Coronavirus

30 minutes ago, more said:

But as mentioned with Roxii if the people travelling overseas got the jab wouldn't this achieve this result? Of the 25million odd people in Australia I'd image only a small % would travel overseas? Thus I still don't understand the urgency to get everyone vaccinated? 

If everyone is vaccinated I assume that will mean that the snap state border closures will stop which will mean people can travel within Australia also.

As a Victorian I will not book a Queensland holiday until vaccinations mean that the lock outs stop. 

Or if I want to go to the UK I have to go through Sydney then there can be issues there with the way start borders shut.

This would all work if the states could guarentee no lockdowns or lock outs but without vaccination I can't see that agreement happening.

Edited by Toolish
  • Replies 10.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

Again, why the national cabinet should have been working on an agreed national solution.  If people could feel more comfortable about national travel, wouldn't that help the travel industry to some degree?

30 minutes ago, Toolish said:

If everyone gets the jab now my wife and thousands of others in the travel industry are probably more likey to keep their jobs?  

I wonder if vaccinations are going to become an entry condition for things like concerts etc too.

The travel and tourism industry is an interesting one, half the industry is going broke, the other half is gouging for all they are worth 

3 minutes ago, roxii said:

The travel and tourism industry is an interesting one, half the industry is going broke, the other half is gouging for all they are worth 

Not sure who is gouging, haven't kept track of it.  My mrs is a travel agent and that part of the sector is definately struggling.

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Vaccination shouldnt be a problem we are even discussing.  We should not even have to discuss x needs to go, or Y wants to go overseas, and look for excuses as to why, why not.  Our Govt has not upheld what they said they would do and we know it was very much possible as the usa and uk are doing it.  

We just have an appalling federal political system at the moment, the govt is a disgrace and the opposition cant even lay a glove on them..which is probably worse again.   

Thank God for the State Premiers doing and taking over Cwth responsibilities or we would have a heap more dead.

You do realise those two countries 

A: invented the vaccines, and can look after themselves

B: Really need them cause it's rampant

1 hour ago, more said:

That's the thing though huh, instead of worrying about vaccinating every body just vaccinate people like yourself who need to go overseas. Everyone else can wait, there is no rush??? 

Problem with this is that people today dont understand the difference between want and need.  There seems to be plenty of  Toms, Dicks and Karens that beleve that they need to travel overseas to Bali (or some other cheap tourist destination) for their holidays when its really only a want.  These are the people who will stuff it up for all those who have a valid need to travel.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, more said:

The USA and UK are proper ****ed..so they need the vaccine. 

Besides political point scoring what is the problem? What difference will it make if you get jabbed now or in 6 months time? 

Australia has been very lucky so far managing to get through last winter with only Victoria going into a protracted lock down.

There is still a real risk of it escaping HQ again and Winter isn't far away. If it's spread is reduced by the vaccines, hopefully we won't be locked down another 100+ days. Plus if the symptoms are reduced as claimed fewer vulnerable people will die. 

9 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Thank God for the State Premiers doing and taking over Cwth responsibilities or we would have a heap more dead.

Sure, provided you are okay with unnecessary border closures and ridiculous shutdowns, the hoarding of vaccines for no reason, and the occasional f**k up with jabbing the wrong doses and the giving someone the wrong vacines, they are doing well.  Lol

13 hours ago, dazaau said:

You do realise those two countries 

A: invented the vaccines, and can look after themselves

B: Really need them cause it's rampant

Yes I do and we are just another "mistake" from shut down again.  We are seriously blessed NSW Health is a competent Govt Dept otherwise Australia would be stuffed already, let alone potentially again if it runs riot due to not enabling the delivery of the vaccine over the last 12-18 months.... even though saying they were on top of it, ie front of queue, 4 million by April. Its not lost that state border shut downs get state govt blame, they dont get federal govt blame re border control, quarantine and lack of vaccine.

Just don't lie if you cant do, say 4 million by xmas 2021, not by April, step up, don't bullshit... and if its not bullshit, it means they are not in control.  I totally accept the majority of Australians vote the same way, never change and accept in blind faith what a slo mo or albo says, but that doesn't mean people in leadership roles should stoop to taking advantage of that... and thats the problem of modern politics, they do, then people make excuses for them because of this blind faith and accept second best, mediocrity and we suffer as a country, which at the moment is socially and economically.

As I said, we shouldn't even be having this discussion, it should be a non issue with 12 months in the enabling of vaccine delivery, we should be like other pissant countries such as Israel or Chile.  At the speed slo mo is going, it appears our strategy is as simple as letting the uk or usa get to saturation point and then send excess production our way......  if it is, just say that....problem is, already said front of queue, 4 million by April and cant contradict...

13 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

Problem with this is that people today dont understand the difference between want and need.  There seems to be plenty of  Toms, Dicks and Karens that beleve that they need to travel overseas to Bali (or some other cheap tourist destination) for their holidays when its really only a want.  These are the people who will stuff it up for all those who have a valid need to travel.

vaccine is more than just travel, its about our economy and way of life.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Toolish said:

If everyone is vaccinated I assume that will mean that the snap state border closures will stop which will mean people can travel within Australia also.

As a Victorian I will not book a Queensland holiday until vaccinations mean that the lock outs stop. 

Or if I want to go to the UK I have to go through Sydney then there can be issues there with the way start borders shut.

This would all work if the states could guarentee no lockdowns or lock outs but without vaccination I can't see that agreement happening.

Really?  I’ve been to Queensland 3 times, here now and also to Newcastle since 1st dec.  The only trip I back out of was to Sydney at Christmas as it looked like we could get trapped there (and people did).

I booked to Byron last Easter and it was totally refunded.  All airlines are doing that when you book.

by not deciding to book anything means you won’t ever go. 

its a bit Like people that won’t swim in the ocean as a shark might get them.  

if you live your life like that, you’ll never do anything. 

13 hours ago, -- AJ -- said:

So wrong. 
deluded almost 

27 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Yes I do and we are just another "mistake" from shut down again.  We are seriously blessed NSW Health is a competent Govt Dept otherwise Australia would be stuffed already, let alone potentially again if it runs riot due to not enabling the delivery of the vaccine over the last 12-18 months.... even though saying they were on top of it, ie front of queue, 4 million by April. Its not lost that state border shut downs get state govt blame, they dont get federal govt blame re border control, quarantine and lack of vaccine.

Just don't lie if you cant do, say 4 million by xmas 2021, not by April, step up, don't bullshit... and if its not bullshit, it means they are not in control.  I totally accept the majority of Australians vote the same way, never change and accept in blind faith what a slo mo or albo says, but that doesn't mean people in leadership roles should stoop to taking advantage of that... and thats the problem of modern politics, they do, then people make excuses for them because of this blind faith and accept second best, mediocrity and we suffer as a country, which at the moment is socially and economically.

As I said, we shouldn't even be having this discussion, it should be a non issue with 12 months in the enabling of vaccine delivery, we should be like other pissant countries such as Israel or Chile.  At the speed slo mo is going, it appears our strategy is as simple as letting the uk or usa get to saturation point and then send excess production our way......  if it is, just say that....problem is, already said front of queue, 4 million by April and cant contradict...

Yes, it's fair to say that are not in control, Australia don't have much to bargain with either. 

Our road out of this will be complicated, that is for sure.

8 minutes ago, dazaau said:

Yes, it's fair to say that are not in control, Australia don't have much to bargain with either. 

Our road out of this will be complicated, that is for sure.

Think the best way out is a another GFC/ Covid hand out...but about 6 weeks before the election...lol

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Really?  I’ve been to Queensland 3 times, here now and also to Newcastle since 1st dec.  The only trip I back out of was to Sydney at Christmas as it looked like we could get trapped there (and people did).

I booked to Byron last Easter and it was totally refunded.  All airlines are doing that when you book.

by not deciding to book anything means you won’t ever go. 

its a bit Like people that won’t swim in the ocean as a shark might get them.  

if you live your life like that, you’ll never do anything. 

Were they trips with the wife and kids or trips for you alone?

We were booked as a family to go to the USA last September, that obviously didn't happen, booking another family holiday and then having the disappointment of having to tell the kids the trip they were looking forward to has been cancelled again is just not worth it in my mind.  We will stick to holidays closer to home for now, but each to thier own.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, roxii said:

That’s the problem, I’d like to go os to visit my dad but I can’t get a jab and looks like I won’t be fully vaccinated till next year now. He’s 83 I’m running out of chances to see him. 

Roxii, I've just lived your greatest fear. My 82yo father just passed away on 27th March. Pneumonia not Covid. But Covid prevented my 2020 trip, (hence, I last saw my Dad alive in 2018), then UK lock downs kept my Mum and Dad apart for six months. He had to go into a care home last October as Mum could no longer cope, then bang, lockdown. Fortunately, the lock down was eased a few weeks prior to his passing so Mum could go and hold his hand for the first time in six months. My brother returned to the UK to support Mum. I could probably get out OK, but cannot risk 4-6 months to get back home.

FCK COVID!

• Sad 8

Oh mate, I’m so sorry to hear that. 
My sincere condolences. 
My mum passed in Feb 2016 but we had been there in January and I was also able to hop on a flight next day and get there for the funerals. 

These things we take for granted and that others may not even consider can have a long and substation impact on people. 

Again condolences mate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/04/2021 at 9:20 PM, Toolish said:

AND......Victoria has just started accepting international arrivals again :( I mean third times a charm, but I am wondering if SportsBet are running a book on them failing again? 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/delays-will-increase-the-chance-of-lockdowns-mckell-institute-warns-of-1-4b-hit-to-economy-20210409-p57htz.html

What I am concerned about personally is that there is another leak, and they don't have the metro Melbourne "ring of steel" in place, this means any lockdown for Melbourne will automatically apply for regional Victoria, like it did in February, which meant my parents or my sister could not go more than 5k from home, which is NSW! (My sister is in Mildura and mum and dad are in Echuca). Hopefully Gladys can set up a traffic light system. Then at least if there is a breach my parents will be able to make it to my wedding if HQ screws up again.

As for QLD, I think they now have rules around who can treat CV-19 patients, based on their vaccination status, at least that is a step in the right direction.

16 hours ago, chris said:

Just read now they are saying next year before everyone has there first shot.

we are going to be watching the rest of the world move on that’s for sure

The rest of the world is an absolute disaster, what they would give to have an entire country with no active cases. Them moving on is like a hobo upgrading from a cardboard box to a shopping trolley 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, MissJess said:

AND......Victoria has just started accepting international arrivals again :( I mean third times a charm, but I am wondering if SportsBet are running a book on them failing again? 

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/delays-will-increase-the-chance-of-lockdowns-mckell-institute-warns-of-1-4b-hit-to-economy-20210409-p57htz.html

What I am concerned about personally is that there is another leak, and they don't have the metro Melbourne "ring of steel" in place, this means any lockdown for Melbourne will automatically apply for regional Victoria, like it did in February, which meant my parents or my sister could not go more than 5k from home, which is NSW! (My sister is in Mildura and mum and dad are in Echuca). Hopefully Gladys can set up a traffic light system. Then at least if there is a breach my parents will be able to make it to my wedding if HQ screws up again.

As for QLD, I think they now have rules around who can treat CV-19 patients, based on their vaccination status, at least that is a step in the right direction.

If Dan is still on sick leave they might have a slight chance of not ****ing it up again.. 

Edited by more
  • Haha 1

Someone on the radio had an interesting take on it this morning, something that I tend to agree with. 

Australia  has got to this point through the sacrifice of the general public and at the expense of many vulnerable people and small businesses, and now by not getting the vaccination rollout moving quickly and efficiently they are not repaying that sacrifice. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Someone on the radio had an interesting take on it this morning, something that I tend to agree with. 

Australia  has got to this point through the sacrifice of the general public and at the expense of many vulnerable people and small businesses, and now by not getting the vaccination rollout moving quickly and efficiently they are not repaying that sacrifice. 

But what's stopping the roll out, fears of vacation complications or limited supplies? Genuine question I haven't been following it all that closely 

Just now, more said:

But what's stopping the roll out, fears of vacation complications or limited supplies? Genuine question I haven't been following it all that closely 

According to the news its because GPs won't administer the AZ vaccine due to potential legal/litigation issues if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe the Government can indemnify the GP and take the responsibility if something goes wrong.

The messaging is confusing. Government and medical advice is not to use the AZ on under 50's. Then Health people come out on TV saying they will offer it after discussions with the patients.

6 minutes ago, more said:

Its a bit of all of the above, plus confusion about fed/ state responsibilities, indemnity as AJ has said, backing the wrong horse, not getting local supplies moving quickly enough, not having the infrastructure and training ready in advance just a total cluster fluff. 

As people have said, Feds don't/ can't do "delivery".  

• Like 1

I'm 49 and a half..... oh the dilemma?  Unless they cancel my June appointment, I'm getting it.

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

I'm 49 and a half..... oh the dilemma?  Unless they cancel my June appointment, I'm getting it.

Based on the information you gave us, it looks like you are not a part of the current phase. You will be a part of Phase 2b.

Right now, we are in Phase 1b.

The rollout is expected to reach Phase 2b around the middle of 2021.

15 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

I'd question whether governments at any level can do "delivery" on a schedule.

Always knew it would never be done by October like scomo and @Princeclaimed. 

im not that clever but even I knew it was never scomos goal.  

He need to keep this going to just before the next election. 

49 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Based on the information you gave us, it looks like you are not a part of the current phase. You will be a part of Phase 2b.

Right now, we are in Phase 1b.

The rollout is expected to reach Phase 2b around the middle of 2021.

Due to my prior strokes, I'm 1b.  Had my first dose 2 weeks ago.

1 hour ago, goughy said:

They said those under 50 who have already had their 1st shot and had no issues will get the 2nd, only call is on your GP now. 

Edited by MissJess
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Its a bit of all of the above, plus confusion about fed/ state responsibilities, indemnity as AJ has said, backing the wrong horse, not getting local supplies moving quickly enough, not having the infrastructure and training ready in advance just a total cluster fluff. 

As people have said, Feds don't/ can't do "delivery".  

i would back the Feds to do delivery any day over the States. The States couldn't manage a root in a brothel. 

3 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Hmm I've had one stroke does that get me in

Yes, but you need to talk to your GP. The groups on the list below are those at-risk groups of severe CV-19

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/advice-for-people-at-risk-of-coronavirus-covid-19

8 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Yes, but you need to talk to your GP. The groups on the list below are those at-risk groups of severe CV-19

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/advice-for-people-at-risk-of-coronavirus-covid-19

Hmm, it is 15 years since stroke so not sure if I am strokey enough

10 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Hmm I've had one stroke does that get me in

Do you get the flu shot free?  I do now as well.  I would assume it does.  You just have to fill out the online checker form, and it tells you if you can get it yet or not.  I took my hospital discharge summary with me to the vaccine clinic just in case I needed it for confirmation, but when I got there they fill out another online form and my health record stuff came up and I was fine for it.  She did tell me they charged someone $198 the week before because they claimed they were an essential health worker, but was no longer the case.  I'm assuming if you were going to your gp then things would be even smoother.

My wife expected she would be 1b due to her health issues, but she would only qualify if she was on various different medications, which she had all been on in the past but was no longer!  But at the gp last week she was booked in for her vaccination by her doc.  Granted, we'll have to see if that happens now.....

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Hmm, it is 15 years since stroke so not sure if I am strokey enough

Yeah, only two years for me.  But, it asks you in the online checker, so just be completely truthful and you'll get your answer.  And, if in doubt you can ring and ask them.  But, I think if you're getting it through your gp it will be a smoother process.  And you should check if you qualify for the flu jab for free!  My doc said I'll get it for free for life due to the strokes.

18 minutes ago, Prince said:

i would back the Feds to do delivery any day over the States. The States couldn't manage a root in a brothel. 

Apparently neither can the feds.  They have to do it in parliament house. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Yeah, only two years for me.  But, it asks you in the online checker, so just be completely truthful and you'll get your answer.  And, if in doubt you can ring and ask them.  But, I think if you're getting it through your gp it will be a smoother process.  And you should check if you qualify for the flu jab for free!  My doc said I'll get it for free for life due to the strokes.

I'm not in a rush to get it as we are very covid safe in Aus and the ACT. Technically I'm still on an OS post even though I'm here.

Anyways I want those who need it to get it before me. I'm holidaying at a big 4 and will most likely do so for ever none of those fancy inter state travel for me

1 hour ago, goughy said:

Due to my prior strokes, I'm 1b.  Had my first dose 2 weeks ago.

I'm also 1B, and can get my jab at the moment (waiting until after my flu vac).  Meanwhile my wife is 1A and still can't get a jab.  Roll out is going beautifully....

five months after ...announced Australians were “at the front of the queue” for vaccination, our rollout is presently ranked 104th in the world – sandwiched between Lebanon and Bangladesh – based on the latest seven-day average vaccination rate. 

Australians understand this is a race. It is a race between our vaccination rollout to eliminate the virus from our shores, and the rolling risk of the virus mutating.

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

I'm also 1B, and can get my jab at the moment (waiting until after my flu vac).  Meanwhile my wife is 1A and still can't get a jab.  Roll out is going beautifully....

Is that because she's getting Pfizer?

I just read that Pfizer now can be kept in a normal freezer for 2 weeks, and a fridge for 5 days!  That will ease thing a bit, later in the year!

48 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

It is a race between our vaccination rollout to eliminate the virus from our shores, and the rolling risk of the virus mutating.

A race we could never win.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, goughy said:

Is that because she's getting Pfizer?

Nope.my wife is an aged care nurse in regional Victoria.  At present the patients in the home she works in got their first shot 3 weeks ago, none of the staff have any indication on when they will get the shot.  Meanwhile the local GPs are taking appointments for the shot

Nothing to do with the vaccine, however my wife has said she will wait for the Pfizer if no delay well before the rollout commenced