian type numbers of cases that is 7000 hospital beds...how many do we have in the country overall?

3 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Apparently there a about 200 total hospitalized at the moment out of approx 2200 cases.  So about 10%.

If we reach Italian type numbers of cases that is 7000 hospital beds...how many do we have in the country overall?

Not sure.  They have just announced that all elective surgeries are now cancelled so that will free up a lot.  
I have no doubt they will need to utilise various Indoor stadiums around Australia and put out a call for more health workers   

Just now, Prince said:

They have just announced that all elective surgeries are now cancelled so that will free up a lot.  

Announced. A Major Sydney hospital cancelled all electives 2 weeks ago.

Elective surgeries have been on and off.  Earlier this month my Dad had his surgery for knee op cancelled stating beds needed to be kept free for the virus.  Late last week he was then told it could proceed, with a date in April being booked in by the surgeon.  Qld shutting the border has now meant he cannot attend (travelling from near Tenterfield)

35 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Is that 200 in ICU or 200 just in hospital?

vastly different things.  

20 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is that 200 in ICU or 200 just in hospital?

vastly different things.  

Hospital, I think it was about a dozen in ICU.

Edited by Toolish
From nine.com.au...can't link to specific section just the scrolling list of covid 19 news.

Figures rise 'worrying'
By Brett Graham13:56

The number of COVID-19 cases in Australia has risen sharply once again, with 2252 people now infected around the country.

New South Wales continues to be the hotspot, with the Deputy Chief Medical Officer noting the figures are "worrying".

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fe7bb4ce0-df74-4589-ba83-6af9b6f879b4

However, Professor Paul Kelly says the health system is not buckling under the load.

"The majority of the cases are mild," Prof. Kelly said.

"Of those 2252 cases, only 197 of them have been hospitalised because they're sick.

"We are not overwhelming our hospital system at the moment with COVID-19."

Edited by Toolish
23 minutes ago, Toolish said:

"Of those 2252 cases, only 197 of them have been hospitalised because they're sick.

"We are not overwhelming our hospital system at the moment with COVID-19."

I'm assuming he added the "because they are sick" because at least to some point they were hospitalising everybody that tested positive. Have they stopped this?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

So why is elective surgeries being cancelled

With a small amount of family involvement and limited info;

"Recovery" units (post op) have ventilators etc and can be used as extra ICU capacity.  Staff are being retrained or upskilled to cover that type of nursing.  Whole hospitals are having extra ICU wards and extra general wards prepped in readiness for huge numbers.  Whole wings are being rearranged so all the Covid patients are in the same area and away from everyone else.  The lack of available and appropriate  PPE for those staff is a massive issue.   In addition, all other specialist section within a hospital need to have the capacity to service a Covid19 patient with their needs (eg; a Covid19 +ve patient needs a stent or specialist scan), so all those units need preparations and PPE which they may or may not have access to.   

Back to the original Q, but the post op recovery areas equipment is otherwise deployed, and likely the space also.

Edited by Diamonds
5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Well we won't mention mad cow disease then which originated in the UK. That kinda screwed things up a bit for a while. Not quite like this has but I think we need to be careful about laying cultural blame.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

So why is elective surgeries being cancelled?

Because they can't afford to use all the supplies and equipment (e.g. PPE) on non essential medical care, they are saving that for the inevitable tide of COVID cases.

It's having an effect already - my nephew today had a fall and broke his knee cap. He was turned away from the hospital, hoping now to see if he can get some help privately.

I was at my regional hospital today (amputee clinic).

The "precautions" being taken against viral transmission were almost non-existent. I was horrified. People were mixing together, there was free movement about the place, I had staff talking right in my face (bit hard to walk away when you don't have your leg). It was very anxiety provoking, especially when we know there have been COVID cases in the region. Once I had a temporary leg to use I had to take myself outside for a while. If I didn't need to get my leg back I wouldn't have gone back in.

I also needed to go to the supermarket for supplies but I couldn't face it after that. Took the slow road home to help calm the nerves.

24 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

Well we won't mention mad cow disease then which originated in the UK. That kinda screwed things up a bit for a while. Not quite like this has but I think we need to be careful about laying cultural blame.

It did originate in the UK and the UK was extremely quick react with devastating measures for farmers and very restricted measures for the public.

The reason it became such a huge problem outside of the UK was because other countries (particularly some EU and African) denied having at all and didn't any measures in at all until it was way late. The UK explicitly told them what they had to do and nobody heeded the warning.

It wasn't a 'cultural thing' nobody had traditionally messed with the cow feed before. It was dumb cost saving end experimentation. Nothing to do with cultural eating habits.

Marmite on the other, is cultural and that's ****ed up. 😉

1 minute ago, FatPom said:

It was dumb cost saving end experimentation. Nothing to do with cultural eating habits.

I wasn't confining to cultural eating habits. Dumb cost saving end experimentation is also cultural.