Coronavirus

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

A premier going to prime minister would be a step back if the last 12 months is anything to go by. 

the top job being the opposition leader I meant. She certainly has more relevance than the current one. 

Edited by Prince
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Swab result - Covid negative. Just a coincidental illness. Means I can leave the house! Hooray! Have cancelled ambulance shift for Sunday because still feeling under the weather but back out again nex

On behalf of everyone else here on Trannies (apologies to those who I purport to be speaking for who don't share my view), mate, would you mind putting a lid on your intentionally inflammatory comment

Thought I'd check in with you all. Have to say I'm struggling a bit with redundancy, the virus and its knock on effects. Trying to stay positive but feeling quite 'isolated' over here now and starting

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Until the ‘Health’ pandemic is over.

But I agree - where the heck is Albo. 

Was injured in a car crash last week and hospitalised.

Just now, Prince said:

holidays perhaps? 

He was in a car crash the other day and has at least been bringing some pressure to bear on vaccines. But agree he is a bit like the invisible man which is what happens in a pandemic when you’re in opposition. 

2 hours ago, truck said:

He was in a car crash the other day and has at least been bringing some pressure to bear on vaccines. But agree he is a bit like the invisible man which is what happens in a pandemic when you’re in opposition. 

Its hard To argue against what the fed liberals are doing when they are doing nothing. 

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

Its hard To argue against what the fed liberals are doing when they are doing nothing. 

Isnt the definition of the perfect politican to appear to be doing absolutely everything by doing absolutely nothing

• Haha 1

And if you want to get something approaching some real empirical, vetted, considered evidence on this whole Covid saga - 

https://cepr.org/content/covid-economics-vetted-and-real-time-papers-0

A few interesting snippets from selected abstracts:

"We find that while lockdown measures lead to reductions in disease transmission rates as captured by the reproduction number, R_t, gathering bans appear to be more effective than workplace and school closures, both of which are associated with large declines in gross domestic product"

"We identify the effects of social distancing policy on reducing the transmission of the COVID-19 spread. We build a model that measures the relative frequency and geographic distribution of COVID-19 infections and provides hypothetical infection distribution in the counties that enacted social distancing policy. We apply the model to a panel of daily COVID-19 infection cases of all counties in the United States and find social distancing lowered the average daily infection cases by 12%. We further provide evidence that the effects are heterogeneous in an individual's income, race, education, and political belief."

"South Korea is an interesting case because its policy response in the early stages of the pandemic did not involve such restrictive measures......Our results show that consumers adjusted their response as a function of the local and national evolution of the pandemic, refraining from exposing themselves to the health risk in cities and sectors that are relatively more exposed to the virus. This implies that consumers’ voluntary response to the pandemic can contribute to alleviate the trade-off between health and economic objectives, minimising the economic cost and mitigating the spread of the virus"

"Overall, the evidence suggests that loose pandemic policies are politically costly. Governments that placed more weight on health rather than short-term economic outcomes obtained higher approval."

From the Japan experience - "Our results suggest that what is necessary to contain the spread of COVID-19 is not strong, legally binding measures but the provision of appropriate information that encourages people to change their behavior".

From the Europe experience - "Based on PPML methods and a Bayesian INLA approach we find that border controls had a significant effect to limit the pandemic".

And just in case you thought science and economics guided Covid policy - "Pandemics have heterogeneous effects on the health and economic outcomes of members of the population. To stay in power, politician-policymakers have to consider the health vulnerability- economic vulnerability (HV–EV) profiles of their coalition. We show that the politically optimal pandemic policy (POPP) reveals the HV–EV profile of the smallest, rather than the largest, group in the coalition. The logic of political survival dictates that the preferences of the least loyal, most pivotal, members of the coalition determine policy".

37,000 aussies still abroad wanting to come home but in the same week we halved the numbers coming back (and Emirates now doesn't fly to any Eastern city anymore), Melbourne found room for a (reported) 1000 players/coaches for the Aus Open.  And lets face it, not all the players are traveling so it's not really an 'Open' just like the ones held last year so why didn't they cancel or postpone it?

12 minutes ago, truck said:

37,000 aussies still abroad wanting to come home but in the same week we halved the numbers coming back (and Emirates now doesn't fly to any Eastern city anymore), Melbourne found room for a (reported) 1000 players/coaches for the Aus Open.  And lets face it, not all the players are traveling so it's not really an 'Open' just like the ones held last year so why didn't they cancel or postpone it?

Money.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, truck said:

If theres one thing that this pandemic has shown, its that Mrs and Mrs Public cannot be trusted.  Every other week there been a story of people not doing the right thing.  Escaping quarintine, lieing on border forms etc and I reckon what we hear is only the tip of the iceberg.  Hell even our elected leaders cant be trusted to do the right thing.

My guess is that (like most other sports these days) that the tennis players have a designated "bubble" where they can go and thats it.  If they're not training or playing or being transported by designated drivers in designated vehicle then they're in their rooms or hotel.  Any breach of that and they'll be on the next plane out.

And so it begins:

Two people onboard a specially chartered flight into Melbourne for the Australian Open have tested positive for coronavirus, meaning players travelling with them will be confined to their rooms and unable to train for 14 days.

30-love 

32 minutes ago, -- AJ -- said:

If theres one thing that this pandemic has shown, its that Mrs and Mrs Public cannot be trusted.  Every other week there been a story of people not doing the right thing.  Escaping quarintine, lieing on border forms etc and I reckon what we hear is only the tip of the iceberg.  Hell even our elected leaders cant be trusted to do the right thing.

My guess is that (like most other sports these days) that the tennis players have a designated "bubble" where they can go and thats it.  If they're not training or playing or being transported by designated drivers in designated vehicle then they're in their rooms or hotel.  Any breach of that and they'll be on the next plane out.

Unlike the AFL guys and the cricket team??

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, roxii said:

And so it begins:

Two people onboard a specially chartered flight into Melbourne for the Australian Open have tested positive for coronavirus, meaning players travelling with them will be confined to their rooms and unable to train for 14 days.

30-love 

So much for us only letting people fly that tested negative.  

did the so called journalist, say how many were on the infected plane?

1 hour ago, roxii said:

good to see the Victoria government is applying the rules. 

“The Chief Health Officer has reviewed the flight and has determined that everyone on board needs to isolate and will be confined to their rooms for the 14 day quarantine period.

, the positive result means they’ll lose their five-hour windows for training and conditioning.

2 hours ago, roxii said:

And so it begins:

30-love 

So they were all tested before they boarded and could only board if negative. Flight was from LA. Whats that, 14 hours? 

Test positive on arrival. 

That is some damn timing.......

A spokesperson for COVID-19 Quarantine Victoria said the infections were in an aircrew member and an Australian Open participant who was not a player who have both been transferred to a “health hotel”.

“The passenger tested negative to his pre-departure test,” the spokesperson said.

“The aircrew member and the passenger have been interviewed and transferred to a health hotel as per normal processes for positive cases.

“All remaining 66 passengers on the flight have been determined to be close contacts. Any players and support people will not be able to leave quarantine to attend training.”

Yeah flight is 18 hours, possibly more. Charter flight, so would be direct. I'd assume in an environment like a plane that anyone who might have been negative prior would have had a good chance of the virus multiplying enough ((or catching it) and registering a positive result on the other end. 

Filthy things those long haul flights 🤣

Edited by MissJess
18 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Yeah flight is 18 hours, possibly more. Charter flight, so would be direct. I'd assume in an environment like a plane that anyone who might have been negative prior would have had a good chance of the virus multiplying enough ((or catching it) and registering a positive result on the other end. 

Not according to evidence:

An airplane cabin is probably one of the most secure conditions you can be in,” says Sebastian Hoehl of the Institute for Medical Virology at Goethe University Frankfurt in Germany, who has co-authored two papers on COVID-19 transmission on specific flights, which were published in JAMA Network Open and the New England Journal of Medicine, respectfully. Still, a handful of case studies have found that limited transmission can take place onboard. One such investigation of a 10-hour journey from London to Hanoi starting on March 1 found that 15 people were likely infected with COVID-19 in-flight—and that 12 of them had sat within a couple of rows of a single symptomatic passenger in business class. (The results were published this month in the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s journal Emerging Infectious Diseases.) Most of these flights occurred early on in the pandemic, however, and in the case of the March 1 flight, masks were likely not worn, the researchers wrote. Meanwhile a recent Department of Defense study modeled the risk of in-flight infection using mannequins exhaling simulated virus particles and found that a person would have to be exposed to an infectious passenger for at least 54 hours to get an infectious dose. This finding assumes the infected passenger is wearing a surgical mask, however, and it does not account for the dangers involved in removing the mask for meals or talking or in moving about on the plane.

41 minutes ago, MissJess said:

Yeah flight is 18 hours, possibly more.

maybe the charter flight is slower then?  smaller plane? 

I flew LA to Sydney many times and im fairly sure it wasnt 18 hrs (it was 15 years ago though, when I lived in California).  Melbs is only a little further. 

Edited by Turts
41 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I saw an interview with Alan Joyce where he said that airplane air is

Pushed from the top to the bottom.

filtered 5 times faster than operating theatres 

and used the same filters as operating theatres. 

supports the post above. 

The trouble with this particular flight where all that falls away is that the air hostess was positive and probably had contact with everyone in her section. 

I also guess all players and passengers are tested before the flight but maybe not air crew. They are just tested on arrival as per the new Victoria testing system. 

Dan Andrews certainly won’t be the poster boy for travel.

He said Victorians planning interstate travel need to be aware to the possibility their plans could change.

Basically  that means don’t bother booking anything. 

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

Dan Andrews certainly won’t be the poster boy for travel.

He said Victorians planning interstate travel need to be aware to the possibility their plans could change.

Basically  that means don’t bother booking anything. 

I hate the prick but don’t want this winter to be like last winter.  So ....

mind you, just stumped up for a cycling licence today, so guessing that could backfire like it did last year. 

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

And apparently a positive on another of the tennis flights now.

Yep, another passenger but not a player. So another plane load of players in hard 14 day quarantine with no outings. 

Melbourne will run out of treadmills and spin bikes soon 

https://www.9news.com.au/national/australian-open-coronavirus-second-charter-flight-records-positive-covid19-case/365e6652-6816-4be5-9c9b-85e94f6f6d20?ocid=Social-9News

• Like 1
15 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

And if you want to get something approaching some real empirical, vetted, considered evidence on this whole Covid saga - 

https://cepr.org/content/covid-economics-vetted-and-real-time-papers-0

A few interesting snippets from selected abstracts:

Pretty sure I'm closer to 'something approaching'  🤣

4 hours ago, MissJess said:

Yeah flight is 18 hours, possibly more.

Unless they had a detour it can't be.  I think I've done Syd-SF approx 15times and the longest without stack I remember was approx 14.5hrs.

Edited by FatPom
1 hour ago, roxii said:

Can Ash Barty win by forfeit?

With some players  not coming, some not able to come because they tested positive, and now a whole lot unable to train for 14 days, its going to be a debacle of an Open! 

22 minutes ago, Turts said:

With some players  not coming, some not able to come because they tested positive, and now a whole lot unable to train for 14 days, its going to be a debacle of an Open! 

I'm amazed they are having it all TBH.

8 hours ago, FatPom said:

Pretty sure I'm closer to 'something approaching'  🤣

Yes, the reason I diverted off the path from a career in academia (was headed down the Phd path) was because of something I could not quite put my finger on at the time.  But now realise it was analysis paralysis.  You can analyse things to the Nth degree, but at some point, you have to act if you want to make something happen.  Thankfully, my current job allows that.  Still, I learned some great research skills while at the Uni.  But for most, your real-life/street smart skills will be severely diminished in academia.

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

I'm amazed they are having it all TBH.

Me too.  Gobsmacked.  As other's have said, we close borders, won't let residents back, but happy to fly in overpaid tennis players from the most infected nations on earth.  Batshit crazy.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Turts said:

They still will have a week out but yeah its unlucky For some. 

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yes, the reason I diverted off the path from a career in academia (was headed down the Phd path) was because of something I could not quite put my finger on at the time.  But now realise it was analysis paralysis.  You can analyse things to the Nth degree, but at some point, you have to act if you want to make something happen.  Thankfully, my current job allows that.  Still, I learned some great research skills while at the Uni.  But for most, your real-life/street smart skills will be severely diminished in academia.

The job I'm in now and the team I manage is a bit too close to it all really but we are where we are but we are where are, as they they say.

10 hours ago, Turts said:

As are most of us. 

Although outraged seems a better word to describe it

Just in conversation with two people in the last week, one originally from Scotland the other from Wales who have both lost a parent in the last 9 months but couldn’t get home to the funeral. It’s not just leaving Aus that’s a PITA where you have to get a leave pass from ‘Sir’ at their discretion, it’s having virtually no certainty as to when you can get back here to your family/job. That’s unless you’re Tony Abbott or have a bucket load of $$$’s. And then the whinging from the tennis players has already started about meals and lack of freedom. I really hope Dan thinks it was worth it. 

So how are people like Belinda granger able to fly in and out international amd not stranded families?

is it because she flys business and these other people are flying economy?  

surely if you were desperate to get home just pay 15k and fly first class and get home.  Airlines aren’t going to bump someone paying 15k over someone paying $2000

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

surely if you were desperate to get home just pay 15k and fly first class and get home.  Airlines aren’t going to bump someone paying 15k over someone paying $2000

And that’s why a family of 4 is looking at $50-70k to get home. Economy fares get immediately bumped and whoever pays most gets in (or is connected)

2 hours ago, truck said:

And that’s why a family of 4 is looking at $50-70k to get home. Economy fares get immediately bumped and whoever pays most gets in (or is connected)

My cousin and his wife flew home business class from New York before Xmas. Not sure what it cost but cheaper than staying in the USA.  

im sure if for example @FatPom and his family wanted to escape back to Australia and needed help with some cash, the community here would step up to help him come business. 

Always said, rich tennis players won’t play by the rules.  They only care about themselves and not anyone else.  

Dan Andrews and Brett Sutton should put anyone doing this on the first plane out of the country. 

BEAA4E05-05A1-41A7-B615-13BA6B66D28E.jpeg

C1E14285-6A9E-4A55-83A5-F5C8EE2EDA0D.jpeg

697AC8E2-A386-42DC-A1B3-CA7D030F8791.jpeg